Who Like And Eat Jok

NamKAheng

Who like and eat jok?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is more like rice porridge than soup. it is the Thai version of congee.

I love the stuff, especially with a little pork and egg in it. I bring some packs with me when i head back west. mmmmm

I had some congee on the airplane recently, it was disgusting, but hey airline food is a roll of the dice.

wouldn't mind knowing how to make this as my son is nearly 7 months & I want him to start having some home made thai foods to go with the home made british stuff (lamb casserole etc) he already eats. my hubby would appriciate it too no doubt, so if anyone can give me a recipe it wold be appriciated :o

wouldn't mind knowing how to make this as my son is nearly 7 months & I want him to start having some home made thai foods to go with the home made british stuff (lamb casserole etc) he already eats. my hubby would appriciate it too no doubt, so if anyone can give me a recipe it wold be appriciated :o

My wife just gets the instant packs from the grocery store. you just boil it and add fried ground pork and stir in an egg.

It's too easy.

Basic Jok recipe

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 cup long grain rice

9 cups water

1 teaspoon salt

PREPARATION:

In a large pot, bring the water and rice to a boil.

When the rice is boiling, turn the heat down to medium low. Place the lid on the pot, tilting it to allow steam to escape (the same as you would do when making cooked rice.

Cook on medium low to low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rice has the thick, creamy texture of porridge (1 - 1 1/4 hours).

You can add veggies, herbs, meat, egg or whatever you or your baby fancies.

I always have jok in the morning when in Thailand. But not much on the liver or salt egg....The best jok I ever had was in the morning market in Mae Hong Song. She put some small chunks of pork and sliced mushrooms in hers. Boy howdy it's good! Ginger, Puckit Dong, and crispy fried noodles on the side.

*j*

Edited by Chung noi

well according to husband, who is something of a food nazi where my cooking is concerned :o thinks it is a really good effort & good taste (trust me this is high praise indeed)

I followed goldenbeads instructions & added in the last half hour some minced pork, thinly sliced spring onion, mushroom, peas, courgette & then cracked a couple of eggs into it.

I fried some chopped garlic & added a couple of bits to the babies portion then zapped it a bit in the blender & a tiny splash of maggi & we were good to go. Boy liked it, hubby liked it (after adding more flavours) but all in all quite a success :D

Gonna go for chicken liver next time instead of pork as I think it will give a lot more flavour to the soup.

well according to husband, who is something of a food nazi where my cooking is concerned :o thinks it is a really good effort & good taste (trust me this is high praise indeed)

I followed goldenbeads instructions & added in the last half hour some minced pork, thinly sliced spring onion, mushroom, peas, courgette & then cracked a couple of eggs into it.

I fried some chopped garlic & added a couple of bits to the babies portion then zapped it a bit in the blender & a tiny splash of maggi & we were good to go. Boy liked it, hubby liked it (after adding more flavours) but all in all quite a success :D

Gonna go for chicken liver next time instead of pork as I think it will give a lot more flavour to the soup.

To add flavor, try using pork or chicken stock to replace the water in the recipe.

I'm not a joke person but i like kao tom kui more. Kind of similar but not quite the same. Joke people eat it in the morning but kao tom kui they tend to eat late at night. Joke is a little lighter then kao tom kui best suit for the morning.

post-51325-1197315641_thumb.jpg

You can go with alot of things with kao tom kui that you like -meat or veggies.

post-51325-1197316257_thumb.jpg

Or maybe a little simple one. :o

ohhh good tip pumpuiman, thought something was missing but didn't know what, think chicken stck will give it that bit of extra flavour, I make my own chicken stock (low salt) & have a batch in the frezer, will use that next time :o

I love the stuff, and use to eat it all the time at that modern diner in Chiang Mai. They have a modern take on it with pureed carrots and veggies - incredibly healthy. I'm going to try and make my own tonight with the tips from this thread.