You Can Open A Bank Account

I'll clear up the bank account info for you thru what happened to me. Went to SCB with 1 million baht and asked to open bank account, was told cannot even though I already ha d a Bangkok Bank account . I walked down the road to Kasikorn and they said no problem and I opened it on a tourist visa. Later I called SCB helpline and asked them if I could open a bank account to try and understand why the branch had turned me down earlier, they told me "yes" I could open an account no WP needed and could even do it on a tourist visa. Then I told them I had been refused by their Seacon Square branch, they said it was entirely up to the manager of each branch!!!!!!

So the bank has rules but its up to each manager if they want to follow them or not, even when you wave 1 million baht at them. I must say Kasikorn jumped quite high when the 1 mill appeared!!!

Yes, I've had the same problem. Walked into Kasikorn and opened an account by just displaying my passport.

Tried to open a joint account (Thai wife) at the Krung Thai and they put every obstacle in the way. Need WP, display WP .... need letter from Immigration, display letter ... ummm, prove pay Thai Tax, display last year's tax receipts.... ummm ummm, we will think about it. Eventually after a bit of complaint by wife they agreed to let us open an account. During the application when asked for my name etc I just gave them my Thai driver licence to copy the details. Much to my astonishment the bank person exclaimed surprise and told me 'why did you not show that in the beginning and save bank all that time!!! Seems that a Thai driver licence is almost as good as a Thai ID,as it means that you have already been accepted/identified by the Thai Government..... :o

Yes, I've had the same problem. Walked into Kasikorn and opened an account by just displaying my passport.

Tried to open a joint account (Thai wife) at the Krung Thai and they put every obstacle in the way. Need WP, display WP .... need letter from Immigration, display letter ... ummm, prove pay Thai Tax, display last year's tax receipts.... ummm ummm, we will think about it. Eventually after a bit of complaint by wife they agreed to let us open an account. During the application when asked for my name etc I just gave them my Thai driver licence to copy the details. Much to my astonishment the bank person exclaimed surprise and told me 'why did you not show that in the beginning and save bank all that time!!! Seems that a Thai driver licence is almost as good as a Thai ID,as it means that you have already been accepted/identified by the Thai Government..... :o

You said it, LivinginKata, the idea is that you are known by the Government.

And please do not forget that Krung Thai Bank is the bank where most public servants have their account!

Besides that, our friend. a bank manager of KTB, tells me that officially KTB is not allowed to give you interest when you are not known by the Government, and that is considered a loss of face for the Bank. Savvy?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revisit this again but just back from Bangkok where I attempted to open a bank account on a tourist visa with 4 banks at their head/main offices.

Bangkok Bank, Siam Commercial and Bank of Ayudhya…

All required a work permit. I even tried the magic phone number provided by another poster for Bangkok Bank.

Yes HSBC would open an account but appeared to attach a rather large suction pump to the funds in the account for nothing much in return (apart from reading 2 pages of charges and draconian conditions )

In each case I did show my contract for a 14.5m condo and advised I needed to pay local utility bills. OK I can make my final transfer to the developer in sterling but can I pay local bills from a UK account by direct debit?

NB OK Bangkok Bank did have an account with no ATM, no internet access, no interest, no cheque book, you could pay money in but it probably only supported direct debits and could not realistically be monitored.

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong or have things just tightened up recently?

Are you wearing a gym vest to show the manager your tattoos? I walked into 3 banks and all of them said straight away I could open an account with my passport and at least a 90 day visa. I opted for Kasikorn as they offered me a Visa debit card.

How long ago was that, for me less than two weeks. Dressed smartly :o

If you are asking for a current account (checkbook) no bank is going to provide that - a passbook savings account is what you need. Can't the developer accompany you to the bank and help you open an account? Banks do like to have a reference, just like any other bank. We still seem to have positive and negative reports being posted so don't believe there is a total lockout.

If you are asking for a current account (checkbook) no bank is going to provide that - a passbook savings account is what you need. Can't the developer accompany you to the bank and help you open an account? Banks do like to have a reference, just like any other bank. We still seem to have positive and negative reports being posted so don't believe there is a total lockout.

Thanks guys - I am back in Bangkok in the next few week.

Will explicity state passbook saving account, see If I can get the developer to assit/accompany and obviously be professional/smile etc. Will let you know what happens (I am below retirement age, do not work in Thailand, so Tourist Visa only)

Will report back on what happens - Thanks for the thoughts.

Edited by pkrv

Are you wearing a gym vest to show the manager your tattoos? I walked into 3 banks and all of them said straight away I could open an account with my passport and at least a 90 day visa. I opted for Kasikorn as they offered me a Visa debit card.

This was a few weeks back. Why are you going into the head office? Why not just your local branch? I'm sure they'll be happy to help you there. At SCB I was explicitly told I needed at least a 90 day visa (which I have).

Edited by edwardandtubs

This was a few weeks back. Why are you going into the head office? Why not just your local branch? I'm sure they'll be happy to help you there. At SCB I was explicitly told I needed at least a 90 day visa (which I have).

