Making Mead Anyone?

YangYaiEric

Has anyone out there got any experience making Mead? I know its made from fermented honey, but that's about it. Here in Korat where I live, honey is extremely cheap, and I was thinking of challenging myself, as a means to occupy my spare time :o .

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Has anyone out there got any experience making Mead? I know its made from fermented honey, but that's about it. Here in Korat where I live, honey is extremely cheap, and I was thinking of challenging myself, as a means to occupy my spare time :o .

Cheers.

Three bottles of honey, four cups sugar, juice of one small pinnaple,wine yeast, water to make 20 liters.

Follow standard beermaking directions.

This was a great tasting drink in the US. My results in LOS have been less than stellar. Maybe to hot.

I have had better results in Thailand with a ginger beer.

Good Luck

Cheers.

Three bottles of honey, four cups sugar, juice of one small pinnaple,wine yeast, water to make 20 liters.

This was a great tasting drink in the US. My results in LOS have been less than stellar. Maybe to hot.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply, wallacern. I'll try your recipe and keep you posted about the results :D

Cheers Mate!

Cheers.

Good Luck

Do you have a ginger beer recipe to share?

Be very circumspect.....I used to brew wine....but was told that ALL brewing in Thailand requires a licence, even for self use.....and as a farrang, you are very vulnerable.....

If you brew your own in the privacy of your own home or apt and don't make a spectacle of it your chances of being busted are slightly greater than zero. Even if you are busted the likely fine, as for so many other 'serious' offences is probably on the order of 500 to 1000 Baht. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There are several do it yourself wine and beer places near my house so it can't be that big an issue.

Cheers.

Good Luck

I use 1/2 cup grated ginger root, three cups sugar, juice of three small limes, and a little beer yeast in six liters water.

I boil everything and add the yeast when it cools down. I use a six liter water bottle with an air lock.

The ginger beer recipes on the net vary wildly so just play around until you get a batch you like. I will start making 20 liter batches next month.

Good luck,

Mike

Wikipedia's recipe for mead:

Take of spring water what quantity you please, and make it more than blood-warm, and dissolve honey in it till 'tis strong enough to bear an egg, the breadth of a shilling; then boil it gently near an hour, taking off the scum as it rises; then put to about nine or ten gallons seven or eight large blades of mace, three nutmegs quartered, twenty cloves, three or four sticks of cinnamon, two or three roots of ginger, and a quarter of an ounce of Jamaica pepper; put these spices into the kettle to the honey and water, a whole lemon, with a sprig of sweet-briar and a sprig of rosemary; tie the briar and rosemary together, and when they have boiled a little while take them out and throw them away; but let your liquor stand on the spice in a clean earthen pot till the next day; then strain it into a vessel that is fit for it; put the spice in a bag, and hang it in the vessel, stop it, and at three months draw it into bottles. Be sure that 'tis fine when 'tis bottled; after 'tis bottled six weeks 'tis fit to drink.

:o

Take of spring water what quantity you please, and make it more than blood-warm, and dissolve honey in it till 'tis strong enough to bear an egg, the breadth of a shilling; then boil it gently near an hour, taking off the scum as it rises; then put to about nine or ten gallons seven or eight large blades of mace, three nutmegs quartered, twenty cloves, three or four sticks of cinnamon, two or three roots of ginger, and a quarter of an ounce of Jamaica pepper; put these spices into the kettle to the honey and water, a whole lemon, with a sprig of sweet-briar and a sprig of rosemary; tie the briar and rosemary together, and when they have boiled a little while take them out and throw them away; but let your liquor stand on the spice in a clean earthen pot till the next day; then strain it into a vessel that is fit for it; put the spice in a bag, and hang it in the vessel, stop it, and at three months draw it into bottles. Be sure that 'tis fine when 'tis bottled; after 'tis bottled six weeks 'tis fit to drink.

:D

Wow. Great sounding recipe SJ! Only probs. is I dont QUITE follow the instructions prescribed therin! A Modern English translation wouldn't, perchance, go amiss :o

Cheers.

Good Luck

I use 1/2 cup grated ginger root, three cups sugar, juice of three small limes, and a little beer yeast in six liters water.

I boil everything and add the yeast when it cools down. I use a six liter water bottle with an air lock.

