Are Thais Slow Builders? Or Is It Just Me?

Chowah,

I truley think that if you are saying that ceramic paint offers no R value. You should go and stick your head back in the sand.

I have seen first hand this product, and a few different types in action. Some work better then others.

If you want to go fishing for an argument lets hear it.

I'm not fishing for an arguement at all but if you think that ceramic paint makes an appreciable additoin to a houses insulation I would gladly discuss it politely since everything that I have found so far by reading websites from paint manufacturers would indicate that paint does not add significant insulation to a house and so I have come to accept as my view that paint does not provide significant insulation. I am always willing to accept that I am wrong, however, and would be most appreciative if anyone could point me to a website that gives some information contrary to my views. One of the reason's I posted here is that I am hoping that someone will come forward with some information about some paint that shows me wrong.....believe it or not I actually enjoy being shown wrong!!!!! I enjoy it because when I am shown to be wrong it gives me the opportunity to further my understanding of the world in general.......I am hoping that you will come up with something new which will pursuade me!!!!

As to the R value of this paint. The website gives the k value instead. The website reports that this ceramic paint has a k value of 0.67 Btu-in/ft2-F-hr ............and..........using the formula for converting k values to R values which I have taken from their site {R value ® = Thickness of the insulator (normally expressed in inches)/(k)}.....where k= thermal conductivity expressed in BTU-in/Hr-ft²-F°....we can calculate the R value of a coat of paint when applied to the thickness they recommend (which is 0.020”).....then putting the values into the equation we get... R = (0.020)(0.67) = 0.013.

So...using the data from the website and using the formula for converting k to R as found on the website, one coat of their ceramic paint will have an R value of R=0.013. This is an incredibly small R value and is basically insignificant.

I might be doing something wrong in this calcualation but it seems correct to me. If I am making some mistake or have overlooked something I will be most appreciative if someone points this out.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry Chowah,

I do agree with you in some aspects, as this Paint will not give you the High R rateing as said in there websites. But what it does give is Huge R value insulation quailities in convection heat transfer. The sun beating down on your roof all day!

To say you don't need to add insulation as Ceramic paint will do, Is not trueIn all areas of building. But then again most people in Thailand only insulate there roof with a thin film of foil. So maybe it is true?

I have put my hand under a roof without Ceramic paint. On different mediums, Tile, steel, wood, Clay tile. I will say that every medium when coated with Ceramic paint was alot cooler to the touch then without.

Thus acting as a form of insulation, to keep your home cooler.

Fully agree with this.

My stand point is from Covection heat transfer

Exactly. Get a litre of black paint, and a litre of white paint. Paint the street outside your home. Let the sun beat down on it all day, then take off your shoes and walk on the white one and then on the black one. You will find a big difference in the temperature of each one.

The black one will heat up more, if this was a wall or roof, it would be radiating heat into your home. The white one will be reflecting the energy instead, thus keeping the wall or roof cooler and not radiating heat into your home.

This is with two different colors of the same kind of paint. If you were just concerned about R value, then they would both have the same R value, but the white paint will keep your house cooler. The ceramic paints are probably designed to reflect even more of the energy than the white paint.

let's put things into a realistic perspective:

-talking about insulation, k-values and r-values when it concerns paint = (my mother urged me not to use foul language).

-a highly reflective coat of paint on roof and outside walls helps indeed to save energy or cooling capacity.

-reflective paint does not reflect the whole (visible and invisible) spectrum of heat radiation and has no effect whatsoever on heat transmission (two different animals!).

:o

I have gone alittle over board with insulating. As I will also wrap the house in plastic and tape all opening under the outer walland around all opening. This is mostly to deal with condenstaion from aircon.

what about gargoyles under the eves to scare off aliens?

Bpraim,

my ironic remark had not the desired effect :o would you please elaborate (in a language i understand) what you mean by "plastic to deal with aircon condensation"?

let's put things into a realistic perspective:

-talking about insulation, k-values and r-values when it concerns paint = (my mother urged me not to use foul language).

