Big Tipping Tourist

Rice_King

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see you refering to your friend as farang Jingthing.

Don't you know her nationality?

I like the word farang, if you had been paying attention, you would know that. The purpose of using farang friend here is to class all my farang friends in a basket, and she is the best. If I had said best American friend there might have been a question that perhaps I have an even better Bulgarian friend.

Now your getting the idea.

Does anyone have any fire works for celebration?

Nice to see you refering to your friend as farang Jingthing.

Don't you know her nationality?

I like the word farang, if you had been paying attention, you would know that. The purpose of using farang friend here is to class all my farang friends in a basket, and she is the best. If I had said best American friend there might have been a question that perhaps I have an even better Bulgarian friend.

Now your getting the idea.

Does anyone have any fire works for celebration?

fireworks.gif

I have a friend who visits Thailand for 6 months of the year. My friend has a very good retirement and is certainly not hurting for money. So, while he is here in LOS, he makes sure that the local staff and service people whom he comes into contact with are very well compensated. Actually, "very well compensated" is probably an understatement.

As an example of his generosity, I will relate what transpired today at a buffet lunch. My friend ordered a mixed drink while my gf and I drank the water provided. The wait staff delivered my friend's mixed drink and kept our water glasses full. They didn't bring us any food, as it was a buffet, we helped ourselves. At the end of the meal my friend settled the food bill which amounted to 520 baht. Despite my objections, his tip amounted to over 300 baht.

This is quite typical behavior for him. He once tipped 1000 baht to a food vendor who chased him down a soi to return him a bag of goods he had purchased and had left behind at her stall. The cost of the goods he had forgotten was about fifty baht.

Whenever I chastise him, he shrugs it off by saying, "I can't take it with me." Or, "They need it more than I do."

What is the opinion of the folks reading this? Do you think that this is acceptable behavior for someone who has "money to throw around? What possible harm could come from my friend's generosity? Or is there another aspect of this that I am overlooking? What are the repercussions, if any, of over-tipping to such a degree?

:o Oh such Philanphrapy is unnaceptable! Somebody inform immigration That this bastard must have his visa rejected immediately! Rice King this thread is absolutely hilarious, I now Christen thee ''The King of Baloon chasers!''

Im a bit late participating in this thread but after reading it thoroughly I am now convinced that Thailand is now full of foreign cheap Charlies. If a kind hearted person wants to tip a whopping 300 Baht??!! for a meal etc then why the hel_l not. Im not rich but i certainly feel obliged to pay that kind of tip when the service is good. Hey it makes me feel better, and compared to what i could spend a measly 300 baht on in my home country it certainly is not a shocking amount, the Thais never forget and such a gesture always gives me excellent service whenever i go back to these places. Anybody who comes up with some tripe that a Thai maybe offended and feel small if you were to tip them over the odds obviously either A) Hasnt spent enough time in Thailand or :D Is trying to justify his own ''Stingyness''. If you was to tip a waitress in America say 100 dollars she wouldn't feel small and helpless she would feel frigging great! If you dont like tipping, you havent got enough pension money or you're stupid enough to believe that big tippers are going to ruin it for everybody then theres a simple solution to that, DONT LIVE IN THE MOST EXPENSIVE RESORTS IN THAILAND! Ie Pattaya, Phuket etc etc. If you go to Issan where there are not many tourists half the vendors, shopkeepers or restaurant staff don't even know what a tip is. They would be over the moon if you gave them 5 baht thats after your wife explains to them what a tip actually is. Go live there if you really think '' The end of the world is nigh!'' :o

lukey, tip what you like. My point is that in different cultures in different situations you can indeed offend by tipping at all. In the US, do you tip the postal clerk? That sort of thing. I agree you won't offend waiters by overtipping, but on the other hand it is not required at all to project American tipping culture here, or anywhere. Thailand has its own tipping culture. The overtipped waiter isn't going to be offended, but they might think you are a fool or crazy, but up 2 you, thats the beauty part, please don't mess with it.

