Asus Eee Pc

mac.wheeler

Does anyone know exactly what kind of linux comes on this machine? And if switching to Ubuntu would be a big deal? Also, did someone just say you get get a version with 1GB of RAM?

Xandros is the linux distribution tuned for eee. When I ordered mine they offered to put in 1GB for an additional 690 baht, well worth it. It can except up to 2 GB but felt the premium cost difference didn't warrant it.

I just finished slipstreaming XP with SP3 and fine tuned what I wanted installed. Ended up with a 300 MB CD and after installation additional programs, remove pagefile, added the eee PC mainboard drivers and have 1.7 GB remaining on the SSD. Installed some additional programs on the SD card and attached my 120GB mini USB hard drive and the system is very impressive. Boots fast, program starts faster then my desktop at the moment, but not a lot of clutter in the XP installation.

Did run into a problem with the audio driver not wanting to be recognized and had to do several things manually to get it to work. Possibly a result of a minimal XP install though on a forum where other members had the same problem, they tried slipstream version and full version with the same issue. But everything is working fine now.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anybody seen an Asus EEE PC for sale anywhere here in Thailand?

Thanks in advance.

For those of us in the northern 'burbs, Amy Computer shop at Future Park Rangsit has one on display, a white one with 4 GB memory.  Flyer attached.

The shop is on the top, 3rd, floor, back right hand corner, south end of the mall. He's the lone hardware fixer upper shop remaining after the big remodling 3-4 years back, does a good business, speaks good English.  Saves going on down to ZEER Street and the awkward drive back home to Klong 10.

Mac

post-32650-1198111571_thumb.jpg

So the device is still practical when you only get 3.5 hours battery life out of it then?

Sounds like something I'll take a look at next time I'm in Thailand hopefully they'll have the bigger screen version out by then.

Here's hoping Apple enters the market in January ;-) Obviously that will be a completely different price point.

Does anyone know exactly what kind of linux comes on this machine? And if switching to Ubuntu would be a big deal? Also, did someone just say you get get a version with 1GB of RAM?

Xandros is the linux distribution tuned for eee. When I ordered mine they offered to put in 1GB for an additional 690 baht, well worth it. It can except up to 2 GB but felt the premium cost difference didn't warrant it.

I just finished slipstreaming XP with SP3 and fine tuned what I wanted installed. Ended up with a 300 MB CD and after installation additional programs, remove pagefile, added the eee PC mainboard drivers and have 1.7 GB remaining on the SSD. Installed some additional programs on the SD card and attached my 120GB mini USB hard drive and the system is very impressive. Boots fast, program starts faster then my desktop at the moment, but not a lot of clutter in the XP installation.

Did run into a problem with the audio driver not wanting to be recognized and had to do several things manually to get it to work. Possibly a result of a minimal XP install though on a forum where other members had the same problem, they tried slipstream version and full version with the same issue. But everything is working fine now.

The audio driver is a known problem, a better option is to install the generic realtek driver fromt he realtek site, that way you don't get the blaoted install that comes with the EEE including that dodgy realtek mixer application.

My final installation looked like this:

Strealined XP install + All updates and addons from windows update

OpenOffice full install

Outlook 2007 (for my exchange account)

The GIMP

Daemon Tools

WinRAR

SmartFTP

Getright Pro

Tuneup utilities 2007

CCleaner

AVF Free

Microsoft Defender

DivX Codec

The whole lot fits on the 4GB SSD internal, so that leaves me the entire 4GB SD Card for data storage.

A perfect little machine for updating the content of my various websites ont he move.

A perfect little machine for updating the content of my various websites ont he move.

Did you have any problems with the ASUS wireless utilities? I couldn't seem to get it running, seemed some application was missing. The Client app is there, but could find no way to use search for wireless networks with it. Ended up using the Microsoft wireless apps to get it to work.

Did you have any problems with the ASUS wireless utilities? I couldn't seem to get it running, seemed some application was missing. The Client app is there, but could find no way to use search for wireless networks with it. Ended up using the Microsoft wireless apps to get it to work.

I used the ASUS setup utility from the CD (after copying it to a USB stick, my whoel install was done without a CD-ROM drive) it first installs the ACPI driver then you just choose all the drivers yuo want to install (I ticked everything but sound) and it does them all automatically rebooting whenever it needs to then continuing, no problems at all.

itching to buy this new gadget. works brilliantly.

The more things I try out on it the more impressed I get. Hooked it up to the VGA port on my 42" plasma, connected my 120GB mini USB drive and played movies perfectly. Installed UltraVNC so I could remote control it from my main PC via wireless, easier to install software from my networked file server. Added a Bluetooth USB dongle and can connect to the Internet via my mobile phone (in case wireless isn't available)

Playing movies on the local screen is crystal clear and smooth. The only minor complaint is the sound is a little tinny, but very usable. Can easily add headphones or external speaker if desired. The webcam works well, haven't tried it with conferencing yet.

itching to buy this new gadget. works brilliantly.

The more things I try out on it the more impressed I get. Hooked it up to the VGA port on my 42" plasma, connected my 120GB mini USB drive and played movies perfectly. Installed UltraVNC so I could remote control it from my main PC via wireless, easier to install software from my networked file server. Added a Bluetooth USB dongle and can connect to the Internet via my mobile phone (in case wireless isn't available)

Playing movies on the local screen is crystal clear and smooth. The only minor complaint is the sound is a little tinny, but very usable. Can easily add headphones or external speaker if desired. The webcam works well, haven't tried it with conferencing yet.

tywais!! stop doing this to me :o lol.

anyplace in chiang mai recommend to go have a look ? i went to IT place near changpuek but wasn't too impress with the service factor!. Airport plaza has it?