-a highly reflective coat of paint on roof and outside walls helps indeed to save energy or cooling capacity.

-reflective paint does not reflect the whole (visible and invisible) spectrum of heat radiation and has no effect whatsoever on heat transmission (two different animals!).

:o

When I was talking about heat radiation, I was not trying to imply that the paint would prevent it. I was just meaning that if the paint can reflect some of the energy, then that energy will not be stored in the wall or roof. If that energy is not stored in the wall or roof, then it will not radiate off into your home, heating it up.

Sorry Chowah,

I do agree with you in some aspects, as this Paint will not give you the High R rateing as said in there websites. But what it does give is Huge R value insulation quailities in convection heat transfer. The sun beating down on your roof all day!

To say you don't need to add insulation as Ceramic paint will do, Is not trueIn all areas of building. But then again most people in Thailand only insulate there roof with a thin film of foil. So maybe it is true?

I have put my hand under a roof without Ceramic paint. On different mediums, Tile, steel, wood, Clay tile. I will say that every medium when coated with Ceramic paint was alot cooler to the touch then without.

Thus acting as a form of insulation, to keep your home cooler.

Reflecting light and heat is different from insulating for heat. The ceramic paint you refer to does reflect a high percentage of visible light and radiant heat.....but I think that if you look at the percentages of visible light and radiant heat that are reflected by most white paints you will see that they are comparable. My view is that if you want to compare how much light and heat is reflected then the best thing to do is to compare the specifications from the two paints you want to consider. From what I have read, all commonly available white paints are highly reflective for visible light and radiant heat. If you think that the brand you are talking about is better...than please show me data for the paint you are comparing it too....the brand you recommend claims to have 80% reflectivity.

Chownah

I have gone alittle over board with insulating. As I will also wrap the house in plastic and tape all opening under the outer walland around all opening. This is mostly to deal with condenstaion from aircon.

what about gargoyles under the eves to scare off aliens?

Bpraim,

my ironic remark had not the desired effect :o would you please elaborate (in a language i understand) what you mean by "plastic to deal with aircon condensation"?

Dr

When useing aircon you get condensation from temp difference. Cold inside hot outside. This causes water to form on walls, insulation and anything in it's way. When building you can use a vapor barrier to seal the house an keep the condensation where you want it. When building with brick the use of a vapor barrier is not needed as brick is a perfect spong for this water and no problems with rot, only mildew and mold. I will be useing steel studs in the walls, so I must think aobut this water and the effect it will have. Steel is coating for corrosion, but why add more humidity/water to them. This left me with the options of wrapping the house with plastic, to keep the moisture away from the studs and insulation. Or PU foam insulation (Polyurethane foam) a closed cell insulation.

I was having troubles finding non cfc pu foam, and thinking of the problems that could arise as many Thai contractors are not familar with working around it. Mostly in the water and electrical areas of home building. This left me with the Plastic wrap method.

Untill this afternoon. I got a call from my contractor and he has his hands on some non cfc foam, and two men that have done the water lines and electrical work, around his product.

So I will now be useing PU foam in my walls, not SFG cool max.

With the use of PU foam there is no need to use a vapor barrier as this stuff makes it's own.

Here is some lite reading on PU foam. http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumer/your_h...m/mytopic=11600

I will be useing a thickness of 7cm of foam in the walls, Stud depth.

I'lbe useing Ceramic paint on my roof as a means of lowering Convectional heat transfer.

I will be useing a finished layer of .25" of Ceramic paint. Not the .020" as recomended.

