Marriage

How many weeks/months must you have been married to a Thai national before applying for a visa based on such marriage?

As far as the U.S. is concerned, about immediately. I've know couples who've known each other for some time then finally decided to do the deed, got married and applied for the IV.

However, best to consummate it first....

Mac

I've tried to put this question as simply as I can BUT. Can ANYONE, ANYONE AT ALL tell me HOW LONG ONE MUST HAVE BEEN MARRIED TO A THAI NATIONAL BEFORE THEY CAN APPLY FOR A VISA BASED ON BEING MARRIED TO A THAI NATIONAL. Dear God. I don't want to go to America, I KNOW I can apply for a visa based on support, BUT, BETWEEN REGISTERING SAID MARRIAGE AT LOCAL AMPHUR AND TRIP UP TO LOCAL IMMIGRATION FOR APPLICATION OF MARRIAGE VISA - HOW MANY WEEKS OR MONTHS MUST HAVE ELAPSED.

You can apply for a non immigrant O visa at a Consulate at any time after marriage, with the reason to visit your wife.

You can apply for a 60 day extension of your present stay one time at an Immigration office after your marriage to give you time to make plans.

If you intend to request yearly extensions of stay you can do so after having a non immigrant visa and proof of family income for a 3 month period that is 40k or more per month.

I apologise for the SHOUT, but a lot of assumptions have been made on the visa status of the enquirer. Where for instance did I ask IF a marriage visa could be obtained, or, that the visa was intended for relocation to the US?!

And Lopburi. Thankyou for your reply, but the person concerned already has a retirement visa and wanted to convert to a visa based upon marriage for reasons of simplification on both parts. The people are of equal age and the Thai partner would benefit from a hassle free transfer of property should the owner die, plus a UK pension. The intention is that the non Thai partner and Thai spouse register the Thai marriage, before the expiration of said retirement visa. They KNOW a Will could be drawn up, but the non Thai partner would like to take advantage of the visa based upon marriage, bearing in mind all the uncertainty flying about concerning visas based upon retirement. Quid pro quo, if you will. No advice is sought on this point.

I thought I read somewhere that there had to be a duration of some weeks before the registration of a marriage and an application for a marriage visa. I was not aware that one could simply register a marriage at the local amphur one day and apply for a visa based upon such marriage the next.

That's all I wanted to know. Thankyou.

This is the first mention of "retirement" and there has not been any change for retirement extensions or stay or retirement visas if wife is Thai. In all cases retirement is easier than family (marriage) for one year extensions of stay but requires income/bank deposit of 65k/800k or combination. For marriage the requirement would be 40k per month family income. A lot more paperwork is involved with the marriage extension of stay.

Again - there is no such thing as a "marriage visa". You either obtain a non immigrant O visa (other) for visits or you extend such a a visa on an annual basis as above using the 40k monthly family income.

How many weeks/months must you have been married to a Thai national before applying for a visa based on such marriage?

Once you are married you can apply for a visa based on support.

I entered the country on Jul 15 and was married Jul 17 with a 90 day non-immigrant "O" visa. The following week we got the marriage legally registered. The Immigration website says to apply 21 days prior to the expiration of the temporary visa. I was thinking that it meant you can't go until 21 days prior, but now I am starting to worry that it means you have to go _at_least_ 21 days prior, which won't happen because we have already made our travel plans for next week.

It also seems that the immigration web site has changed since I printed out the requirements before coming over here. The requirements I printed out are appearing under "Change Visa".

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service#

This section has some curious repetitious language asking for the same documents we had to submit to the Amphor at our marriage registration. The requirements under "Extend Visa" are different and now include a large Baht deposit requirement.

This requirement does not, however, apply unless income is not 40K under the Order of the Royal Thai Police 608/2549 that comes up when you click on "Acts" at the top of the page (case 7.17).

Well, I guess the above link isn't working right because the page uses frames, but you can click on Required Documents in the left column and choose Visa Extension and Change Visa on the middle menu.