OK first (serious attempt) stop was Bangkok Banks’ branch on Silom road, at the Lumphini end. I was told to go to the head office near soi 3 - but realistically HSBC etc were a stone’s throw away from the serviced apartments I was staying in. With Bangkok Bank there was a language barrier on my initial enquiry at the Central World shopping centre so maybe a reference letter from the developer in Thai would help a lot.

I also tried opening an account from the London branch of Bangkok Branch but they are there really as a correspondent bank for trade nothing else.

Will try again.

I would not try the mini branch places (shopping centers) as they probably do not have a manager able to approve - the stand alone branches with large signs on there roofs are where you should try.

Agreed it was a case of dipping my toe in the water to see what would happen. I concluded/would have thought that the main/head office branches would have been more on the ball with the products they can offer to some one like me with a tourist visa.

A part of the reason for using the main offices was to ensure the best shot at understanding of requirements and a good command of English (Sorry I do not yet speak Thai and do not have a Thai partner/friend etc who can help me).

Is it sensible to go to the Head office or is this just silly?

If I fail a second time I need a contingency! Can I pay thai bills from a UK account by direct debit?

I would not try the mini branch places (shopping centers) as they probably do not have a manager able to approve - the stand alone branches with large signs on there roofs are where you should try.

Agreed it was a case of dipping my toe in the water to see what would happen. I concluded/would have thought that the main/head office branches would have been more on the ball with the products they can offer to some one like me with a tourist visa.

A part of the reason for using the main offices was to ensure the best shot at understanding of requirements and a good command of English (Sorry I do not yet speak Thai and do not have a Thai partner/friend etc who can help me).

If I fail a second time I need a contingency! Can I pay thai bills from a UK account by direct debit?

For goodness sake, opening a bank account in Thailand is just not that difficult and if you fail at your first attempt, for whatever reason, simply go to another branch/bank.

For goodness sake, opening a bank account in Thailand is just not that difficult and if you fail at your first attempt, for whatever reason, simply go to another branch/bank.

I Agree opened two savings accounts in chiang mai in june ,all we needed was passports (Kasikorn bank)

I had no problem opening an account at SCB subbranch on Silom. I was dressed smartly and presented a referal letter from my bank manager at home in the US. It stated "to whom it may concern, etc", said that I had been a steady customer for umpty years with a good balance. The manager hadn't actually signed the letter, which the SCB manager mentioned, but opened the account with no problem.

Plenty of stupid banks/ bank managers in Thailand.

Banks that refuse money, (what a bunch of silly fools)

Go to the Kasikorn bank with your passport.

Your be all done in about twenty minutes.

Dress any way you like.

TIT.

Just to repeat what I wrote here earlier, it took me many many tries at not only the the same bank but branch locations until someone finally let me open an account on a tourist visa ( no ATM and NO interst on money in savings). My advice - even though you can quoute them on the law that says farang are allowed to open accounts - if they say no , give up and move on to the next bank and try again tomorrow if needed. Persistance is all that is needed though it is frustrating ( and , wow , they make interest off YOUR money so why make it so difficult!!!).

Opinion here: stay away from Krung Thai unless only option.

I opened up a account at Bangkok Bank , Got A debit Card. Had tryed 3 times and was told no.

I wanted Bangkok bank as they have a office in New Your and money transfer would not be internationl. Is local cost less to tranfer. Any way I had my local banker In the US sent them a wire as I was a long time client, They told me they never got it. So i pulled a copy out of my pocket , gave it to them , they asked it they could keep the copy and opened the account for me ,Debit card and all, The card has a 10 year from now date on it,

even when you wave 1 million baht at them. I must say Kasikorn jumped quite high when the 1 mill appeared!!!

If you're waving money in their faces, literally or metaphorically, and expect them to jump, it's easy to understand why they didn't want to be bothered with you. I'm more and more convinced that most Thais have the ability to spot a farang-in-your-face attitude from a mile off. They probably figure that in the long run you'd be a pain in the derriere that they wouldn't want to deal with.

You might think 1 million baht makes you Diamond Jim, but I doubt even a lowly clerk would be that impressed.

even when you wave 1 million baht at them. I must say Kasikorn jumped quite high when the 1 mill appeared!!!

If you're waving money in their faces, literally or metaphorically, and expect them to jump, it's easy to understand why they didn't want to be bothered with you. I'm more and more convinced that most Thais have the ability to spot a farang-in-your-face attitude from a mile off. They probably figure that in the long run you'd be a pain in the derriere that they wouldn't want to deal with.

You might think 1 million baht makes you Diamond Jim, but I doubt even a lowly clerk would be that impressed.

I went through this about 7 months ago with a bag of literally 500,000 baht and it took me at LEAST 5-10 tries to get an account open on a tourist visa. Some different branches of the same bank.... I finally got one, but I had with me supporting socumrnation from Thai gov't literature saying farang can have bank account but they still said no. I was dressed "smartly" and sober and had a bag full of money. When someone finally said yes I got all sorts of conditions on the account but being from USA I needed to not have ATM service charges/baht-> US dollar fluctuation / etc etc to have to worry about. We read here about the visa issues but the baking issues are quite similar - day to day , who gets your case, their mood .....

