Retirement Visa --announcement From Pattaya Mail

I renewed recently at Jomtien. They required a letter from the UK Consul certifying that my pension was at least 65K.

Incidentally a couple of years ago that letter was provided free of charge. Then last year it cost 500 Baht and this year the cost has gone up to 2448 Baht. That's the UK Consul I talking about - not Thai Immigration. I can imagine the reaction if the Thai authorities were to increase their charges by that amount!

lawling,

That's an interesting observation. Does anyone know who sets the fee that Mr. Barry Kenyon can charge in Pattaya? Is it the same fee that you would pay in the British Embassy in BKK, or from any other Honorary Consul in Nakhon Nowhere (pardon my ignorance of the Boondocks, I assume that they do have them out there)? Or can he charge whatever he feels is the market rate?

If it's set by the British Guv-ern-munt, then a 400% increase in a year does seem a bit steep :o . Has anyone complained officially about this, e.g. to your MP back in the frost? The likes of Barry Kenyon are supposed to be there to help us, I thought, not to rip us off even worse than the Thais do.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I renewed recently at Jomtien. They required a letter from the UK Consul certifying that my pension was at least 65K.

Incidentally a couple of years ago that letter was provided free of charge. Then last year it cost 500 Baht and this year the cost has gone up to 2448 Baht. That's the UK Consul I talking about - not Thai Immigration. I can imagine the reaction if the Thai authorities were to increase their charges by that amount!

lawling,

That's an interesting observation. Does anyone know who sets the fee that Mr. Barry Kenyon can charge in Pattaya? Is it the same fee that you would pay in the British Embassy in BKK, or from any other Honorary Consul in Nakhon Nowhere (pardon my ignorance of the Boondocks, I assume that they do have them out there)? Or can he charge whatever he feels is the market rate?

If it's set by the British Guv-ern-munt, then a 400% increase in a year does seem a bit steep :o . Has anyone complained officially about this, e.g. to your MP back in the frost? The likes of Barry Kenyon are supposed to be there to help us, I thought, not to rip us off even worse than the Thais do.

The fees are indeed set by the Government so Mr Kenyon, the embassy in Bangkok or indeed anywhere in the world have to charge the set fees as laid down by the FCO. The idea is to make the services cost neutral to the taxpayer, and I am pretty sure there are many more cost savings measures in the pipeline.

Last week when I went in for my 90 day I asked the immigration officer for a list of all the changes in the immagration requirements. He said there are none. >>>>.....

Cheers.

There are fees listed on the main Bangkok Immigration website. Try http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=service and follow the options.

You can also download all the forms you want onto your PC and complete them in MS Word, using their "Interactive documents" (Just tab between boxes and complete). For these go to http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=download

The fees are indeed set by the Government so Mr Kenyon, the embassy in Bangkok or indeed anywhere in the world have to charge the set fees as laid down by the FCO. The idea is to make the services cost neutral to the taxpayer, and I am pretty sure there are many more cost savings measures in the pipeline.

Oh well, since I no longer pay UK taxes :o:D , then I guess that I can't complain!

Seriously, though, it seems to me a high price for what is involved - a few minutes of checking papers and then a signature and stamp on a pre-prepared form I suppose. And sitting outside the Jomtien Immigration office for 30 minutes a day hardly constitutes Wireless Road overheads. Not his fault though, just another part of the great British rip-off.

From my experience of extending our Retirement Visa I would say watch this space.

I know it is frustrating and everytime this happens ..changes/additions etc etc many people make decisions as if they will definitely happen. Like for example a retired married couple we going to have to have 65,000 per month each or 800,000 a year each etc etc.......This has not been applied!

Yes it seems everything changes every other minute but for me and my wife we are prepared to ride the wave. This allows us to continue to enjoy our lives here.

I have just returned from Pattaya immigration where I have processed my Retirement visa renewal (3rd) plus one for my wife (UK Citizen as well). I provided TM7 forms, passports with existing TM card, copy of deposit savings book showing 800,000 baht (deposited 31 August) together with Kasikorn bank letter confirming such amount and also marriage certificate (copy only in English). I offered another fund account showing 800,000 plus letter from bank but was handed this back. Only the above mentioned documents were requested, did not even want to see original bank deposit book or proof of any other savings. There was no request to have mariage certificate in Thai.

