Bringing A Baby On A Plane

garro

Hi, we are taking our three month old on his first visit to the Ireland at the end of the month.

I have never flown with a baby before so I have no idea what to expect.

My wife has stopped breast feeding and we are now using bottle feeds.

Are we allowed to take these on the plane already mixed.

If not what do we need to do?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance

we had no problem from SUV but to go off topic for a second...shouldn't you be taking the water & milk powder separate? Milk cannot be made up in advance unless refridgerated AFAIK due to the risk of bacteria forming in the milk.

But even from Heathrow or UK aiports, they just ask you to taste the water to ensure it isn't liquid explosives or something! :o I posted in that thread that I just filled the bottles with boiled water then added the powder as & when needed & no one asked me to test it on the thai side but when travelling from UK I put the water in a large flask & then just had to test the water in that ratehr than drink from all the bottles at heathrow security.

we had no problem from SUV but to go off topic for a second...shouldn't you be taking the water & milk powder separate? Milk cannot be made up in advance unless refridgerated AFAIK due to the risk of bacteria forming in the milk.

But even from Heathrow or UK aiports, they just ask you to taste the water to ensure it isn't liquid explosives or something! :o I posted in that thread that I just filled the bottles with boiled water then added the powder as & when needed & no one asked me to test it on the thai side but when travelling from UK I put the water in a large flask & then just had to test the water in that ratehr than drink from all the bottles at heathrow security.

Thanks again Boo. We were hoping to make up some feed in the airport before we enter the gate area. I know that there can sometimes be a wait there. If we are allowed to bring a flask of hot water through to the waiting area, well that would be even better.

I found the flask invaluble, my lo will drink a cold bottle but settles & feed better with a warm one.

Oh & if you saw my other thead about aptamil, make sure that any baby milk you travel with has the foil seal peirced or removed as we had 4 canisters of UK milk exploded over all our stuff due to decompresison on the plane.. D'oh! :o

Ive just come back from a trip to the Uk and we took both bottles of milk aswell as bottles of Hot water. Leaving thailand there was no problem, leaving Heathrow I was asked to taste all of the bottles, yum yum. There wasnt really much of a need for the hot water as the flight attendance would make up the bottles for them when we asked.

Like already mentioned be careful of milk and flasks exploding and leaking on the plane. I took the mild and water separate, the milk was ok but the water was in a flask. I was told that I had to put it in the overhead bin for take off. But I guess the air pressure damaged the flask somehow. The poor man sitting below the bin got covered in water as it leaked out, and had to sit there with it dripping on his head as we were in the process of taking off so he couldn't move out his seat. I felt bad, but they did tell me to store it in the bin. So only half my fault. The cabin crew then had to provide the water for me, which was ok but be warned it is steaming hot and takes awhile to cool down.

Just travelled from LHW, did not have to even taste the hot water from the flask, fortunately, however they did have a device that they just swept over it.

Apparently it picks up any explosive residue.

We did ask at check-in and they said we would most likely have to taste it though, but this never happened.

Moss

You know the sensation you get in your ears during climb to cruising level, a "squeeze". Easy for us adults to deal with but can actually be quite painful for young children as they don't know how to equalise the pressure. When the wife and I travel with our young daughter we always pack quite a few sweet lollies for her to suck on, works a treat. Usually end up handing a few out to other parents too for their kids. Usually have a strawberry one myself :o

First time, I remember my son didn't settle in the sky cot - it was right under the movie screen - so the first journey was a bit of a nightmare. Another time I placed him on the floor to sleep in a blanket - he was about two and we had the bulk head (?) seats and he was fine. At about 2 and a half he chatted so much to the people behind us that they offered to take him over the back of the chair to sit with them a while!!!When he was about three he ran up and down the aisle all night and talked to everyone - no sleep for either of us. Then at 5 years old I got him a seat obviously and he slept half on my lap and half in his seat so I got no rest at all !!! At 11 he laid his head on my shoulder... no sleep for mummy again but it wasn't half cute :D

One of the worst thing though (and I don't know if it's improved) was changing nappies on my lap while sitting on the airplane toilet :o

After reading your posts I am starting to get more worried about this upcoming flight.

I suffer badly with my ears during flights, so I hope it is not passed on to him.

Can we feed him his bottle during take-off?

He can enjoy a good cry now and again.

I hope that he doesn't do this too much.

I would be very embarrassed.