It has been my experience that Thai Builders can work on a reasonable schedule. We have been very fortunate that the building contractor has arranged for the prompt arrival of all the building materials and scheduling sub contractors at the appropriate stages of construction. The ceiling crew of six men had primary ceiling supports and aluminum grid done in four days and they will come back for the second floor ceiling when the roof is 100% completed. The window company will install windows and glass doors after the eaves are done. The pool contractors have arrived on time from Bangkok to install specific parts of the pool while our builders staff is doing the majority of the pool construction. It all appears to be a mater of "steps" but the primary crew work 7 days a week and seem to have some workers go home just after the twice a month payday. When the electricity goes out they switch to manual tasks, when it rains they can all work inside. The electricians seem to be working from the electric plan blueprints but they only work on weekends. Having specific speaker wire, rg6 and Cat5e cables sent from Bangkok and factory direct deliveries of Ultra Kool and Elephant Wood seems to have worked out fine. I insisted on specific number of days for keeping wood forms on all concrete column and concrete beam work but the crew worked on other parts of the home while waiting for the concrete to properly cure. I have NEVER seen any of the workers sleeping during work hours but I have been supplying instant coffee for the crew since the start of foundation pile driving. We have insured a steady supply of water for mixing concrete and workers bathing needs by installing a 1500 liter fiberglass tank and Mitsubishi pump. Some other people on the forum had the impression that the building staff might suffer living in temporary sheet metal and wood on site housing, but our crew has told my wife they are happy with the living conditions and work situation. They pay no electric bills, have cooking gas for a Lucky Flame cook top, daily delivery of two bags of ice and large bottles of water. Archa Beer each day at 5p.m. and Big Cola each afternoon has made a motivated staff in my opinion. They house fighting cocks and chickens in enclosures made of small construction scraps. The TV antenna is made from scrap aluminum for the eaves. No workers have been seriously injured and we provided a large First aid kit and dozens of work gloves for the crew. I am not so sure I could work "fast" in the Issan Sun, but blue tarps have helped give them shade during various parts of the construction process. I am very concerned about testing the electric work after reading the Thai Visa Forum for a few years. All the wire sizes that were specified in the building contract list of materials seem to be installed and no "taping together" short pieces to make a longer piece was allowed. I am happy to see wire nuts and no twist and tape electrical connections. Now the electricians and other sub contractors creative electric cords with bare wire connections are a pet peeve. A few sets of rolling steel scaffolding I believe has helped move the construction process in a more timely manner.

1. When useing aircon you get condensation from temp difference. Cold inside hot outside. This causes water to form on walls, insulation and anything in it's way. When building you can use a vapor barrier to seal the house an keep the condensation where you want it.

2. I will be useing a thickness of 7cm of foam in the walls, Stud depth.

3. I'lbe useing Ceramic paint on my roof as a means of lowering Convectional heat transfer. I will be useing a finished layer of .25" of Ceramic paint. Not the .020" as recomended.

Bpraim,

1. you don't get any condensation on the walls except in fairy tales handed down from one generation of builders to the other (in the United States). the reason (why not) is simple to explain: in a tropical country like Thailand you would need huge a/c units to cool down the walls to a lower temperature than your inside air temperature and that applies even to walls with excellent insulation. a problem might be the area of the steel studs if not properly insulated.

by the way, i like your idea very much. had similar plans for the outside walls of my home but gave up frustrated when facing lack of appropriate materials, opposing views

from the building department AND of course lack of experience and understanding of my general contractor.

2. 7cm foam = excellent idea!

3. i interpret 0.25" as "a quarter inch = >6mm". are you sure that you can apply ceramic paint that thick? even if that is possible your allocated budget position (Baht / m²) seems much too low. i also have the feeling that you overrate the ceramic paint and therefore not concentrating enough on ventilation of the attic and insulation of the ceiling exposed to the attic void.

but whatever, your project is quite interesting. please keep us informed.

How about this for a fast build? Last year, my wife's family built our family hotel in Phuket. It consists of 5 double-bedroomed bungalows (60 sqm each building), a large bungalow staff building (60 sqm) and a kitchen/restaurant building (120 sqm). Total build-time was 7 months. Total cost (including fitting-out, swimming pool, ready-to-open) was about 8 million baht.

Simon

post-174-1191717248_thumb.jpg

Reflecting light and heat is different from insulating for heat. The ceramic paint you refer to does reflect a high percentage of visible light and radiant heat.....but I think that if you look at the percentages of visible light and radiant heat that are reflected by most white paints you will see that they are comparable.

