How To Change My Default Email Program?

piker

Whenever I click on a link using Firefox, Outlook Express opens up and I prefer Yahoo. Anyone know how to make Yahoo my default in Firefox? Thank you.

go to the caption "tools" and click on internet options. default should be at the bottom and you can change it with nothing more than a click.

Go to Tools > Options > Main = drop down menue, select My Home Page

Next line says My Home Page......... write in what page you want... then Click OK

will always open then in that page, while your there in the Options Page, look at all the other setting..

I have mine set on 'Always clear my data on closing browser'. Do you want to store your History for 30 days? I set for 1day etc etc etc

retiredusn: That didn't work for me on Firefox.

ignis: I asked about the default email program, not my homepage.

Sorry........

Go > Control Panel > Network and Internet connections > Internet Options > Programes > EMail = drop down menue, last one is Yahoo >

click OK

The link I included (from google.. Try it.. its amazing).. Will change the default email handler on windows XP systems.. This is then used by firefox to handle the email mailto: links..

It even lists how to get yahoo mail working if its not in your list of options.

So far this is all for IE, not Firefox.

I don't wish to have Yahoo Messenger as I don't use it and it takes up a lot of memory. Thanks.

:o:D:D:D Do you have any idea what your talking about ?? What Firefox are you using? I always use the most up to date one so

I am using 2.0.0.8 Beta

I DO NOT use IE.. I use only Mozilla Firefox.......... I would NEVER get Outlook Express as i simply deleted it...........

I added both Yahoo [without messenger] and MSN mail to the location top bar, as my home page is Gmail.

Edited by ignis

I think the problem is that you are talking about two different things.

Outlook Express is an email application, not an email account as such. It can be configured to send and receive emails from your email provider.

Yahoo is an email provider, and you are probably using it web based, which mean what you are asking to do is not really possible AFAIK, as the email links you are clicking open up your default email application.

Thats how I read it.

totster :o

So far this is all for IE, not Firefox.

I don't wish to have Yahoo Messenger as I don't use it and it takes up a lot of memory. Thanks.

:o:D:D:D Do you have any idea what your talking about ?? What Firefox are you using? I always use the most up to date one so

I am using 2.0.0.8 Beta

I DO NOT use IE.. I use only Mozilla Firefox.......... I would NEVER get Outlook Express as i simply deleted it...........

I added both Yahoo [without messenger] and MSN mail to the location top bar, as my home page is Gmail.

Have you tried to follow those instructions ??

Thats how I tell firefox (2.0.0.7) on Win XP SP2 how to point to gmail or outlook.

The thing is firefox will use the default linking thats set up to open something.. Notice how firefox opens a PDF document with adobe ?? or a torrent with (for me) uTorrent ?? Thats not a firefox setting.. Thats set up in application pref's.. Same as email application, its controlled via the internet options in control panel.

Firefox uses the control panel 'internet options' as its an internet application.. Try it.

Exactly detailed instructions with pictures linked above.. Also took me far less time to find those instructions (using google :D) than to repeatedly tell you about them.

I think the problem is that you are talking about two different things.

Outlook Express is an email application, not an email account as such. It can be configured to send and receive emails from your email provider.

Yahoo is an email provider, and you are probably using it web based, which mean what you are asking to do is not really possible AFAIK, as the email links you are clicking open up your default email application.

Thats how I read it.

totster :o

Sure it is.. You can set the internet options to point to a webmail account.. So by clicking mailto links the browser will direct to the site (yahoo or gmail etc) and to the compose message option..

Often for webmail apps you need to install a small applet or associated app to let windows know the redirection option..