Not 50 Yet.

Hello Everyone,

i am 36 year old female. i would like to retire to thailand but i am not 50 years old yet as that is what seems to qualify people for the retirement visas.

Does anyone know if i can get any kind of retirement visa to stay in the country at least 1 year at a time at my age if i do not wish to work or set up a business? i have good funds to live on, so i don't need to work. i do not plan to work, and i do not plan to marry a thai person, just want to retire. i know if i invest 10 million baht, i can get a permanent visa which i can do but i wonder if there is a cheeper way of going about it.

please, any suggestions would be most welcomed.

thank you

amelia

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. There is no visa category that fits your needs.

Sad but true. :o

You could enrole in an officail langauge course which would enable you to apply for a one year study visa, but that of course is only a temporary solution. How many years you could do this I have no idea, but I'd probably not reply on it as definitive route as rules will no doubt change along the line.

thank you for your replies guys,

so if i put the 10,000 million Baht into a government bank, is that a guarrantied way to stay in the country?

or is it iffy? has anyone done that? as well, are thai government banks safe and secure? or i can loose my money rather easily?

any suggestions would be most welcomed.

amelia

Hello Everyone,

i am 36 year old female. i would like to retire to thailand but i am not 50 years old yet as that is what seems to qualify people for the retirement visas.

Does anyone know if i can get any kind of retirement visa to stay in the country at least 1 year at a time at my age if i do not wish to work or set up a business? i have good funds to live on, so i don't need to work. i do not plan to work, and i do not plan to marry a thai person, just want to retire. i know if i invest 10 million baht, i can get a permanent visa which i can do but i wonder if there is a cheeper way of going about it.

please, any suggestions would be most welcomed.

thank you

amelia

You could become a student at the Walen School of Thai, not expensive, one year at a time stay ( you will need to make an extension every 90 days in the country), no need to do any visa runs, If you plan to retire here then learning Thai is always a good idea. Contact us if you need more information. \

Walen School, Mac

Thank you for your replies guys,

so if i put the 10,000 million Baht into a government bank, is that a guarrantied way to stay in the country?

or is it iffy? has anyone done that? as well, are thai government banks safe and secure? or i can loose my money rather easily?

any suggestions would be most welcomed.

amelia

I know someone who put 40m in the bank.. He also 'bought' PR status etc.. That was all a few years back.

Thai banks have no capital insurance, if they fold (as they nearly did in 97) you lose it.. Plus they are amaturish at best, I personally cleaned out my ex wifes private account (after she died) without authorisation and my buddy had an accidental 2 million credited to his once (we emptied it in cash but he got cold feet and gave it back.. Fun couple of days).. Another mate has had a couple of inexplicable 50k withdrawals that niether the bank or the police will help with.. I wouldnt put anything more than spending money in one.

Currently you can fly to a friendly consul once every 15 months (one year + 90 days) and get a visa.. Pretty easy to fly to Oz once a year and cheaper than all the ducking and diving so many do. Then just visa run every 90 days.

To those that know, what is the 'special investment visa' amount these days ?? Is it really now 100m ??

i read that it is 10 million baht nowdays... it really sucks that one can not invest the money securely, i would hate to loose all that doe one day.

thats really a shame. i really would hate to do the 90 day runs as well, stressful it seams. it has to constantly be on your mind that you got to make a run... that sucks....

oh well, i guess there is panama... i think its easier to get a permanent stay there.... and i hear the beaches are nice....

Hello Everyone,

amelia

You have a problem that many would be glad to inherit. :o

To Mac Walen,

Hi Sir,

i wanted to know how much does the school costs per year to enroll and how long i can keep re- enrolling? and as well, is that a language school? and as well, if i am a terrible student and do not show up 99% of the time, can i still continue to be enrolled?

please let me know

amelia

i read that it is 10 million baht nowdays... it really sucks that one can not invest the money securely, i would hate to loose all that doe one day.

thats really a shame. i really would hate to do the 90 day runs as well, stressful it seams. it has to constantly be on your mind that you got to make a run... that sucks....

oh well, i guess there is panama... i think its easier to get a permanent stay there.... and i hear the beaches are nice....