Chownah,

the advantage of ceramic paint over ordinary white paint is higher surface density = smoother = increased reflection and in some materials additionally embedded tiny granules to enhance reflection.

where "Bpraim" commits a thinking mistake is that increasing the thickness of the paint will increase reflection. fact is that 1mm (properly applied) has the same reflection as his planned 6mm. the insulation value of the paint is negligible (as you mentioned already).

DR,

Yes I will be applying the ceramic paint to this thickness 0.25". Truley I have never used this paint. I have just started to investgate it. The Contractor that will build my house uses it alot. He has a contract with BigC, Tesco, Makro to ceramic coat all there buildings. This company is just getting into the residencial home building. They said on house they want to apply 5-7 layers of this paint to the roof. We have covered a few mediums and no problem with thickness yet.

Yesturday I desided to do some field work, I took a 1m2 piece of roofing tin coated with .25" of ceramic paint. Then I covered it with it with a few good hand fulls of muddy dirty to see what would happen if I simulated the dust and crap that builds up on roofs, and can take out the nice white colour.

I then sat the Tin on top of a cardboard box with thermometer inside to sit in the sun. After an hour bake I got a 1.3F rise in temp in the dirty covered box over the clean tops.

I must say cleaning the nice muddy dirty I applyed to the paint came off without a stain at all. One bonus!

I am sold on this product, but not all the way to the bank, This product was included in the build, Though I do think it helps greatly, I will still be coating the roof with PU foam also.

As there are 3 R's to insulating I need to do more then use Ceramic paint.

I've got lots of batteries for the cam, so will post pic's starting the 29th as it we go.

Reflecting light and heat is different from insulating for heat. The ceramic paint you refer to does reflect a high percentage of visible light and radiant heat.....but I think that if you look at the percentages of visible light and radiant heat that are reflected by most white paints you will see that they are comparable.

Chownah,

the advantage of ceramic paint over ordinary white paint is higher surface density = smoother = increased reflection and in some materials additionally embedded tiny granules to enhance reflection.

where "Bpraim" commits a thinking mistake is that increasing the thickness of the paint will increase reflection. fact is that 1mm (properly applied) has the same reflection as his planned 6mm. the insulation value of the paint is negligible (as you mentioned already).

Dr. Naam,

I am not sure that "ceramic paint" necessarily has a higher surface density unless the ceramic particles are more dense than the matrix which hold them and they comprise part of the surface. If the ceramic particles do comprise part of the surface then it is likely that they would make the surface rougher rather than smoother. And more importantly I am not sure that smoother = increased reflection is true for the values of smoothness found at paint surfaces....or at least that if a correlation can be found for paint surfaces I am not sure if the effect will give a meaningful difference for paints in their relationship to house thermodynamix. Also, do you have any evidence to support your statement that embedded tiny granules will enhance reflection when compared to the pigments used in the paint...pigments which are, after all, just tiny embedded granules themselves.

Is there any evidence that suspending some type of ceramic particles in paint will increase its reflectance? If this evidence exists I would like to see it.

Specifically concerning the paint mentioned in this thread.....it claims 80% reflectance which from what I have been able to find is the typical reflectance for typical house paint and is not an improvement. From the standpoint of reflectance it seems that regular house paint is equal to the ceramic paint recommended.

What is this ceramic that they add to the paint? Is it just clay?...I don't know.

Chownah

Dr. Naam,

I am not sure that "ceramic paint" necessarily has a higher surface density unless the ceramic particles are more dense than the matrix which hold them and they comprise part of the surface. If the ceramic particles do comprise part of the surface then it is likely that they would make the surface rougher rather than smoother. And more importantly I am not sure that smoother = increased reflection is true for the values of smoothness found at paint surfaces....or at least that if a correlation can be found for paint surfaces I am not sure if the effect will give a meaningful difference for paints in their relationship to house thermodynamix. Also, do you have any evidence to support your statement that embedded tiny granules will enhance reflection when compared to the pigments used in the paint...pigments which are, after all, just tiny embedded granules themselves.