Garro, You should def give your baby a bottle on take off & landing, either a bottle of milk or water or else a dummy. I wouldn't worry too much though about the crying, unless he is one that cries for many hours in a day then to him, life should be no different on the plane. Babies are very basic creature & IMO if you keep the normal routine for feeding & sleeping whilst travelling then your baby shouldn't know that anything is different. We kept the exact feeding & sleeping schedule for my son & he was none the wiser. As for being worried about other people, well sorry, but your baby should always be your only concern, forget the other people on the plane & do what you need to to sooth your baby.

Seonai, things have changed quite a bit from when your son was a baby, the toilets have changing tables that drop down over the toilet seat but I changed the boy in his sky cot.

Just make sure you book the skycot & pack everything you think you might need for the flight & then a bit more. Being prepared wil save you any tricky situations.

Garro, You should def give your baby a bottle on take off & landing, either a bottle of milk or water or else a dummy. I wouldn't worry too much though about the crying, unless he is one that cries for many hours in a day then to him, life should be no different on the plane. Babies are very basic creature & IMO if you keep the normal routine for feeding & sleeping whilst travelling then your baby shouldn't know that anything is different. We kept the exact feeding & sleeping schedule for my son & he was none the wiser. As for being worried about other people, well sorry, but your baby should always be your only concern, forget the other people on the plane & do what you need to to sooth your baby.

Seonai, things have changed quite a bit from when your son was a baby, the toilets have changing tables that drop down over the toilet seat but I changed the boy in his sky cot.

Just make sure you book the skycot & pack everything you think you might need for the flight & then a bit more. Being prepared wil save you any tricky situations.

Thanks boo, I have just contacted Turkish airways about the sky cot.

Don't worry too much ! At 3 months he will sleep for most of the time, and unless you are very unlucky the cabin crew will go out of their way to help - we have twins and have flown with the together 6 times and I have flown with one of them by myself 4 times (I'm the dad, by the way). Up to about 9 months it was pretty easy, with or without the bassinet/sky cot.

Garro,

As the above poster said the child will sleep most of the way i know our daughter did and she flew for the first time at a similar age.I think its good taking a baby on a plane as it gets them used to this mode of travel at a young age and thus hopefully never developing any phobias.Relax mate it will be fine!

I don't particularly want to worry you too much Garro, but there is a chance, that he just might not sleep through the flight, if you suffer from ear problems, just think what the little one may go through, he just doesn't understand what is going on.

We just did a short haul to Italy and he didn't cry but roared through the first half of the flight, with me, after a 15 minute roar-a-fest starting walking him up the aisle, just so I could upset all of the passengers :o but as the guys above state he is your priority, not the comfort of the other people on board.

After hitting a bit of turbulence, I was doing a jig and a reel and at one point broke into the, 'Siege of Ennis', down the aisle, but nothing on Earth was going to make me sit down and possibly wake him up, when he went off eventually, I got a round of applause from the rest of the passengers :D

We are doing the trip to Thailand in early December when he will be 6 months but hopefully things will be better, or they both might just sleep through.

Good Luck

Moss

Just to add, at the airport i had to taste our sons milk from his bottle felt a bit of pratt but no choice. The best advice re; small kids on planes is don't do it, leave him/her with a family member at home. Thats what we are doing this time, nightmare last time, screamed himself to sleep..never again at leat untilhe's 5/6 years.

You know the sensation you get in your ears during climb to cruising level, a "squeeze".

Actually, "squeeze" generally refers to the increase of pressure during the descent, squeezing/compressing any air spaces in the head, like ears or sinuses. Not to say that it doesn't hurt just as much when air can't get out of those places on the way up and pressure is decreasing.

After reading your posts I am starting to get more worried about this upcoming flight.

I suffer badly with my ears during flights, so I hope it is not passed on to him.

Try this: Valsalva maneuver

This is one way that scuba divers equalize pressure when descending.

Just to add, at the airport i had to taste our sons milk from his bottle felt a bit of pratt but no choice. The best advice re; small kids on planes is don't do it, leave him/her with a family member at home. Thats what we are doing this time, nightmare last time, screamed himself to sleep..never again at leat untilhe's 5/6 years.

This is also how I feel, now our twins are 13 months. The last journey from Hong Kong was a nightmare and our boy screemed for a lot of the flight because he was not tired and did not want to sit on my lap during take off - and with several bouts of turbulence when we had to take our seats, he became quite upset several times. Unfortunately with business and family in Hong Kong, home and family in Thailand and more family in the UK we have to travel frequently. 2-3 hours HK<->thailand I can cope with, but 13 hours each way to London next summer I am not looking forward to at all :o

Thanks for all the replies.

One more question.

My boy is addicted to loud music.

