On Return To Thailand, Must Check Into Immigration

I have just read TM 28 re - change of address. I moved to another rented house in August this year and so far have not notified immigration as I was going to do it on my retirement extension application next year.

Also certainly have not been to local police station, I personally doubt that they would understand it anyway, as I never informed them that I moved here in March.

So is it cough up more baht time on next visit to Suan plu

What address did you put on your last 90 day address reporting? Surely you done this since you moved. Have you left the country and put the new address on the entry form?

TH

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK ABout this 24 hour reporting

I returned yesterday from a visit to Malaysia and having read the recent posts about 24 hour reporting I went to HH immigration to check.

YES they are imposing the 24 hour reporting requirement at immigration in Hua Hin.

Whatever your visa, if you leave the country, irrespectinve of any visa you may have,
you MUST report to HH Immigration within 24 HOURS of re-entry otherwise you will be fined for not doing this.

Interestingly, after a quick trip to Bangkok aiirport (details on another post) the Immigration at Suvarnambhumi seemed bemused as to why HH Immigration was doing this but accepted that local immigration offices have the right to do so if they wish

hi all

have anyone one a tourist-visa (+ ext.) experienced this?

OK ABout this 24 hour reporting

I returned yesterday from a visit to Malaysia and having read the recent posts about 24 hour reporting I went to HH immigration to check.

YES they are imposing the 24 hour reporting requirement at immigration in Hua Hin.

Whatever your visa, if you leave the country, irrespectinve of any visa you may have,
you MUST report to HH Immigration within 24 HOURS of re-entry otherwise you will be fined for not doing this.

Interestingly, after a quick trip to Bangkok aiirport (details on another post) the Immigration at Suvarnambhumi seemed bemused as to why HH Immigration was doing this but accepted that local immigration offices have the right to do so if they wish

hi all

have anyone one a tourist-visa (+ ext.) experienced this?

I use Tourist visas to visit family on a regular basis. When I arrive I complete the arrival card with the address of the family home. My wife makes a report on TM 30 to comply with the law upon my arrival. When we travel overnight to other places I complete a form 28 and the hotel we stay at submits it for me. The hotel gives me a receipt showing I reported the change of address. When we return to our home, assuming we were gone over 24 hours,I report on a form 28 that I am now at my home address. This is similar to what my wife must do when visiting me in Korea or USA.

The above post has a quote from andy778 that I can not find in his posts - as it also mentions Korea I suspect it is from asiaexpat. Please be careful about use of quotes. I would be interested in what law in the USA requires travelers to report that address to police in 24 hours? None that I know of.

Well, it doesn't seem to apply in Samui as I was just there last week and none of the Immigration officers I dealt with said anything to me about checking in (or not as the case may be) after I returned from a visit to the US. No report form, no fine, not even a comment. Nada.

So far, all reports are from Hua Hin. Quite odd that the HH officer seemed to feel the need to fine for another province tho---ie people fined for not checking in in Bangkok.

here is the form that was given to my friend by immigration after he refused to pay the fine.

when he took it to the police they laughed and told him to take it back to immigration.

there is a tear off slip at the bottom of the form which is proof that you have registered.

It seems to another case of officialdom pulling or interpreting an obscure rule or regulation in order to top-off their bank accounts. Perfectly understandable in the context. If the silly rule is on the books...enforce it and make the station some extra money. Just another symptom of the fact that Thailand does not have an up-to-date program for retiring foreigners.

Well, it doesn't seem to apply in Samui as I was just there last week and none of the Immigration officers I dealt with said anything to me about checking in (or not as the case may be) after I returned from a visit to the US. No report form, no fine, not even a comment. Nada.

So far, all reports are from Hua Hin. Quite odd that the HH officer seemed to feel the need to fine for another province tho---ie people fined for not checking in in Bangkok.