Is there any evidence that suspending some type of ceramic particles in paint will increase its reflectance? If this evidence exists I would like to see it.

Specifically concerning the paint mentioned in this thread.....it claims 80% reflectance which from what I have been able to find is the typical reflectance for typical house paint and is not an improvement. From the standpoint of reflectance it seems that regular house paint is equal to the ceramic paint recommended.

What is this ceramic that they add to the paint? Is it just clay?...I don't know.

Chownah

I was just thinking about this ceramic paint. Maybe the ceramic part of it does not really have any effect on the reflectivity. Since it is used mostly for comercial buildings, durability is a very big concern.

Some brands of the finish that we use on the flooring we import to the US have a ceramic finish. The finish is clear, but it has Aluminum Oxide in the finsih. The same thing that is on sand paper. This provides great durability. You can walk on these prefinished floors pretty much for a lifetime and the finish will not wear through. If it was just paint or a finish without the Aluminum Oxide, it would wear through with a few years.

Jim

The finish is clear, but it has Aluminum Oxide in the finsih. The same thing that is on sand paper. This provides great durability...

...and reflection.

Actually you can get many different gloss levels. We use a gloss meter to measure the reflection at a 60 degree angle. Our flooring is 15-25 on the meter. This meter measures the reflective index of light against the flooring. It is a very matte finish, with not much reflection. People in Asia seem to like a much higher gloss level that is very shiney and sometimes tops 80 on the meter.

Also, do you have any evidence to support your statement that embedded tiny granules will enhance reflection when compared to the pigments used in the paint...pigments which are, after all, just tiny embedded granules themselves.

i don't really have evidence Chownah and i shamefully admit (mea culpa :o ) that i am just repeating what an expert friend of mine told me when i asked for advice during construction of my home. he too suggested ceramic paint but for me the claimed advantages were not enough to go through the hassle asking my contractor to get the paint. instead i concentrated on other energy saving measures which turned out to be more than satisfactory.

We use a gloss meter to measure the reflection at a 60 degree angle. Our flooring is 15-25 on the meter. This meter measures the reflective index of light against the flooring.

Jim, i don't understand. why would you be concerned with the reflection of flooring? please explain. just durability or other reasons?

edited to make "tchörmann krammar" more easily to understand :o

Edited by Dr. Naam

Chow

One question!

You said in an earlier post that you have read into ceramic paint and know about it! But you don't know what is in it?

Typically, the ceramic additive is supplied in the form of microspheres (very small, round, particles, either solid or hollow) that wind up distributed uniformly throughout the dried paint film.

First and foremost, according to many experts, the spherical form and toughness of the ceramic material helps to create a smoother, more continuous film than a comparable conventional latex paint. It is difficult for anything to penetrate a ceramic paint film.

This is ceramic Wall paint, Not ceramic insulating roof paint!!!

Ceramic roof paint is a high build 100% acrylic elastomeric roof coating with insulating ceramic microspheres. This bright white high build formula is designed to insulate, seal, deaden sound, and protect. The thick rubber-like ceramic reinforced shield expands and contracts with varying hot and cold temperatures plus resists thermal shock. Thus adding a reflective thermal insulating layer.

We use a gloss meter to measure the reflection at a 60 degree angle. Our flooring is 15-25 on the meter. This meter measures the reflective index of light against the flooring.

Jim, i don't understand. why would you be concerned with the reflection of flooring? please explain. just durability or other reasons?

edited to make "tchörmann krammar" more easily to understand :o

For the same reason they make flat, semi-gloss, and gloss paint. Some people like their floor to have a mirror like finish, others want a more matte look to their floor.

Chow

One question!

You said in an earlier post that you have read into ceramic paint and know about it! But you don't know what is in it?

Typically, the ceramic additive is supplied in the form of microspheres (very small, round, particles, either solid or hollow) that wind up distributed uniformly throughout the dried paint film.