The ginger beer recipes on the net vary wildly so just play around until you get a batch you like. I will start making 20 liter batches next month.

Good luck,

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Dear Mr Sriracha,

I have gathered all the suggested ingredients for the Wikipedia Mead except for the sprig of sweet briar and the large blades of mace.

Please mail me the price list of said sprigs and blades. Please include the shipping cost.

If you are not to far from Bangsaen perhaps I can rent a truck and pick up the sprigs and blades at your sprig and blade farm.

Please advise soonest as I am very thirsty for a bowl of this tasty sounding mead.

Your devoted servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Dear Mr Sriracha,

I have gathered all the suggested ingredients for the Wikipedia Mead except for the sprig of sweet briar and the large blades of mace.

Please mail me the price list of said sprigs and blades. Please include the shipping cost.

If you are not to far from Bangsaen perhaps I can rent a truck and pick up the sprigs and blades at your sprig and blade farm.

Please advise soonest as I am very thirsty for a bowl of this tasty sounding mead.

Your devoted servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Dear Senor Santos,

I have some good news and bad news. We would be happy to send you as many sprigs of sweet-briar

sweet_briar_small.jpg

as you like as we are well stocked with them at present. They are priced at a mere farthing per sprig, with free shipping when ordering a gross or more.

Now normally, we are also well stocked with many blades of mace

mace1.jpg

which we grow ourselves from seeds imported from Sri Lanka and is of exceptional quality, but lately there have been numerous orders for it and we find ourselves temporarily out of stock at present.

Please do not fret, though, as we have a suitable substitute mace

mace.jpg

but their price of 2 guineas each is a bit more dear than the normal mace we sell. Still, I trust if you are in dire need, you will find the substitute mace works perfectly fine. Shipping is free with every order of our substitute mace.

Thank you for your inquiry,

Mr. Sriracha

Founder and General Manager

Sprig and Blade Farm of Sriracha, Ltd.

Edited by sriracha john

Dear Mr Sriracha,

Your devoted servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Dear Senor Santos,

I have some good news and bad news. We would be happy to send you as many sprigs of sweet-briar

sweet_briar_small.jpg

as you like as we are well stocked with them at present. They are priced at a mere farthing per sprig, with free shipping when ordering a gross or more.

mace1.jpg

which we grow ourselves from seeds imported from Sri Lanka and is of exceptional quality, but lately there have been numerous orders for it and we find ourselves temporarily out of stock at present.

mace.jpg

but their price of 2 guineas each is a bit more dear than the normal mace we sell. Still, I trust if you are in dire need, you will find the substitute mace works perfectly fine. Shipping is free with every order of our substitute mace.

Mr. Sriracha

Dear Mr Sriracha,

I have been in constant negotiations with the production and accounting departments of our parent company, Ghecko Brewing Ltd.

The production department, quality assurance division, is concerned by your companies lack of international certification standard 1009. That problem can however be overlooked if you can personally certify that your Sweet Briar is the Rosa rubiginosa variety. In accordance with the generally accepted harvesting standards, the sprigs must be hand picked just before dawn by young virgin girls.

An insurmountable problem is that we must have the Indonesian variety of Mace, Myritica fragans.

Your offer of the canned substitute for mace is unacceptable to our high brewing standards. (please send two cans to my private account so I can test this product on my "handsome man" problem.)

The last accountant that understood the value of a farthing passed away in 1969. Can we perhaps transact our business with the internationally renound "satang"? As for the guinea, we have a few hens in the yard that produce a tasty egg. We can supply a dozen per fortnight.

As always it is a pleasure to deal with a company such as Sprig and Blade.

Your Humble Servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Dear Mr Sriracha,

Your devoted servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Dear Senor Santos,

sweet_briar_small.jpg

mace1.jpg

mace.jpg

Mr. Sriracha

Dear Mr Sriracha,

I have been in constant negotiations with the production and accounting departments of our parent company, Ghecko Brewing Ltd.

The production department, quality assurance division, is concerned by your companies lack of international certification standard 1009. That problem can however be overlooked if you can personally certify that your Sweet Briar is the Rosa rubiginosa variety. In accordance with the generally accepted harvesting standards, the sprigs must be hand picked just before dawn by young virgin girls.

