Novotel Airport Hotel Review......................

libya 115

We checked in. A rude Korean male through us two check-in cards and barked for my passport and a credit card.

I had already pre-booked and pre-paid for the room.

I don't use credit cards in Thailand except at ATM's so he demanded a cash bond of 3000 baht. (Returnable).

The room was 'deluxe' with the biggest bed I have ever seen. The bathroom was perfect. However the television was only a medium screen size and had a hopeless selection of channels. I expected better in a 5 star hotel.

The food wasn't much good either in the main restaurant downstairs. I did not try the Japanese restaurant, because it was empty.

Mini bar was expensive, but I expected that. Room service offered a better deal 4 Heineken for the price of 3. A snip at 660 baht.

Recommended for a one night stay for an early morning flight. Book early online for better deals.

I paid 6500 baht

Make sure you fill-in the non stopcheck-out papers when you check-in or you might be in for a loooong wait to check-out in the morning when most guests leave around 6am.

Alternatively book a room in the executive class and then you can check-out in the business center well worth the few hundred baht extra especially of you have time to eat the 'free' breakfast these rooms offer for 2

It is expensivebut can be worth it when your night is very short

When I have a bit more time I usethe Avana (less than 1.000 baht a night) 20 minutes away by taxi

I looked into staying there for a 9 hour layover recently, but couldn't justify paying that price. I ended up checking into a cheaper hotel on Suk soi 11 and ducked out for a few beers and some company. Still ended up cheaper than 9 hours at the Novotel and the bonus was for the life of me I can't remember a single thing about my connecting flight...I did arrive at my destination so I know I definitely caught the flight. :o

6500 baht :o Yeah, well up-tou-you.

I flew in thursday around 7pm, catched a taxi to Ratchada for 250 baht including airport fee plus 25 toll, got at hotel at 7.30, paid 1200, including breakfast at 5.30, taxi at 6.15, 200 baht, checked in at 7.00, no queue and had 3 beers for 360 baht at Rawhide on Soi Cowboy before going to bed. Ladies wearing birthday suit there, no such fun around Novotel Airport... total cost around 2100 baht. Will do this again next way out of LOS.

I don't use credit cards in Thailand except at ATM's

Curious. Using a credit card is nearly risk-free, as any subsequently related fraud is removed from your bill, if reported in a reasonable amount of time (which -- since your posting here indicates you're computer literate -- is easily determined by checking your credit card account over the Internet). Certainly this is superior -- in form, fashion, and convenience -- to plunking down a 3000 baht cash deposit...........?

But, using a credit card "at ATM's" is definitely a last resort, as the interest charged from the minute the cash enters your hands is ludicrous.

Obviously, if you're willing to pay 6500 baht for a night's stay, you're NOT a backpacker. Why, then, the aversion to credit cards?

Curious. Using a credit card is nearly risk-free, as any subsequently related fraud is removed from your bill, if reported in a reasonable amount of time (which -- since your posting here indicates you're computer literate -- is easily determined by checking your credit card account over the Internet). Certainly this is superior -- in form, fashion, and convenience -- to plunking down a 3000 baht cash deposit...........?

But, using a credit card "at ATM's" is definitely a last resort, as the interest charged from the minute the cash enters your hands is ludicrous.

Obviously, if you're willing to pay 6500 baht for a night's stay, you're NOT a backpacker. Why, then, the aversion to credit cards?

Thai issued credit cards do not afford the same level of security than cards issued in the west.

Make sure you understand the risks if you consider applying for a Thai issued credit card

Yes, although you will not lose money in the long run, you will have the heartache, hassle and stress of trying to remove yourself from the bad-credit rating when someone copies (clones) your card and goes mad with it.

I have a friend in Pattaya, who was cloned in Mikes Mall and lost 11,000 GBP before he noticed, with transactions in Korea/Malaysia. He had a lot of trouble getting the money back.

Also I was intending to say debit cards as well because they have the VISA logo. And that is your own cash in the bank.

Yes, although you will not lose money in the long run, you will have the heartache, hassle and stress of trying to remove yourself from the bad-credit rating when someone copies (clones) your card and goes mad with it.

Actually, if someone clones your card, then you detect and report the fraudulent purchases, your credit rating should not be affected. It's when someone steals your identity, applies for a new credit card in your name, then runs up unpaid bills -- that's when your credit report problems begin. I haven't heard anything about "identity theft" in Thailand -- only the cloning of existing credit/debit cards.

I have a friend in Pattaya, who was cloned in Mikes Mall and lost 11,000 GBP before he noticed, with transactions in Korea/Malaysia. He had a lot of trouble getting the money back.

Sounds like he used a debit card, not a credit card -- unless he blindly pays his monthly credit card bill, which doesn't seem likely with 11,000 large involved. And even with a debit card, most banks today, at least in the West, will refill your bank account when fraud is reported. (But, unless you have an over-spending addiction, credit cards are much-superior to debit cards, as arguing a fraudulent credit card bill sure beats arguing an empty bank account.)

Also, surprised his bank didn't try and contact him about the 'inconsistent' spending pattern in Korea and Malaysia; and failing that, just flat out canceling the card. Stateside banks sure would have.

Thai issued credit cards do not afford the same level of security than cards issued in the west.

Make sure you understand the risks if you consider applying for a Thai issued credit card

In the States, it's Federal law that limits your liability regarding credit and debit card fraud (and MC and Visa have 'sweetened' the deal with 'zero liability' policies). Don't know what, if any, Thai law does the same here. But I saw on this forum awhile back the story of how hard it was to recoup debit card fraud. I think the poster only got back half -- after a long ordeal. Probably each bank has its own policy. So, yeah, knowing your liability concerning Thai issued cards would seem prudent.

Checkin is a real hassle at the Novotel, but the worst part is trying to get there. You have to take the shuttle bus. 1st time I used it, took me 30 minutes of walking around to find out where to go. No signs in the airport unlike the old one. Rooms are nice though, carpets so thick my bag on rollers wouldn't roll, I felt so retarded. Good security. The guard those elevators well. As you noted, food is crappola. Probably one of their Novatel supplied european chefs in charge. That's the distinguishing feature of Novatel - Bland unappetizing food. Put a thai in charge and at least the food will have flavour.

I seem to remember that the Amari airport near Don Muang was expensive,

There's a place about 5 minutes by taxi away called Quality Suites (!) totally fine not expensive as I recall but is was part of a package deal I had had set up. When travelling alone years ago I stayed in a Thai travelling salesmen hotel near the JJ market, about 300 Baht a night - strange place. Might have been called the Family Home Hotel or something like that. Each floor had a floor warden !

A rude Korean male

WTH, is a Korean staff doing there at Novotel? Must have been a Guest Relations staff then, seems Novotel there receives lots of Koreans?? hmmm... :o

must have been a North Korean trainee then.