First and foremost, according to many experts, the spherical form and toughness of the ceramic material helps to create a smoother, more continuous film than a comparable conventional latex paint. It is difficult for anything to penetrate a ceramic paint film.

Ceramic roof paint is a high build 100% acrylic elastomeric roof coating with insulating ceramic microspheres. This bright white high build formula is designed to insulate, seal, deaden sound, and protect. The thick rubber-like ceramic reinforced shield expands and contracts with varying hot and cold temperatures plus resists thermal shock. Thus adding a reflective thermal insulating layer.

I wonder if there might be some fire proofing also if you used ceramic paint. I know that with our ceramic finishes on the flooring, you can put a lit cigarette on the wood floor and it will not burn or discolor the floor at all.

Chow

One question!

Indeed I have read about ceramic paint and most of what I've read is what manufacturers claim about their particular product and what posters here have said. So far no one has indicted just exactly what the "ceramic" in "ceramic paint" is....in fact ceramic spheres is about as good as its gotten so far...what I'm wondering is exactly what kind of ceramic it is....highly fired fine clay particles could be considered "ceramic spheres" and maybe this is what they are using...clay. But even if it is only clay then what kind of clay is it?....there are many different kinds of clay.

There is nothing indicated in the term "ceramic sphere" that would indicate that it would necessarily be good for anything....except perhaps as a cheap additive whose properties are not well understood by the general paint buying public (or even by professional painters) and which can be described in obscure ways to give a hint of incredible characteristics.....I looked at the website of the product recommended earlier in this thread and it is filled with weasel words and obscure arguements which when analysed carefully can be seen to have little meaning.....I would just love to discuss the information contained at the site of the recommended paint if anyone is up for it....which I doubt anyone will be......anyway if we did that I think I could show what a bunch of bogus weaselness they are putting out.

Bottom line.....what is in these paints anyway?....clay?

Seems like all the experts that tout the qualities of "ceramic paint" are connected with the manufacturers......I'd really like to find something about "ceramic paint" that was from some objective source.....I think I'll go google around abit and see if I can find somthing....all the posters here who want to talk about how good this stuff is don't seem to be able to come up with the link that explains any particular benefit.

Chownah

Let's go back to basic physics.

Heat is transfered by either conduction, convection or radiation,

A paint applied to an external surface could reduce the heat absorbed only by radiating that energy.

Minimally by conduction and convection would not be apllicable.

I laugh my ballox off when I see people placing foil reflectant underneath roof tiles.

Chow here is some info for you about the ceramic balls.

Ceramic insulating paint additive is a fine, white powder blend of high strength ceramic "microspheres". Each single ceramic microsphere is so small that it looks to the naked eye as if it is a single grain of flour, ( slightly thicker than a human hair).

The microspheres in the insulating ceramic additive have compressive strengths up to 60,000 psi, a softening point of about 1800° C., and they are fairly chemical resistant, with low thermal conductivity of 0.1 W / m / Deg.C.

The scientific process went one step farther and improved on the ceramic microspheres by removing all the gas inside which created a vacuum. Physics law states that nothing can move by conduction through a vacuum, since it represents an absence of matter. In effect we have a miniature thermos bottle... a microscopic hollow vacuum sphere that resists thermal conductivity and reduces the transfer of sound. When mixed into paint the painted surface dries to a tightly packed layer of the hard, hollow "microspheres", ( ceramic vacuum matrix technology.) The tightly packed film reflects and dissipates heat by minimizing the path for the transfer of heat. The ceramics are able to reflect, refract and block heat radiation (loss or gain) and dissipate heat rapidly preventing heat transfer through the coating with as much as 90% of solar infrared rays and 85% of ultra violet-rays being radiated back into the atmosphere.

And that is enough on this subject.

Let's go back to basic physics.

Heat is transfered by either conduction, convection or radiation,

A paint applied to an external surface could reduce the heat absorbed only by radiating that energy.

Minimally by conduction and convection would not be apllicable.

I laugh my ballox off when I see people placing foil reflectant underneath roof tiles.

So heat (Energy) doesnt reflect?