Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

About taxi prices.

Years ago, in Bangkok there were no meters in taxis and everyone had to agree a fare with the driver before starting the trip. This invariably led to bargaining, until both sides agreed to an equitable fare. It wasn't a bad system, but a lot of hassle. Strangely enough, farangs developed a reputation of being very mean and bargaining lower fares than most Thais. (A prerequisite was a smattering of Thai, of course.)

Nowadays the 'air connned' meter taxis in BKK are a dream. Yes, you can find awkward ones that refuse to use the meter for certain long journeys, but it is rarely, if ever the case that another one won't come along pretty soon who will agree to use his meter.

I live in Pong - the far side of the lake, and quite distance from Siam Country club Soi, and I can assure you that it never takes me more than 20 minutes to drive from my home to Jomtien - which is further than Pattaya Tai, and I don't speed.

A 20 minute journey by taxi meter in BKK, depending on traffic, will rarely cost more than 45 Baht, usually less.

Anyway, Pattaya isn't Bangkok,so let's say 50 Baht by meter to the Dark Side. There's little or no chance of the driver picking up a return fare, so it would be reasonable to double it - so we are at 100 Baht already. As I said, this isn't Bangkok, the circumstances are different, so I don't think 150 Baht is too unreasonable.

There is a Songtow (Baht Bus) driver who lives near me and plies his trade between Sukhumvit and Pong, and he can be chartered to take me into Pattaya and I can stay as long as I like, and then he will drive me home, all for 300 Baht, which I think is pretty good.

Maybe Pattaya taxis should have a different meter structure, and as someone suggested, maybe there should be a surcharge to go East of Sukhumvit - say 50 Baht.

This is early days, and if the taxi service is to grow and prosper, someone needs to take it in hand and get the fares properly structured, but I doubt it will ever be as cheap and convenient as it is in BKK.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fine with ZONE surcharges on top of the meter as long as reasonable and consistently applied. Also makes sense for call in pickups (until we reach a critical mass in other words, enough taxis) and also for the darkside. Inner Jomtien is not the darkside. Naklua is not the darkside. Na Jomtien and east of Suk are.

For special trips outside the metro area, of course negotiation for a fare would be fine, such as a ride to Chonburi city, Rayong, Satahip, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

You can just ask them to use the meter, say no thanks -- use the meter or forget it, and POLITELY WALK AWAY.

That's what I would do. Slamming doors or leaving them open is not going to help anyone. And there's no point starting a hysterical campaign (that no one else is joining). It will be decided by market forces. If enough people are willing to pay charter fares in a metred taxi then it will continue. If not then the drivers will give the metre a go. They're just trying to make as much profit as possible and if they're operating in an unregulated environment then all you can do is withdraw your custom.

I don't think the mafia taxi company want this short time experiment of metered taxis to work so it will fail. :D If they are not mafia run then why can't some other company setup in the darkside who will have may be 50 meter taxis to start but will run with all using there meters. With a 50 baht charge for the west side of pattaya :o Because we all know the people who live here that the mafia who run the pattaya taxis would use all of its power to stop this from happening with all sorts of tactics. There is no free market in the transport system in pattaya so no choice. I have a lot of respect for your fight for a good metered taxi service jingthing and if one day I need one of the metered taxis and it would not use its meter I would say no but I would not slam the door as I have had more trouble with these mafia drivers in the past that its not worth getting hit with a baseball bat. :D I have never used a baht taxi in years I walk every where even to the darkside its good exercise or I use my car. If I could get a good taxi service to my house by phone or flag one down just like bangkok then I would use them when I need one but this will not happen for about another 5 or 10 years. So good luck in your quest & I hope all other farangs do the same and don't give them our custom until they use the meters.

regards

scotsman

Thank you very much Scotsman. Of course, I agree with everything you said. Of course, it is a mafia that hurts all of the public except the mafia people, and there is no defense for it whatsoever.

