Great Drives In Thailand

jonniebkk

One of the great pleasures in life that I miss in living in Thailand is getting in the car and going for a scenic drive in the car. Not even having a real destination in mind but just driving for the sher pleasure of it and enjoying the scenery. Coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, there are many beautiful drives to do...driving up the twisties of the coastal highway 1, with its crashing seashore cliffs or driving through the mountains on the way to Yosemite. However, here in Thailand, the only remotely scenic (and assessible) drive I have done is up around Chang Mai (the Samoung-Hang Dong highway). Also, the driving around Phang Nga province near Phuket is also nice. Otherwise, all the other drives I have done are along dusty roads leading to nowwhere. There are no scenic coastal routes that I am aware of.

Are there any other nice scenic drives to be had...especially near the Eastern Seaboard?

From Nakhon Sri Thammerat to wards Chawang and the Chandi intersection on highway 41. I haven't got my road atlas to hand so I've no road No. I took that route recently. Also plenty of nice scenic drives in Ranong province. I know you said mainly Eastern seabord but... :o

One of the great pleasures in life that I miss in living in Thailand is getting in the car and going for a scenic drive in the car. Not even having a real destination in mind but just driving for the sher pleasure of it and enjoying the scenery. Coming from the San Francisco Bay Area, there are many beautiful drives to do...driving up the twisties of the coastal highway 1, with its crashing seashore cliffs or driving through the mountains on the way to Yosemite. However, here in Thailand, the only remotely scenic (and assessible) drive I have done is up around Chang Mai (the Samoung-Hang Dong highway). Also, the driving around Phang Nga province near Phuket is also nice. Otherwise, all the other drives I have done are along dusty roads leading to nowwhere. There are no scenic coastal routes that I am aware of.

Are there any other nice scenic drives to be had...especially near the Eastern Seaboard?

How about a bit north of the Eastern Seaboard?

Drive up to Rangsit, head east on Hwy 305 via Nakhon Nayok to Prachin Buri (the 2nd Prachin exit at the round-about).  There turn north on Hwy 3077 (depending on what map you're looking at) up the mountains through the Khao Yai park.  Down the north side via lots of resorts to Hwy 2, the Saraburi-Korat-Nong Khai highway.  Spend the night if you want, or make it a longish day and come back to Bangkok via Hwy 2.

Mac

Drive up to Rangsit, head east on Hwy 305 via Nakhon Nayok to Prachin Buri (the 2nd Prachin exit at the round-about).  There turn north on Hwy 3077 (depending on what map you're looking at) up the mountains through the Khao Yai park.  Down the north side via lots of resorts to Hwy 2, the Saraburi-Korat-Nong Khai highway.  Spend the night if you want, or make it a longish day and come back to Bangkok via Hwy 2.

Mac

2085696254_39e5bb380c.jpg

Budget Thailand have done all the work and come up with a series of fantastic "World Class Drives". The detail and tips are amazing & there's even opportunities presented for side-trips, recommended restaurant & hotels etc. The very best I've ever seen for Thailand.

Please have a look at http://www.budget.co.th/travel_worldclass.aspx from where you can download all the maps and instructions in various languages.

Have fun!

Budget Thailand have done all the work and come up with a series of fantastic "World Class Drives". The detail and tips are amazing & there's even opportunities presented for side-trips, recommended restaurant & hotels etc. The very best I've ever seen for Thailand.

Please have a look at http://www.budget.co.th/travel_worldclass.aspx from where you can download all the maps and instructions in various languages.

Great resource...for Thailand and many other countries too. Maybe this could be permanetly pinned somewhere as a reference resource.

Thanks again.

Are there any other nice scenic drives to be had...?

The new, almost empty, 120 road from Wang Nua (Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai) to Phayao offers waterfalls and beautiful mountain views, the last recommended stop before reaching the A-1 and Phayao is from a point (well marked with food stalls and toilets) 851 meters perched over Phayao valley with impresive views of Mount Bussaracam (+1,000 meters), Kwam (Lake) Phayao and Phayao city. Hope you have a clear day.

post-27211-1197294519_thumb.jpg

• 16 years later...

