Thousands Of Baht In Coins

I have thousands of baht in several money boxes that I have collected over the last 2 years and want to bank/spend them. The bank charges 3% to count them? Typical Thai bank. My colleague told me that any BTS station will happily exchange them for notes. Anybody found a good place to get rid of them as I can't stand the thought of the bank that gives me crap interest on my savings account ripping me off again.

I have always heard that 7-11 is happy to take them in bulk for use as change. Personally, I always keep an empty 1 litre water bottle that I fill with all my loose change coins (less than B5). When they are full, I give them to charity. Have always been curious as to what they total too...I estimate maybe up to a couple thousand baht.

Once a parking lot attendant pissed me off and I paid him the B20 in satang coins and boy was he upset. I said that's all I had (a lie) and that they were "ghung Thai" so to stop complaining :o

Take them to a supermarket. They need change and are happy to change for you

Try Tops Supermarket. In Pattaya, for example, they are desperate for satang coins, so I guess they would take other small change too.

Edited by 7

I had the same subject on the Chiang Mai forum as I have the same mountain of coins in Chiang Mai, and I still have them.

Surely there must be a bank with a coin counting machine.

The only thing I could come up with was maybe take them to the 7-11.

But I would like to get rid of them in one go and there are an awful lot of them.

Just pay with the coins, they are legal tender.
Have you tried simply making a deposit with'em?

we did and got charged by the bank :o

same here... which I suppose makes them technically 98% legal tender... or some such figure.

I refused and ended up changing half of them with the fruit market lady for 100% legal tender... and she actually trusted me that my count was accurate and exchanged them to cash straight away.

More trust from the fruit market lady than my own bank who wouldn't process the deposit unless I waited while they counted AND charged me a fee.... :D oh well.

oh yes, the other half I dropped several at a time at a tin collection box at the local Wat.....

ting, ting, ting....

ting, ting, ting, ting, ting........

ting, ting...

ting, ting, ting.............

ting, ting, ting, ting, ting.........

The young novice monks had a fun watching and the abbot thanked us.

Edited by sriracha john

I have thousands of baht in several money boxes that I have collected over the last 2 years and want to bank/spend them. The bank charges 3% to count them? Typical Thai bank. My colleague told me that any BTS station will happily exchange them for notes. Anybody found a good place to get rid of them as I can't stand the thought of the bank that gives me crap interest on my savings account ripping me off again.

We put all our coins in our daughter and nephews money boxes then once a year we count it all up and put it in their bank accounts. It can be anything up to 10k baht and we've never been charged by the bank for depositing it.

So if 3% is too much to pay open up a childs account and put it in there :o:D

We had the same problem...paid for our daily meal at the noodle shop...he was very pleased to get coins...also changed 100Baht each day with him. solved