An insurmountable problem is that we must have the Indonesian variety of Mace, Myritica fragans.

Your offer of the canned substitute for mace is unacceptable to our high brewing standards. (please send two cans to my private account so I can test this product on my "handsome man" problem.)

The last accountant that understood the value of a farthing passed away in 1969. Can we perhaps transact our business with the internationally renound "satang"? As for the guinea, we have a few hens in the yard that produce a tasty egg. We can supply a dozen per fortnight.

Your Humble Servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Señor Santos de la buena mañana,

Thank you for informing me of your parent company, Ghecko Brewing Ltd., as I know now that I am dealing with some high-rollers. They are the largest brewer on the entire Eastern Seaboard west of Phanat Nikhom, north of Bang Pra, south of Ang Sila, and east of the Gulf of Thailand. They are huge and I'm excited at the prospect of working with such a mammoth-sized and well-established corporation.

I'm a bit confused by your reference to international certification standard 1009 as according to my research that standard only applies to rolling paper manufacturing completed in Bolivia. Nevertheless, we are fully recognized by the Sweet-briar Association of Greater Sriracha as one of the premiere providers. Let me provide with a more wide-angle shot of our product to clearly show you we deal only with the Rosa rubiginosa variety:

sweeeetbriar.jpg

We have, however, had to develop a new method of harvesting as we were having trouble finding pickers in Chonburi province that were virgins. We have taken to hiring old, overweight Ukrainian males as we have found they have the same delicate touch necessary for proper picking as did the young Thai virgins. Additionally, there have been no staffing shortages as there are throngs of them not far south of our location. I trust this will more than satisfy the high demands of such an exclusive brewery as Ghecko's.

As for the mace you are seeking, I presume you are pulling my leg when you required Myritica [sic] fragans or testing me as Myristica fragrans is nutmeg and not mace. I do appreciate a good joke as much as the next man and when I shared that little spoof with my Ukrainian workers this morning, they all laughed loudly and proclaimed, "Ya, he be bery punny man. Can we go pick now more of the sweet-briar, Mister John?"

I can ship you 1 can of the substitute mace as we have had a recent run on it that depleted our supply to 1 remaining can. I have searched high and low for a substitute mace for our substitute mace and have acquired a generous supply of this mace:

mace2.jpg

I think you'll agree it will go a long way in making some excellent mead. I would, however, caution that they be safely removed and stored during any sessions that involve a high consumption of the mead as they might be mistaken for the wrong sort of mace as well as appearing somewhat lethal.

Sorry to hear about your accountant passing away thirty-eight years ago. Please pass along my condolences to his family and friends. We can indeed conduct our business in satang, or even Lao Kip, if you desire. The price for the can of mace you request, according to my business office manager's currency conversion calculations, comes to 4 bazillion, 32 quadrilillion, 4 hundred and 8 Kip or about 125 baht, which is 12,500 satang.

I'm intrigued by your offer of guinea hen eggs. I rather like the idea of enjoying a half dozen or so in a morning omelette. Can you tell me if they are from Helmeted Guinea Hens or French Guinea Hens:

GuineaHenEggs.jpg

As you can well imagine, I'd be more interested in the French because they are fatter.

Thank you for your correspondence on this manner and I await your further communication,

Mr. Sriracha

Edited by sriracha john

Dear Mr Sriracha,

Your devoted servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Dear Senor Santos,

sweet_briar_small.jpg

mace1.jpg

mace.jpg

Mr. Sriracha

Dear Mr Sriracha,

Your Humble Servant,

Miguel de los Santos

Señor Santos de la buena mañana,

Thank you for informing me of your parent company, Ghecko Brewing Ltd., as I know now that I am dealing with some high-rollers. They are the largest brewer on the entire Eastern Seaboard west of Phanat Nikhom, north of Bang Pra, south of Ang Sila, and east of the Gulf of Thailand. They are huge and I'm excited at the prospect of working with such a mammoth-sized and well-established corporation.

