Udon Thani - Vientiane Turn Around Time

Anyone received a visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane recently. I am tentatively scheduled to go up there to get an education visa on the 10th of December.

I wondered if it's possible to fly BKK to UTH (Udon Thani), take a mini bus to the border, cross the bridge, get to Vientiane, turn in my passport the following morning, pick it up the day after that at 1:00 and make it back to Udon Thani in time to catch the 17:40 flight back to Bangkok?

The big question is; Is assuming you get your passport back close to 1PM, is 4 plus hours enough time to get from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane back to Udon for the flight back?

I realize I could easily stay another day in Vientiane, but the Air Asia flights from Udon to Bangkok leave the same time every day at 17:40 and I'd just as soon beat it back to the big city if possible.

I searched the forum and found hotels to stay at, what to do, not to do, but the timing is critical on this fast turn around trip, and that’s why I’m asking.

Anyone who’s recently received a visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (no matter the type) is welcome to respond.

Thanx in advance for any information. ..

Anyone received a visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane recently. I am tentatively scheduled to go up there to get an education visa on the 10th of December.

I wondered if it's possible to fly BKK to UTH (Udon Thani), take a mini bus to the border, cross the bridge, get to Vientiane, turn in my passport the following morning, pick it up the day after that at 1:00 and make it back to Udon Thani in time to catch the 17:40 flight back to Bangkok?

The big question is; Is assuming you get your passport back close to 1PM, is 4 plus hours enough time to get from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane back to Udon for the flight back?

I realize I could easily stay another day in Vientiane, but the Air Asia flights from Udon to Bangkok leave the same time every day at 17:40 and I'd just as soon beat it back to the big city if possible.

I searched the forum and found hotels to stay at, what to do, not to do, but the timing is critical on this fast turn around trip, and that’s why I’m asking.

Anyone who’s recently received a visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (no matter the type) is welcome to respond.

There's a bus from the main bus station in Vientiene, behind the day market (about 5 minutes by tuk tuk from the embassy) to Udon Thani at 2pm. I'm afraid I'm not certain how long it takes to get to Udon but as a guide I caught the bus from Vientiane to Nong Khai at 2.30pm and was in Nong Khai at 4pm so you could do it but it's cutting it fine. You have to buy a ticket from the office at the bus station but you won't be able to buy it in advance as you have to show your passport complete with visa so you'll need to be near the front of the queue at the embassy.

As an alternative, I caught the overnight train from Nong Khai to BKK at 6.20pm, gets into BKK at 6.30am.

:o

Enable emoticons?

Enable signature?

Enable email notification of replies? Airasia bkk-udon dep 16.15arr 17.15. Minivan service awaits at the airport (NOT airasias) cost 150 baht to the border taking 45 mins. Coming back I also advise the 6.20pm train from Nong Khai. T.Visas are not a real problem there - as far as any of us know as of yet!

you can fly to vientiane not sure if it will turn you round any quicker

Before you make too many detailed plans, you should be aware that the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane will be closed on Monday, December 10 for an official Thai holiday:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

True.You should change the date of the trip.

It's possible to catch the fight,with the train you'll be safer. :o

Thanx for the good information, I'll certainly look into taking the train back to BKK from Nong Khai as it seems less time sensitive.

I read the 10th was a holiday and the embassy was closed, but the flight arrives in Udon late in the afternoon on the 10th, so I'd planned to do visa things on the morning of the 11th. I don't know if that is asking for problems or not after they've been closed for a 'long weekend'.

Perhaps adjusting the days would work out better. Thanx again,

Application on the 11th should be fine, although it may be crowded due to the weekend/holiday just before. Get there early if you do that day. If you are free to change date I would make it 12 or 13 application.

Could anyone suggest a fast but not too expensive way back from Vientiane to Udon Thani.

I've already paid for my ticket with AirAsia (Udon to BKK), so it's important that I pick up my passport and make it to the airport to board my 17:40 flight.

I think that the only way to make it would be to take taxi from Embassy to border, cross, then have a car with driver waiting at the border once you crossed to take you to the Udon airport. Maybe not the cheapest way but in long run may save on extra nights hotel stay

Alternative would be taxi to border, cross, then tuk tuk to Nong Khai bus station. The buses Nong Khai to Udon are slow, they wait to get full prior to leaving and stop many times along the way. Once in Udon you will still need to get tuk tuk to airport.

Keg

Could anyone suggest a fast but not too expensive way back from Vientiane to Udon Thani.

I've already paid for my ticket with AirAsia (Udon to BKK), so it's important that I pick up my passport and make it to the airport to board my 17:40 flight.

If you have your PP early at the Thai Embassy,go to the bus station before 3pm,take the bus to Udon,a tuk-tuk to the Ubon Airport,with 150 Baht (and some luck) you should be fine. :o

13.00 get passport

13.10 share tuktuk to border, 150b

13.50 "check-out" Lao

14.20 "check-in" Thailand

14.50 take taxi from border to Udon, 500b

15.40 Udon Thani

I did that.

Thanks Abdulrahman and keg for your suggestions.

Hullupulo, your suggestion is a little more expensive, but it doesn't leave anything to chance. Thanks.

Was that a recent taxi price?

Edited by tropo

14.11, many man offering ride to Udon. First ask 700b, I show 500b. Got brand new Vigo and funny driver, he was going back home. Before he took two farang to border from Udon and they paid 1600b for that :o . Timetable can go wrong only when You "check-in" Thailand. Take Your place in queue and fill the form while You s l o w l y go to the counter.

14.11, many man offering ride to Udon. First ask 700b, I show 500b. Got brand new Vigo and funny driver, he was going back home. Before he took two farang to border from Udon and they paid 1600b for that :o . Timetable can go wrong only when You "check-in" Thailand. Take Your place in queue and fill the form while You s l o w l y go to the counter.

thanks for adding those details hullu