Truck Rear Bumper

lannarebirth

After being rear ended for the third time in four years I'm going to replace my Isuzu D-Max's fiberglass (what were they thinking?) rear bumper with something a little tougher. I've been around to many of the shops and the rear bumpers on sale are pretty flimsy IMO. Does anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can find a rear step bumper something like these? Or perhaps a dealer for this manufacturer? TIA

http://www.abar4x4accessories.com/company.html

post-25601-1192808355_thumb.jpg

post-25601-1192808319_thumb.jpg

edit:

Actually, the same goes for the crappy fiberglass running boards. Those are pretty messed up now too. Looking for something like these:

post-25601-1192808742_thumb.jpg

post-25601-1192808780_thumb.jpg

Edited by lannarebirth

There's a shop that sells them, between the railway station and the main post office.

I've been to all those shops. They only sell the very thin gauge bumpers. Some look OK, but none could be hit and remain ondamaged. The consensus is that I need to go to Bangkok. Isn't there an offroad center here in Chiang Mai that might sell this stuff? I've seen it on some 4x4's, but when I stop to ask the drivers, they say they got it in Bangkok. Maybe a business opportunity for someone.

There's a shop that sells them, between the railway station and the main post office.

They also do ones for the front of the vehicle - effective agains someone reversing into the pickup when parallel parked.

CB

I've got the original "bullbar" that got thrown in when I bought the truck. It's still in good condition, but whe the day comes that it's not I'll get the offroad heavy duty grill and bumper combo.

How good do you want it to look? Seen many trucks with both round and square steel rear bumpers..

Visit your local steel man and ask

That's the problem. The truck is too new to just weld steel all over it, so I need some kind of aftermarket product. I wish now I'd just bought an old Tiger and had the welding shop make heavy guards all around. For now I need to find a happy medium between the crap that's readily available and a complete offroad customization.

Edited by lannarebirth

LRB. If you can read Thai or get someone to read it for you, this Thai Offroad Club website may be of some help.

http://offroad.cmtc.ac.th/

I see from the threads on that site, that many of the trucks have just what I'm looking for. I'm going to try to post over there to see if I can find their source. Thanks very much for the link.

After being rear ended for the third time in four years

Alternatively: Stop braking so *($^(@$*& much!!

I just hate that, people slamming on the brakes when somewhere some old granny is trying to cross, or those pedestrian lights turn red or some other silly reason.

Fortunately it doesn't happen that much overhere, but occasionally you get this Farlang uncle failing to adapt to local traffic.

Edited by Sanpatong

After being rear ended for the third time in four years

Alternatively: Stop braking so *($^(@$*& much!!

I just hate that, people slamming on the brakes when somewhere some old granny is trying to cross, or those pedestrian lights turn red or some other silly reason.

Fortunately it doesn't happen that much overhere, but occasionally you get this Farlang uncle failing to adapt to local traffic.

Well, on two occasions I was stopped at a red light (hit once by a drunk guy and the other by a lady on her cell) on the third someone changed into my lane without looking. I was in the space they were moving to. I could not move to another lane myself so I had to brake, the car behind me didn't. Hey, you know where I can find one of those bumpers I posted about?

After being rear ended for the third time in four years I'm going to replace my Isuzu D-Max's fiberglass (what were they thinking?) rear bumper with something a little tougher. I've been around to many of the shops and the rear bumpers on sale are pretty flimsy IMO. Does anyone know where in Chiang Mai I can find a rear step bumper something like these? Or perhaps a dealer for this manufacturer? TIA

Actually, the same goes for the crappy fiberglass running boards. Those are pretty messed up now too. Looking for something like these:

Toyota make some pretty serious rear bumpers. You might like to measure up a Tiger sports and see it it can be adapted to suit your truck. I sold the one pictured a while ago or I would have given you the measurements.....MM

post-7622-1192968773_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help MM and AusThaied. I think I've decided to just wait till next time I'm in Bangkok (there's a soi near Chatuchak specializing in this) and have both bumper and sidesteps done. Also a nice diamond plated toolbox for the bed, which I can't find here anywhere. Thanks again.

The ones you pictured are available from 4x4 shops for the expensive ones, but as you will have seen, also anyone who's anything in cabbage-hauling as them fitted to their trucks.. That probably would work out a lot cheaper, just ask around at Kad Muang Mai I'd say. :o

The one most recently pictured on the back of that Toyota Tiger isn't very heavy duty. Those are literally all over the place at just about any car acessories shop on Charoen Muang road.

The side-steps I don't think are very useful.. They reduce ground clearance and don't really serve any purpose.

Edited by Sanpatong

The side-steps I don't think are very useful.. They reduce ground clearance and don't really serve any purpose.

You really amaze me sometimes some poo tong, with your posts. How on gods green little earth can side running steps reduce ground clearance when they are mounted higher than the floor pan of the vehicle. As far a serving no purpose, that's utter rubbish. They are pretty well essential on a high 4x4 Toyota Tiger, unless you happen to be over seven foot!!!

* His truck is not a very high off-roader.

* They gotta be mounted a bit lower than floor-level, otherwise they're not functional as steps right? Then they'd be wings. :o

* You're right that they don't lower the lowest point of the vehicle so indeed the ground clearance is the same; what I mean however is that they ARE likely to hit something when driving over rocks or other pointy terrain, especially combined with the truck's long wheelbase.. Like: Front wheel drives over big rock, down again and then BAM the rock scrapes or dents the side step. I've had this happen with a Suzuki SJ 4x4 with those factory mounted chromium steps. They're significantly lower than floor level, and (on that vehicle) didn't serve a purpose.

* Note that very high actuall off-roaders are better off using small steps near the doors, where they're actually needed as steps; they typically don't run along the side of the vehicle.

* You seem to have mis-spelled my name. The nature of a discussion forum is that not everyone agrees with you all the time.

Edited by Sanpatong

* You're right that they don't lower the lowest point of the vehicle so indeed the ground clearance is the same; what I mean however is that they

The nature of a discussion forum is that not everyone agrees with you all the time.

The last part of your post is about the only thing that you have posted recently that makes sense. You also admitted that you were incorrect regarding ground clearance. I stand absolved :o

The ones you pictured are available from 4x4 shops for the expensive ones, but as you will have seen, also anyone who's anything in cabbage-hauling as them fitted to their trucks.. That probably would work out a lot cheaper, just ask around at Kad Muang Mai I'd say. :o

The one most recently pictured on the back of that Toyota Tiger isn't very heavy duty. Those are literally all over the place at just about any car acessories shop on Charoen Muang road.

You make a good point about it being similar to the produce trucks. It's just that this one also includes a trailer hitch, which I need to pull my farm trailer. I have to disagree about the rails though. On several occasions my rails have taken the hit that would have been to the side of the truck. Very useful, whether the crappy "sacrificial" fiberglass ones I have now or the kind I had in America which were made of drill pipe. Anyhow, I think Khun Noppakorn at Max Autoplus can order me one.