Durian

DurianChips

Can you eat durian?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My wife and I are enjoying some durian with sticky rice right now, and she is curious what percentage of farangs can eat it? So, let's open the floor to durian stories... first experiences, favorite durian snacks, etc. Of course, if you don't like durian, let's hear from you too...

And yes, I like it in chip form. :o

yes, occasionally eat, but not my favourite fruit - would eat when it's served during the meal or was offered to me.

would not buy and would not eat indoors.

it's a heavy fruit and should not be eaten in large quantities - some people get sick after eating too much

Yes, it is an extra special rich dessert, not for everyday. My favorite is fresh and chilled in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour before eating. Like wine, I find the temperature changes the taste and it is even more custardy that way. I don't think this is really an acquired taste, you either like it or you don't. Also like durian ice cream and durian moon cakes. It is my favorite fruit of all but in some ways not like a fruit, more like a dessert meat.

Edited by Jingthing

I can force it down....... :o ...but avoid it normally..........especially after seeing how a young cousin of my wife suddenly acquired a taste for it about 3 years ago and literally stuffed herself with the stuff, eventually putting on around 20 kgs. She used to be a very cute, petite girl............... she´s now a very fat, not-at-all cute young woman....... :D

It was definitely an acquired taste for me. Once in a while my wife would buy a bad one. By bad, I mean not ripe enough. The flesh is then firm and has very little smell. The taste reminded me of a hickory nut. Eventually I could eat it at any stage of ripeness and have to admit that I didn't know what I was missing. And YES, I had the normal farang reaction the first time I ever smelled a durian. What is the horrible smell?

My wife and I are enjoying some durian with sticky rice right now, and she is curious what percentage of farangs can eat it? So, let's open the floor to durian stories... first experiences, favorite durian snacks, etc. Of course, if you don't like durian, let's hear from you too...

And yes, I like it in chip form. :D

:o Yes.....I enjoy Durian.....but my Thai family is less keen on it than I am. It is very rich and it does put the weight on....but not anymore than pork sausages or bacon.

I was once down in Singapore during Durian season. There is a street there where Durian is sold....but the hotels had signs forbidding eating Durian in the hotel. Guess some of the guests couldn't take it.

:D

And yes, I like it in chip form. :o

Yup, love it.

The Professors by Victory Monument has the best Durian ice cream ever.

I can't eat it neither can my daughter (adopted) who is Thai, my husband who is Thai eats it, we have some Durian trees on our land. :D

The stuff stinks to high heaven. I can't even stand to go down the aisle at Carrefour's fruit counter when they are cutting the stuff. :o

Years ago when I was staying at the Royal Twin Hotel they had a sign prohibiting the bringing of durian into the hotel.

It was probably the sign that made me do it, but I decided I had to get some and eat it in my room.

The stuff I bought was already in a tray covered with clingfoil but as an extra precaution I wrapped it in a plastic bag before putting it in the bottom of another plastic bag underneath some apples and oranges.

Back at the hotel, I strode up confidently to the desk to ask for my key but the girl there glared at me and said "You have durian, mister?" .

"No, no." I lied, but she came back "I think you have, mister."

She must have had the sharpest sense of smell in Pattaya. Or else I was the world's worst bluffer.

She obviously didn't want to make a big deal of it so she let it go but she knew that I had it and she knew that I knew that she was right.

I didn't enjoy it much after that - there was far too much for me - but I can't remember how I disposed of the surplus. Certainly I didn't try smuggling it out past her again!

• 4 weeks later...

Like it very much. Not my favorite fruit. Mangosteen is...but it is an interesting taste that everyone should try at least once. I don't know what type I had the last time I was in BKK but it didn't have much of a bad smell to it.

I find that I like it very much, and the Thai people I come across are usually amused when I greedily accept an offering of Durien.

Maybe it makes more of a smell while being prepared. I always have had durien in either the gelatin tubes (apparently prepared for export to homesick Thais) or that was prepared and frozen for shipment.

A sweet and unusual taste, but good for me. Not an unpleasant smell, but relatively strong compared to other treats.

Our son's Thai nickname is "Durien". We came up with it while joking that he smells bad and will likely cause problems when we stay in hotels. :o

kenk3z

Have grown to really like durian.The montong variety is generally preferred by those in the know though there are quiet a few varieties.Staying on Koh Chang and having generous thai friends who have durian orchards has got me really missing it when I'm back in UK.

Walking round my local market in England the other day I caught a whiff of that familiar odor and asked how much the Duran were........ nearly needed a bank loan!