Yes, Samui is a different fish of kettle, but, even which, I have, a work permit, if you have logged out of Thailand for a period of time, you to STILL report either to the labour office/ immagration/ officianado/ what ever sort of visa you have, just play the game and tell them where you are.

Its changing, and Samui begs to difer, but that could change, tomorrow, Monday who knows!!! :o

Ciao

I live in Pattaya holding a retirement visa. In 2007 I already left 3 times for the Philipines, everytimes with a previously obtained reentry visa. Never a problem upon return at Suvannaphumi. Never a problem at the immigration in Pattaya. If the 90 days control day was in between my stay in the phils I went to the immigration the day after my return. The 90 days were easily renewed as from that day after my return. When the 90 days period ended after my return I did nothing, just went there when the 90 days ended. Is Pattaya more foreigner friendly?

I live in Pattaya holding a retirement visa. In 2007 I already left 3 times for the Philipines, everytimes with a previously obtained reentry visa. Never a problem upon return at Suvannaphumi. Never a problem at the immigration in Pattaya. If the 90 days control day was in between my stay in the phils I went to the immigration the day after my return. The 90 days were easily renewed as from that day after my return. When the 90 days period ended after my return I did nothing, just went there when the 90 days ended. Is Pattaya more foreigner friendly?

This thread is not about 90 day address reports but the normally unenforced report to local police within 24 hours of arrival at a new address. As for 90 day address reports you do not have to report for 90 days after any return from outside Thailand. Count starts from TM.6 arrival card date.

I have a retirement visa. I am hoping to get to know this beautiful country and intend to travel to various provinces. Do I have to check in at Immigration and/or police whenever I enter a new province where I will stay for over 24 hours? If I stay at a commercial estblishment will it do the notification to Immigartion and/or police? If I accept an invitation to stay with friends in Bangkok for more than 24 hours do I really have to go sit in Immigration for half a day to tell them and then go to police to tell them?

The above post has a quote from andy778 that I can not find in his posts - as it also mentions Korea I suspect it is from asiaexpat. Please be careful about use of quotes. I would be interested in what law in the USA requires travelers to report that address to police in 24 hours? None that I know of.

Lop3.

Take a look at post #33. andy778 asked yhe question about Tourist Visas. Why my post did not show that as a quote of andy788 I am not sure. As to US law requarding non-citizen reporting of address changes I qoute USCIS "The law requires nearly all non-U.S. Citizens1 to report a change of address within 10 days of moving by completing a Form AR-11." I will look for the statute. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information as have not looked at USCIS regulations for many years and believe that applies only to those on immigrant visa entry - not those on non immigrant visas - but could be wrong. I really don't believe tourists have to report to USCIS every time they move; and that is a non immigrant visa entry.

I have a retirement visa. I am hoping to get to know this beautiful country and intend to travel to various provinces. Do I have to check in at Immigration and/or police whenever I enter a new province where I will stay for over 24 hours? If I stay at a commercial estblishment will it do the notification to Immigartion and/or police? If I accept an invitation to stay with friends in Bangkok for more than 24 hours do I really have to go sit in Immigration for half a day to tell them and then go to police to tell them?

In my opinion do not bother . I do not think there is any real control on this matter .

If it accidentally occurs , pay the fine , and play stupid , not that I think it will

occur , far from that .

Like you said it is not worth of the time to sit somewhere reporting for a rule that

is not realy enforced anyway , just enjoy your travel without worrying please :o

Thanks for the information as have not looked at USCIS regulations for many years and believe that applies only to those on immigrant visa entry - not those on non immigrant visas - but could be wrong. I really don't believe tourists have to report to USCIS every time they move; and that is a non immigrant visa entry.

You are correct if, as I read the rules, the stay is less than 30 days. Howver, the following is a quote from 8 CFR 1305.

"Each alien required to be registered under this subchapter who is within the United States shall notify the Attorney General in writing of each change of address and new address within ten days from the date of such change and furnish with such notice such additional information as the Attorney General may require by regulation." ( another section requires registration if stay is over 30 days.)

This does apply to non-immigrant as well as immigrant visa holders. Exceptions are diplomates and thier help. USCIS regulations tell what form is to be used. This can be done over the internet.

:D HOW TO DO IT?

Usual I went by my own car to Laos and used this Visa trip to enjoy the nice landscape of Thailand. had some break by afety reson in Khon Kaen or else where = take near 2 -3 days for back trip. Now it seem we have to cross the border and drive 850 km just to satisfy the Immigration! I guess our entry to Thailand is set by the entry on the border? :o

Ok lets get this straight......... If I lived in Hua Hin and popped over to another country and came back into LOS say from Malaysia in the south or Laos in the north I would then have to rush back to HH within 24hrs or get fined ??

If it's true this is obviously another tea money scam....... :o

Only upon returning into Thailand, do you have to report in. :D

:D HOW TO DO IT?

Usual I went by my own car to Laos and used this Visa trip to enjoy the nice landscape of Thailand. had some break by afety reson in Khon Kaen or else where = take near 2 -3 days for back trip. Now it seem we have to cross the border and drive 850 km just to satisfy the Immigration! I guess our entry to Thailand is set by the entry on the border? :D

What?

any chance of maybe clarifying the post? :o

Regarding ' new rules ' , what about having to give immigration a photocopy of the front AND back of a current ATM or credit card -- just how gullible do they think we foreigners are ? Armed with the 16 digit number from the front of the card, and the 3 digit security code from the back of your card, anyone can go on a shopping spree. I showed the article to my bank manager, and he was horrified and said he would visit the boss at Pattaya Immigration to clarify matters.

Regarding the 1200 baht you paid, here in Pattaya, if you want a residents document to buy a vehicle or similar, it depends on which way the wind is blowing. One way and you pay 200 baht, the other way and it's 400 baht but the document is produced by the same lady.

Welcome to Thailand.

i have just spoken to another couple i know who have just returned from hua hin immigration , they needed a letter in order to renew their driving licence.

they arrived in hua hin yesterday after spending a week in bangkok . previous to that they were in the uk for 6 months.

they were asked how long they had been in hua hin , they said less than one day.

where were you before they asked.

they replied they had been in bangkok for a week.

they were asked if they had reported to bangkok immigration and they said no , they came through the airport and were stamped in by immigration there.

they are on 3 month non-imm visas.

they were still fined 800b each for not reporting to immigration in bangkok within 24 hours of arrival in bangkok.

it seems like a nasty little shakedown is being operated by hua hin immigration office. it is a worrying development.

with no effective government in office it seems that civil servants can get away with anything.

does this mean that even after passing through immigration at the airport , visitors now have to spend a morning at immigration notifying them of their presence in the town.

perhaps this topic should be moved to the visa forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this for real or what i have just asked the wife to phone up for a letter of proof of address, and they also said fine 1000 baht for not reporting in within 24 hours, now i can understand this if you are on a visa where you have to report your address every 90 days at immigration, and thus you are late reporting it ! But i have to do a border run every 90 days on a non imm o! :o

What do you need to report in within 24 hours ? might go there and report in and then ask for the letter!

There seems to be two kinds of 24 hour reports to do. One is apparently enforced only (?) in Hua Hin and requires the foreigner to report that he's arrived from abroad. The other is a enforced once in a while throughout the whole country and requires the HOST to report that she has a foreigner under her roofs.

Your problem is probably of the latter kind ... I know a guy whose GF from somewhere in Isaan (forgot which city) was fined 1000 Baht for the missing report, when the guy needed a letter of residency. Maybe you could save the fine if your GF went down to report that you arrived yesterday without any mentioning of anything else (if in Chiang Mai the reporting would mean to fill out a form made for the purpose)... A few days later you go and ask for your letter.

Edited by Cyberstar