12 Month Non-imm O Multi-entry First Visa Run

Hopefully a simple one:

My first visit of 90 days under the above visa finishes in a few days time. Am I right in thinking I just need to cross the border and come straight back, like I used to do when on the 30-day tourist visa thing? Is there anything else I should take given I'll be doing this at Sadao on the Malaysian border - proof of funds or anything like that?

And does anyone know of a local bus or songthaew from Hat Yai to Sadao? I assume there will be but I'd like to be a little more prepared with info if I can.

Ta.

Mark...

You should always be prepared to show 20k on a border crossing return but it is not likely to be checked. Not sure of Hat Yai transport as always used a taxi when making that run (years ago) from in front of Kings Hotel. If you ask one of the truck drivers for the bus to Sadao expect they will understand and take you to them.

You should always be prepared to show 20k on a border crossing return but it is not likely to be checked

Thanks. It wasn't so important with the tourist visa, but I don't want to narls up my non-imm when I could just take along a bank book to confirm the money is there if I am asked.

A bank book is okay isn't it? Or does it need to be cash?

Maybe someone else will have a definite on the Sadao bus. Ta anyway :-)

hi,i did the hat yai to sadao bus trip a little while ago,also hat yai to pedang besar.hat yai to sadao is only around 20 baht by "lot thamadaa" (ordinary bus-one of the old style busses with lots of chrome,& up & down sliding windows).this bus journey is abit of an adventure as the drivers (i took a different bus on the way back) seem to think they are the next michael schumacher. :D when you return through thai immigration the return bus stop to hat yai is just along the rd (2 minute walk) after turning right outside the gate.

there is an imformation type office at hat yai,so maybe just go to there & say-"mee lot bye sadao krawp",& they will tell you the platform number,but the sadao bus leaves regularly in front of where a guy is sat at a table selling the mini bus trang tickets.

at hat yai i would just smile & ignore the tuk tuk drivers,& others who try to take you too an agent for a taxi,unless you want a tuk tuk.they never seem to tell you about the local bus though. :o:D

You should always be prepared to show 20k on a border crossing return but it is not likely to be checked. Not sure of Hat Yai transport as always used a taxi when making that run (years ago) from in front of Kings Hotel. If you ask one of the truck drivers for the bus to Sadao expect they will understand and take you to them.

The last time I went 2 years ago the mini bus office was opposite the Kings Hotel and went to the border at Padang cost 40 Baht.

At the border you got a motorbike taxi to take you round the immigration posts and called into the duty free shop on the way back. He dropped you back at the mini bus station going to Had Yai.

If you're taking a van to Hat Yai He'll likely stop at the train station. You can get a van from there to Sadao at any of the tour shops. I recommend the motorbike at the border, well worth the 80-100 baht. Get to Sadao in the morning if you can as the big tour buses arrive in the afternoon and the lines get long.

I have used the local regular bus from Hat Yai to Padang Basar on numerous occasions. If you go using this method there are a couple more things you need to be careful of.

Firstly, if you catch the Rot Thamada at the bus station it will go all the way north into and around Hat Yai before it heads south. When I did the trip, departures used to be once every 30 mins during the day, but if you catch one in the afternoon when the schools are picking up it will take a good two hours to get to the border.

Secondly, you can actually walk between Thai and Malaysian border posts. Maybe it's 1km, between, so it takes about 10 minutes. Thus with form filling out and queueing it will be a good thirty minutes before you get back top the main road. Be aware that the last bus back to Hat Yai often passes by the border post sometime between 5:30 and 6:00pm. So if you catch the bus to Padang Basar any later than 3:00pm, you might end up stranded at the border!

If you know this system it can work fine, the journey back to the bus station only takes about 1:15, since it goes straight there before going around town. Good luck

Many thanks for all the advice.

I'll take my bank book just to be sure, so that's that covered.

I'll try to get to Haad Yai about 10-11ish, so it sounds like the rot thammada is the easiest way to go. I've not been on one for a while now and it's always it bit of fun :-)

Cheers,

:o I have always gone to Malaysia took the chance to take a week out for a little r&r never had to show any income but for some reason always had to pay 20 baht must be tea money also good excuse to use the tax free shop so dont panic you should have no problems infact this year I went over to retirement visa what a pain in the arse thinking of going back to multy entry next year.

I was under the impression that one only had to report to the immigration bureau and fill in TM47 to re-affirm ones address, every 90 days. for a 12 month, Non-immigration catagory "O" visa

If you have a non-immigrant O for one year and you need to cross the border after 90 days there is no reason why they should ask you any proof of income.

I've been crossing the Cambodian border many times and they never asked me ! Anyhow I've never heard about this and the people at the Royal Thai Embassy in my country never mentioned this !

It's probably some rumour !!! :o

I was under the impression that one only had to report to the immigration bureau and fill in TM47 to re-affirm ones address, every 90 days. for a 12 month, Non-immigration catagory "O" visa

I hope that you have not been doing that as you are on overstay if that is the case. A multi entry non immigrant O visa allows a stay of 90 days and you must leave Thailand before that stamped "permitted to stay until" date.

The TM47 use is for those on one year extensions of stay from Immigration or those on a retirement O-A visa one year entry.

I hope that you have not been doing that as you are on overstay if that is the case. A multi entry non immigrant O visa allows a stay of 90 days and you must leave Thailand before that stamped "permitted to stay until" date.

The TM47 use is for those on one year extensions of stay from Immigration or those on a retirement O-A visa one year entry.

On the Thai immigration website that you refered to earlier, there is a procedure for " Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days " which "Visa does this refere to? Also, an American guy I was talking to, informed me he has a multiple entry "O"class non-immigrant visa and he said he only has to notify the Imm. Bureau in Jomtien, about his adress etc.

