Tibetan Buddhist Debate

jazzbo

Hello -- As a young (Western) Logic and Philosophy student, one of my favorite memories was watching Geshe Wangyal and the old Kalmuk Monks have their debates. I did not understand the language at the time, but their enthusiasm, intensity, and humor was fascinating... and humor and 'comedy' was one of the more devasting ways of dealing with the opponent.

This is a description from a book by Dan Perdue (Snow Lion):

The practice and theory of introductory Buddhist logic and epistemology, as found in Tibetan Buddhism, is the focus of this clear and thorough exposition. An essential prerequisite in Tibetan philosophical studies is ascertainment of the procedure in debate, for debate is the investigative technique used throughout Tibetan education to lead students into Buddhist philosophy and to increase their sharpness and analytical capacities. Also, since a significant part of the Tibetan commentarial tradition incorporates the debate style as the principal means of explaining philosophy, in order to understand the various philosophical stances in Tibetan religious studies it is essential to apprehend the procedure in debate.

Here is another description of a debate in which Robert Thurman participated: http://www.jewelheart.org/general_pages/de.../JH_debate1.htm

One of the unique things about the Tibetan Buddhist Literature is that it remains the sole repository of many of the original works Buddhist works in Sanskrit (or Pali) which were most all destroyed in India... And I participated in several translations way back when as my job was to advise on the Western syntax used for Buddhist philosophical terms. I worked on the unpublished Abhidharma-samuccaya by Asanga with the late Brian Cutillo. It was all very heady for a 19-year old.

And if you look at the pictures, you can see that these guys were having FUN!

post-7565-1191884572_thumb.jpg

post-7565-1191884590_thumb.jpg