BTW, Pattaya really isn't very expensive compared to Phuket, still very affordable if you want it to be, doesn't sound very tolerant of you to tell people where they should or shouldn't live. There are lots of places to spend big money here, but again, up 2 you, you don't have to. Dinner out can cost 25 baht or 25,000 baht.

Edited by Jingthing

Im not rich but i certainly feel obliged to pay that kind of tip when the service is good. Hey it makes me feel better, and compared to what i could spend a measly 300 baht on in my home country it certainly is not a shocking amount, the Thais never forget and such a gesture always gives me excellent service whenever i go back to these places. Anybody who comes up with some tripe that a Thai maybe offended and feel small if you were to tip them over the odds obviously either A) Hasnt spent enough time in Thailand or :DIs trying to justify his own ''Stingyness''. If you was to tip a waitress in America say 100 dollars she wouldn't feel small and helpless she would feel frigging great! If you dont like tipping, you havent got enough pension money or you're stupid enough to believe that big tippers are going to ruin it for everybody then theres a simple solution to that, DONT LIVE IN THE MOST EXPENSIVE RESORTS IN THAILAND! Ie Pattaya, Phuket etc etc. If you go to Issan where there are not many tourists half the vendors, shopkeepers or restaurant staff don't even know what a tip is. They would be over the moon if you gave them 5 baht thats after your wife explains to them what a tip actually is. Go live there if you really think '' The end of the world is nigh!'' :o
Excellent post,

Yes a tip is always appreciated and the receiver always have the option to decline, have you ever seen a tip refused,

The cheap charles hate to be contrasted with the generous, brings attention to their cheapness,

The reality is generous tippers will get a table when the place is full, the staff will be happy to see them and they don't have to worry whether someone spit in their food, and generally will be held in higher regard.

Tipping is just simply appreciation for service, the cheap will always find a reason not to and the generous will always find a reason to do so.

does anyone care whether a tipped employee respects them or not........ souond s a bit off the wall to me.

whne i receive a tip, all i think is good tip ,bad tip or avg tip. i dont respect or disrespect person coz size of tip.

2 of the bigest cheapos in usa r tiger woods and mikel jordan, heresay of course. charles barkley says they are.

I will try one more time.

To say that overtipping or tipping at all in certain cases in certain cultures is an INSULT and OFFENDS the local people is NOT controversial. It is a FACT. Any sophisticated world traveler knows this; it is not news.

This is not the same thing as saying you should be mean and cheap or not tip when you should tip.

This says it better than I have been able to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=156961&hl=

Really, ENOUGH SAID. Learn something, why don't you? With a special shout out to my fellow often clueless Americans.

Edited by Jingthing

I will try one more time.

How magnanimous of you. :o

To say that overtipping or tipping at all in certain cases in certain cultures is an INSULT and OFFENDS the local people is NOT controversial. It is a FACT. Any sophisticated world traveler knows this; it is not news.

This is not the same thing as saying you should be mean and cheap or not tip when you should tip.

This says it better than I have been able to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=156961&hl=

Really, ENOUGH SAID. Learn something, why don't you? With a special shout out to my fellow often clueless Americans.

Apparently your arrogance is outmatched only by your own lack of worldly experience. In my fifty years of travels throughout the world I have never experienced anyone objecting to gratuity for exceptional service but I have certainly seen/heard my share of those who come up with endless reasons to hoard their cash and belittle sharing, even by my 'fellow Americans'.

Edited by Dustoff

Im a bit late participating in this thread but after reading it thoroughly I am now convinced that Thailand is now full of foreign cheap Charlies. If a kind hearted person wants to tip a whopping 300 Baht??!! for a meal etc then why the hel_l not. Im not rich but i certainly feel obliged to pay that kind of tip when the service is good. Hey it makes me feel better, and compared to what i could spend a measly 300 baht on in my home country it certainly is not a shocking amount, the Thais never forget and such a gesture always gives me excellent service whenever i go back to these places. Anybody who comes up with some tripe that a Thai maybe offended and feel small if you were to tip them over the odds obviously either A) Hasnt spent enough time in Thailand or :D Is trying to justify his own ''Stingyness''. If you was to tip a waitress in America say 100 dollars she wouldn't feel small and helpless she would feel frigging great! If you dont like tipping, you havent got enough pension money or you're stupid enough to believe that big tippers are going to ruin it for everybody then theres a simple solution to that, DONT LIVE IN THE MOST EXPENSIVE RESORTS IN THAILAND! Ie Pattaya, Phuket etc etc. If you go to Issan where there are not many tourists half the vendors, shopkeepers or restaurant staff don't even know what a tip is. They would be over the moon if you gave them 5 baht thats after your wife explains to them what a tip actually is. Go live there if you really think '' The end of the world is nigh!'' :o