I am a retiree of many years in Thailand with a Bangkok Bank savings account and ATM card. Because of all the confusion this past year about whether my wife can stay a "dependent" or not or whether she has to become a "retiree" on her own right, I decided it was time for her to get her own bank account "just in case". When we went to the bank to do this a few days ago, the Bangkok bank branch's only requirement was that a Thai person fill out and sign a "Rup Rong" guarantee form for her. When I pointed out that I had been with them many years and this is my wife and couldn't I "Rup Rong" for her, they agreed to that. So, for "Retiree" class it seems easy enough to open a savings bank account with Bangkok Bank (as long a some Thai individual will "guarantee" for you.)

One change has been that new accounts can only get a debit card, which will not let them set up to transfer funds via the internet like the older "Bualuang" card would allow. Guess someone is worried about money laundering issues?

Edited by mojaco

Hi folks

I walked into Hua Hin branch Bank of Bangkok earlier this year with my g/f opened an account + got ATM card on tourist visa, only requirment was an address in Thailand, which she provided. In all it took about 15mins. :o:D

Regards jb1

Hi all,

I opened a savings account at the Emporium Bangkok Bank branch this morning with my non-imm O visa and my Pattaya BKK Bank book. Certainly no work permit requirement here. The only snag was the nice lady wanted to charge me 18200 Baht commission to transfer The balance of my Pattaya account to my new one. :o I politely pointed out that they were both Bangkok Bank accounts so why was there a commission charge? She said it was an inter-provincial transfer and therefore subject to commission charges.

I declined the offer. :D

SL.

• 4 weeks later...

On my return trip to Bangkok I did finally manage to successfully open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account on a tourist visa at Bangkok Bank's head office near Soi 3 Silom Road. As promised here are the steps necessary to do this. (Note I can save you some time if you are a British Passport holder).

You will need the following:

1) Time! - Assign two half days to the task.

2) Proof of address – I used my blue book and property (condominium) registration documents.

3) A letter from your embassy a.) Certifying your passport, b.)Provide proof of address in Thailand, and c.) no record to your detriment has been logged with the embassy. A link to an example of the letter for British passport holders provided by Bangkok Bank is here: (but none the less gives a general overview of what is required).

LINK to example letter is at end of post...

4) Money (or credit/debit card) to pay the fee for the required letter. This was 2,448 THB (per letter) at the British Embassy

For a British passport Holder:

Step 1 - Simply download the sample letter print it out and take it to the British Embassy (whose address is shown on the sample letter) along with the other documentation (take everything!). Here is a link for the opening times:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714376732

Step 2 – Ask for the passport (and notarisation) section. You need to go up the stairs on the left just after the entrance door that you are shown to.

Step 3- Take a queuing ticket by pressing the top button – take your seat and wait to be called. This could be 1-2 hours.

Step 4 – Present the sample letter, documentation etc and explain what you need. You will be asked to return the next day to pick up the letter.

Step 5 – Return to the same department the next MORNING but this time press the second button on the queuing system as there is a dedicated pick up counter operating in the mornings only. This is a quicker process (if you get it right).

Process continued below….

Non British Passport holder

To get a sample letter from Bangkok Bank for your particular embassy, go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the left at the back of the room). Once you have your example letter you can go to your embassy. BTW It is very possible someone at Bangkok Bank may simply just offer a helping hand if you look unsure.

Generic steps at Bangkok Bank

1) Return/Go to Bangkok Bank head office fully armed with all documentation, 500 THB opening credit deposit and 600 THB for an international cash point card and separate debit card.

2) At Bangkok Bank's head office go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the left at the back of the room). After that just be polite and courteous and you will get a passbook cash and debit card BUT sadly no internet banking. This is pretty much the only account you can open on a tourist visa but it does help when it comes to paying local utility bills by direct debit.

NOTES:

I did ask Hemaraj a .SETI 100 listed company to see if they could help. Much to their embarrassment they could not assist in making the process any simpler. They kindly provided a letter stating I was a good client and could the bank assist, but how much this helped I don't know.

YOU MUST have the letter from your embassy FULL STOP.

IRRITATINGLY Bangkok Bank will keep the original, a copy is not enough. I did not know this at the time but consider the embassy letter to be a useful document in its own right. Just a thought but it may be prudent to ask for several copies to be produced by your Embassy as this may save time in the future.

Sorry I can't help with other banks or other Bangkok Bank account branches.

PKRV.

post-16669-1199080436_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199081367_thumb.jpg

Edited by pkrv

I was told by bangkok Bank Sukumvit last month that I could not open an account without a WP. I have one so it was no big deal..but I am sure there was no way they would open with merely a passport.

Same experience with me and the TMB. When I pointed out that the WP is valid for 1 year and asked them what they do with the account when the WP has expired got no answer.