In fact I was only unnerved by the need to rush outside to photocopy our original Non Immi B visa pages which I was advised they like every year. The officer was not overly courteous but was proficient and explanatory about what to do. I paid the 1900 baht x 2 then was asked to see the Captain sitting behind the immigration officer. This all went relatively smoothly, the Captain in fact was most courteous and even conjoured up a smile. I was asked to come back tomorrow to collect both visas at 1000 a.m.

I was also of the impression that for renewal of retirement visa the 3 month period for deposited money did not apply. My wife had been informed (when she reported on 25 October) that we could apply anytime in November for the visa (expires officially on 08 December). I waited until today only to save dressing up and then get told to apply at a later date. At no time was I asked for any other proof of income, did not want to see credit cards, savings book or any visa receipts.

A most efficient and rewarding visit.

I was also of the impression that for renewal of retirement visa the 3 month period for deposited money did not apply.

Yes! That is what I was explicitly told at Jomtien for subsequent renewals using the 800K. What gave you the impression, though?

I would guess because they probably did not even bother CHECKING the top up dates, correct? If they aren't checking the dates, they aren't applying the so called rule.

I suggest people explicitly ASK and report back. So far, we are hearing the same thing I reported from Jomtien. However, as there is no official policy statement, it stills leaves a lot of uncertainty.

Edited by Jingthing

I was also of the impression that for renewal of retirement visa the 3 month period for deposited money did not apply.

Yes! That is what I was explicitly told at Jomtien for subsequent renewals using the 800K. What gave you the impression, though?

I would guess because they probably did not even bother CHECKING the top up dates, correct? If they aren't checking the dates, they aren't applying the so called rule.

I suggest people explicitly ASK and report back. So far, we are hearing the same thing I reported from Jomtien. However, as there is no official policy statement, it stills leaves a lot of uncertainty.

Jingthing is correct and in a way my wife was explicitly told that we could apply anytime in November. The fact that having been in Thailand 5 years and seen so many changes I don't like to tempt fate so decided to apply at the 2 months and 30 day time frame. The ease of process and the total lack of interest in anything but highlighting the 800,000 amount in my deposit book took me aback a little and I decided not to ask the question for worry of being asked to come back tomorrow when the actual 3 months deposit period would be reached. I will ask about the 3 month deposit period for renewals once I have my passport back in my hand. I will report again then

To clarify, please ask and report if you have complied with the so called 3 month rule. I wouldn't expect anyone to ask if they haven't complied and perhaps call attention to a possible problem. If you apply without following the so called 3 month rule are have no problem or indeed do have a problem, that is very good info to report as well. It is a shame that they just can't make a clear announcement in the Pattaya Mail about this, but don't expect that, too easy.

Jingthing is correct and in a way my wife was explicitly told that we could apply anytime in November. The fact that having been in Thailand 5 years and seen so many changes I don't like to tempt fate so decided to apply at the 2 months and 30 day time frame. The ease of process and the total lack of interest in anything but highlighting the 800,000 amount in my deposit book took me aback a little and I decided not to ask the question for worry of being asked to come back tomorrow when the actual 3 months deposit period would be reached. I will ask about the 3 month deposit period for renewals once I have my passport back in my hand. I will report again then

Hi dalmatian,

Thanks for the feedback. May I ask why you have to go back to get your passports tomorrow? I had the impression from every other post I have read on the subject of getting a retirement extension that it is stamped in your passport on the spot, and you then apply immediately for a multiple re-entry permit (assuming that you want to travel, which I do), which is also given on the spot. Or is that not always the case?

Cheers.

Both times for me I had to wait for the next day to collect my passport.

I'm glad you've told me that, Jingthing, I was obviously mistaken.

Assuming that they tell me when I apply next month to come back the next day, would I apply separately

for the re-entry permit (i.e. the next day when I get my passport and extension back), or at the same time as applying for the retirement extension, so that they could both be picked up the next day?

Thanks.

I agree with Guderian - I have never seen mention before of anybody having to return the next day to collect their passports for a Retirement Extension.

The past 8 years my experience at Suan Phlu - the Officer inserts in the Passport the Extension stamp and details and initials it - the applicant is then directed to take their passport to the Senior Officer who authenticates it with his /her signature.

The whole process takes 15 to 20 mins.

So what happens at Pattaya / Jomtien?

Why is it necessary to leave the passport and collect it next day.

