Google Hits New High

There are lots of things I read on the Internet which I don't believe, a disproportionate number of which are here in TV and no where so concentrated as in posts discussing 'personal wealth and investments'.

Of course what I believe and what I do not believe varies from post to post, but in this particular case I find, among other things, the idea that anyone is going to make financial decisions involving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the basis of advice received on TV's 'General' forum.

Maybe its the fact I haven't had a beer for a few weeks now, or maybe its something else.... either way, I'm taking this post with a large pinch of salt.

Agreed,

He is a teacher, earning a pittance, according to his own admissions previously.

He invests 10k UK which he can sell now to release 5.5 million baht, and he comes on here to ask all these armchair financial analysts what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

In one word <deleted>

You really are quite the know all.

Back in 2004 I lived in Gloucester MA. Thats in the USA in case you have problems understanding that.

Married to an American lass who,s father worked and still does.............for Goldman Sachs in Boston. That,s a little investment bank ( amongst other things ) in case you didn,t know. :o

My OP stated I took advice.................which I did. He bought the shares for me amongst a million other things. I simply gave him the money. And yes.........the shares were at $84.00 ........maybe 85. I,m not 100%. It was 4 years ago. Why do you have a hard time understanding that?

I have since divorced ( not amicably ) and left the USA after selling the small company I had over there. My wife got half...........but I kept the shares and some other stuff.

I then located to Thailand in 2005.

I work as a teacher and its a pittance...........so what? I like working. I have my own place, my own car, a couple of bikes paid for with the other half of the company sale. I,m not bragging. Far from it. I got lucky. Thats it. End of.

I came on here to ask advice from folk on TV, some who seem quite intelligent about financial matters. Because I am nowhere near even a beginner on the stock markets. I take advice.

So as for you saying " <deleted>" to me JacknDanny..........do me a favour and and ask your Mitsi avator to do the same to you.

Same applies to you Guesthouse.

To the more sensible posters who have asked................no, I did not sell the other 50%. I still have those.

No doubt JacknDanny will gloat. I don,t see it that way.

Edited by stevemiddie

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of things I read on the Internet which I don't believe, a disproportionate number of which are here in TV and no where so concentrated as in posts discussing 'personal wealth and investments'.

Of course what I believe and what I do not believe varies from post to post, but in this particular case I find, among other things, the idea that anyone is going to make financial decisions involving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the basis of advice received on TV's 'General' forum.

Maybe its the fact I haven't had a beer for a few weeks now, or maybe its something else.... either way, I'm taking this post with a large pinch of salt.

Agreed,

He is a teacher, earning a pittance, according to his own admissions previously.

He invests 10k UK which he can sell now to release 5.5 million baht, and he comes on here to ask all these armchair financial analysts what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

In one word <deleted>

Back in 2004 I lived in Gloucester MA. Thats in the USA in case you have problems understanding that.

Married to an American lass who,s father worked and still does.............for Goldman Sachs in Boston. That,s a little investment bank ( amongst other things ) in case you didn,t know. :o

My OP stated I took advice.................which I did. He bought the shares for me amongst a million other things. I simply gave him the money. And yes.........the shares were at $84.00. Why do you have a hard time understanding that?

I have since divorced ( not amicably ) and left the USA after selling the small company I had over there. My wife got half...........but I kept the shares and some other stuff.

I work as a teacher and its a pittance...........so what? I like working. I have my own place, my own car, a couple of bikes paid for with the other half of the company sale. I,m not bragging. Far from it. I got lucky. Thats it. End of.

I came on here to ask advice from folk on TV, some who seem quite intelligent about financial matters. Because I am nowhere near even a beginner on the stock markets. I take advice.

So as for you saying " <deleted>" to me JacknDanny..........do me a favour and and ask your Mitsi avator to do the same to you.

To the more sensible posters who have asked................no, I did not sell the other 50%. I still have those.

Its so funny, you answered every part of my post except the part where I asked for proof of the trade, whereupon, I would donate 20k to your favourite charity.

Call me a sceptic, but if someone had accused me of bullsh!tting about a trade I would have had proof in his hand the very next day!!

