Importing European Car

tmd5855

Gradually moving all my bits and pieces to thailand. Wondering what to do with my old 1991 BMW 7. It is in immaculate condition, been maintained by myself and keeping it up to the mark. Find that top price I could get in the UK is 600GPB???

Its got all the toys etc. My real query is,,,,,,,,,, would the cost of shipping it out from the UK + import tax/duty be greater than buying a car of similar spec and condition?

If anyone knows or can advise, would be very grateful

I think the general consensus is that it is not advisable. I seem to remember a thread about an old UK car and it was stuck rotting at customs as they (the customs mafia) wanted x times its worth in "taxes" even though it was admitted that the value was far far less.

Not sure what an equivalent one would cost here and I bet you cannot get one with the same service record and maintenance history either.

Repeat after me:-

I will not attempt to import a vehicle into Thailand.

Truly mate, it's not worth the hassle and expense, sell it and buy beer. Get a new pickup here and be happy :o

Repeat after me:-

Truly mate, it's not worth the hassle and expense, sell it and buy beer. Get a new pickup here and be happy :o

Trust Crossy. He knows what he is talking about.

Gradually moving all my bits and pieces to thailand. Wondering what to do with my old 1991 BMW 7. It is in immaculate condition, been maintained by myself and keeping it up to the mark. Find that top price I could get in the UK is 600GPB???

Its got all the toys etc. My real query is,,,,,,,,,, would the cost of shipping it out from the UK + import tax/duty be greater than buying a car of similar spec and condition?

There is a long answer and a short one,they both end with the same advise, dont bother, it will drive you mad !

This is where the fun begins. 3. The importation of used/secondhand motor vehicles and motorcycle requires an import permit from the Foreign Trade Department prior to the importation. For more information, please contact ? 02-5474804.

It must be done, as well as permission from Customs at your port of entry, before shipping the vehicle.