I'm a bit confused by your reference to international certification standard 1009 as according to my research that standard only applies to rolling paper manufacturing completed in Bolivia. Nevertheless, we are fully recognized by the Sweet-briar Association of Greater Sriracha as one of the premiere providers. Let me provide with a more wide-angle shot of our product to clearly show you we deal only with the Rosa rubiginosa variety:

sweeeetbriar.jpg

We have, however, had to develop a new method of harvesting as we were having trouble finding pickers in Chonburi province that were virgins. We have taken to hiring old, overweight Ukrainian males as we have found they have the same delicate touch necessary for proper picking as did the young Thai virgins. Additionally, there have been no staffing shortages as there are throngs of them not far south of our location. I trust this will more than satisfy the high demands of such an exclusive brewery as Ghecko's.

As for the mace you are seeking, I presume you are pulling my leg when you required Myritica [sic] fragans or testing me as Myristica fragrans is nutmeg and not mace. I do appreciate a good joke as much as the next man and when I shared that little spoof with my Ukrainian workers this morning, they all laughed loudly and proclaimed, "Ya, he be bery punny man. Can we go pick now more of the sweet-briar, Mister John?"

I can ship you 1 can of the substitute mace as we have had a recent run on it that depleted our supply to 1 remaining can. I have searched high and low for a substitute mace for our substitute mace and have acquired a generous supply of this mace:

mace2.jpg

I think you'll agree it will go a long way in making some excellent mead. I would, however, caution that they be safely removed and stored during any sessions that involve a high consumption of the mead as they might be mistaken for the wrong sort of mace as well as appearing somewhat lethal.

Sorry to hear about your accountant passing away thirty-eight years ago. Please pass along my condolences to his family and friends. We can indeed conduct our business in satang, or even Lao Kip, if you desire. The price for the can of mace you request, according to my business office manager's currency conversion calculations, comes to 4 bazillion, 32 quadrilillion, 4 hundred and 8 Kip or about 125 baht, which is 12,500 satang.

I'm intrigued by your offer of guinea hen eggs. I rather like the idea of enjoying a half dozen or so in a morning omelette. Can you tell me if they are from Helmeted Guinea Hens or French Guinea Hens:

GuineaHenEggs.jpg

As you can well imagine, I'd be more interested in the French because they are fatter.

Thank you for your correspondence on this manner and I await your further communication,

Mr. Sriracha

My Dear Mr. Sriracha,

Thank you for your kind words about the Ghecko Brewing Company. I have been associated with said company since the summer of 1970 and very proud to be the CEO since the spring of 1972 when myself and Padre Price incorporated the enterprise under the laws and accepted conglomerate rules of the Bahamas. The general terms of the incorporated divisions allowed usage of the ancient name Ghecko and also access to all company records and accounts.

Most of our current holding are in satang and that is the currency that we prefer to use in all transactions although the coffers seem to hold an unknown quantity of Lao Kip and some coins that might be Farthings or even Doubloons.

I am having great difficulty with the Wikipiedia brand mead. The evolving solar storm has disrupted communications severely between the Bangsaen office and our quality assurance division. I have tried without success using the HF radio but that is not possible considering that we are at the low point in the 12 year sunspot cycle. Quality assurance has tried to convince me that acceptable mace is in fact the outer husk of the nutmeg. What is a senditary CEO to do?

My offer of Guinea eggs seems to have been premature and I apologise for that. Yeserdays DNA testing has confirmed that the hens are if fact a long island red/foghorn leghorn cross. The eggs are generally a bit larger than the French guinea variety and a bit richer in flavour. I will be happy to provide a sample dozen if you would like to try them.

Your assessment of plump Ukranian men having a light touch seems to be in agreement with my second ex-wife who left me for a Ukrainian man by the name of Ulrich.

My dear departed Mother used to make a goulash that she claimed originated in the southeast. If it is not to much to ask, would you inquire of your Ukrainian workers if they have knowledge of a certain herb that was used as a slightly bitter seasoning in the southern style goulash? The only remaining written record that my dear departed Mother left that mentioned her famous goulash was rendered partially unreadable when a test batch of Golden Ghecko pilsner exploded and destroyed the kitchen.

After researching the Chonburi land records I noted that there might be some unused rai on the north side of the Sprig and Blade farm holdings. A well known former politician has engaged my services to study the feasibility of operating a small manufacturing facility in the area. Please advise if you are interested in leasing a very small portion of the Sprig and Blade land for a non polluting factory. I will gladly provide details in future correspondence.

Your devoted servant,

Miguel de los Santos de Buen Dia