Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

I reported some weeks ago now that I did manage to get one of these new yellow taxis to come to pick me up in soi day/night and go to the Manike Pis restaurant nr Lake Mabprachan but he would not use his meter despite being asked and we had to negociate a price before leaving. I did use the taxis, it cost me 250 Baht and it was a very good journey.

I have tried several times to order a taxis again but without success, either there are none available or they do not answer the phone at all and I have never managed to get one to use their meter. I have seen them driving around Pattaya but I do not know if any of them are using their meters; it would be good to hear from someone who has managed to get them to use the meter.

I live in the village behind Manneken Piss and the Baht bus fare up to here is 300 Baht - for a less comfortable ride.

raro, there was a second hand report of the meters being used two times. I was told once a driver would use it when I didn't need a ride, but I didn't ask about Jomtien, he just said he would use it. Then three times I was told NO METER from Bali Hai Pier to inner Jomtien. That is all I have to report personally. I am really hoping others will post their reports. Assuming they are mostly not using their meters, which I admit is an assumption I am making not based on full evidence, I would love to hear about people following the BOYCOTT response. I would love even more to hear they are waking up and actually mostly using the meters, but at this point I would find that shocking.

I interviewed a taxi driver today and he insisted that they ALWAYS switch on the meter. I further learned that the 038... number doesn't work yet properly (as we all know...) and he gave me his card with his mobile phone number. He would come to pick you up, but switch on the meter as soon as you call him. PM me for his number if you like.

Well I do know from experience of using these taxis that they DON'T switch on the meter even if you try and insist! (who do you believe?!) I had to negotiate a price before setting off he was adamant that he would not use the meter.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get in if they won't use the meter.

My Thai wife asks through the door or passenger side window first, if they don't agree we extend a "nice greeting" and move on to the next.

May take a few knock-backs but usually only a couple of minutes delay.

Can't speak for Pattaya, but works in Bangkok all the time.

Don't get in if they won't use the meter.

My Thai wife asks through the door or passenger side window first, if they don't agree we extend a "nice greeting" and move on to the next.

May take a few knock-backs but usually only a couple of minutes delay.

Can't speak for Pattaya, but works in Bangkok all the time.

Well, I can. We aren't there yet. Maybe never. Keep up the boycott!

raro, there was a second hand report of the meters being used two times. I was told once a driver would use it when I didn't need a ride, but I didn't ask about Jomtien, he just said he would use it. Then three times I was told NO METER from Bali Hai Pier to inner Jomtien. That is all I have to report personally. I am really hoping others will post their reports. Assuming they are mostly not using their meters, which I admit is an assumption I am making not based on full evidence, I would love to hear about people following the BOYCOTT response. I would love even more to hear they are waking up and actually mostly using the meters, but at this point I would find that shocking.

Boycott the scam metered taxis? I'm boycotting Pattaya and Jomtien altogether, even though I have a condo there! I can't deal with the baht buses and do not have (and don't want to have) a car.

I live in Bangkok and am so used to the convienience of available meter taxis everywhere. I've used taxis here for years and the only times I've had to ask a Bangkok taxi driver to use the meter is either very late at night, or in a very remote area, or when I mistakenly choose a taxi from the ranks in front of a tourist hotel. It's only happened a few times and I simply get out of the cab and find another cruising by.

But I miss the sea view and would like to visit Jomtien once in a while.

• 4 weeks later...