Good post. Good points. You are right, they might not even know what a tip is in Isaan.

Looking back, I did sometimes overtip and only realize it now. And this includes here in HK. But they were to make people happy. What is wrong with trying to make people happy? Can we not share what we have so more people can get happy?

As I said, I can understand people with a tight budget and not tip. Fine! Not a single word from me. But to tell people not to tip so much or even not, in a way like they do not deserve that kind of money, they are poor and we should not spoil them is something I do not agree with. I like seeing people getting a reward for having tried hard to do something.

How many times in life have we seen people tried and tried and struggles and gets exploited and recieves no reward, resulting them turning negative about this world and start developing a steel heart and do not give a shit anymore about what is fair and what is not? I do my part giving happiness if I can.

Im not rich but i certainly feel obliged to pay that kind of tip when the service is good. Hey it makes me feel better, and compared to what i could spend a measly 300 baht on in my home country it certainly is not a shocking amount, the Thais never forget and such a gesture always gives me excellent service whenever i go back to these places. Anybody who comes up with some tripe that a Thai maybe offended and feel small if you were to tip them over the odds obviously either A) Hasnt spent enough time in Thailand or :DIs trying to justify his own ''Stingyness''. If you was to tip a waitress in America say 100 dollars she wouldn't feel small and helpless she would feel frigging great! If you dont like tipping, you havent got enough pension money or you're stupid enough to believe that big tippers are going to ruin it for everybody then theres a simple solution to that, DONT LIVE IN THE MOST EXPENSIVE RESORTS IN THAILAND! Ie Pattaya, Phuket etc etc. If you go to Issan where there are not many tourists half the vendors, shopkeepers or restaurant staff don't even know what a tip is. They would be over the moon if you gave them 5 baht thats after your wife explains to them what a tip actually is. Go live there if you really think '' The end of the world is nigh!'' :o
Excellent post,

Yes a tip is always appreciated and the receiver always have the option to decline, have you ever seen a tip refused,

The cheap charles hate to be contrasted with the generous, brings attention to their cheapness,

The reality is generous tippers will get a table when the place is full, the staff will be happy to see them and they don't have to worry whether someone spit in their food, and generally will be held in higher regard.

Tipping is just simply appreciation for service, the cheap will always find a reason not to and the generous will always find a reason to do so.

Yes I have been refused for a tip. Simply saying, no need, thanks, we were happy to serve you. Or giving me back some of my tip. I simply like seeing happy faces and it makes me happy. Can't imagine what it would be like if I were actually rich!

The link works for me to the Thaivisa post. Try tipping a postal clerk in the US. How many countries have you traveled to? I stopped counting at 50.

Try staying with the concept of the thread. We are talking mostly about service people who are usually low paid and often depend on tips to make a decent wage. Ever traveled to America during your 50-country visits? Tips are not only expected but included in a wait-person's taxable income and if they don't report any they can be subjected to investigation by the American IRS.

And to even mention a postal worker is ridiculous; why not say, "Try tipping a policeman"? Postal workers are Federal employees and forbidden by Federal law to accept any kind of gratuity whatsoever. And if you try to 'tip' a police officer, you are liable for immediate arrest.

I gotta admit that you have me beat with your travels through 50+ countries but it does help me understand your point of view. Like the guy who posted on another thread about his conquest of hundreds of women, the chances are slim that you had time to relate to anyone on a human level. Unless of course you are 300+ years old but I don't think I am buying either...

This is an interesting read. And very personal.

