Big Tipping Tourist

Rice_King

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

Its all relative..a 1000 baht note to one person is the same as a 10 baht coin to others, in terms of disposable funds.

I know a guy in LOS who could burn 100K baht a day just off the net interest in his bank account(free money).

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

Its all relative..a 1000 baht note to one person is the same as a 10 baht coin to others, in terms of disposable funds.

I know a guy in LOS who could burn 100K baht a day just off the net interest in his bank account(free money).

Whats his name , Thaksin ? Abramovich ?

Why would you tip for a service that is included in the price? If you pay 300 baht for a massage and you get one then there's no reason to tip, unless you're receiving "special services" of some description. It's different in a restaurant because you pay for the meal and tip for the service.

Why would you tip for a service that is included in the price? If you pay 300 baht for a massage and you get one then there's no reason to tip, unless you're receiving "special services" of some description. It's different in a restaurant because you pay for the meal and tip for the service.

There's absolutely no reason.

I tip the wino that empties my bins sometimes as he helps to keep me off the booze.

Whats his name , Thaksin ? Abramovich ?

Nope.Just a regular kiwi bloke made good. 15million NZD (11.25million USD), cumulating daily, paid monthly at ~ 9% p/a minus a 2% levy on the interest payments. Certainly a decent lump of coin, but you'd be surprised just how many folks there are in LOS and the world in a similar situation. Needless to say, I'm rather jealous :o

I've been doing my budget for our next trip.

4 return flights from the UK to Thailand

Hotels

Transport

Food

Entrance Fees

General Spending Money

Gifts for friends in Thailand

Gifts for friends back home

Medical Insurance

I figure on a reasonable amount of money being spent, in excess of £6K.

So I spend a futher £100 or so on Tips to ensure we get great service and my family have a relaxed and enjoyable holiday.

I guarantee we get treated very well at the hotels we are staying at, guarantee a tables at the restaurants we want to eat at and I don't get to lug bags, run or run around doing stuff I can pay a bit extra to get other people to do.

I reckon that's a bargain.

Edited by GuestHouse

Good on you, GuestHouse. It's your money and you can spend it how you want. Don't let the miserably buggers tell you what you can or cannot tip. What next? Dictates on how much you should spend on dinner each night? A mandate on the number of beers you can have?

I'll tip what I bloody well feel like tipping. If it's more than the ne'erdowells think 'appropriate' or they worry that I'm ruining it for everyone else well . . frankly .. . i dont give a toss.

Earlier this year I watched an American friend of mine settle a check but did not leave a tip. I asked him what the hel_l he thought he was doing? He said he was tipping like a European now and doesn't tip anymore. I told him that he was cheap and to never, never do that again in my presence. We live here in Bangkok and I would like to maybe come back to the establishment again. I know it's his choice but I gave him my portion of the check and more for a generous tip.

I tip taxi drivers more than most because I feel that the honest ones that immediately turn on the meter simply deserve it. The price of all types of fuel are up and a Bangkok taxi is one of the biggest bargains in the world.

Edited by grantbkk

It's all fine for those tourists who have plenty of holiday money to splash around and want to appear like BIG SHOTS to the so called poor Thai peasant people, but it does no good at all for those of us who are resident in Thailand trying to make ends meet.

10 years ago most Thais never expected tips, as it wasn't part of their customary way of doing business. These days whether it is for having a massage, service in restaurants, taxi transportation and some other general services, many in these industries are holding their hands out for tips.

This is because of these stupid tourists that think they are really cool & smart the big cheese over here, probably total non entities in their home countries giving out over the top tips. Tipping has now become the norm and expected, especially on the social scene, meaning services more expensive for all.

Edited by distortedlink

"Poor Thai peasent people"

Is anyone else here calling anyone "poor Thai peasent people"?

And even if they were, which is worse, putting your hand in your pocket and rewarding good service with some well deserved and surely well appreciated cash - Or taking advantage of these people you wish to identify as 'Poor Thai Peasent People', by using the services they provide at the very cheapest cost to yourself?

There is something rather nasty about critisizing others for tipping nand hence encouraging Thais (or anyone else for that matter) from earning a bit more money with Tips.

If there is a condesending view of Thais here it resides firmly with those who want Thais to remain ignorant of the fact that Tipping is common practice in the cultures we foreigners come from - And why, becauuse they themselves are to tight to put their hand in their pocket.

And as my wife often says when handing out tips - the money we pass over is probably a meal for someone, a treat for the individual or for their children. Given the low wages in the Thai service industry its more likely that tips are meals on tables and clothes on backs.

"Poor Thai peasent people"

Is anyone else here calling anyone "poor Thai peasent people"?

And even if they were, which is worse, putting your hand in your pocket and rewarding good service with some well deserved and surely well appreciated cash - Or taking advantage of these people you wish to identify as 'Poor Thai Peasent People', by using the services they provide at the very cheapest cost to yourself?

There is something rather nasty about critisizing others for tipping nand hence encouraging Thais (or anyone else for that matter) from earning a bit more money with Tips.

If there is a condesending view of Thais here it resides firmly with those who want Thais to remain ignorant of the fact that Tipping is common practice in the cultures we foreigners come from - And why, becauuse they themselves are to tight to put their hand in their pocket.

And as my wife often says when handing out tips - the money we pass over is probably a meal for someone, a treat for the individual or for their children. Given the low wages in the Thai service industry its more likely that tips are meals on tables and clothes on backs.

firstly: I quoted so called Thai peasant people, meaning that is probably how these tourists consider them, secondly, I qoute, over the top tipping, not no tipping at all.

above avarage service above avarage tip is justified.

I never tip to those who are just going through the motions, which on the most part describes about 75 per cent of those I come in contact with. :o I will, however, ALWAYS leave a tip (20%) to those who go above and beyond the call of service.

it's his money and he can do what he wants with it. "Acceptable" is subjective. The harm that can come about is probably from the tension between you two. Repercussions: people may look at him as a very rich man (not sure if that is good or bad).

I don't go out alot, but I am a generous tipper when I do. I don't think I am over generous, but a good 10% of the bill goes to the waiter/waitress, directly and a smaller tip in the try for everyone. The generosity depends on how long we were there and how good the service was. I have noticed that since I tip well, we generally get very good services.

I tip my barber--who, when I enter the shop, makes sure I get a haircut exediently. He (she) get 20 baht and I have only two that I will let cut my hair. If someone else does it, it is upon their recommendation.

Buffets, I don't tip, Department Stores I don't tip.

Interestingly, it is my Thai friends who usually complain about leaving a tip. I find this interesting since sometimes they have spent the last 2 hours 'mauling' some poor young waitress!

A HUGE "Thank You!" to everyone who have posted to this thread thus far. I did not originally intend for the thread to be about whether to tip or not. I intended it to address tipping at a very high percentage relative to the bill.

FYI: I tip 10-20% depending on the service I get. This is consistent with what I practice in my home country. Here in Thailand, I have been told by my gf that the only the eateries that present the bill on a plate or in a book, expect a tip in return. If the bill is presented by hand or verbally, no tip is expected. (I listen to her. She is Thai and should know the customs. Right?) Taxi drivers get 10-20%.

Reading the replies here has been a bit of a "revelation" for me. The revelation being that about half (or more) of the posters here approve of my friend's generous tipping practice of 60%-100+% of a (food) bill. Based on what I have read, I will try to take a more indifferent attitude to his bighearted ways.

Edited by Rice_King

What is required is local knowledge of tipping. Different countries have different "rules" for tipping waiters, taxi drivers, hotel doormen, etc. In America, waiters get half the legal minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to earn money from tips. In Canada, waiters get decent salaries and aren't expected to be tipped. When Canadians come to America, they KNOW in America tipping is standard but they play ignorant and don't tip (in my experience as a waiter in Florida where rich Canadians would have enough money for winter homes but not enough to leave 15% on a lunch tab). In Finland I'm told they would be offended if you left a tip whereas 86 km across the gulf in Estonia, tips are appreciated (although rarely earned).

Usually guidebooks I have seen have a section on local tipping customs. Anyone have a link to what is expected/appropriate here in Thailand?

oh really, in which part of canada is this true. my years there in the service industry would indicate differently.

Edited by t.s

In Canada, waiters get decent salaries and aren't expected to be tipped. When Canadians come to America, they KNOW in America tipping is standard but they play ignorant and don't tip (in my experience as a waiter in Florida where rich Canadians would have enough money for winter homes but not enough to leave 15% on a lunch tab).

oh really, in which part of canada is this true. my years there in the service industry would indicate differently.

Well, now, this is interesting. You obviously know better because of your experience than I would as this is just what I was told. So if it's not true, just why is it that Canadians are infamous in for not tipping?

Now back to over-tipping in Thailand...

IF one over-tipper can "ruin it for the rest of us" can't people who don't tip at all balance that out? When I was a waiter I knew sometimes I'd get over-tipped, sometimes just right and sometimes not at all and it wasn't always clear why any of those happened. Wouldn't Thais must also know that sometimes foreigners tip and sometimes they don't. Judging from the replies here, I'd say there's a heckuva lot who don't tip.