Perhaps if I said, shut the door FIRMLY, people wouldn't get so excited about the SLAMMING part. You are right, leaving the door open is probably more aggressive, probably too aggressive.

I agree this will take years to effect a change. For now, we do need to communicate our desire for REAL metered service, and we need to make ourselves very visible why and when we decline their service.

I also recommend explicitly asking if they have a meter and whether it works while pointing to the BIG SIGN on top of their car with the word METER. It is fun to watch them squirm a little and communicates the message, they are dirty rotten MAFIA liars and you are wise to their corruption, even more. I think it is good thing if masses of people behave in similar ways with exactly the same message. Repetition is an effective communication tool, just ask advertising professionals.

Ask them to use the meter, when they don't, SHUT THE DOOR FIRMLY and WALK AWAY

Again, open to ideas on refining the message and behavior for liar drivers. When we reach a consensus, and I think we might be there already, please lets do this en masse. They may be mafia but they do have brains and they are capable of receiving a strong, consistent, repetitive economic message. Play fair or NO FARE! Another idea, if you find a driver who will use the meter, please post his phone number so we can call him for pickup fares. And praise him! And even tip him. Lets punish the liars and reward the few good ones, if they really exist, with praise and more business!

Edited by Jingthing

Some people do not like my SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY suggestion. Fine, what is your suggestion? Accept the mafia victory and offer no flak? Not good enough. Come on, go ahead, if you can come up with something better that we as farangs can actually do, speak up please.

Until someone comes up with something better, please remember to: SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY

Perhaps you're baiting to keep this thread alive, but my suggestion is SAY: NO THANKS, THEN CLOSE THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY.

Being aggressive about it will not help the situation at all.

Some people do not like my SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY suggestion. Fine, what is your suggestion? Accept the mafia victory and offer no flak? Not good enough. Come on, go ahead, if you can come up with something better that we as farangs can actually do, speak up please.

Until someone comes up with something better, please remember to: SLAM THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY

Perhaps you're baiting to keep this thread alive, but my suggestion is SAY: NO THANKS, THEN CLOSE THE DOOR AND WALK AWAY.

Being aggressive about it will not help the situation at all.

Absolutely agree Tropo. Two wrongs do not make a right. People should refuse to use a taxi when the driver does not use the meter, it is the only way. Eventually they will get the message - hopefully.

I agree with what Jing is trying to achieve, but his methods need cooling a bit. Ranting about mafia and slamming doors will achieve nothing.

Pattaya is a different market than Bangkok. Perhaps flagfall needs to be higher. (I think it is 50 Baht in Phukett). Perhaps there should be a surcharge for going to out of the way places like east of Sukumvit.

Finally, as I have said in other threads - Bangkok taxis waiting for the return trip to Bangkok should be allowed to pick up fares on the meter. This would give a good idea of the real demand.

Can you please pay attention, folks!

Based on previous responses, I ALREADY softened my suggestion away from SLAMMING to SHUT THE DOOR FIRMLY and WALK AWAY.

So I have come around to agreeing that you don't need to SLAM. But I think you should SHUT THE DOOR, and since you want to make sure it is closed, what is wrong with a little FIRMNESS?

I can't ever go as far as to suggesst people say THANK YOU. How absurd. They are lying bait and switchers and you want to THANK them? That is weak. Do you tip scam artists? Where does this passive deference to bad behavior by Thais in Thailand end???

Another variation I thought of is to actually get in the cab (as you might in Bangkok), and nonchalantly annouce your destination. Then when they say their ridiculous non-meter fare, say use the meter. Then when they don't, GET OUT, SHUT THE DOOR FIRMLY and WALK AWAY. That extra step of actually sitting in the car and leaving dramatizes their throwing away an honest fare even more.

The idea of allowing Bangkok taxis to pick up meter fares is horrible and dumb. Bangkok drivers don't know the area. The Pattaya transport mafia would never allow it either, and would inflict violence on the Bangkok drivers.

As I have said before I have no issue with surcharges for calling a driver for pickup and for darkside to trips to East Suk and Na Jomtien. I am also open to a somewhat higher flagfall and fare structure, but I don't see the justification for going much higher than Bangkok. Maybe 15 percent.

Edited by Jingthing

I saw a man board a Pattaya taxi meter on beach road. It was a lovely sight to see. I have no idea on whether or not the meter was used.

Another suggestion: suggest to Thai people you know that the baht bus/taxi mafia is stealing jobs from local Thai people. If a strict meter policy was enforced, they could probably create 1000 new decent paying jobs for local people. Also, suggest how farangs could get all over town to spend money all over town if they have good taxi service.

We need Thai people on our side and they need to see how this helps them too. Yes, I am mostly talking about poorer Thai people as most Thais with any money here have motos and cars.

Edited by Jingthing

I can't ever go as far as to suggesst people say THANK YOU. How absurd. They are lying bait and switchers and you want to THANK them? That is weak. Do you tip scam artists? Where does this passive deference to bad behavior by Thais in Thailand end???

Go back and read my suggestion. It was "NO THANKS".

Has there been additional taxis added to the fleet here recently?

I was riding down Beach Road yesterday when I spotted a yellow and blue taxi that was actually a Pattaya taxi meter. I assumed that all the new taxis here were solid yellow.

They seem to have decided to paint them all a few weeks ago. Presumably so we cannot tell the difference between them and the Bangkok taxis so won't try to use one?

I doubt that. How do you know they are re-painted cabs and not new ones added to the fleet?

They seem to have decided to paint them all a few weeks ago. Presumably so we cannot tell the difference between them and the Bangkok taxis so won't try to use one?

I doubt that. How do you know they are re-painted cabs and not new ones added to the fleet?

"cos of the numbers on them. Number 03 used to be all yellow and now it's yellow and blue.

"cos of the numbers on them. Number 03 used to be all yellow and now it's yellow and blue.

Ok, I stand corrected. I just wouldn't have thought they would be repainting their brand new cabs so soon. The solid yellow was a great idea I thought and they stood out from most Bangkok Taxi Meters apart from the odd yellow one.

Whatever their color, they are still PHONY taxi meters putting on a big show about how they LOOK like taxi METERS, but in reality are not. Kind of like katoeys trying to pass as real women. How Pattaya, huh? Keep up the pressure, and BOYCOTT these corrupt scammers. Use the meter or sit around all day, that's the only sway we have.

The taxis already have a zoning charge placed into the fare structure. Over very short distances, the Bt35 comes into play. For a little longer, the distance covered by the Bt35 and the waiting / driving fare structure both enter the fray. For much longer distances, the per km fare is the main component and in most taxis in most cities this is actually set to decrease the km per unit cost over a said distance, thus compensating the driver for the long journey.

Also, taxi drivers have to go with the ebb and flow. Sometimes they get Bt40 for going two minutes up the street and sometimes they get Bt120 for driving 45 minutes. That is the business they are in.

Anyway, what do you think is a good salary for a taxi driver to make per month ? Lets look at some figures.

Assumptions:

Taxi hire cost is Bt500 per 24 hours or 15k per month. If he buys his own cab then it can cost nothing as he can recoup the finance payments by renting it out the 12 hours a day he is not using it.

Fuel costs are not petrol but lets say Bt15 per litre (or gas equivalent).

Maintenance is 5k per month.

So he needs 20k to cover costs and if we say 20k is a good salary for a driver, then he needs to rake in 40k per month. To make it easy, lets say fuel costs are 5k per month so you have 45k or 1.5k per day.

That is only 30 Bt50 fares, 20 Bt75 fares, 15 Bt100 fares or 10 Bt150 fares. If the average fare is Bt75 then he needs 20 fares a day over say 10 hours which is 2 per hour.