Agreed,

In one word <deleted>

My OP stated I took advice.................which I did. He bought the shares for me amongst a million other things. I simply gave him the money. And yes.........the shares were at $84.00. Why do you have a hard time understanding that?

Its so funny, you answered every part of my post except the part where I asked for proof of the trade, whereupon, I would donate 20k to your favourite charity.

Call me a sceptic, but if someone had accused me of bullsh!tting about a trade I would have had proof in his hand the very next day!!

Oh get lost. You really are a ********. Whats the matter? Having a bad hair day?

Sold through Redmayne-Bentley in Leeds......UK.

Paperwork sent to fathers home in the UK. Money into my UK bank.

I take a little what I need from it through Moneybookers if I want to treat my wife to a few days away.

( Read the posts on Paypal )

Do me a favour you jealous little **** and wallow in your self-pity.

Agreed,

In one word <deleted>

Why on earth would you do that?

Insecurity problems? I think you need to grow up a little. Perfect avatar for you by the way.

Agreed,

In one word <deleted>

Married to an American lass who,s father worked and still does.............for Goldman Sachs in Boston. That,s a little investment bank ( amongst other things ) in case you didn,t know. :D

Insecurity problems? I think you need to grow up a little. Perfect avatar for you by the way.

:o:D:D

So you do not have proof of either the purchase or the sale.

Dream on sunshine :D

Oh please JacknDanny...leave the man alone. He gave a plausible story and explanation and its absolutely ridiculous that you ask for a PROVE that he bought/sold his shares, where ever, whenever and at what price.

You blow a normal OP question into absurd proportions.

And, if you don't believe him, so be it. It's NOT of YOUR business.

LaoPo

Agreed,

In one word <deleted>

Married to an American lass who,s father worked and still does.............for Goldman Sachs in Boston. That,s a little investment bank ( amongst other things ) in case you didn,t know. :D

:o:D:D

So you do not have proof of either the purchase or the sale.

Dream on sunshine :D

I don,t need too. I have nothing to prove to **********,s.

Oh please JacknDanny...leave the man alone. He gave a plausible story and explanation and its absolutely ridiculous that you ask for a PROVE that he bought/sold his shares, where ever, whenever and at what price.

You blow a normal OP question into absurd proportions.

And, if you don't believe him, so be it. It's NOT of YOUR business.

LaoPo

Who rattled your cage??

Its a public forum, which makes whatever is on there my business, your business and whoevers business :o

If you were a little bit more familiar with the Investment market and in particular the 'Google' story, then I do not think you would use the word plausible in your post.

And to the OP, there is a saying "Either take a sh!t or get off the pot"

But if he doesnt want my 20k going to a good cause, then he can keep quiet..Its OK :D

Stevemiddie:

Keep your shares for the time being.... :o

Ahead of the Bell: Google

February 27, 2008 9:17 AM ET

"NEW YORK (AP) - An analyst kept a strong view of Google Inc. Wednesday despite recent erosions to shares of the Internet search engine and news earlier this week that "paid clicks" at the site were flat over last year.

Banc of America Securities analyst Brian J. Pitz kept his "Buy" rating but cut hits price target to $700 from $775 on the Mountain View, Calif., company and said it remains one of his top picks.

Despite the paid click data, "we remain positive on Google and would be buyers at these levels," Pitz said in a client note.

Shares of Google fell $4.96 to $459.30 in premarket trading Wednesday. The stock has lost 37.4 percent of its value since an all-time high of $741.79 set on Nov. 6, 2007."

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/...&id=8249385

Note:

Buy some more if GOOG dives below $ 450.--

LaoPo

Stevemiddie:

Keep your shares for the time being.... :o

"NEW YORK (AP) - An analyst kept a strong view of Google Inc. Wednesday despite recent erosions to shares of the Internet search engine and news earlier this week that "paid clicks" at the site were flat over last year.

Banc of America Securities analyst Brian J. Pitz kept his "Buy" rating but cut hits price target to $700 from $775 on the Mountain View, Calif., company and said it remains one of his top picks.

Despite the paid click data, "we remain positive on Google and would be buyers at these levels," Pitz said in a client note.

Shares of Google fell $4.96 to $459.30 in premarket trading Wednesday. The stock has lost 37.4 percent of its value since an all-time high of $741.79 set on Nov. 6, 2007."

Note:

LaoPo

Thank you for that. I was always considering holding onto them unless I ever had a real cash emergency.

I have read some of JacknDanny,s post,s. He is quite an arrogant cocky so and so, often offensive. Obviously he has issues in his life. I suspect deep down, he is quite unhappy.

Stevemiddie:

Keep your shares for the time being.... :D

Note:

LaoPo

Thank you for that. I was always considering holding onto them unless I ever had a real cash emergency.

I have read some of JacknDanny,s post,s. He is quite an arrogant cocky so and so, often offensive. Obviously he has issues in his life. I suspect deep down, he is quite unhappy.

:D:D

Your funny!!

Guess teacher always wants to get in the last word :o

Stevemiddie:

Keep your shares for the time being.... :D

Note:

LaoPo

:D:D

Your funny!!

Guess teacher always wants to get in the last word :o

Where did you get that idea from ? :D

LaoPo

It seems you can wait a little longer...a P/E at ca. 33 is still too high at the moment if I look at the bad financial news, coming out now.

GOOG $ 443.--now, down around -3% at this moment, still trading of course.

LaoPo

Can't remember who wanted a trade ticket but I'll tell you that it does not exist. However, you can wind you neck in as it would have been aggregated with lots of others. Most likely, the ex FIL posted it on his account and transferred the requisite number of shares to the SIL.

I was in the markets from the early 90's way past 2000 and we all had accounts. I was not a managing director or "big boss" but in the middle I suppose. As long as you were not directly involved with an IPO etc. then the Chinese Walls were sufficient to stop insider trading (really ?).

If you really want to have some fun then look at the London listing of Billiton (now BHP Billiton) lead underwriter Kleinwort Benson. Everyone knew there was a massive overhang in the market and they were haemoraging money each day eating into their underwriting fees.

Of course we were short. Why not ? But we didn't do it on individual tickets.

So to the OP - I believe you and don't worry what the detractors say.

Can't remember who wanted a trade ticket but I'll tell you that it does not exist. However, you can wind you neck in as it would have been aggregated with lots of others. Most likely, the ex FIL posted it on his account and transferred the requisite number of shares to the SIL.

I was in the markets from the early 90's way past 2000 and we all had accounts. I was not a managing director or "big boss" but in the middle I suppose. As long as you were not directly involved with an IPO etc. then the Chinese Walls were sufficient to stop insider trading (really ?).

If you really want to have some fun then look at the London listing of Billiton (now BHP Billiton) lead underwriter Kleinwort Benson. Everyone knew there was a massive overhang in the market and they were haemoraging money each day eating into their underwriting fees.

Of course we were short. Why not ? But we didn't do it on individual tickets.

So to the OP - I believe you and don't worry what the detractors say.

You called that correctly.

I,m not worried about JacknDanny..........I figure him for being a miserable jealous Brit. :o

Google shares could fall another 20 percent

Sun Mar 9, 2008 7:14pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Google Inc, whose shares have plunged more than 40 percent since November, could fall almost another 20 percent due to the U.S. economic slowdown and aggressive spending by the Internet search engine company, according to the latest issue of Barron's.

"While a short-term bounce might follow the stock's swift descent, the shares are likely to head even lower if analysts start slashing their earnings estimates to reflect today's tougher operating environment, as they should be doing," the report said.

The article's headline questioned whether Google shares, which closed on Friday at $433.35, could be headed below $350.

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNew...940248220080309

LaoPo

• 6 months later...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Google Inc, whose shares have plunged more than 40 percent since November, could fall almost another 20 percent due to the U.S. economic slowdown and aggressive spending by the Internet search engine company, according to the latest issue of Barron's.

"While a short-term bounce might follow the stock's swift descent, the shares are likely to head even lower if analysts start slashing their earnings estimates to reflect today's tougher operating environment, as they should be doing," the report said.

The article's headline questioned whether Google shares, which closed on Friday at $433.35, could be headed below $350.