It seems to be the best thing to settle him these days; along with being held by his dad :o

I was thinking of possibly using headphones during the trip.

Not too noisy, just enough to distract him.

I would buy a pair of the ones that don't go inside the ear.

Would this be OK for a three month old baby?

I will also trawl the internet, but thought I would check here first.

Edited by garro

We put a little whisky in the baby's milk - never had any problem at all. You can also buy some liquid from the chemists that contains alcohol and is very good for making them sleep. Some people swear by opium but it's not acceptable in this culture.

We put a little whisky in the baby's milk - never had any problem at all. You can also buy some liquid from the chemists that contains alcohol and is very good for making them sleep. Some people swear by opium but it's not acceptable in this culture.

Interesting sense of humour, but not very helpful :o

If he is anyting like me, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to give him any alcohol.

I don't want him banned from the air at only four months old :o

Hi. Flying with BA this week. I phonened and requested a skycot for our son, which was noted but can't be guaranteed, and bulkhead seats are not bookable in advance. So really all we can do is sit, wait and hope that not all good seats will be taken up by Australian parents (flight is coming in from Sydney). I was wondering if anyone knows the following: Are you able to chose bulkhead seats during BA family online check-in? Or will it simply be a matter of being at the airport as early as possible and hoping for the best?

Hi Garro and TanjaB

That sucks about BA - and reminds me of the time my wife and I flew Thai AirAsia BKK-Khon Kaen (think no longer flying that route) and they assured us 'pre-boarding' with our two infants - only to learn pre-boarding meant first on the BUS! Then of course, doors open, and EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF up the stairs - some hi-so Thai who had the 'Senator's' seat told me to move on when I was complaining to the flight attendant - This General Long-last-name didn't know how close he came to fewer teeth since I was holding my baby daughter in my arms at the time of his little-swinging-dick moment - NEVER, EVER pick an argument with a man holding his small child....(a guy in England on a train was seriously beaten for telling some guy 'to shut the little brat up' - and daddy walked away a free man! Of course not here..anyway I digress)

Anyway, take the powder and the bottles and ask the flight attendents to help. They're used to this. Also bring plastic bags for vomit (sorry but it's a reality). And be ready to use them...or suffer the consequences on a long flight!!

Aside from that - Hey, enjoy - it's great - just close your eyes to the irritants and you'll really enjoy the experience of taking the little one back to your homeland. It's priceless!

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry Boo but I have to disagree with you, as a father of a baby I would always put my baby first but being stuck on a plane with a screaming baby is no fun and you shouldn't just dismiss it and tell people to accept it, why should they? Before I became a dad I had all these opinions that everybody told me would change when I had kids, I'm happy to say that they haven't changed. Just because you have a baby doesn't mean the world revolves around you.

I think you misread or misunderstood my post, I said

As for being worried about other people, well sorry, but your baby should always be your only concern, forget the other people on the plane & do what you need to to sooth your baby.

I meant by this that if you are getting stressed over what others are thinking your baby will also get more stressed, you should do what you need to sooth your baby. That is the main priority, when a child is distressed then it is the duty as their parent to do what you can to calm them & make them feel safe, if this so happens on a plane then IMO what others are thinking of you means nothing & should not be a concern. Nowhere have i said that having a baby means the world revolves around me but it certainly doesn't revolve anywhere near strangers on a plane (or anywhere else for that matter) if my child is upset :o

I think you misread or misunderstood my post, I said
As for being worried about other people, well sorry, but your baby should always be your only concern, forget the other people on the plane & do what you need to to sooth your baby.

I meant by this that if you are getting stressed over what others are thinking your baby will also get more stressed, you should do what you need to sooth your baby. That is the main priority, when a child is distressed then it is the duty as their parent to do what you can to calm them & make them feel safe, if this so happens on a plane then IMO what others are thinking of you means nothing & should not be a concern. Nowhere have i said that having a baby means the world revolves around me but it certainly doesn't revolve anywhere near strangers on a plane (or anywhere else for that matter) if my child is upset :o

Boo, maybe I misunderstood what you meant and if I did then I am sorry, what I meant was that as a parent you have to sooth and calm your baby but too many times I've seen parents just make a half hearted attempt in the belief that because their baby is crying or having a tantrum then people around them should just accept it and put up with it. I've seen both sides of the coin, I've been on a plane close to a screaming baby and I was on a plane with my nephew who had a bad reaction to flying for the first time and while my sister did her best to sooth my nephew, including walking up and down the plane for 2 hours, she was also aware of people getting annoyed because of the baby crying.