Now to drive from South Pattaya to North Pattaya takes about 10 minutes, as does the drive to Jomtien. Past Sukhumvit can take 15 minutes and Siam Country Club down to Mabprachan 30 minutes.

But, he may well get a fare on the way back !

Shock, horror, he may also get a tip !

I would not be surprised to see a cabbie working 6 days a week, picking up fares on the meter and giving cards out for personal bookings to make a net Bt40-50k per month working 6 days a week and even more if he owns his own cab.

Remember also that if he is paying for his cab, then after 5 years it will be his, free of finance so you have to add back in the residual value of the car at say Bt600,000 which is 120k per year over 5 years which equates to an extra 10k per month !!!!!!

Now even if the figures above are too generous for some here, there can be no doubt that a net income of 30k can be achieved (plus his 10k per month after 5 years) and no-one can argue that that is not a good living for a taxi driver.

terranova, a MUCH better question is what meter policies are needed to provide a REAL and POPULAR service for the people of Pattaya. Provide that, and you can easily have 1000 cars all making a good living. The current system is STEALING Thai jobs, Mafias like this always damage society, except for the mafia gang members and leaders.

Ever noticed all the moto "taxis" hanging around town. Taxi, taxi, taxi, they call out. What percentage of farang residents and tourists do you think are comfortable taking a moto as a taxi as a regular part of their transport? I would say under 10 percent, probably much lower. This shows the huge pent up demand for a REAL taxi service. One where you do not have to FIGHT with the driver. Where the driver does not say HOW MUCH YOU PAY STUPID BUFFALO? Where you get in the car JUST LIKE BANGKOK, state your destination, and the meter goes on, you pay the meter plus any DEFINED REGULATED surcharge based on outlying ZONES. Simple and easy.

And it would mean at least 1000 GOOD jobs for Thai people as well as really improve the city for EVERYONE.

The current system is KILLING the future for at least a thousand Thai workers, and also turning off most everyone who has approached these PHONY LIAR taxi NOT METERS. They not only steal from the customers, they are stealing many Thai jobs, they steal potential business from the farang and Thai ventures located outside the baht bus runs, as well as being a dark force against progress for the entire city. This same mafia controls the baht buses, baht charters, and now the taxi NOT METERS. They are too powerful, and they are an evil force.

I hate theives of ALL KINDS, and this mafia is a GANG OF THEIVES. They deserve NO RESPECT. Please boycott them, unless they BEHAVE.

Edited by Jingthing

First off....I read the past two pages "diagonally" so I might have missed some details.

Wht amazes me is that still no one was able to report from first hand experience but a flame fest assuming that the drivers do not use the meter is going on. Back to facts I would suggest...

As for the slam the door and walk away...I leave the door OPEN and walk away. That way the driver has to get out and close it :o

raro, there was a second hand report of the meters being used two times. I was told once a driver would use it when I didn't need a ride, but I didn't ask about Jomtien, he just said he would use it. Then three times I was told NO METER from Bali Hai Pier to inner Jomtien. That is all I have to report personally. I am really hoping others will post their reports. Assuming they are mostly not using their meters, which I admit is an assumption I am making not based on full evidence, I would love to hear about people following the BOYCOTT response. I would love even more to hear they are waking up and actually mostly using the meters, but at this point I would find that shocking.

I reported some weeks ago now that I did manage to get one of these new yellow taxis to come to pick me up in soi day/night and go to the Manike Pis restaurant nr Lake Mabprachan but he would not use his meter despite being asked and we had to negociate a price before leaving. I did use the taxis, it cost me 250 Baht and it was a very good journey.

I have tried several times to order a taxis again but without success, either there are none available or they do not answer the phone at all and I have never managed to get one to use their meter. I have seen them driving around Pattaya but I do not know if any of them are using their meters; it would be good to hear from someone who has managed to get them to use the meter.

