Association Of Foreigners In Thailand

wolfmanjack

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting organization, however, Thailand being what it is I would be worried signing up unless a Thai of high status endorse it first.

About their website, interesting, but the top-right section is worrying:

Your IP Address Is

LOGGED & RECORDED

Back from this IP :-

124.157.xxx.xxx

I know IP address is always logged but I think it's unwise to put it into your face this way for a site like this.

Interesting organization, however, Thailand being what it is I would be worried signing up unless a Thai of high status endorse it first.

About their website, interesting, but the top-right section is worrying:

Your IP Address Is

LOGGED & RECORDED

Back from this IP :-

124.157.xxx.xxx

I know IP address is always logged but I think it's unwise to put it into your face this way for a site like this.

speak up and get deported ,thats the attitude of the thai's ,sign up when the coup is over ,that way you may live longer .

aoft.org

There was a thread before about it being a good idea to start an organization to lobby for expat rights. From what i gather these guys were doing just that before the coup and intend to start doing so again.

You can " lobby" to your hearts content but do you really anyone

here is going to listen to farangs demanding rights ? :o:D

aoft.org

There was a thread before about it being a good idea to start an organization to lobby for expat rights. From what i gather these guys were doing just that before the coup and intend to start doing so again.

I made this thread here so that people in the past that mentioned wanting something like this could know about it. I am not running the site or doing the lobbying.

To answer your question I think that if there were enough members it might accomplish something. Probably not all of the goals they list on their site but they might be able to do some good. Every little bit helps.

I admire those who try to make a stand, but the fact of the matter is that we have zero rights, never will and all lobbying will do is further piss off those at the top.

Never say never.

Best of luck to anybody who tries to convince the powers-that-be that when we want to buy 1 rai of land, we're not going to dig it up and take it back to farangland with us.

What rights exactly do you want?

The right to buy land? You do realize that if you made it legal for farang to own land the prices would skyrocket.

depends on where the land is... i don't see the price of grazing pastures for water buffalo in north east thailand going up much because a farang can buy a rai.

I personally think freehold land should be only for the Thais and people with citizenship.

You can argue that they could make citizenship easier, ie for spouses, people with sought after skills etc....

But why should i be able to get off the plane and be able to own land in Thailand?

You can argue the case for companies owning factories, hotels etc... as this is creating wealth for Thailand.

'But why should i be able to get off the plane and be able to own land in Thailand?'

Why SHOULDN'T you? Any Thai can do just that in ther UK, for example. It's one of the things that holds the economy and the standard of living back in Thailand. This is one planet ... regardless of what individual nationalities may feel. It will happen because the global economy demands that it should. The Thai culture is endemically racist, and will remain so until Thai people are given the opportunity of interface with many other cultures. Thsi will only happen when the standard of living allows them to travel to visit other cultures. And that will only happen when they truly 'live' in the world economy.

I hope I'll have popped my cloggs by the time that happens. I'm not here to buy the country ... only to 'tread lightly on it' in its relatively unspoilt state, until such time as I make 'the final escape'. So I don't always practice what I preach.

DIG

Better for everyone for us to be seen (preferably spening money) and not heard. Truly. They barely tolerate foreigners as it is. Cheap labourers from neighbouring countries with next to no rights are fine. Smart arse, critical, complaining foreigners can go home as far as they're concerned.........and rightly so if you ask me . Keep your heads down and enjoy the R&R in Superficialville.

aoft.org

It say's nothing about 'farang' (can't be pluralized) demanding rights, it reads 'lobby for expat rights'.

I personally think (sounding rather selfish perhaps), that trying to obtain more rights in Thailand for foreigners in general is a futile aim. But trying to improve one's own position in Thai society - by associating with the right people, joining the right societies etc etc etc - will get you far further as an individual, and enable you to perhaps achieve 'rights' that are not normally offered to foreigners.

To put it simply, you need to look after number one, cos trying to further the rights of numbers two, three . . . x is a waste of time.

Simon

It say's nothing about 'farang' (can't be pluralized) demanding rights, it reads 'lobby for expat rights'.

Since when?

I thought everyone knew that the plural of farang is farangen :o

(Similar to ox and oxen) :D

Although I must admit that there is an alternative school of thought that considers the true plural of farang to be farangi....(as in fungus and fungi)

So you pays your money and takes your choice :D

Talking about a foreigner married to a Thai national, all a foreign man needs is the same rights as the foreign woman. After all, discrimination on the basis of gender was against Thailand’s old constitution and most likely will also be against the new constitution.

--

Maestro

Talking about a foreigner married to a Thai national, all a foreign man needs is the same rights as the foreign woman. After all, discrimination on the basis of gender was against Thailand’s old constitution and most likely will also be against the new constitution.

--

Maestro

Wasn't there an article in the paper about proposed legislation to make it the same for a foreign man and foreign woman ? With our luck they will make it harder for the foreign woman instead of easier for the foreign man.

I wanted to add in resident status for parents of thai nationals also.

OP, or any other person

What "Rights" would you like to have as a foreigner living here?

Please state your top ten and we can then discuss if these are achievable and realistic.

After that comparisons should be made of foreigner rights in all other (or most) countries in the world.

'But why should i be able to get off the plane and be able to own land in Thailand?'