LaoPo

The above was 7 months ago...and it DID end below $ 350 today.

GOOG ended at 346.01 today October 7, 2008

I think it's still too high (coming from an all time high less than one year ago at $ 741 = more than 50% down) with a present P/E of around 22/23.

Any comments ? :o

LaoPo

LaoPo

The above was 7 months ago...and it DID end below $ 350 today.

GOOG ended at 346.01 today October 7, 2008

I think it's still too high (coming from an all time high less than one year ago at $ 741 = more than 50% down) with a present P/E of around 22/23.

Any comments ? :o

LaoPo

below 250 where a wave of panic selling can easily drop it I would be on the buy side, no way above 300.

other than a short term loss in earnings due to decreased spending nothing has changed about the underlying reasons for this stock being so strong before. they still have a huge market share in an industry which will be crucially important all over the world for the next decades, at least.

it seems like a bargain at 22/23 to me and if it falls below 250 i will start buying it without a doubt. this company is a long term winner. if the economy gets really bad it will only make them stronger as non-profitable and smaller companies will be forced out of business. like in the 90's when microsoft said that all tech companies were overpriced and the markets tanked, a bunch of their competitors were forced out of business or had to scale back growth. their position of strength was increased even though the short term value of their company went down as well.

goog goog goog goog. it will be back to 700 then 1000 in the next 5 years. you can count on that.

other than a short term loss in earnings due to decreased spending nothing has changed about the underlying reasons for this stock being so strong before. they still have a huge market share in an industry which will be crucially important all over the world for the next decades, at least.

it seems like a bargain at 22/23 (P/E, LP) to me and if it falls below 250 i will start buying it without a doubt. this company is a long term winner. if the economy gets really bad it will only make them stronger as non-profitable and smaller companies will be forced out of business. like in the 90's when microsoft said that all tech companies were overpriced and the markets tanked, a bunch of their competitors were forced out of business or had to scale back growth. their position of strength was increased even though the short term value of their company went down as well.

goog goog goog goog. it will be back to 700 then 1000 in the next 5 years. you can count on that.

I'm not arguing if Google is a long term winner; it is.

But maybe you can explain why GOOG has a P/E of 22/23 (now 25 !) and another one, also long term and (almost) monopolist, Microsoft MSFT has a P/E of -just- 13/14 ?

LaoPo

It's a long ways back up to $700. I advised him to sell and gave Yahoo as an example. Some people thought it would never stop going up. You never lose money by taking a profit, especially a HEALTHY profit.

I just wish I would have taken my own advice. :o

Why is Microsoft at 35 and Google 700+ I dont get it.

I should have bought Google last year.

The price of a stock itself doesn't say very much.

Microsoft has a P/E of 22+ and Google 54+.........

Also, you can't compare the 2 companies.

Microsoft started trading in 1986 at $ 0.09 cents :D or so, with an all time high of $ 55 at the beginning of 2000; now around $ 34/35.

Google started trading in August 2004 at around $ 108 (18 years later than Microsoft) with an all time high at $ 747 (not the plane :o ), now at around $ 693.

Personally I consider Microsoft as a more robust company versus Google (don't attack me Gents...) because of the enormous possibilities in the Far East with more than 3.3 Billion consumers.

Bill Gates has personal ties with Beijing and they're doing the utmost to have the copy industry 'killed' with low cost versions of their software.

But, of course Google has it's enormous growing possibilities as well in the same region.

But, at the moment with a declining Dollar I won't buy either of them -yet-.

LaoPo

.....and MSFT has had (7) 2 for 1 splits as well as a couple 3 for 2 since inception. :D

it seems like a bargain at 22/23 (P/E, LP) to me and if it falls below 250 i will start buying it without a doubt. this company is a long term winner. if the economy gets really bad it will only make them stronger as non-profitable and smaller companies will be forced out of business. like in the 90's when microsoft said that all tech companies were overpriced and the markets tanked, a bunch of their competitors were forced out of business or had to scale back growth. their position of strength was increased even though the short term value of their company went down as well.

But maybe you can explain why GOOG has a P/E of 22/23 (now 25 !) and another one, also long term and (almost) monopolist, Microsoft MSFT has a P/E of -just- 13/14 ?

