Why Do Western People Use The Word "farang"?

ade100

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clear up a few points: The Thai word for Caucasian is “Kon phew kao” (literally meaning white skinned people). The word “farang” is slang meaning, literally, “guavas”.

The word “Farang” is fundamentally different to all the derogatory racial terms that have been mentioned in this thread because it is not just racial but linguistic. “Farang” is used to mean English Speaking Person and Caucasian.

However, there are only two English speaking countries in Europe. The Italians, Latvians, Bulgarians, Albanians, Portuguese, Hungarians, etc may be Caucasian but they are not English Speaking. So the term “Farang”, whether we find it offensive or not, is, at best, misleading, at worst, meaningless.

Just to clear up a few points: The Thai word for Caucasian is “Kon phew kao” (literally meaning white skinned people). The word “farang” is slang meaning, literally, “guavas”.

The word “Farang” is fundamentally different to all the derogatory racial terms that have been mentioned in this thread because it is not just racial but linguistic. “Farang” is used to mean English Speaking Person and Caucasian.

However, there are only two English speaking countries in Europe. The Italians, Latvians, Bulgarians, Albanians, Portuguese, Hungarians, etc may be Caucasian but they are not English Speaking. So the term “Farang”, whether we find it offensive or not, is, at best, misleading, at worst, meaningless.

You are wrong again like so many others.

If you are Spanish and speak spanish and are caucasian, you are a farang. If you are Dutch and speak dutch and are caucasian, you are a farang.

It has got nothing to do with what language you speak, as long as they think you have the characteristics of a farang, you would be called farang.

If it is so difficult for farangs to understand ONE simple word farang, I cannot imagine how difficult it might get to understand the whole culture. How long did it take you guys to learn - one plus one equals to ?

I am amazed.

I have a serious question! Please experts out there!

What is the thai word for "caucasion"?

No offense mate, but if you are going to use the boldest of all bold types in a one line attempted knockout statement...you might want to learn how to spell "caucasian" correctly :D Disclaimer : My parents sent me to school, so I have a biased point of view on the matter :D

:o

Well said!!

Any answer to that " meemiathai "

hahahahhahahahahahahhaha

No worries. I do not take offense that easily like those who take offense with the word "farang". Anyway I apologize for spelling the word wrongly for YOUR language. I believe though my english spelling is better than a lot of english speakers, coz when I learn english, it has always been in the books or the internet, never through daily conversations. So if I know the word I always have to know the spelling as well. :D

So again

What is the thai word for "caucasian"?

"If you are Spanish and speak spanish and are caucasian, you are a farang. If you are Dutch and speak dutch and are caucasian, you are a farang.

It has got nothing to do with what language you speak, as long as they think you have the characteristics of a farang, you would be called farang. "

Apologies if you think I am being deliberately obtuse. However in my initial post I mention the "I Love Farang" stickers. Here the meaning is not " I love people with white skin" it is " I speak English".

I have hardly had any english speaking friends in my life. I would really want to make friends with some of them. But now I fear.

Would they actually be offended if I say to them, "Hey, you have got a nice watch!" Would they say, "It is a bloody Rolex you moron!"

"Hey, nice dog!" "It's a gee wawa, you idiot!" Will this happen?

"If you are Spanish and speak spanish and are caucasian, you are a farang. If you are Dutch and speak dutch and are caucasian, you are a farang.

It has got nothing to do with what language you speak, as long as they think you have the characteristics of a farang, you would be called farang. "

Apologies if you think I am being deliberately obtuse. However in my initial post I mention the "I Love Farang" stickers. Here the meaning is not " I love people with white skin" it is " I speak English".

Sorry don't quite understand your post.

:o

I have hardly had any english speaking friends in my life. I would really want to make friends with some of them. But now I fear.

Would they actually be offended if I say to them, "Hey, you have got a nice watch!" Would they say, "It is a bloody Rolex you moron!"

"Hey, nice dog!" "It's a gee wawa, you idiot!" Will this happen?

Not if you have the right friends, Meemiathai. And if any of my so-called friends said "It is a bloody Rolex you moron", they'd be wearing their watch wrapped around their neck.

Edited by farang prince

However, there are only two English speaking countries in Europe.

Only two? I can count seven that have English as their official language!

I only know of the UK and the Republic Of Ireland that use English as their official language. What were the other five you were thinking of? I know in countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden, English is widely spoken to a very high level but I didn't think English was their official language.

Meaningless to whom? You. Your opinion of the Thai language plus 600 baht will buy you a cup of coffee.

However, there are only two English speaking countries in Europe.

Only two? I can count seven that have English as their official language!

I only know of the UK and the Republic Of Ireland that use English as their official language. What were the other five you were thinking of? I know in countries such as the Netherlands and Sweden, English is widely spoken to a very high level but I didn't think English was their official language.

THe United Kingdom is not counted as one country!

England

Scotland

Ireland

Northern Ireland

Wales

Malta

Gibraltar

Edited by mr_hippo

The poster who said before about it not being the word that was offensive, but the way that it was used, had it spot on.