USB sticks stick out so not really an elegant option.

I've seen fast, high-capacity USB Flash drives intended for readyBoost in CM with right-angle plugs. The drives are flush against the case when plugged in (and likely covering the neighboring ports :o ). Not as slick as using a card reader slot, but another option to consider. I've just tried to find them online with no luck. If you're interested I can find the maker next time I'm in computer plaza.

Bought one 3 weeks ago Pantip BKK, pearl white, 4G, cam, 512MB, including VAT = 12700Baht. Upgraded to full desktop.

Only one word: fantastic!

second that,

everything works wifi lan usbs ..

furthermore saw a mod for touch screen on the net for about 90 bucks... coming soon

looked at it again today. find the screen a little small though. nonetheless nice. just wondering if there is any laptop that comes close to this in terms of price? size definitely not possible this small without a hdd. what about something around 12" for the display and priced below 20k? anything out there ? by acer or HP or SVOA?

something cheap and practicable.

what about something around 12" for the display and priced below 20k? anything out there ? by acer or HP or SVOA?

HP Compaq Presario V3621AU for about 19k with 14.1" screen with AMD 3600+ 2.0GHz CPU

HP Compaq Presario C715TU about same price with 15.4" but Celeron 1.73GHz CPU

Acer Aspire 4315-100508Mi also about 19k with 14.1" and Celeron 1.86GHz CPU

Lenovo G400 (Core Duo T2080 1.73GHz, 512MB, 120GB, DVD-RW, 14.1") about 20k

Seems 12" are in the mini-notebook region which seem to have premium prices to them from what I've seen.

For example: Sony VAIO VGN-TZ16SN (Core2 Duo U7500 1.06GHz, 1GB,80GB, DVD+/-RW DL/RAM Dive, WXGA 11.1'', Vista Business) is 69k. :o

There are 13" ~1.8kg notebooks by Acer and HP that are around 23-25k. They use celerons, of course, but otherwise are full-fledged notebooks.

I think I'll wait for the next iteration of this. The screen is too small (the black bars to the sides are irritating) and the capacity could be better. For now, I'm going to get one of the aforementioned Acer/HP notebooks.

Sorry, but I can't held my breath:

What the h.... is the reason to rave this fantastic machine with this holey op sys from Redmont, US?

Already the built-in Xandros-Linux is working perfectly with the given hardware, not to mention that one can use different derivates of Linux, also there is already eeeXbuntu ready for download, especially built for this nice pocket-PC.

IMHO this machine is (among other things) specially made for surfing the web hassle-free, without setting up monstrous firewalls, spyware-catcher, trojan-detectors and whatever else it needs to surf the net with "Redmonts best".

Regards

Siamshot

Sorry, but I can't held my breath:

What the h.... is the reason to rave this fantastic machine with this holey op sys from Redmont, US?

Already the built-in Xandros-Linux is working perfectly with the given hardware, not to mention that one can use different derivates of Linux, also there is already eeeXbuntu ready for download, especially built for this nice pocket-PC.

IMHO this machine is (among other things) specially made for surfing the web hassle-free, without setting up monstrous firewalls, spyware-catcher, trojan-detectors and whatever else it needs to surf the net with "Redmonts best".

Regards

Siamshot

Thats right. i particularly would go for ubuntu (eeeXbuntu) if i had the EEE PC. lightweight and fantastic Linux OS.

Gutsy for EEE PC

Anyone able to give realistic battery life figures? By the by Tywais, there's a new {Asian region specific} version of the Compaq 1900 series, 12.1" screen, which is said to be around 40K.

Regards

I watched 5 episodes of Lost on the sleeper train last week, so that's over 3.5 hours with the display constantly refreshing, SSD accessing and speakers working.

Bought one 3 weeks ago Pantip BKK, pearl white, 4G, cam, 512MB, including VAT = 12700Baht. Upgraded to full desktop.

Only one word: fantastic!

I thought it might be an interesting device to use as a media center PC. Have you tried any movies on it, especially if connected to an external monitor? Speed issues, etc. All my movies are on an external USB drive and connected to a full size PC which I would prefer to free up for other uses. Also, would be easy to disconnect it and carry it with me when I need a travel computer.

The 900MHz processor will let it down a little as a media PC.

Mpeg 2 should be fine, and Mpeg-4 (Divx/Xvid) will probably be fine for most files at standard def, but stutter for others depending on the bit rate it's encoded at. H.264 is probably a non-starter on anything not encoded down to Ipod resolutions.

(The issue would be with the resolution and/or bitrate the file is encoded at for mpeg4 files, not the output resolution.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can somebody tell us which is the price of the Asus EeePc 4G now in Bangkok ?

Here in Pattaya (Tukom) shops advertise it at 13.500 bahts (and 11.900 for the 4-Surf)

Best price seen was is IT-CITY (12.733 bahts) but they do not have it since christmas

and - curiously - say that they will not have the EeePc any more... ???

Interested to known actual prices in Pantip...

Thanks

Pattaya46

The rumour mill is saying that they'll be bringing out an 8.9 inch screen version. Asus plans to make an announcement about their next generation Asus Eee, on January 7th, 2008. If, it becomes fact, and they do bring out a larger screen, then I may be tempted. Right now my tired, old eyes couldn't face a little 7 inch screen.