Advertising Alchohol

bungalowbill

Am I mistaken or was there a new law that alcohol could not be advertised? I noticed the ads for booze are back up again...specifically the very huge one on the building on Changklan rd. for 100 pipers. I hope the law on the time of day alcholol can be purchased will also be forgotten.

Am I mistaken or was there a new law that alcohol could not be advertised? I noticed the ads for booze are back up again...specifically the very huge one on the building on Changklan rd. for 100 pipers. I hope the law on the time of day alcholol can be purchased will also be forgotten.

theres a huge Smirnorf one in the nightmarket as well,

the laws never an issue when buying 10 litres or more :o

Like most laws in Thailand - when there is no crackdown they aren't enforced. :o

I used to hear that 7-11 actually obeyed the rules about selling booze in the afternoon (what, from 2 to 5?), but when I stop and get 2 bottles of Spy wine, they never flinch and sell it to me, and I'm sure it's after 2 pm sometimes.

Stupid laws shouldn't be enforced! :o

I used to hear that 7-11 actually obeyed the rules about selling booze in the afternoon (what, from 2 to 5?), but when I stop and get 2 bottles of Spy wine, they never flinch and sell it to me, and I'm sure it's after 2 pm sometimes.

I think they should enforce it on horrific liquids like Spy at the very least.

This has been the case in most of the 7/11 stores in the central area. Out of town, or the local one you are well known at don't seem to have a problem in taking your money :o

This has been the case in most of the 7/11 stores in the central area. Out of town, or the local one you are well known at don't seem to have a problem in taking your money :o

True, I was a regular customer in that local 7-11 before I became hopelessly, slovenly debauched to drinking 200 ml per day of that high-class strong beverage, which is the only alcoholic drink that doesn't taste like warm piss or witch hazel.

True, I was a regular customer in that local 7-11 before I became hopelessly, slovenly debauched to drinking 200 ml per day of that high-class strong beverage, which is the only alcoholic drink that doesn't taste like warm piss or witch hazel.

Right on, PB!

I never thought I would run into anyone else who also had extensive experience in tasting warm piss and witch hazel but..

here you are.. :D

I seem to have no shortage of warm piss (we are a family after all) but can you tell me where to find witch hazel in CM?

As to advertising alcohol in Thailand, is the OP kidding me? When I give directions to our village off Hangdong Rd, I tell friends to watch for the tallest sign for kilometers which is the "Johnnie Walker" sign... :o

Edited by Dustoff

That law only lasted about a month, or until Boon Rawd finally came up with the correct weight in "tea money" to start advertising again.

Rimping Mee Chok will check bin separately with your alcohol, while Rimping Nim City couldn't give a toss. Go figure. :o

Right on, PB!

I never thought I would run into anyone else who also had extensive experience in tasting warm piss and witch hazel but..

here you are.. :D

I seem to have no shortage of warm piss (we are a family after all) but can you tell me where to find witch hazel in CM?

As to advertising alcohol in Thailand, is the OP kidding me? When I give directions to our village off Hangdong Rd, I tell friends to watch for the tallest sign for kilometers which is the "Johnnie Walker" sign... :o

No I'm not kidding you..that huge 100 pipers was down for about a year along with most of the other ones around town(I drive by it everyday)....I don't get out to Hang Dong much so maybe it was different out in the boonies..anyway In my opinion they should keep them down....put something nicer up that would benefit the community, escpecially for the impressionable kids...I know a lot of you like to joke about alcholol...I drink too...but I know for a fact there are lots of people out there who can't handle it and end up dead at an early age....I think most of us in Chiang Mai know at least one person who drank themselves do death..it ain't pretty..sorry to be so gloomy but that add ticked me off when I saw it back up again

