Topps Of The Flops

siam-i-am

Just tried the new Topps, recently opened on the old Rimping site. On first visit, I'd say not even local 7eleven has anything to fear.

Didn't seem to me to be much different than the other two Topps. I found what I was looking for, and even some things I wasn't looking for. Their Japanese section is very well stocked. At least the floor isn't cracking in half like it is in the new Rimping near the airport!

I'm not sure what the opening post means, but 7-11 and Lotus Express are not in the same league. I'll guess the renovated spaces more or less equal the floor space of the old Rimping. Magazines, clothing, etc. are in separate areas, and a Waimee coffee shop has replaced the S&P dining area.

Speaking of 7-11, they've been selling Spy wine coolers at 29 baht each when you buy two. The sale price at Top's today was 105 for a pack of four, clearly marked at the display. She rang it up at the register as 133, no discount. I clearly objected, saying "Maichai. Sale. Discount. Nung roi ha baht." She checked and would not budge, so I walked out of the line, put the bottles down, and waited for her supervisor to void the sale. Supervisor came, I repeated my point of view, still smiling. She checked and said no. I walked over to the display, ripped off the sale sheet, and returned victorious to the checkout area. She agreed and I got my discount, thanked them, and walked off.

It's at least as nice as the Top's at Kad Kaew or Airport Plaza.

I don't like topps, too. A couple of weeks ago some wines were on offer, and I brought it to the cashier and was informed, that this offer is only valid for customers with the Topps member card.

Their cold cuts and sausages are horrible, and nothing is really cheap. E.g. a can of Tiger Beer is 26 B at Topps, 22 B at 7/11 and 20 B at Macro.

I'm not sure what the opening post means, but 7-11 and Lotus Express are not in the same league.

Exactly what is says, although the subtleness may have eluded you. The OP went there and found it sorely lacking, as I did, and made a tongue in cheek remark that 7/11 need not worry about the competition, as there isn't any! I concur.

I found the new Tops to be lacking even products that the other Tops branches usually carry. For example, they had none of the Chiang Mai Pickle King's Bulgarian Yogurt. OK it sounds funny but it's some seriously good yogurt. I want my Pickle King Yogurt!

You know, I forgot all about those special sales prices requiring a Tops discount card! I didn't have one (lost it long ago), and they said nothing about a card today. But I obviously wasn't going to buy the item at full list price.

Okay, thanks for the explanation. The stores that don't compete on the same level in the first place, and their primary competition as well, have nothing to worry about. Indeed, I'll now go back to buying my Spy wine at 7-11, our cases of Pepsi Max at Makro, etc. I bought one farang candy bar but couldn't find any corn chips, so forget Tops.

The Tops at KSK is decent....but when I really need my farang food fix, such as for Mainland Vintage cheddar, or Duang Dee Hilltribe coffee, or Buonissimo pizza bread- gotta make the trek to Rimping. Or Carrefours for provencal black olives, or the wonderful breads, or the whole cooked chickens for 75 B (on sale now- get 'em while they're hot!)

We really ARE spoiled here in Chiang Mai. Was reading a thread today from a poster on the Chiang Rai forum. Wants cheese. Yeah they have BigC and Makro up there, but a very limited selection. Someone said try Northern Farms (CR).

We are very lucky to be here! :o

The Tops at KSK is decent....but when I really need my farang food fix, such as for Mainland Vintage cheddar, or Duang Dee Hilltribe coffee, or Buonissimo pizza bread- gotta make the trek to Rimping. Or Carrefours for provencal black olives, or the wonderful breads, or the whole cooked chickens for 75 B (on sale now- get 'em while they're hot!)

We really ARE spoiled here in Chiang Mai. Was reading a thread today from a poster on the Chiang Rai forum. Wants cheese. Yeah they have BigC and Makro up there, but a very limited selection. Someone said try Northern Farms (CR).

We are very lucky to be here! :o

Couldn't agree with you more McGee - we are very lucky to be here and having the new Tops is just another choice. It will presumably get over it's teething problems and improve.

I found the new Tops to be lacking even products that the other Tops branches usually carry. For example, they had none of the Chiang Mai Pickle King's Bulgarian Yogurt. OK it sounds funny but it's some seriously good yogurt. I want my Pickle King Yogurt!

Crikey, is he still around town? Well I guess someone had to take over from the Welshman to redefine the lowest common denominator.

Crikey, is he still around town? Well I guess someone had to take over from the Welshman to redefine the lowest common denominator.

Not a fan? I too buy that youghourt, as it is the only sugarfree youghourt I've found here, and

it seems fine to me. What do you recommend instead, sugarfree?

Look, I know it isn't on topic, but the TOPS card thing can be got around by telling the cashier your phone number - assuming you have registered and lost your card or left it behind. Some of the coupons they send through the post are worthwhile, I used to do most of our shopping there and I've had a 7000 baht discount in the past. Not to be sniffed at. :o

Not a fan? I too buy that youghourt, as it is the only sugarfree youghourt I've found here, and

it seems fine to me. What do you recommend instead, sugarfree?

I did not comment upon the yoghurt.