Is this common practise there?

Bill

I agree with Guderian - I have never seen mention before of anybody having to return the next day to collect their passports for a Retirement Extension.

The past 8 years my experience at Suan Phlu - the Officer inserts in the Passport the Extension stamp and details and initials it - the applicant is then directed to take their passport to the Senior Officer who authenticates it with his /her signature.

The whole process takes 15 to 20 mins.

So what happens at Pattaya / Jomtien?

Why is it necessary to leave the passport and collect it next day.

Is this common practise there?

Bill

My experience at Jomtien is that if you are there reasonably early in the day, your passport will be ready for collection later that day - probably in the early afternoon.

But next day, if you are later getting there.

I seem to recall that the same used to happen with re-entry permits but now you usually only have to wait a few minutes for the final processing. Maybe in the future the Jomtien folk will get around to dealing with retirement extensions similarly.

Why is it ALWAYS Pattaya and particularly Pattaya mail. Maybe they invent these rules just to sell more papers.

All of the other farang fishwraps traffic in the same kind of thing. But yes, it does sell papers, and if i were them, I would do more of the same.

Also Jomtien Immigration wanted a photocopy of both sides of my Bank ATM card. I had already removed some of the digits when I was making the photocopy but the lady official went to great pains to delete all of the numbers in front of me.

Pension at least 65K!!?? News to me, I didn't know there is a minimum pension figure. My UK State pension is less than 65K p.a., so I make it up to the 800K with cash lodged, and left untouched, in my Thai bank for at least 3 months prior to applying. When I renewed my retirement extension a couple of months ago, my UK Consul's letter confirmed my State pension, which as I said earlier, is below 65K. This was accepted by the Jomtien immigration official; in fact it was a copy of last year's one. I know we now have to have a new letter for every such application.

Been away weekend so sorry for delay in replying to earlier requests.

First time I had been asked to come back next day, we applied with documents at 0930 on the Thursday and were asked to come back at 1000 the next day. A numbered ticket was given to us by the Captain and we were told that we should just come to the desk, no need to press the button for a ticket. Did confuse me but did appear to me to be the normal process from now on.

Also I was asked for photocopies of original Non immi visa and first arrival visa into the country after issuance of the non immi visa. That was new, not been asked in previous years. Absolutely no interest in any forms of credit or investment or savings, just the 800,000 in the deposit book with appropriate letter from the bank.

Once we had picked up the passports we then applied for multi re-entry visa (had to take a ticket for that so extended our visit by 10 mins). The re-entry visa was stamped in the passport on the spot, we handed over the appropriate fee which (together with passports) was handed to the cashier who then passed onto the man behind her who called out our names within 5 mins. Now that was quick.

I must admit that I never got to ask about the 3 month rule, we actually picked up our passports from a trainee who was assisting a very busy immigration officer. I tried to speak with the guy who issued our re-entry visa but told me to take a ticket for the retirement officer again, gave up as quite a few in front of us. The shock of getting my visa without too much hassle after so much stress in the last few months watching rumours develop on this board made me just want to leave and get a drink.

The trips to immigration in Jomtien do unnerve me a little, I always feel that something will be wrong or something will change. I was happy that both I and my wife (UK citizen 38 years age) are settled for another year.

Why is it ALWAYS Pattaya and particularly Pattaya mail. Maybe they invent these rules just to sell more papers.

All of the other farang fishwraps traffic in the same kind of thing. But yes, it does sell papers, and if i were them, I would do more of the same.

Also Jomtien Immigration wanted a photocopy of both sides of my Bank ATM card. I had already removed some of the digits when I was making the photocopy but the lady official went to great pains to delete all of the numbers in front of me.

Pension at least 65K!!?? News to me, I didn't know there is a minimum pension figure. My UK State pension is less than 65K p.a., so I make it up to the 800K with cash lodged, and left untouched, in my Thai bank for at least 3 months prior to applying. When I renewed my retirement extension a couple of months ago, my UK Consul's letter confirmed my State pension, which as I said earlier, is below 65K. This was accepted by the Jomtien immigration official; in fact it was a copy of last year's one. I know we now have to have a new letter for every such application.

I should have said 65K p.m. not 65K p.a.