As I said above it applies to extensions of stay from Immigration or non immigrant O-A visa that permits a one year permitted to stay stamp to be issued on arrival.

:o You have confused me now. If he is on a one year multiple non immigrant O VISA. He has 2 options; 1 leave the country every 90 days for the duration of the visa or 2 report to immigration in the first 90 days and get a 1 year extension after having shown the required finances. Then subsequently report his address to immigration every 90 days. His initial permitted to stay stamp will only be 90 days (before extension).

Edited by maprao

Maprao, on every entry into Thailand he is given permission to stay for 90 days only. Therefore, he has to do a border run, ie leave Thailand and return, to activate a new entry and again receive permission to stay for 90 days. With the multiple-entry non-O visa he never stays longer than 90 days in Thailand at a time and therefore does not have to do a 90-day address report.

--

Maestro

And I have said, twice, that the TM.47 would be used for extensions of stay. So far poster has not confirmed person has any extension of stay.

He can report/obtain an extension of stay on any entry of a multi entry visa if he meets the requirements.

Thanks for the clarrification. It is as I thought. The part that confused me was Lopburi wrote

"As I said above it applies to extensions of stay from Immigration or non immigrant O-A visa that permits a one year permitted to stay stamp to be issued on arrival. "

No one gets one year permitted to stay on arrival they have to extend to the year after their arrival on a 90 Day stamp. The one year permitted to stay stamp quoted was what confused me. This is after the extension.

Once again thanks for the clarrification.

Edited by maprao

And now you are going to be confused again as the non immigrant O-A visa provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival at any immigration checkpoint and if it is a multi entry type will continue to provide a one year stay on any entry while the visa itself is valid (one year).

And now you are going to be confused again as the non immigrant O-A visa provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival at any immigration checkpoint and if it is a multi entry type will continue to provide a one year stay on any entry while the visa itself is valid (one year).

Sorry to keep on about this seemingly picky point.

Has anyone tried to apply for an extension of stay over 90 days at an internal immigration bureau office? because the Thai gov website definately states :- and I copy directly from the website:-

The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok, located at Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel 02-2873101-10 or at an Immigration office located in the provinces. For information on application for extension of stay, see the Immigration Bureau website at www.immigration.go.th :-

The web link leads back to the section detailing "notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days"

I have requested clarification by email but so far have had no reply. if it is correct it could save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to the borders

Edited by albymush

:o I have always gone to Malaysia took the chance to take a week out for a little r&r never had to show any income but for some reason always had to pay 20 baht must be tea money also good excuse to use the tax free shop so dont panic you should have no problems infact this year I went over to retirement visa what a pain in the arse thinking of going back to multy entry next year.

Hi oswaldCassidy.

I take it that you are not a fan of the Retirement visa then? What are the pros and cons of a Non-O Multi-Entry visa, as oppsed to a Retirement visa? I ask, because I'm looking at taking early retirement within the next few years, and would appreciate any comments you may have about this topic.

Cheers!

Has anyone tried to apply for an extension of stay over 90 days at an internal immigration bureau office? because the Thai gov website definately states :- and I copy directly from the website:-

The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok, located at Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel 02-2873101-10 or at an Immigration office located in the provinces. For information on application for extension of stay, see the Immigration Bureau website at www.immigration.go.th :-

The web link leads back to the section detailing "notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days"

I have requested clarification by email but so far have had no reply. if it is correct it could save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to the borders

I don't know what you want to know but the quote applies to an extension of a normal tourist visa 30 or 60 day stay (which are normally easily extended for an additional 30 days by Immigration) or if you meet the qualifications for one year extensions of stay and they are both available with a TM.7 form/photo/1,900 baht and qualifying documents. You would then have to report your address every 90 days if you stay longer than 90 days at a time (which is often the case for those on one year extensions of stay).

Hi oswaldCassidy.

I take it that you are not a fan of the Retirement visa then? What are the pros and cons of a Non-O Multi-Entry visa, as oppsed to a Retirement visa? I ask, because I'm looking at taking early retirement within the next few years, and would appreciate any comments you may have about this topic.

Cheers!

A multi non imm o costs around 7,000 Baht and gives you up to 15 months in Thailand. You have to exit the country and enter again every 90 days. These are not too easy to get in Asia , but it can be done.

A yearly extension based on retirement will give you a year but you do not have to exit the country.

You will need an income of 65,000 Baht a month or 800,000 Baht in the bank to get this.

The 800,000 has to be in the bank for 3 months before you apply

Once succesful you can spend some of this money and top it up again for next years extension.

You pay your money and take your choices.

I don't know what you want to know but the quote applies to an extension of a normal tourist visa 30 or 60 day stay (which are normally easily extended for an additional 30 days by Immigration) or if you meet the qualifications for one year extensions of stay and they are both available with a TM.7 form/photo/1,900 baht and qualifying documents. You would then have to report your address every 90 days if you stay longer than 90 days at a time (which is often the case for those on one year extensions of stay).

To lopburi3

I'm asking if anyone has ever checked with immigration, to see if a 12 month, catagory "O" non-immigration visa, can be re-validated, in the Kingdom, after 90 days, without having to leave the country. i.e not have to do a 3 monthly visa run? or is that unthinkable?

No; a trip to Immigration can not replace an exit of the country and return. And yes; people have reported trying that.

Thanks for the reply. that answers the question.

I asked because - until recently it was believed that a catagory "O" non-imm. visa could only be obtained in ones own country. Now we know that is not the case. I thought - hoped, that the Visa run could now be a thing of the past. however as you point out, I have been reading the Thai website explanations of staying over 90 days, wrongly.