LaoPo

What a softball. You really don't know the answer to that question?

Microsoft is a dying business. Their share of the browser market, operating system market and wordpressing/spreadsheet market is decreasing and only has one way to go, down.

As the browser and internet applications get better and better in lock-step with broadband and computer hardware around the world, their monopoly on the operating system will also decline in importance. I predict in 20 years people wont even have operating systems on new PC's, they'll just have a machine ready to be hooked up to the internet. A lot of things need to happen to get there, like free ubiquitous wifi or wimax for one, but thats where we are headed. The browser will ultimately become your operating system. Applications, storage, sharing, communicating...all of that will be done online. We wont need Windows. Microsoft is in a great position to usher in that new era, but they make all the wrong decisions and are too focused on controlling people and licensing revenues and not nearly focuses enough on giving people what they want. Case in point is YouTube. Google doesn't care how much money they make from YouTube, they want to give people what they want and get billions of hits. Microsoft would ruin that business with restrictions, fee's, downloads and all kinds of other garbage people don't want. Another great example if Vista. What a terrible operating system that is. Slow and bulky and overdone with security features. It needs to be fast and simple and never crash. Thats all people want from their operating system. Instead they try to control your computing and internet experience and in the process make people hate them and urn for the days when they wont need MSFT anymore.

90% of MSFT's money comes from customers who are their customers for no other reason than they have to be. People don't use Windows or Word because they are the best. They use them because everybody else does and they really don't have a choice. The other 10% like Xbox and MSNBC and the like is their only hope of getting out of this rut, but if the last 5+ years are any indication, they don't have much of a clue or a grasp on what consumers really want. And if they do get it they are far too concerned with saving their existing revenue streams to give it to them.

Google on the other hand is a company everybody uses by absolute choice. Nobody needs Google. How hard would it be to start searching via Yahoo? To switch email providers? To advertise your online business with Adbrite? Not hard at all. And that is exactly what people would and will do if Google wasn't the best. The reason they have such huge market share and are growing at such a torrid pace, is because they get it. Fully. They understand what people need and want. One can only imagine this will continue.

MSFT on the other hand will only continue to shrivel and die imo, and they know that, thats why they are so deathly afraid of Google and try so hard to compete with them.

Edited by DegenFarang

LaoPo

What a softball. You really don't know the answer to that question?

Microsoft is a dying business. Their share of the browser market, operating system market and wordpressing/spreadsheet market is decreasing and only has one way to go, down.

As the browser and internet applications get better and better in lock-step with broadband and computer hardware around the world, their monopoly on the operating system will also decline in importance. I predict in 20 years people wont even have operating systems on new PC's, they'll just have a machine ready to be hooked up to the internet. A lot of things need to happen to get there, like free ubiquitous wifi or wimax for one, but thats where we are headed. The browser will ultimately become your operating system. Applications, storage, sharing, communicating...all of that will be done online. We wont need Windows. Microsoft is in a great position to usher in that new era, but they make all the wrong decisions and are too focused on controlling people and licensing revenues and not nearly focuses enough on giving people what they want. Case in point is YouTube. Google doesn't care how much money they make from YouTube, they want to give people what they want and get billions of hits. Microsoft would ruin that business with restrictions, fee's, downloads and all kinds of other garbage people don't want. Another great example if Vista. What a terrible operating system that is. Slow and bulky and overdone with security features. It needs to be fast and simple and never crash. Thats all people want from their operating system. Instead they try to control your computing and internet experience and in the process make people hate them and urn for the days when they wont need MSFT anymore.

90% of MSFT's money comes from customers who are their customers for no other reason than they have to be. People don't use Windows or Word because they are the best. They use them because everybody else does and they really don't have a choice. The other 10% like Xbox and MSNBC and the like is their only hope of getting out of this rut, but if the last 5+ years are any indication, they don't have much of a clue or a grasp on what consumers really want. And if they do get it they are far too concerned with saving their existing revenue streams to give it to them.