I'm sorry this is lengthy. I am just getting nervous with the Visa Extension trip coming up next month.

The 21 day requirement is for change of visa (and is with not less than 21 days remaining). If you really have a non immigrant O visa there is no change required and they will accept later for the one year extension of stay. You will need proof of 40k per month family income (tax receipts if local and Embassy letter if not) along with the normal passport/arrival card/copies, 4x6cm photo within six months, TM.7 form and 1,900 baht fee, photos together in/outside of home and evidence you live together and of house number, bank account(amount not that important)/bank letter/copies, wife id card/home register/copies and the wife. This list may not be all inclusive so don't get too upset if there is a change or something else asked for.

As said in other post if you are not ready (need time to obtain tax documents or such) you can obtain a one time 60 day extension of stay upon proof of marriage.

I've tried to put this question as simply as I can BUT...

Tamsin, you are not the first member who got a different answer from what he expected because the question was formulated poorly. You asked about an application for a visa and got an answer for that, but later it turned out that you meant an application for an extension.

I remember the post of a member who was adamant that it makes no difference whether one says visa or extension. This thread is a point in case that it does make a difference.

--

Maestro

If you intend to request yearly extensions of stay you can do so after having a non immigrant visa and proof of family income for a 3 month period that is 40k or more per month.

Hi lopburi3

I have a pension of more than Bt40k p.m. starting in January.I know I must visit BKK embassy for letter of confirmation, but was not aware that I need to prove income for 3 months! This is the first time I'v seen this on TV so are you saying I must wait until March before i compile the necessary paperwork to extend my Non Imm 'O' visa due to marrying a Thai.

:o:D

The three months is for income earned in Thailand (tax records). It does not apply to overseas income as listed in Embassy letter.

Cheers Lopburi3

As always, you know the answer and even I can understand 'em. And what a prompt service!!! Do you ever sleep ! :D

Kind regards

:o

I'm married to a Thai and I was able to get a 90 day Non Imm O visa right away but you have to leave the country and apply at a Thai Embassy. For you to get your 1 year Non Imm O long stay visa you must be married 6 months. Long Stay visas can only be applied for in Thailand. I know you can get a 1 year non Imm O Multi Entry from Singapore showing 400,000B in the Bank and your marriage certificate. But this 1 year visa requires you to leave the country every 90days. It's not a long stay visa which you can only apply for in Thailand. Hope this helps a bit!

1. A "long stay" visa is a retirement visa and is issued at a Consulate in your country of residence and can not be applied for inside Thailand. What you obtain in Thailand are one year extensions of stay of a non immigrant visa.

2. I have never heard of any requirement to be married for six months to obtain an extension of stay.

3. Immigration inside Thailand can and does issue non immigrant visas to those that meet extension of stay requirements and are on a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp.

1. A "long stay" visa is a retirement visa and is issued at a Consulate in your country of residence and can not be applied for inside Thailand. What you obtain in Thailand are one year extensions of stay of a non immigrant visa.

2. I have never heard of any requirement to be married for six months to obtain an extension of stay.

3. Immigration inside Thailand can and does issue non immigrant visas to those that meet extension of stay requirements and are on a tourist visa or visa exempt stamp.

I suspect the poster may have meant he couldnt get a 1 year multiple at local Consuls ??

Really confusing when people mix and match the terminology of extensions and visa's..

This is the first mention of "retirement" and there has not been any change for retirement extensions or stay or retirement visas if wife is Thai. In all cases retirement is easier than family (marriage) for one year extensions of stay but requires income/bank deposit of 65k/800k or combination. For marriage the requirement would be 40k per month family income. A lot more paperwork is involved with the marriage extension of stay.

Again - there is no such thing as a "marriage visa". You either obtain a non immigrant O visa (other) for visits or you extend such a a visa on an annual basis as above using the 40k monthly family income.

Thankyou, but again, assumptions - the farang part of the equation is female. My understanding is that the 40k doesn't apply.