Today, I renewed my Retirement Visa at Pattaya Immigration --

I had several questions about the new procedures for which I had not previously been able to find adequate answers --

For whatever it's worth ( maybe nothing :o, these issues have been resolved as follows:

I was prepared with a photo-copy of both an image of a local Thai SCB ATM card ( without my name on the front, but with my signature on the back ) -- and a normal U.S. Credit Card with all the bells & whistles --

I included the copied SCB ATM images with my application packet-- with the last 8 digits on the front blacked out and ALL seven digits on the back image blacked out --

Nothing else was requested and they made no comment about what I submitted -- thus, yes, a local ATM card without a name on the front and pertinent data blacked out is apparently acceptable under the new edict --

A friend was in the queue ahead of me and likewise armed with two card images -- He also had the optional large cash deposit in the bank ( 800,000 Baht?, can't recall the required amount ) -- He was not asked for the card images -- thus, apparently only paupers with an embassy letter affirming their regular income are required to submit the ATM or Credit Card images

For my past two RV renewals ( 2005 and 2006 ), a SIGNED COPY of the Embassy Income Verification Letter was sufficient -- This year they confiscated the original letter, even though the same person who took the letter had told me in the past that a copy would be accepted up until the expiration date of my passport, which is the year 2014 --

Obviously this is a major change in policy which will necessitate buying a new Embassy letter each year ( Cost: US$30 ) and either a trip to the Embassy in Bangkok or a rendezvous with one of the Embassy outreach programs in a few major towns outside Bangkok -- ( my next quest will be to find out if it's possible to buy more than one embassy letter at a time to avoid a separate trip to the embassy each year )

In the past two years, I received my Visa renewal during the same early morning visit when I applied -- This year it was necessary to return at 4:00pm to pick up my passport and visa --

Life continues . . .

Obviously this is a major change in policy which will necessitate buying a new Embassy letter each year ( Cost: US$30 ) and either a trip to the Embassy in Bangkok or a rendezvous with one of the Embassy outreach programs in a few major towns outside Bangkok -- ( my next quest will be to find out if it's possible to buy more than one embassy letter at a time to avoid a separate trip to the embassy each year )

Can't this be done by post? It's a bit much expecting old codgers who live upcountry to make a yearly trip to the embassy in BKK just for a letter, isn't it?

Then again TIT...

---

"Can't this be done by post?" -- Highly doubtful, as you say TiT!

Such is life in this bizarre corner of the uncivilized 3rd world --

As my friend and I were discussing the senseless nature of the ATM/Credit Card requirement this morning and how it proves nothing as to "financial health" ( allegedly the announced purpose ) -- I couldn't help but wonder if any of the Thais in the office had even a fragment of a clue as to how ridiculous the new requirement is and what they would think if they actually woke up to nonsensical reality of it? :o

Can't this be done by post? It's a bit much expecting old codgers who live upcountry to make a yearly trip to the embassy in BKK just for a letter, isn't it?

Then again TIT...

---

The policy of taking the embassy letter started back in September,,,,,,,and if I understand previous postings the letter you get from your embassy is good for one year from the date you receive it. So in the case of someone living upcountry you can try to schedule your trip to see your friendly consulate general in your embassy sometime after your last visa extension and then your new income letter will be valid for use again the next year whenever you need to extend. In the case of the US Embassy they usually run outreach trips to Phuket, Pattaya and Chiang Mai about 3 times a year so it would be real easy to get a new letter then.

Not sure about other embassies, but the US Embassy notarizes the letter. Notarization requires that the notary witness the signature being applied to the page, so that'd be a bit tricky via mail.

there is a certain truth to the over the top financial requirements and the daily changes in documentation not to mention what may (not) be needed at the local level....

I don't see how 800,000 baht in the bank is "over the top"? Who in their right mind would retire with less than 30K US in the bank? much less at the age of 50... if you were to live to 80, that'd be 2500 baht per month to live on... poverty line, even in LOS...

Are you a legally married couple? What change of law? What requirement for two accounts of 800k? If you have a legal marriage only one party has to have a retirement extension of stay - the second person uses section 7.19 to get a matching extension of stay with no requirement for funds. I do not know of any change that prevents this.

Hi Lopburi, comment notes, this information was given to use by Siam legal, in a meeting that we had over exact requirements needed from our side, the first meeting was 1 x 800k, and then it changed to 2 x 800k after a change in the law (as we saw) back in either August or September this year, one for each partner. yes we are legally married