Google on the other hand is a company everybody uses by absolute choice. Nobody needs Google. How hard would it be to start searching via Yahoo? To switch email providers? To advertise your online business with Adbrite? Not hard at all. And that is exactly what people would and will do if Google wasn't the best. The reason they have such huge market share and are growing at such a torrid pace, is because they get it. Fully. They understand what people need and want. One can only imagine this will continue.

MSFT on the other hand will only continue to shrivel and die imo, and they know that, thats why they are so deathly afraid of Google and try so hard to compete with them.

That's a very interesting answer and you obviously know more about the IT market, it's possibilities and non-possibilities than I do and that's a compliment. Your answer however is a very technical-view one and I don't know if the majority of investors in shares of both companies know and realize what YOU do...?

And, I am still wary about companies which such high P/E's (above 15-20) because history has shown that if a recession or worse hits the market/world, those shares will be severely hit and more than others.

Even GOOG had to swallow a drop of -50% from it's top of $ 741.-- within 1 year and that's HUGE !

The rise in shares of the past 1-2 days on the stock markets is no sign yet of a world recovery; on the contrary. GOOG's stock could still drop and drop, who knows; but if you buy at -250..I would too :o

Also, I wouldn't bet and underestimate the people on top of MSFT....they'll learn fast and what's more, they have the -huge- cash available to turn the tide, if necessary. At one point they will and because they are so rich, they can afford it and even afford to change their way of thinking.

But, it's just IMHO.

LaoPo

I don't know if the majority of investors in shares of both companies know and realize what YOU do...?

The major shareholders are hedge funds, mutual funds and other large pools of money. Those are the people who move the markets, not small timers. These people are very smart and yes they understand exactly what the pro's and con's are of each company. That is why the PE's are different.

they'll learn fast

That is the whole point. No, they wont. Over ten years ago they saw this coming. They squashed Netscape and released Internet Explorer because they know how dangerous the internet was to their business. In those 10+ years they still haven't adapted their business model and taken a leadership roll in anything other than the browser...to which they are losing market share daily.

Edited by DegenFarang

I don't know if the majority of investors in shares of both companies know and realize what YOU do...?

1. The major shareholders are hedge funds, mutual funds and other large pools of money. Those are the people who move the markets, not small timers. These people are very smart and yes they understand exactly what the pro's and con's are of each company.

2. That is why the PE's are different.

they'll learn fast

3. That is the whole point. No, they wont. Over ten years ago they saw this coming.

They squashed Netscape and released Internet Explorer because they know how dangerous the internet was to their business. In those 10+ years they still haven't adapted their business model and taken a

4. leadership roll in anything other than the browser...to which they are losing market share daily.

1. I know; everybody knows that.

2. Different P/E's ? OK...I can accept that, but not a difference between a P/E of 12 and a DOUBLE P/E of -present- 24 for GOOG; there is no justification for such an extreme high P/E. The 24 is absurd, especially now we are in a very fragile market.

3. 10 years is nothing in history, especially the IT world. Only time will tell.

MSFT will diversify and survive, grow and become bigger and bigger. Their products, they built MSFT upon may fade away and disappear but not the company itself. Their balance sheet is too healthy and powerful.

4. Leadership: It would be good for MSFT to have their leaders replaced with young fresh blood and brains.

But, again: time will tell.

LaoPo

I predict in 20 years people wont even have operating systems on new PC's, they'll just have a machine ready to be hooked up to the internet.

I find your views very one-sided and rather tech-ignorant. There has never been and will never be a computer without an OS. As long as you can make software for it, it has an OS. Anyway, what you say are Microsofts weakness is rather its strength. Google you can easily switch away from, a Microsoft OS is much more difficlut to get rid of no matter how much you want. There are several competitors to Google, and who knows, one day one of them might get it right. If somebody makes a better OS does not mean people will start using it. Far from it. Not a single real comercial OS effort outside of Apple is carried out these days. It is next to impossible to compete in this market. That leaves the free Linux, and never say never, but in the near future Linux is definitly not for the masses.

Google are trying to diversify it's portofolio, but a very big majority of it's income comes from web-search. They are mostly in markets where people don't want or dont have to pay. Microsoft on the other hand makes money in so many places it's almost unbelievable. It can continue to stall Google by handing out free alternatives to Google as it makes money elsewhere.

