Retirement Visa, O-a Visa, Extension O Visa

I went to Bangkok from chiang Mai to open an account at HSBC. I had ensured I had all docs in hand, and indeed they said I did. However the passport showed an extension of the visa but without expressly saying it was an O-A visa, which the HSBC officer said was the required designation of a retirement visa. Yet I had got the extension on the basis of my original O visa, my age (ovr 50) and the funds being in excess of 800k for the 3+ months.

The HSBC woman even pulled out her manual sheet to show that a retirement visa is an O-A visa. So I have to return with that for my account.

Why did the Chiang Mai immigration not specify the O-A on my visa? I will be be going back to them in a couple of days - how shall I tackle this to optimize my getting what I want with the least aggravation? Can I do this at a different immigration office, even though the current visa is a CM stamp? (Since getting it I have moved to Chiang Rai and Mae Sai will be more convenient.)

I would really appreciate explanation and some guidance, so that I can get visa and account done next month.

A retirement visa would be an O-A visa. But a retirement extension of stay, which most of us have, is not a visa. What you have is a one year extension of stay obtained for retirement - it is not a "retirement visa" which is only available from a Consulate outside Thailand.

If HSBC is not willing to open an account for you I would try another bank. There loss.

I am a novice in these matters but I extended my non imm 'o' visa based on retirement last week in Jomtien. The extension 'bit' just says 'retirement' extended to blah blah. It makes no mention of the type of visa on the previous page.

The O-A visa, I think, is only obtained at a consulate outside Thailand so I cant see how you can comply with the banks request.

More experienced members will hopefully give more advice.

P

There are many threads on this issue, non-imm-O vs. non-imm-O-A. My recollection of the cumulative wisdom of the posts, including posts by lopburi3, is that non-imm-O-A visas are visas issued overseas in Thai Consulates and Embassy's and non-imm-O visas are issued only in Thailand by immigration. I have been issued two such visas in Thailand and they both say clearly, non-imm-O.

Edited by ProThaiExpat

A non immigrant O-A is issued for retirement and is pre-approved for one year permitted to stay from a Consulate overseas. A non immigrant O visa is also normally issued by a Consulate but Immigration can issue if you qualify for extension of stay - but at an extra 2,000 baht fee.

Any reason why you need to have an account with HSBC ?

Obviously you have at least one other Thai bank account as you

have been able to comply with the 800k requirement, just wondering

as you have gone to so much trouble.

I real bummer to travel from CM and return without getting a result !

Also, I am intrigued as to why the woman would discriminate between a

Non O and an O-A.

Naka.

Myself opened my HSBC Thailand account from my local HSBC/First Direct Bank in the UK…

On getting my 1st Visa extension they told me the account was not correct and said I would need to go back to HSBC and open a ‘Fixed Deposit A/C.. This I did, that was over 4 years ago, never any problem with the yearly Visa + a much better interest rate than any of the other Banks. So just the 800,000 sits in this account year after year just for the Visa yearly extension.

My day to day banking + Visa account is with Bangkok Bank

Myself opened my HSBC Thailand account from my local HSBC/First Direct Bank in the UK…

On getting my 1st Visa extension they told me the account was not correct and said I would need to go back to HSBC and open a ‘Fixed Deposit A/C.. This I did, that was over 4 years ago, never any problem with the yearly Visa + a much better interest rate than any of the other Banks. So just the 800,000 sits in this account year after year just for the Visa yearly extension.

My day to day banking + Visa account is with Bangkok Bank

You do not need a fixed deposit account but if that is what you want any bank can offer those at better than deposit rates. But all you need to do, until this year, was have 800k in your bank account at the time of application (now required for three months).

Thank you for the several, enlightening and helpful replies. If I amplify the information on my side some queries raised will be answered.

HSBC was prepared to open a non-resident account, but that was (a) costlier - with a monthly charge and (:o required a substantial min 6 mth fixed depo to earn any interest on balances. They wanted the O-A visa for a resident account which would give me the flexibility with balances etc and be competitive with thia banks. (I do have accounts with SCB and TMB.)

If I can get the 'retirement' written in as pontious managed to get it may get me what I want - though obviously I will get this pre-approved before making another trip to BKK. It is frustrating that the woman didn't have the flexibility of mind to see the equivalence of an extended non-O and the O-A; but perhaps the same could be said of the author of the manual which she was going by.

The reason I want the HSBC account is that transfers from my HSBC, Paris and HSBC singapore accounts would be easier and without charge. (I pay £20+ for transfers from another bank overseas.)

I will ask CM to write 'retirement' on my visa. But if, as I expect, they won't, I will wait for my next due extension, and on that occasion specifically request that they make some sort of annotation that this is a retirement visa.

Maybe Mae Sai will be more helpful on this point next year.