Didnt the "King" give Cadillac’s to his friends. I just think some people have very big hearts, whilst others are more than happy to accept that one's lot in life is what they have to do for others. I know that it is a great feeling to see someone xpress suprise and gratitude for what is done, but also it feels even better when you can do something for another person in a selfless way.

How can I be critical of another for wanting to share their wealth or defend the right of only paying for the goods recieved. To me it is just a personal statement.

i thought of an idea. for those who think tipping is insulting to recipient, ask them first. if they answer yes it is insulting , wish thm a nnice day. if they say no they not insulted give em a bigger tip than u would have due to the fact u asked them a silly question.

i thought of an idea. for those who think tipping is insulting to recipient, ask them first. if they answer yes it is insulting , wish thm a nnice day. if they say no they not insulted give em a bigger tip than u would have due to the fact u asked them a silly question.

:o

The link works for me to the Thaivisa post. Try tipping a postal clerk in the US. How many countries have you traveled to? I stopped counting at 50.

Try staying with the concept of the thread. We are talking mostly about service people who are usually low paid and often depend on tips to make a decent wage. Ever traveled to America during your 50-country visits? Tips are not only expected but included in a wait-person's taxable income and if they don't report any they can be subjected to investigation by the American IRS.

And to even mention a postal worker is ridiculous; why not say, "Try tipping a policeman"? Postal workers are Federal employees and forbidden by Federal law to accept any kind of gratuity whatsoever. And if you try to 'tip' a police officer, you are liable for immediate arrest.

I gotta admit that you have me beat with your travels through 50+ countries but it does help me understand your point of view. Like the guy who posted on another thread about his conquest of hundreds of women, the chances are slim that you had time to relate to anyone on a human level. Unless of course you are 300+ years old but I don't think I am buying either...

Your right on again,

and the best they can come up with is a link to "The Oregonian" rag, which is the undisputed oracle on world culture and custom, give me a break. :o

With replies like would you tip a postman, calling his fellow Americans clueless and espousing his 50 some countries his visited, Jings responses are nonsense, almost comical, but he has a right to his opinions but views anyone's else's as a personal attack on him,

(where he then PM's you requesting you stop attacking him as he is a senior member with 3000+ posts), :D

Tipping isn't about status, it's a simply gesture of appreciation and acknowledgment of service.

Edited by cobra

For this thread, NO TIP FOR YOU! Or soup. Or fish and chips.

Anyway, ignoring the shameless provocateurs (you know who you are), I will try yet another time. I think you may like this link a bit better and this says exactly what I have been trying to communicate better than I can. Again, this fact is not controversial to worldly people:

In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered condescending or demeaning. In some circumstances (such as tipping government workers), tipping is illegal and considered a bribe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip

I wouldn't include Thai waiters in Pattaya in this caveat; you can tip them all you want and they will love it, but I think most of you that do are really doing it for personal psychological reasons and doing so doesn't make you a better or worse human being than those who tip at local standards.

post-37101-1196893655.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Your right on again,

and the best they can come up with is a link to "The Oregonian" rag, which is the undisputed oracle on world culture and custom, give me a break. :o

With replies like would you tip a postman, calling his fellow Americans clueless and espousing his 50 some countries his visited, Jings responses are nonsense, almost comical, but he has a right to his opinions but views anyone's else's as a personal attack on him,

(where he then PM's you requesting you stop attacking him as he is a senior member with 3000+ posts), :D

Tipping isn't about status, it's a simply gesture of appreciation and acknowledgment of service.

Now I thought I was the only who he PMed. Are you trying to brainwash all the farang here?

You can't PM every bloody person who disagreed with you! I was going to go low key and not reply to any of your posts but!

Shame on you! I have absolutely no respect for you now until unless you explain why! Unbelievable! Very dirty!

I PMed both Cobra and Meemee because they have both shown a pattern of personal attacks directed at moi, and I thought it best to try to handle this like a gentlemen and politely ask them to cool it rather than cry to the mods. Not once, never, did I mention anything about my "seniority" or number of posts, how frigging ridiculous. I will let their darkness shine without further comment. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing