Pattaya Pride! Pattaya Has Arrived.

Jingthing

I don't live there and I don't get there often enough, even though I am only in BKK. Does it have sleaze--yes--and some of the best sleaze to be found anywhere. Is it cosmopolitan--you bet--it's got the best and the worst from everywhere.

When I have visitors, I always take them to Pattaya. From my aging mother and her blue-haired friends, to my nieces and nephews, they all have a great time. There's something for everybody.

It's a Disneyland for Adults.

Not to be missed and easy to get to. And the food, well, the best from everywhere. It's reasonably easy to get around the place (unlike my beloved BKK) and there is a relaxed, easy, everything goes atmosphere.

In spite of the bad press, it's one of the best places to take visitors.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another point, please note well.

Compare to America where many people including Americans from the BORING PLACES and travel writers say:

New York City is not America.

San Francisco is not America.

Miami is not America.

Yet these three are among the most cosmopolitan cities in America, if not the world.

Now have you noticed people including Thais say the same thing about Pattaya?

Pattaya is not Thailand.

Folks, this is a good thing that people say this, Pattaya is evolving into something really special.

Edited by Jingthing

bizarre some comments in here. bkk lads are obviously a lot more refined then pattaya lads.

keep justifying your existence in thailand lads, you do the same us as many times as us. except you wrap it up in "well i met her in a club"

beauts the lot of yer!!!

BKK SMELLS OF RAT PISS

You don't have to go there, Thailands a big place, plenty of places for you visit or hang your hat.

I agree. Some people just don't like cosmopolitan places.

Please tell us the reasons you moved to Pattaya.

Please tell us the reasons you moved to Bangkok

must be the money eh?

You don't have to go there, Thailands a big place, plenty of places for you visit or hang your hat.

must be the money eh?

No, it was the cheap drink and drugs and interest in meditation and Buddhism.

Addictions I successfully managed to quit for many years.

Not everyone is a whoremongering sex-addict.

Do you know the names of the famous temple in Pattaya?

Edited by Neeranam

Sure thing!

I love Pattaya and I love Thailand.

In choosing a place in Thailand to retire, as I have always lived in cities I knew I would only be happy in a more urban area that had farang friendly amenities. I also wanted a place where you wouldn't need a car or moto.

So that leaves: Phuket, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya

Phuket: too expensive, a vehicle a total necessity

Chiang Mai: my second choice, public transport still inconvenient, air quality very bad for some months over the year.

Bangkok: I don't consider such a large city a good fit for a leisurely retirement, but I do love to visit and that is quite easy from Pattaya. Pollution issues. Traffic issues. Air quality issues. Higer cost issues. Many positives: great restaurants and some cultural events, and the best public transport in the country

Pattaya: striking distance to Bangkok, cool ocean breezes (good weather), air quality better than the others except Phuket, good bus service but no taxis, modestly priced but more expensive than Chiang Mai, the ocean views, the relaxed feeling, the fact that you can be OK wearing casual resort clothes day and night all year, the amazing cosmopolitan variety of restaurants getting better every month and now rivaling Bangkok, affordable modern housing, fantastic expat services and support, no need at all to learn Thai (also a negative because no big incentive to either), I could go on. I wasn't a hard decision to make and I think it is indeed the top choice for retired expats.

As far as nightlife, actually there is more nightlife than I personally need, so it can be annoying sometimes. All of the cities I mentioned also have nightlife, so choosing any one of them would not preclude enjoying that entertaining and popular Thailand attraction.

A funny thing: my first impression when I visited Pattaya 10 years ago was that it was the worse place I had ever traveled to! It was not love at first sight in any way. I know many people continue to have this bad first impression. But the more I live here the more I love it and it really is getting better and more cosmopolitan all the time.

Edited by Jingthing

must be the money eh?

No, it was the cheap drink, drugs and good meditation.

An addiction I successfully managed to quit for many years.

Not everyone is a whoremonger.

well there you go then you beaut!! generalise us all you like, but not everyone comes to pattaya for that. just go's to show how much you lot in your perfect capital actually know about people that live in patters,

you havent got a clue. keep up the good work.

but as someone said, the roads from BKK to patters are full from friday coming down, to sunday coming back, must be tourists and thai's though as ex-pats from BKK would never show their face in such a dirty whoremonger city as pattaya.

beaut!!!

Sure thing!

A funny thing: my first impression when I visited Pattaya 10 years ago was that it was the worse place I had ever traveled to! It was not love at first sight in any way. I know many people continue to have this bad first impression. But the more I live here the more I love it and it really is getting better and more cosmopolitan all the time.

I guess this says it all about you Pattaya guys.

bizarre some comments in here. bkk lads are obviously a lot more refined then pattaya lads.

keep justifying your existence in thailand lads, you do the same us as many times as us. except you wrap it up in "well i met her in a club"

beauts the lot of yer!!!

BKK SMELLS OF RAT PISS

I'd never claim to be refined, .... just not blind.

Sure thing!

In choosing a place in Thailand to retire, as I have always lived in cities I knew I would only be happy in a more urban area that had farang friendly amenities. I also wanted a place where you wouldn't need a car or moto.

Chiang Mai: my second choice, public transport still inconvenient, air quality very bad for some months over the year.

