Extension At Jomtien Immigration

hi all, just a short question. a friend of mine entered thailand 30 days ago without a visa (visa exemption) and wants to extend his stay tomorrow at jomtien immigration.

1) will he have to show an onward travel ticket in order to get his extension??? (he's got a ticket but the departure date is in may 2008, he'll have to get a proper visa anyway sooner or later.)

2) only 7 days or more possible?

might be wiser (and cheaper) anyway to make a border run to cambodia instead?

thankx!

He would only get 7 days and they WILL want to see an onward ticket taking him out of the country at the end of that 7 days.

His best option is to do a border run to Cambodia by one of the many travel agents here. Typical cost is about 2000 baht.

cheers, clear answer, told my mate to book a visarun for tuesday tomorrow. just wonder what if you don't have an onward ticket to show at immigration? no extension at all?? bad situation then as they know you're overstaying...

Without a ticket out within 30 days he is likely to run into a problem at the Cambodia border also - although it may only be a requirement to buy a 200 baht bus ticket.

Yes. I am pretty certain a 200 baht bus ticket does the job. No doubt the Visa run operator will be able to deal with that on the OP,s behalf.

Edited by stevemiddie

just rang my friend. surprisingly he's taken a morning flight to udon thani and is at the Lao border in nongkhai right now. first he said something about "go out and back in", told him it would be wiser, once he's in vientiane, to apply for a proper visa there (i got a double-entry tourist visa in vientiane myself last week). problem with my friend is he's old enough and got enough money, could have easily obtained a one-year visa or so back home. just too lazy!

BTW: think no onward travel ticket required in order to obtain the 30 days stamp at the Lao border in nongkhai yet?

... problem with my friend is he's old enough and got enough money, could have easily obtained a one-year visa or so back home. just too lazy!

If you are saying he's 50 years old (or older), and can meet the B65k/mo income and/or B800,000 savings criteria, he can convert from a 30-day visa-waiver stamp to a Non-Immigrant O visa at Jomtien Immigrations and then get a one-year retirement extension. No need to fly back home to get a one-year visa, nor do border runs to get new stamps, nor get visas at neighboring consulates/embassies.

If you are not saying he's 50 and can meet the savings/income criteria, what do you mean about "old enough and got enough money"?