Chang-puak/super-highway Intersection

Ricardo

Rolling past Tesco along the Super-Highway at lunch-time, something seemed different, then came the realisation ... the new underpass at the Chang-Puak intersection is finally open to traffic !

How long has it been -- 4 years ? 5 years ??

Definitely one for the history-books, anyway.

I've been through the new intersection and the underpass a few times now. The underpass is very nice and certainly relieves congestion. The intersection on the other hand has a few issues. I don't think they've got their signal timing down yet, as lines are blocks long at red lights. Also be very careful crossing on a yellow light. You've got a lot of ground to cover to get to the other side.

I've been through the new intersection and the underpass a few times now. The underpass is very nice and certainly relieves congestion. The intersection on the other hand has a few issues. I don't think they've got their signal timing down yet, as lines are blocks long at red lights. Also be very careful crossing on a yellow light. You've got a lot of ground to cover to get to the other side.

I have a friend who has his house just two streets back on the RHS before the intersecton on the way out of town. I think he will be able to do a U turn at about the CM golf club.

CB

I was thrilled to see the underpass open last Friday morning, but my joy turned to horror that afternoon when I saw the awful traffic at the intersection. And it wasn't just one time that traffic was backed up severly. I hope, as Lannarebirth suggests, that it's just a timing issue. That and maybe people readjusting to the new layout. But I'm not encouraged. In fact, I think things moved ten times more smoothly during construction! Also, I've noticed confusion among those turning, say turning right from a western heading to a northern one. You're given a green light & go but by the time you cross that long intersection you're staring at a red light in front of you. Do you continue or stop? I've seen many motorists unsure. Let's hope everything gets straightened out. I live near Lanna Hospital so I pass that intersection several times a day.

I was thrilled to see the underpass open last Friday morning, but my joy turned to horror that afternoon when I saw the awful traffic at the intersection. And it wasn't just one time that traffic was backed up severly. I hope, as Lannarebirth suggests, that it's just a timing issue. That and maybe people readjusting to the new layout. But I'm not encouraged. In fact, I think things moved ten times more smoothly during construction! Also, I've noticed confusion among those turning, say turning right from a western heading to a northern one. You're given a green light & go but by the time you cross that long intersection you're staring at a red light in front of you. Do you continue or stop? I've seen many motorists unsure. Let's hope everything gets straightened out. I live near Lanna Hospital so I pass that intersection several times a day.

Maybe they should fill it in again, and revert to normal, but whisper it quietly, just in case ! :o

Also, I've noticed confusion among those turning, say turning right from a western heading to a northern one. You're given a green light & go but by the time you cross that long intersection you're staring at a red light in front of you. Do you continue or stop? I've seen many motorists unsure.

The only uncertainty I notice in CM is local drivers unsure of just how fast to go through red lights or how much to cut a right hand turn :o . At Nimmenhamen Rd people wanting to turn right into Huay Kaew Rd often seem to drive down the wrong side of the road from as far up as Kassim's in an attempt to beat the lights and then cut the corner so fine that they come face to face with moto's filtering in from HK Rd. Very dodgy.

That said, it's great to have the underpass complete and I look forward to the Sansai one being finished in the not too distant future.

Edited by Greenside

I think you have to get all the way across. It's a very poor light placement and you're not given much time to cross. I can see all the regular red light runners are going to get caught out there in no mans land though.

Edited by lannarebirth