Bangkok: I don't consider such a large city a good fit for a leisurely retirement, but I do love to visit and that is quite easy from Pattaya. Pollution issues. Traffic issues. Air quality issues. Higer cost issues. Many positives: great restaurants and some cultural events, and the best public transport in the country

Pattaya: striking distance to Bangkok, cool ocean breezes (good weather), air quality better than the others except Phuket, good bus service but no taxis, modestly priced but more expensive than Chiang Mai, the ocean views, the relaxed feeling, the fact that you can be OK wearing casual resort clothes day and night all year, the amazing cosmopolitan variety of restaurants getting better every month and now rivaling Bangkok, affordable modern housing, fantastic expat services and support, no need at all to learn Thai (also a negative because no big incentive to either), I could go on. I wasn't a hard decision to make and I think it is indeed the top choice for retired expats.

As far as nightlife, actually there is more nightlife than I personally need, so it can be annoying sometimes. All of the cities I mentioned also have nightlife, so choosing any one of them would not preclude enjoying that entertaining and popular Thailand attraction.

excellant post jingthing. exactly how i feel, and it doesnt smell of rats piss

Edited by kopite

Sure thing!

Did the cheap, available young male and female prostitutes have nothing to do with it? Come on, you may be able to fool your relatives and friends back home but don't insult our intelligence.

It really does get tiresome to see the knee-jerk "Pattaya is a cess-pit" brigade dusting off their tired cliches every time this issue comes up.

There is no question at all that Pattaya is a boom-town. No.. not a boom-boom town though that aspect of it is cetainly one of it's attractions. The amount of investment here is plain to see and the future is bright for Pattaya/Jomtien.

Does it really make you feel better to slander a whole city and everyone who lives here? :o

Did the cheap, available young male and female prostitutes have nothing to do with it? Come on, you may be able to fool your relatives and friends back home but don't insult our intelligence.

Nobody's insulting your intelligence Neeranam, but many are questioning it. :o

Sure thing!

Correct me if i,m wrong...............but aren,t you the same person that came here for drugs and alcohol and cheap sex? ( as per your previous posts ) The same one that hints at still obtaining money by errrrrrrrrrrrrrr unusual methods?

Classic................that you can call this.............." Insulting your intelligence " :o

Sure thing!

Correct me if i,m wrong...............but aren,t you the same person that came here for drugs and alcohol and cheap sex? ( as per your previous posts ) The same one that hints at still obtaining money by errrrrrrrrrrrrrr unusual methods?

Classic................that you can call this.............." Insulting your intelligence " :o

I never came here for cheap sex. You have sex on the brain!

I admitted my addiction and beat it, can you?

I quite enjoy Pattaya. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure really. Some aspects of the place are quite ugly and unsightly, but like a scab I find myself returning to have another pick at it. :o

There are also some great shopping places; restaurants; places of interest (above belt-line); etc. It might be a lowest common denominator place in some aspects, but there is something for everyone there, too. Even for snide hypocrites. :D

Excuse me, but if I had moved to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or Phuket would you have asked me that rude question?

All citiies in Thailand have available young male and female prostitutes and your relatives abroad know that too and stigmatize all of Thailand, just as rude and unfair as your stigmatizing of Pattaya.

Pat is becoming more like bkk, but it still has a long way to go.

The day that Pattaya becomes like BKK is the day that I leave.

I would say that most Pattaya residents chose to live there because it's NOT a big city.

The day that Pattaya becomes like BKK is the day that I leave.

I would say that most Pattaya residents chose to live there because it's NOT a big city.

It will never be exactly like Bangkok as it will continue to be an urban beach resort. But given that the beach itself is below average, Pattaya has little choice but to develop its urban amenities. But it will become even more of a big city, like it or not. I happen to like it.

Edited by Jingthing

What, no Pattaya bashers?

There is no need for ThaiVisa members to bash Pattaya. The AP news agency is doing a good job:

Police said one of the focuses of their search is the town of Pattaya — a popular seaside resort about 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok — known for its beaches, thriving sex industry and high crime rate.

Source: <a href="http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-10-18-neil_N.htm" target="_blank">http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-10-18-neil_N.htm</a>

--

Maestro

And Reuters described Pattaya as a "sleazy seedy town" thus the world press has got the place pegged.

And Reuters described Pattaya as a "sleazy seedy town" thus the world press has got the place pegged.

Chiang Mai, have you been here lately? Perhaps you should take a fresh air look and escape to here during the Chiang Mai gas mask season.

And I suppose you also approve of the way the international media characterizes Thailand in general, with the same one dimensional sensationalism?

I would agree Pattaya is known for its sex industry and beaches. It will take time for the international media to learn about the cosmopolitan evolution of the new Pattaya. But I assert that people in Pattaya now have alot of to be happy about where they live, and should not be ashamed of where they live. Pattaya is an exciting, fascinating, unique international urban beach resort. Of course there is room for improvement in Pattaya as there is in all of Thailand.

However, I question the high crime rate compared to Phuket and Bangkok or Los Angeles. I feel much safer here at night than any American city I know. Can anyone provide any reliable statistics to prove that Pattaya's crime rate is exceptionally high? I doubt you can.

My feeling is that the future of Pattaya is along the Acapulco model. Acapulco also is both a very large city and also the main beach resort for the megalopolis of Mexico City. Acapulco has many sex workers and always will, and people don't have any problem with that, as that aspect is an integral part of any urban beach resort in the world. It is also like Pattaya famous for all varieties of "naughty" nightlife. Acapulco is a "mature" destination, not trendy, but solid and not going away. Acapulco attracts tourists mostly from Mexico but also from all over South America. As time goes on, Pattaya also is likely to rely more heavily on more nearby tourists: Russia, China, the Middle East, the rest of Asia. And BTW, Acapulco has taxis!!!!

Edited by Jingthing