Buying Movies From Amazon

Daffy D

Hi

Have been searching for some old movies that are for sale on Amazon. Having never done any on line buying I’m a little skeptical about the potential risks.

First of all will Amazon ship to Thailand and how long would it take?

Do the disks arrive??? :D

What about credit card fraud? Is this a problem? :D

What about Regional codes and NTSC or PAL format? :D

Any other problems to worry about? :o

Anyone bought things from Amazon, or any other source, your experiences help tips and advice most welcome.

Thanks

D.D. :D

Hi

Have been searching for some old movies that are for sale on Amazon. Having never done any on line buying I’m a little skeptical about the potential risks.

Anyone bought things from Amazon, or any other source, your experiences help tips and advice most welcome.

Thanks

I have had many movies and books shipped from several Amazons shipped to Thailand, no problem whatsoever.

1) don't get it shipped by courier, but by the normal shipping option. If sent by courier then the import taxes will be very high, if normal shipping once a while they charge you tax. If you can avoid it - never get sent anything by courier.

Usually it will take a week to three weeks for the parcel to arrive

2) regional encoding is no problem as most DVD players nowadays available here are region free straight from the shop, no need to search the net for the codes.

3) never had any problem with credit card fraud from amazon

Hi

Thanks

I have had many movies and books shipped from several Amazons shipped to Thailand, no problem whatsoever.

1) don't get it shipped by courier, but by the normal shipping option. If sent by courier then the import taxes will be very high, if normal shipping once a while they charge you tax. If you can avoid it - never get sent anything by courier.

Usually it will take a week to three weeks for the parcel to arrive

2) regional encoding is no problem as most DVD players nowadays available here are region free straight from the shop, no need to search the net for the codes.

3) never had any problem with credit card fraud from amazon

Same here - only problem is that the postman leaves the parcel on my wall

There are number of US vendors offering pay for movie downloads from the net. Now, that is a great delivery option for Thailand, especially if priced about the same as an illegal street DVD. Now, heres the rub. Due to complicated business and licensing issues I don't pretend to understand, none of these companies offering these downloads will work if your IP is outside the US.

What a great opportunity for a Thailand based business, don't you think? Maybe the licensing agreements could be made for downloads in Thailand only. These systems provide limited viewing, you get to watch it once in a certain time period, and not allowed to store the file (or steal it obviously).

Edited by Jingthing

I've had many DVD's shipped here from Barnes & Noble with no problems using a Thailand (Bangkok Bank ) credit card. They have a huge selection of different media and and are very reliable. HINT: If you order Books and DVD's on one order they mark it as books and I've never paid customs. DVD's only had to pay customs.

I have had better luck buying DVD's from amazon.co.uk, especially from their z-shoppes section, which deals with ordering from independent sellers who set their own prices for their offerings, but where the shipping costs have been set in advance by amazon. And with amazon's rating/feedback system, the service from these sellers is. very good, with quick response and direct to the person handling the sale or shipment.

Sometimes there are good deals on good quality used DVD's there as well. Shipping is expensive, costing pound sterling 3.58 per single DVD to ship from UK/US to Hong Kong, and probably same to Thailand. DVD region coding don't seem to bother these z-shoppe sellers as much as it does amazon US or even amazon UK.

you can try ebay or ioffer.com to buy your dvd, ebay sellers offer very cheap dvd's and you can see who is shipping worldwide.

Ioffer: you can negotiate price with the seller and most sellers ship worldwide.

Payment: both sites use paypal.

I just bought several hundred movies and series without any problem.

+1 for ebay, there are several ebay stores that will ship here and prices are usually cheaper than amazon. amazon prints the bill (or did when i ordered from them) on the shipping label. so dvd's i had shipped from them were grabbed by customs, wanted 1500 baht duty on 4000 baht worth of dvds. i told them "send them back". amazingly enough the duty suddenly dropped to 750 baht.

cd-wow.com: just visited this site, very very expensive, for a fraction you can get the same dvd at ebay or ioffer.

amazon: have been looking at this site, seems expensive as well, got some movies from the other sites for a fraction of the amazon price

Another way to get all the movies you want is to subscribe to a newsgroup, you pay a monthly fee and you can download all what is available, I guess it is legal because you pay a fee of something like usd 10 per month.

Only problem, you need at least adsl with over 1mb speed.

i order DVDs and books and CDs from Amazon all the time. but i use a foreign (non-thai) credit card.

to avoid complications at customs (which i hear may randomly check on your parcel and may impose a tax on movies), i usually specify that the items purchased are not listed on the package. it may even serve you to classify the purchased items as a gift to avoid tampering at customs.

finally, for DVDs, make sure your DVD player is decoded as otherwise it will only be able to play asian designated DVD codes.

cd-wow.com: just visited this site, very very expensive, for a fraction you can get the same dvd at ebay or ioffer.

amazon: have been looking at this site, seems expensive as well, got some movies from the other sites for a fraction of the amazon price

Another way to get all the movies you want is to subscribe to a newsgroup, you pay a monthly fee and you can download all what is available, I guess it is legal because you pay a fee of something like usd 10 per month.

At what site do you find dvds at a fraction of amazon's price? I find that deepdiscountdvd.com occasionally beats amazon, but most of the time they're roughly the same.

At what site do you find dvds at a fraction of amazon's price? I find that deepdiscountdvd.com occasionally beats amazon, but most of the time they're roughly the same.

I just bought nearly movies on ebay, they had dvd's starting at usd 10 cents. The dvd's I bought were priced usd 1.79, some were usd 2.88, 3, 4.3....average I paid 91 baht per movie including shipping cost.

I found out that ebay is good for movies while ioffer.com is good for tv series. I love the old western tv series and found very good deals on rawhide (clint eastwood), wanted dead or alive, centennial, how the west was won, alias smith and jones...bought them all....nearly 400 episodes at a price of 16 baht per episode including shipping.

The only serie I wanted but didn't buy yet is gunsmoke, priced at usd 150 for 635 episodes including the 5 movies....need to buy more cabinets first..

ordering from amazon is safer than using your card in a shop.

you can get delivery to thailand, took about 2 weeks for me and came in first class condition.

its really nothing to worry about and something you should do if you want to buy them.