I reported some weeks ago now that I did manage to get one of these new yellow taxis to come to pick me up in soi day/night and go to the Manike Pis restaurant nr Lake Mabprachan but he would not use his meter despite being asked and we had to negociate a price before leaving. I did use the taxis, it cost me 250 Baht and it was a very good journey.

I have tried several times to order a taxis again but without success, either there are none available or they do not answer the phone at all and I have never managed to get one to use their meter. I have seen them driving around Pattaya but I do not know if any of them are using their meters; it would be good to hear from someone who has managed to get them to use the meter.

Now that's an idea - especially if you live in the sticks

Call the taxi company - if you can get through and order a taxi

When he comes tell him your destination and check that he puts on the meter - if he refuses then give him the call out fee - 20 Baht and get out - now that will piss him off!!!

I agree with you it would be really great to have a PROPER taxi service with meters and perhaps a 50 Baht call out fee or something if you ring and order one; is this likely to happen?

It is unlikely to happen in the near future. It took decades to happen in Bangkok. It will not happen voluntarily. Thai and farangs, residents and tourists, will all need to do their part. This is Thailand and the only power we do have as farangs is to BOYCOTT the taxis as long as they continue with this SHAM SHOW of parading their meters and not using them. If there are farangs here with connections to influential Thais, please talk to them about how the taxi mafia is STEALING at least 1000 potentially good Thai jobs. There will always be a SMALL LIMITED market for the desperate and the tourists who don't care, for the taxi NO METERS and their rip off charter fares. However, it is obvious the market would be MUCH bigger if their were taxi cars to be found most everywhere and you could rely on them to usually use the meter. Just get it in, state your destination, on goes the meter, and off you go. Sounds so simple and obvious, but to achieve that here in Pattaya means beating a deeply entrenched and powerful MAFIA that hurts us all. Please no sympathy for this mafia. They steal our chance at a decent transport option and they steal jobs from Thai people.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 weeks later...

Korat also started a Meter Taxi service some months ago. Brand new bright and clean cars with 30Baht to start.

Was very easy to get one in the weeks after they started, the drivers were handing out nice new business cards with a call centre number as well.

Many were parked at the main bus station and very friendly.

Now hard to find this new taxi service, one or two at the bus station, not willing to do short runs and the call centre, well it just doesn't answer most of the time!

I don't think the Baht Buses would have done the damage, but as I said to the wife when they started, many of the Tuk Tuk drivers look quite upset.

Perhaps there is a Tuk Tuk Mafia in Korat?

I live in the village behind Manneken Piss and the Baht bus fare up to here is 300 Baht - for a less comfortable ride.

raro, there was a second hand report of the meters being used two times. I was told once a driver would use it when I didn't need a ride, but I didn't ask about Jomtien, he just said he would use it. Then three times I was told NO METER from Bali Hai Pier to inner Jomtien. That is all I have to report personally. I am really hoping others will post their reports. Assuming they are mostly not using their meters, which I admit is an assumption I am making not based on full evidence, I would love to hear about people following the BOYCOTT response. I would love even more to hear they are waking up and actually mostly using the meters, but at this point I would find that shocking.

I interviewed a taxi driver today and he insisted that they ALWAYS switch on the meter. I further learned that the 038... number doesn't work yet properly (as we all know...) and he gave me his card with his mobile phone number. He would come to pick you up, but switch on the meter as soon as you call him. PM me for his number if you like.

Well you guys I'm just back from Bangkok and I have had wonderful experiences of being taxied( if thats a word?) around in a taxi meter air con' cab. :D

Fare varied in terms of distance the cheapest 40 baht ..the dearest 70 baht. Not bad for 4 passengers!

Arrived back at the bus station North Pattaya to be faced with 'baht bus drivers' squeezing as many passengers on their bus as possible. We kept walking!

Flagged down a baht bus.....150 baht from 3rd road to Thappraya road.

This is the reality of what we in Pattaya experience. Its a far cry from the comfort of cabs in Bangkok. :o