Hwy 2016, between 2216 and 2250, which we drove after leaving Khao Kho, Phetchabun to Loei,   

Actually we went to Nong Bua LamPhu, but you'll hit Loei first.

If in the neighborhood, worth taking, and very scenic.

• 2 weeks later...

Was going to post a few more, but really are too many.  Especially cutting through Doi Inthanon to Mae Chaem, then down the other way 108/106/??? and so on.   Just lovely.

North ...not during smog season, as you miss most, if not all the views.

South ... any time is good, stay outside the tourist areas though ... IMHO

NE ... again, not during smog season, although the Korat Plateau is pretty boring, except getting up on to it, and the edges of it.

HAPPY TRAVELS  ... Be Safe

I love these threads...... 16 years later, how cool is that, an old thread resurrected. 

The drive down the Sukhumvit, Rayong to Cambodia is a must do. 

The beaches as you get closer to the border, the narrowist point in Thailand, fantastic view. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I love these threads...... 16 years later, how cool is that, an old thread resurrected. 

The drive down the Sukhumvit, Rayong to Cambodia is a must do. 

The beaches as you get closer to the border, the narrowist point in Thailand, fantastic view. 

There's another similar thread, but I couldn't find it when searching.

Then I started this one a while back, may interest some that get O&A.  Some suggestions to start with, can add their own interests when researching.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The problem with just taking a drive here is I'm not able to enjoy the drive as most of my concentration is on the road and the dangers around. In Calif I'd do the fun drives, here not so much.

Could not agree more. Just back from a 2500 mile road trip all over California and Southern Oregon. Bliss indeed, here its just concentrate and pray. Not easy to just pull over and have a look at sites either. Yet I still enjoy getting out in the car and exploring here.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The problem with just taking a drive here is I'm not able to enjoy the drive as most of my concentration is on the road and the dangers around. In Calif I'd do the fun drives, here not so much.

Don't tailgate, and drive somewhere close to the speed limit when practical, makes for a relaxing drive.

Chosing right locations, routes and timing helps.   We spent the night at Ratchaburi.  Not because it was planned, but because I didn't want to drive in the Saturday BKK to Hua Hin weekender's traffic.  We'll do that today/Sunday, BKK - HH - Home, when they are all going the other way :coffee1:

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

If you want a real white knuckle experience in Thailand, drive to Pilok village.  Winding mountain roads like Wyoming or N Cali, but with unmarked washouts and blind curves and idiots passing each other, completely oblivious to what's around the bend.

The destination was very nice, revealing to me a side of Thailand that I'd never seen.  Mostly campers, reminding me of the great community you'd find in campgrounds and national parks back home.  But the drive up...  And back...  Crazy.

Also found a great drive from Kanchanaburi to 3 Pagodas, along the lake (I forget the name).  Gorgeous scenery and a lot less white knuckle driving.  Stopped occasionally for a night in the national park (Bom Pee, I think is the name) Nice rustic cabins right on the lake, reasonably priced.  Also worthwhile to duck off the main road toward the lake, just for the view.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you want a real white knuckle experience in Thailand, drive to Pilok village.  Winding mountain roads like Wyoming or N Cali, but with unmarked washouts and blind curves and idiots passing each other, completely oblivious to what's around the bend.

The destination was very nice, revealing to me a side of Thailand that I'd never seen.  Mostly campers, reminding me of the great community you'd find in campgrounds and national parks back home.  But the drive up...  And back...  Crazy.

Also found a great drive from Kanchanaburi to 3 Pagodas, along the lake (I forget the name).  Gorgeous scenery and a lot less white knuckle driving.  Stopped occasionally for a night in the national park (Bom Pee, I think is the name) Nice rustic cabins right on the lake, reasonably priced.  Also worthwhile to duck off the main road toward the lake, just for the view.

Yes Pilok is a nice drive I guess,i did it a few times,once by car and a few times on motorbike.

Too bad they are improving the road so much.

Did you drive down to Somsak mining?Easy to get in but hard to get out,i do not think the geust house is open any more but still very nice there.

• Like 1