Hey Rice_King, while I admire your friends attitude to help the needy ones, may I suggest another way of doing this:

Suggest to him to tip "normally" (whatever that means) and if he feels like doing some charity, I would be happy to suggest a few organizations who really do help the poor, uneducated, sick people in Thailand.

Of course, this kind of charity and anonymous donations doesn't make you a big guy, because usually nobody will know, except yourself.

What is required is local knowledge of tipping. Different countries have different "rules" for tipping waiters, taxi drivers, hotel doormen, etc. In America, waiters get half the legal minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to earn money from tips. In Canada, waiters get decent salaries and aren't expected to be tipped. When Canadians come to America, they KNOW in America tipping is standard but they play ignorant and don't tip (in my experience as a waiter in Florida where rich Canadians would have enough money for winter homes but not enough to leave 15% on a lunch tab). In Finland I'm told they would be offended if you left a tip whereas 86 km across the gulf in Estonia, tips are appreciated (although rarely earned).

Usually guidebooks I have seen have a section on local tipping customs. Anyone have a link to what is expected/appropriate here in Thailand?

As would my years being born & living in Canada. We as 'rule' give between 10-15% for good service. Where are you from again Koheesti? Guess people from anywhere tip on their service, depending on good or bad, or on their income or on useless advisors like you 'et al'... just like in Thailand. Depending on their income too. Silly person...

Whilst he has every right to spend his money as he sees fit, it does put significant pressure on these recipients to beg for tips from all and sundry and view acceptable levels of tipping with distain as if too little.

Utter tosh.

Recipients aren't brainless baboons. They can tell the difference between a 'supertip' and a more normal 10-15% tip.

Your logic would have it that the lucky poker dealer who received $85,000 from Kerry Packer would suddenly think that's the norm.

Hey Rice_King, while I admire your friends attitude to help the needy ones, may I suggest another way of doing this:

Suggest to him to tip "normally" (whatever that means) and if he feels like doing some charity, I would be happy to suggest a few organizations who really do help the poor, uneducated, sick people in Thailand.

Of course, this kind of charity and anonymous donations doesn't make you a big guy, because usually nobody will know, except yourself.

Hey.... I like that! Very good advice Dominique. I may give that pitch to my friend if the opportunity presents itself.

wow! i just got off suspension and i see a post about blowjobs here. if thats not considered trash i dont know wot is!

on tipping, i would assume if a thai get a big tip they would just consider themselves lucky. its not a normal thing to expect from their customers.

just like being a dealer in las vegas and having your mortgage paid by a customer i s not normal but happens every now and then. kerry packer tipped a poker dealer? i thought it was a cocaine dealer, or bj dealer, anything but poker...lol.

any comment about people who eat at foodland in sukhumvit and leave 1 baht tip. and these look like tourists.

ah koheesti, u very smart. as a tipped employee it always cums down to an average. the no tips will counter the big tippers and it will all avg out. believe me there r quite a FEW WHO BELIEVE IN NO TIPPING.

Edited by blizzard

I tip quite well in the USA. As a result I get great service, the best cuts, freebies from the bar, etc on subsequent visits. My experience is Asia is that tipping doesn't yield the same results. That being the case I take the "when in Rome" approach.

For me, the provision of a "tip" is a mixture of convenience on my part and/or extra reward for on the scale of things, satisfactory to exemplary service.

I usually leave the coins + a 20 in the billfold when eating/drinking (unless throughly miffed at something)

Been known to slip a larger note to musicians who impress me with their chops or willingness to play an extended encore.

From time to time give security guards at my condo a surprise tip, maybe a 20 or a 100.

Taxis, I don't like to fuss with change, so I give something close enough to the fare ie: 85 baht fare, I might just give 100, 35 baht fare just give 40 etc...

Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking?

Yes. You're ignoring the fact that it's his money, not yours, and he's free to use it, or waste it, any dam_n way he pleases. It's none of your business, no matter what the negative repercussions are, even if you believe he's "ruining Thailand" for you.

He earned it, it's his. What he does with it is none of your business.

Write that on the chalkboard 10,000 times.

As for your friend, this type of moronic behaviour should be discouraged.

Spend your money however you like.

When you have money to burn, it's up to you whether you burn it. When other people have money to burn, it's not your business if they choose to burn it.

They earned it, they have the right to choose how to spend it.

If he's such a "moron," why is he the one with the money, and why are you the one saying "if I had that much money, I'd certainly spend it differently?" Maybe he's not the one displaying "moronic behavior" after all.

Why does Thailand attract so many losers preoccupied with how other people spend their money?