What does get my goat, no matter how much i rationalise that it's used in ignorance, is when i'm being addressed "Hey you". This most often comes from touts or taxi drivers. If only they learnt "Excuse me sir/madam", i'm sure their pitch would bear more fruit.

The poster who said before about it not being the word that was offensive, but the way that it was used, had it spot on.

What does get my goat, no matter how much i rationalise that it's used in ignorance, is when i'm being addressed "Hey you". This most often comes from touts or taxi drivers. If only they learnt "Excuse me sir/madam", i'm sure their pitch would bear more fruit.

The word " you" translates from Khun. That is considered polite. Khun John...........Khun Jam etc.

You,re being too sensitive.

The word " you" translates from Khun. That is considered polite. Khun John...........Khun Jam etc.

Yes i was aware of that explanation, hence why i said i try to rationalise it. But whilst khun is considered polite in Thai, you is not in English. It's a matter of culture rather than language. For a Thai it would be a bit like being addressed as mahn, it.

Chatette

If you use the English version of “farang” while chatting in English then your point would be valid. However you cant analyze what is polite and what is seen as rude in a different culture or language purely by translating it back into English and seeing if it is acceptable in that form. It just doesn’t work. Also just because its not polite to talk like that in the west it doesnt mean you are right and everyone Thai is wrong. Open your mind.

Correct, some of the other rubbish i have read on here is quite amazing.

Meemiathai and other like-minded farangs--If the PC brigade has their way and farang becomes a taboo word, what say we adopt it in the same way that some black Americans use the N-word? You know, Yo farang, whazzup? I am a bad muthaeffing farang, etc.? Keeping the word alive like that would have the additional benefit of irking the PC farangs to no end.

Further to that, I wonder what the offended class would like the Thais to call us in their own language? Perhaps Kon pio nang rai si? (People of no color) might please them?

Yes i was aware of that explanation, hence why i said i try to rationalise it. But whilst khun is considered polite in Thai, you is not in English. It's a matter of culture rather than language. For a Thai it would be a bit like being addressed as mahn, it.

Even when people understand why something is done and that no offense is meant it is hard to get over that visceral negative reaction to being addressed as 'You'. If I have an opportunity I try to explain that saying Sir or Maam is better, otherwise I just ignore it knowing that they think they are doing the correct thing.

Farang won't become a taboo word anytime soon. I have already said that it would be reasonable to refer to us by our nationalities, just as I call Koreans Koreans, Thais Thais, Japanese Japanese, Germans Germans, Russians Russians, Spaniards Spaniards, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

The other day I was talking to a Thai girl who has a university degree and asked if she could point to Brazil on a map. She could not. I asked what language they spoke there. She said English. I got the same response to a list of countries: Mozambique, Austria, Puerto Rico, etc. "I don't know where it is but I think they speak English there". And this person has a degree.

I would opine that if you ask the same series of basic geography questions to most US graduates (and probably British ones as well), you will probably find the same level of ignorance.

So your point is what?

My take on being called farang for over 25 years by wives, friends, enemies, children, policemen, teachers, girlfriends, in-laws, (out-laws), neighbours, Loong Tom Cobley and all is it's a handy generic terminology for the Thais. If some 'qualifier' is appended such as 'luumahk' or 'keenohk', then I have probably deserved it.

But the OP asks why do Western people use it...? Do they?

Farang won't become a taboo word anytime soon. I have already said that it would be reasonable to refer to us by our nationalities, just as I call Koreans Koreans, Thais Thais, Japanese Japanese, Germans Germans, Russians Russians, Spaniards Spaniards, etc.

Look at the following and then tell me the nationalities

people.jpg

Just listen to their language/accents and most educated people with curiosity about the world could guess mostly right. As you all know, I am no genius, and I can usually tell the nationality of most anyone I encounter if I just hear them talk. Russians are farangs. Argentinians are farangs. Alot in common those two peoples (not)!

Sounds like a lot of denial/excuse making for the the basic fact of Thai insularity. Without it, Thailand wouldn't be the Thailand most of us love, but lets see it for what it is.

Edited by Jingthing

Whats the point of just posting Yes, or No, without expressing why you think that way?

Can't be bothered. This topic has been done a zillion times with all the usual suspects giving their predictable replies with or without ranting.

People who don't understand and take offence easily will be offended, people who don't, won't.

Just listen to their language/accents and most educated people with curiosity about the world could guess mostly right. As you all know, I am no genius, and I can usually tell the nationality of most anyone I encounter if I just hear them talk. Russians are farangs. Argentinians are farangs. Alot in common those two peoples (not)!

Sounds like a lot of denial/excuse making for the the basic fact of Thai insularity.

So an educated foreigner who cannot speak English should be able to tell the difference between a Croat, an Albanian and a Romanian when they are speaking English? Can you?

The accepted word in Thailand is 'farang' - learn to live with it!

So an educated foreigner who cannot speak English should be able to tell the difference between a Croat, an Albanian and a Romanian when they are speaking English? Can you?

The accepted word in Thailand is 'farang' - learn to live with it!

No, but an educated person of any country should be able to tell the difference between Russian, French, English, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, and German.

I already said 10 times I have no problem with it, but sorry, it does say something about Thailand, like it or not.

Edited by Jingthing