External Hd

roblin

I need an external HD.

300-500GB

usb2 or usb2+firewire

no AC-power needed is a BIG PLUS, but might be flexible if this narrows the field too much.

small, cute and reliable

price not that important

prefer to buy it from Paragon or Pantip, but might be flexible

Where should I go shopping and what model do you recommend?

300 + GB means you'll need a 3.5" HDD and so you'll need AC Power too! There a lot different products on the market right now and you have the to asseble by your self too.

Paragon would be to expensive but Pantip is fine or Fortune IT Mall!

I need an external HD.

300-500GB

usb2 or usb2+firewire

no AC-power needed is a BIG PLUS, but might be flexible if this narrows the field too much.

small, cute and reliable

price not that important

Why not look here http://www.shop4thai.com/en/category/?cat=49

Load to see 80 listed + can then buy from Pantip cheaper, but will give you an idea

Edited by ignis

I need an external HD.

300-500GB

usb2 or usb2+firewire

small, cute and reliable

price not that important

I assume that you should also look into the USB - FireWire comparison.

If you must have 300+ then A/C power is going to be required. If 120-160 GB is enough, then the Western Digital Elements Portable shown at shop4thai will run from USB power and quite small. I ordered one (120GB) from them and it arrived yesterday. Very nice unit, very light and can fit in my shirt pocket. Tested transfer speeds and very fast.

If you must have 300+ then A/C power is going to be required. If 120-160 GB is enough, then the Western Digital Elements Portable shown at shop4thai will run from USB power and quite small. I ordered one (120GB) from them and it arrived yesterday. Very nice unit, very light and can fit in my shirt pocket. Tested transfer speeds and very fast.

That's what I was wrote before. 300+ GB are 3.5" HDD and they need a lot power. The smaller one, max. 250 GB at the moment are USB connected and may don't need AC Power, but there still some computers which NOT submit power enough to the USB ports to spin up the 2.5" HDD's.

I could even be happens that other devices fail if connected after the HDD because of to much power consumption over the USB ports.

I using the Digimate III + with 120 GB HDD and there isn't any power problems because the case carries a Battery which will be charged if connected to the USB but the HDD use the power of the Battery and not directly from the USB port. The Digimate has an other advantage: different Card Readers!

If you partition the HDD to: 1 Partition NTFS and 1 Partition FAT32, you can use the Digimate without computer to transfer the Data of an Flash Card to the HDD.

By the wy, NTFS Partition required only if you plan to carry Files with an size above 4 GB on the device!

That's what I was wrote before.

Sorry, I left out the 'as mentioned before comment'. :o

I could even be happens that other devices fail if connected after the HDD because of to much power consumption over the USB ports.

That's resolved for those computers that have insufficient power by using a USB Y connector to get power from 2 ports at the same time. How much did the Digimate III cost?

That's resolved for those computers that have insufficient power by using a USB Y connector to get power from 2 ports at the same time. How much did the Digimate III cost?

Not really true because on older Laptaps is still some problems and on some MB's as well! And on some Laptops is the problems with the available Ports most have just 3 USB Ports! Use a USB Mouse, a USB Printer and you haven't ports enough for the HDD!! Just one of more examples!

The Digimate III+ case cost app. THB 1,200 at Pantip and Fortune.

Personally, I recommend trying to match whatever your laptop internal drive type is (SATA vs IDE), in case you ever need to replace your internal drive. You can get up to 250GB in a 2.5" drive now, but that is the current cap. (Makes more sense to get two smaller drives than a single 3.5" drive, if you can separate data so you never need both drives at the same time.)

I like Firewire better myself, but the 2.5" units with FW-800 are not easy to find, so I usually settle on USB. Not a huge difference though.