Retire/teach

I am a US citizen, 61 years old. I have experience and certification as an EFL instructor. I want to retire in Thailand and teach. My wishes, in order of preference, are:

1. Teach English on a volunteer basis for a few months with possibly supplementing income by private teaching. I have an agency in mind that needs volunteer help. At some point I would roll into a paying teaching position, not at the volunteer agency.

2. Teach English as a paying position at an institution.

3. Retire and teach privately as an income supplement.

I can easily make the financial requirements for a retiree but really want to teach.

What are the pros and cons of each option?

Thank you for the comments.

Tony

Number one sounds like the best option. Unless you are really desparate for a little extra cash ($600-$800 p/m probably) then number 2 is not really a good option as you will have very little free time.

Number 3 is possible, but there are thousands of English teachers here scraping by on the above income, I am sure if there was the demand they would all go private.

Enjoy your retirement and do a little voluntary work from time to time.

1. Not legal regardless of what visa you have. You require a work permit to work. You will not obtain a work permit on a retirement visa/extension of stay.

2. Doable with non immigrant visa and then extension of stay for work. When you get tired of working you can then change to retirement.

3. Not legal.

1. Not legal regardless of what visa you have. You require a work permit to work. You will not obtain a work permit on a retirement visa/extension of stay.

2. Doable with non immigrant visa and then extension of stay for work. When you get tired of working you can then change to retirement.

3. Not legal.

Lopburi,

I bow to your knowledge as I have seen many of your posts regarding visas etc. Can you really not do voluntary work without a work permit? Would this not put many of the clubs/ societies here in an awkward position?

This is a serious question as I have a friend who may be effected by this.

Thanks

My own experience of 14 years as a retiree in Thailand is that if your "volunteer" work is seen by someone as keeping a Thai person from having a paying job doing the same thing you are doing, then a disgruntled Thai individual might create a lot of problem for you. However, if you are simply helping out in a way everyone in your area is happy with, problably no trouble.

I have heard that even those that came to help in the Tsunami disaster were required to get work permits, so the "volunteer" issue is not black and white.

Thanks for the good information.

Suppose I entered as a retiree and just did volunteer work in a position where I was not in conflict with a Thai. Then, in a few months, I was offered a paying position as a teacher. At that time, can I get a work permit without too much trouble?

Tony

Suppose I entered as a retiree and just did volunteer work in a position where I was not in conflict with a Thai. Then, in a few months, I was offered a paying position as a teacher. At that time, can I get a work permit without too much trouble?

Tony

If you entered as a retiree, as lopburi3 has already stated, volunteer work would be illegal. A few months later, you would have to convert (or give up) your retirement visa and get a B work visa. How much trouble is it to get a work permit? It all depends. I retired, came to Thailand, taught full time, etc., and never got a work permit. They're easy to get if you find a school that wants you badly enough to put in the paperwork.

Gentlemen, as al as I have experienced: Holding from a non immigrant "O" the retirement extension (800,000 Baht base), I started an employment in Rayong as an engineer and had my work permit within 10 days?! I think that it depends where you are, what you are doing and for whom you are working. :o

Tony

If you entered as a retiree, as lopburi3 has already stated, volunteer work would be illegal. A few months later, you would have to convert (or give up) your retirement visa and get a B work visa. How much trouble is it to get a work permit? It all depends. I retired, came to Thailand, taught full time, etc., and never got a work permit. They're easy to get if you find a school that wants you badly enough to put in the paperwork.

This is true.

I can,t imagine though why you would want to work illegally?

Needs checking but,

I had always thought you could not work on a retirement visa, but I was told that it is possible to have a work permit on a retirement visa.

I know no more other than you should investigate and get it answered officially by a visa company or immigration.

If you want to retire and you have the required funds to do so in Thailand then by all means do so!

However it sems as though you are looking for some EXTRA income...

There are TOO many so called teachers here inThailand and I have mett a few that to me could not even begin to teach English.

I too am an American but these guys (not Gals) seem to be scam artist! I believe and KNOW for a fact that alot of these guys bought their credientials. What a shame.

I am a retired U.S. Marine not old enough for a retirement visa but I do have a pension from the U.S. Gov. so I am fine here.

But due to the visa rules I started working in Bangkok and have since moved up to the General Manager's position so I can do a service for others legally!

I say if you are not who you try to claim you are and you are not CIA then GO HOME!

I am sick of these so called teachers or anyone else who LIES, to get his way in life!

If you are one of these guys then you are "TRASH" and you will be found out! I'm not picking on the Poster but the other IDIOTS that are already here in Thailand and playing a role.

KhunDan

Khun Dan, how about retired USAF? How about retired IRS? If we have a real degree, real TEFL certificate that we earned, and real experience teaching, may we please teach in Thailand, if that's all right with you?

Khun Dan is getting testy.

Yes, I have a BA and a Masters, two certificates in EFL (and working on another), and experience teaching ESL at the one-on-one and the classroom levels. None of the degrees/certifications was bought, although I certainly paid a fair amount getting them.

If you need some more credentials, I am a Project Management Professional (through the Project Management Institute) and a Private Pilot (through the FAA). There are probably a few more lurking in my background somewhere, but I think I have made my point.

When I used the term "retire," I did not mean moving to Thailand and doing nothing. I enjoy teaching English and it is something I do well. I don't have the luxury of a continuing income via a pension, but I do have some money invested. I would like to supplement it in some manner and teaching seems to be the most viable option. I do expect to do some teaching on a volunteer basis because, for personal reasons, I feel that I owe the country a debt.

I agree that there are some people in the field that should not be working. That is true in any field, including the US Marine Corps (I was Army). It is up to those in the field to weed out the undesirables, not close the field to those who are honestly interested in doing the best they can.

I'm drifting off topic but I couldn't let your remarks go unanswered.

Thanks to all who did answer me with some valuable information.

Tony

Needs checking but,

I had always thought you could not work on a retirement visa, but I was told that it is possible to have a work permit on a retirement visa.

I know no more other than you should investigate and get it answered officially by a visa company or immigration.

My guess is people are confusing matters here. I could be wrong but I am of the understanding that it is not possible to get a work permit on a retirement visa. Those that claim otherwise may be getting a work permit on a non imm O extended under the basis of retirement.

Remember the non imm O-A is different than the non imm O.

Possible ??

A year or two ago, there were still reports of O retirement visa holders being given work permits without requiring a change in visa status. According to reports, that has ended. I suspect we shouldn't encourage retirees to come here on a retirement visa with the expectation they can get a work permit or change visas easily. I've been on an O retirement for a couple of years now, and can't see any advantage to taking a part time teaching job. It's very difficult to get a WP when teaching part time, at least outside of Bangkok. Retirement extensions last you for a year, without having to do visa runs. Becoming unemployed while on an extended work visa cancels your visa and requires you to leave the country within 7 days, generally. To me, it's not worth the hassle.

Maybe I'm wrong.