I think you can put the money in Thai Gov bonds also.. Whether you consider that 'securely' or not is up to you..

I made 30 - 35% return on my assets last year.. Putting 10m of that into a lock up costs me >3m per year.. Easier to buy an elite card even if it may not last..

I am in almost the same shoes as you, have money enough to stay anywhere and not work but am only 34 so no chance of a real long stay visa, so I just go get non imm O's from friendly consuls.. I tend to vacation / travel a bit, and a city break to sing, or a hop to PI / Bali or something for a holiday isnt such hardship if I dont have anything planned. One of the good things living here is lots of places around asia to go check out and it gets me off my butt to go do it every few months, it seems like a negative but its actually not so bad. Sailed on down to langkawi mid summer, thats a nice way to visa run :o !!

not sure which of "my problems" someone would want to inherit?? i assure you, i worked hard for my money, i just want to retire now... and it seems thailand mignt not be the place afterall....

No as your finding Thailand is surprisingly hard to stay in, its easier for me to go and stay in almost any 1st world country than it is here. Let alone similar developing nations.

To Mac Walen,

Hi Sir,

i wanted to know how much does the school costs per year to enroll and how long i can keep re- enrolling? and as well, is that a language school? and as well, if i am a terrible student and do not show up 99% of the time, can i still continue to be enrolled?

please let me know

amelia

I cant answer for Marc 100%.. But I understand no attendance = no extension.. Plus (as I understand it) you have to go personally to get an extension every 90 days anyway.. almost as much hassle as a visa run IMO without any of the nice travel upside.

LivinLos,

Do you know if i can buy thai stock for 10m ? or real estate? would that qualify as well by chance?

i am not lazy, but having to take trips when i don't want to is aggravating.

i kind of want to settle down in a quite place and paint and not be destrubed by all the nonsence...

i considered Malaysia for sure, however because it is mostly a muslim country, i heard there have been a lot of kidnappings of people from US. i am not american by birth, but unfortunately i have US passport and live in NY at the moment so i feel i could be a traget.

LivinLos,

Do you know if i can buy thai stock for 10m ? or real estate? would that qualify as well by chance?

i am not lazy, but having to take trips when i don't want to is aggravating.

i kind of want to settle down in a quite place and paint and not be destrubed by all the nonsence...

No I dont think equities qualify..

You cannot legally own land so thats a spanner in that plan.. Used to be a condo investment did qualify but that was taken away.

Your only avenue if you really wont bend a little is buying an elite card.. 1m baht plus commission is not so bad if you dont mind tieing up 10m.. I see that as a 3m cost per annum !!

i considered Malaysia for sure, however because it is mostly a muslim country, i heard there have been a lot of kidnappings of people from US. i am not american by birth, but unfortunately i have US passport and live in NY at the moment so i feel i could be a traget.

Wherever you heard or read that was giving you totally wrong information.

A lot of kidnappings of US persons ?? dont know about 'a lot' ?!?!

Have you lived in asia at all yet ?? Starting to sound like you dont yet know the wood from the trees.. Come and have an extende3d stay before diving into anything.

To LivinLos

what is that elite card everyone is talking about? is that a somesort of memebership where it allows you to stay in thailand?

do you still have to make 90day visa runs with it?

It would help your cause if you searched out some info..

The Thailand elite scheme is for high net worth people, you buy a lifetime membership for 1m baht and gain some perks one of which is a 5 year visa with 90 day reporting or extension (everyone has to report every 90 days anyway !! Even on a long stay visa).. I think it also has some kind of annual fee now also.

Other perks are some golf discounts, some massage discounts, and airport car services.. To be honest tho I see little value in any of the perks except the visa.

Edited by LivinLOS

well, i been to thailand 3 years ago and liked it.

regarding malaysia, if you go on internet and do a search on current conditions, talk of kidnappings is what comes up.

i can even send you links of talk of kidnappings in southern part of Thailand of americans because of large muslim population.... if that is a mistake that it would be good to know.

but i as well belong to a panama chat forum and someone who has recently came from singapore told me of a story of some american young couple got kidnapped in malaysia....

so i don't know what to think.... i am just relying on what i hear...

amelia