Finally, when your application crashes, dont blame only the OS. It is far, far more likely a bug in the program and no OS will ever be able to correct that.

WB

Wonderboy,

There has never been and will never be a computer without an OS. As long as you can make software for it, it has an OS

In the future, there will be no software. There will be no applications. People will not need an OS, only a way to get on the internet. Today you need an OS to do this, however to say that there will never be a computer which is unable to do anything is fairly ignorant on your part. I wouldn't be surprised if one day my PC made me Latte's. Surely somebody could build a computer which could get onto the internet without an operating system. Maybe not today, but give them 10-20 years to work on it, and allow the supporting technologies to catch up, and I'm sure it will be done. And even if we go with your view that it wont be possible, surely you can agree that it wont need to be Windows. If you can do all of your file storage, browsing, email, word processing and everything else you do with your PC, from any computer with an internet connection, why on earth would you pay $500 for Windows? Or $500 for MS Office? In the future everything will be available free on the internet, Microsoft's position of power will slowly erode until this is a reality.

Anyway, what you say are Microsofts weakness is rather its strength.

Correct. Today. However as I showed above, it will slowly erode over time. Google's position of strength is they are poised to take the reigns, slowly, from Microsoft, as everything moves to the internet. They could botch this you are right. That is the risk of holding Google stock. They are doing a good job so far. They lead online search, online advertising, online video, have the best email application, have the best free analytics for webmasters....a host of other best or near best in class. All free with the exception of placing ads. They also have a huge pile of cash that they use to buy companies where they are unable to develop leading products themselves...see YouTube.

What has Microsoft got to show they are ready to usher in the new era? They've got an eroding monopoly on the OS, Browser and Word Processing. Key word being 'eroding'.

It can continue to stall Google by handing out free alternatives to Google as it makes money elsewhere.

Please show me one instance where this has happened. Google doesn't give things away because they have to, that is their business model. The products are advertiser supported. Which is another wonderful example of how MSFT just does not get it. People don't want to pay for things! They want and expect it free. Google understands this, so they make the companies pay.

Either or both or neither of these companies could lead the way into the future of computing. My point is just that Google, at the present time, seems far more likely to do it than MSFT.

Edited by DegenFarang

There has never been and will never be a computer without an OS. As long as you can make software for it, it has an OS

In the future, there will be no software. There will be no applications. People will not need an OS, only a way to get on the internet. Today you need an OS to do this, however to say that there will never be a computer which is unable to do anything is fairly ignorant on your part.

You confuse OS and graphical user interface (GUI). In the old days your PC where running MS-DOS without a GUI at all. Without an OS, it is not a computer. Everything running software has it. Even your phone, your game-console, your I-Pod etc. What you most probably are trying to say is that the GUI will be replaced by a browser, and that might be. But the browser will run on top of the OS, just as the GUI do. And the browser is software, and applications will alway be there regardless if they run hosted on a server or embedded in your browser.

Please show me one instance where this has happened. Google doesn't give things away because they have to, that is their business model. The products are advertiser supported. Which is another wonderful example of how MSFT just does not get it. People don't want to pay for things! They want and expect it free. Google understands this, so they make the companies pay.

Either or both or neither of these companies could lead the way into the future of computing. My point is just that Google, at the present time, seems far more likely to do it than MSFT.

Almost all Google services are free at the entry level only. Go for the more useful stuff and you have to pay. A solely advertisement revenue approach is not viable even for Google. MS has many comparable services as Google (Google Maps/MSN maps, GMail/Hotmail, Chrome/IExplorer, desktop search, internet search etc.) and they hold eachother stalemate as none can charge in fear of loosing users to the other. In the long run MS has far more and dependable revenue sources, whereas Google's money comes almost from web-search only. I think you have no idea in how many businesses MS is involved outside strictly developing software. Google is as far as I know only developing software.

Btw, I am not a Microsoft fan at all. Would have liked to see that company split up to make competition more fair. Can not remember Microsoft loosing a dominant position yet. The closest must be to Firefox, but IE is still the most dominant by far.

WB