Why SHOULDN'T you? Any Thai can do just that in ther UK, for example. It's one of the things that holds the economy and the standard of living back in Thailand. This is one planet ... regardless of what individual nationalities may feel. It will happen because the global economy demands that it should. The Thai culture is endemically racist, and will remain so until Thai people are given the opportunity of interface with many other cultures. Thsi will only happen when the standard of living allows them to travel to visit other cultures. And that will only happen when they truly 'live' in the world economy.

I hope I'll have popped my cloggs by the time that happens. I'm not here to buy the country ... only to 'tread lightly on it' in its relatively unspoilt state, until such time as I make 'the final escape'. So I don't always practice what I preach.

DIG

Could a Thai national just jump on a plane and go to UK, just as any tatooed football hulligan from England can and get into Thailand?

Thailand is having a nerve with all the countries reducing them to strict visa rules, even humiliations.

What if Thais took up the same measures?

People would not come to Thai? Possibly. Therefore they have tailored their visa rules in Thai way, not to repel tourists, be them social rejects or honest ones. 30 days, and all go back.

I would be happy if they accomplish a long term visa for those married to a Thai. Or make it automatic residence status for those married to a Thai after 5 years or something like that.

I agree fully Jack.

Just make it 10 years for that fact , after such a long marriage it could not be so bad is it ?

True credentials , also when having Thai children indeed .

The money spend on visa runs and renewing visas is better spend on our children .

Would be so great isn't it ?

If it is true to have the same rights as farang woman , better they switch us guys to their status . :o

If the woman get ours , well join the club , we do it allready for years ........

Should be equal .

Thinktoomut,

We have gone over that many times. If thailand was as difficult to get into as the USA then there would be no foreign tourists.

tijnebijn,

Yeah I would prefer to have the same rights as the Foreign women.

AlexLah,

I am the OP and i do not ask for 10 rights. As I said in an earlier post I would be happy to be able to live with my wife and children without worrying about getting kicked out. In the USA if you live with your wife and children after 2 years you get permanent resident status. Sure there is a financial requirement to get in but once you meet that requirement you are in forever. This is the only right that i do not have already that i would really want.

If you want to do a comparison with where i come from then you could include the right to own land. In the USA the only right that I have as a USA citizen that a foreign immigrant to the USA does not have is the right to vote.

aoft.org

I made this thread here so that people in the past that mentioned wanting something like this could know about it. I am not running the site or doing the lobbying.

To answer your question I think that if there were enough members it might accomplish something. Probably not all of the goals they list on their site but they might be able to do some good. Every little bit helps.

If you do not own any thing of great value why stay here I hear and let me repeat my self I hear Cambodia will treat you much better and also Malaysia it seem they don't want us here in my humble opinion they don't like the idea we are educating there women and as for B/G they make more money in 1 month than they could earn in 6 months in a slave shop factory it all about economics in my opinion you hire a girl to clean your room you give her any were from 200 to 500 baht she is thrilled you just pissed of the thai elites because they would give here 20 baht for the same job they want to keep the poor poor and under control we set them free of there B/S that also includes thai men as well we treat them better also when they do work for us I am married to a thai girl she has her own motor bike I bought for her new and she has a new Mazda pick up truck in her name we bought it new it financed she has a house 1/2 built in her village I ran out of money LOL she is in a dream world she never thought this would happen to her and I love the idea of doing it for her I give her because I enjoy seeing the expression and love I receive from her that why we are hated a thai man with wealth thinks he is royalty and treats women like a second class citizen correct me if I am wrong I am open to hear your opinion

If you do not own any thing of great value why stay here I hear and let me repeat my self I hear Cambodia will treat you much better and also Malaysia it seem they don't want us here in my humble opinion they don't like the idea we are educating there women and as for B/G they make more money in 1 month than they could earn in 6 months in a slave shop factory it all about economics in my opinion you hire a girl to clean your room you give her any were from 200 to 500 baht she is thrilled you just pissed of the thai elites because they would give here 20 baht for the same job they want to keep the poor poor and under control we set them free of there B/S that also includes thai men as well we treat them better also when they do work for us I am married to a thai girl she has her own motor bike I bought for her new and she has a new Mazda pick up truck in her name we bought it new it financed she has a house 1/2 built in her village I ran out of money LOL she is in a dream world she never thought this would happen to her and I love the idea of doing it for her I give her because I enjoy seeing the expression and love I receive from her that why we are hated a thai man with wealth thinks he is royalty and treats women like a second class citizen correct me if I am wrong I am open to hear your opinion

Punctuation is your friend. Really.

But trying to improve one's own position in Thai society - by associating with the right people, joining the right societies etc etc etc - will get you far further as an individual, and enable you to perhaps achieve 'rights' that are not normally offered to foreigners.

Become a blatant social climber you mean?

You could, but, when push comes to shove, you'll just be another foreigner to them, especially if they have to make a sacrifice for you.

I personally think freehold land should be only for the Thais and people with citizenship.

You can argue that they could make citizenship easier, ie for spouses, people with sought after skills etc....

But why should i be able to get off the plane and be able to own land in Thailand?

You can argue the case for companies owning factories, hotels etc... as this is creating wealth for Thailand.

Then maybe our govermet (I am British) should have the same rules for thais entering the UK

And if they did, so what? There is very few Thais that would buy land in the U.K. Even if they did it wouldnt effect prices much. On the other hand if anyone was allowed to buy here then its possible that in some areas that local people would be driven out due to higher prices. There is far more foreign people and companys that would buy land here compared to Thai people and companys looking to buy in the U.K.