No I'm not kidding you..that huge 100 pipers was down for about a year along with most of the other ones around town(I drive by it everyday)....I don't get out to Hang Dong much so maybe it was different out in the boonies..anyway In my opinion they should keep them down....put something nicer up that would benefit the community, escpecially for the impressionable kids...I know a lot of you like to joke about alcholol...I drink too...but I know for a fact there are lots of people out there who can't handle it and end up dead at an early age....I think most of us in Chiang Mai know at least one person who drank themselves do death..it ain't pretty..sorry to be so gloomy but that add ticked me off when I saw it back up again

I was not writing in support of advertising for alcohol (please learn to spell it) or anything else. Where I come from (Hawaii), billboards are not allowed at all and I would agree that if any country is going to post billboards, let's make them ones that are a positive influence on our children, yes?

Therein however lies the sad joke; that humanity is about to get it together anytime soon and, let's face it, we choose the way we not only kill ourselves but one another as a species and 'teach our children well'..

It is likely that the signs you see going up and down are more a matter of who can afford them than any 'new' regulations or laws.

Bless you for your concern for humanity, brother...

I know a lot of you like to joke about alcholol...I drink too...but I know for a fact there are lots of people out there who can't handle it and end up dead at an early age....I think most of us in Chiang Mai know at least one person who drank themselves do death..it ain't pretty..

I know one fellow that almost did, but then he switched to Heroin.

What a shame. :o

I know a lot of you like to joke about alcholol...I drink too...but I know for a fact there are lots of people out there who can't handle it and end up dead at an early age....I think most of us in Chiang Mai know at least one person who drank themselves do death..it ain't pretty..

There's a school of thought that heroin is less harmful to the health than alcohol if taken under controlled conditions. Doing a Google on the Swiss heroin trials makes fascinating reading and certainly contradicts what is popularly believed about the drug and it's users.

There's a school of thought that heroin is less harmful to the health than alcohol if taken under controlled conditions. Doing a Google on the Swiss heroin trials makes fascinating reading and certainly contradicts what is popularly believed about the drug and it's users.

Heroin was originally designed as a derivitive of opium that had some very specific advantages over its parent drug morphine. It was much more stable, was stored as a powder instead as a liquid, and had less side effects. The reason for this was that during the first world war morphine was used as a drug for soldiers badly wounded. To keep them settled until they could be evacuated behind the lines the medics continued to inject pure morphine into the wounded. This practice kept many of them alive but created a large group of men adicted to morphine. Heroin was perceived as a replacement but had a much stronger adiction rate and also unlike morphine which puts people to sleep (hence it name, derived from Morphia - goddess of sleep) Heroin triggers dreams and halucinations.

Heroin is a drug used by physcologists to treat psychotic patients, the psychotropic drugs including LSD were developed for the same purpose. As a treatment for cancer and severe pain heroin is sometimes a better choice than morphine being less severe on the digestive system. It also allows the patient to more easily manage their pain with metered dosage. Morphine can be self administered in a similar way using an IV with a self administer button. The problem with morphine in many patients is that it causes them to simply go to sleep. Heroin reduces the pain but allows the patient to remain concious and coherent.

The issue is not the drug, whether it be heroin, tobacco, cocaine, or marajuana. The problem is abuse of the drug. Most adults enjoy a drink but equally most of us will acknowledge that we on occassion abuse alcohol and become drunk. The problem with drugs is that abusing it has more severe consequences.

Getting back to the original post (finally) I think that the advertising of alcohol was a good idea, however it was easily circumvented as the legislators surely must have known. Suddenly instead of BEER Singha advertisements we had WATER Singha using exactly the same logo. Leo stopped advertising Leo Beer and upped its advertising of Leo Girls. If the government really wanted to be serious about the advertising of alcohol it would have stopped any broadcast of Everton football club on TV because they have a Chang logo on their shirt. That would never happen because the backlash from within the community and the extremely powerful (ie rich) Chang group would fight it and win.

This post is not in any way intended to start a debate on legalising drugs nor is it a comment on the use of drugs. It is simply to say that the problem with drugs is people.

CB