Americans Single Males Returning To The Us From Thailand

Jingthing

Americans, "welcome home" OR "spread em"?  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have never had a real problem going thru customs – Seattle, Minneapolis, Detroit, Chicago, New York…. Not that I have been handled with kid gloves or anything but generally speaking I understand the less than gentle treatment that I have gotten sometimes.

And of course they are going to target certain people and give certain people different treatment, single males travel from Thailand – no brainer that you move up the list of likely search candidates. Oh my god they searched my laptop, and my camera to look over the pictures/video’s – big farkn’ deal.

Sure some of the folks that work for customs or immigration are control freaks, but there are also some real knuckleheads traveling from LOS that cause their own problems in how they respond to the folks asking the questions.

If they wanted to strip search, x-ray (people and bags), and hold bags for 24 hours for thorough inspections, of every person coming back from LOS that would be fine with me – I ain’t got nothing to hide.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many of the posters seem to be confused about Immigration and Customs. Surely U.S. Immigrations job is to ascertain that I am a citizen of the U.S. and have the right of entry. Whether I may be smuggling drugs, naughty pictures or whatever is no business of theirs. Other branches of U.S. bureacracy deal with criminal activity. Am I guilty of over simplification? Just asking.

If they wanted to strip search, x-ray (people and bags), and hold bags for 24 hours for thorough inspections, of every person coming back from LOS that would be fine with me – I ain't got nothing to hide.

Yep, just keep surrendering your civil rights, make it as easy for them as possible!! If you've got nothing to hide then maybe CCTV in your living room would be OK, nothing to fear nothing to hide, right? Top man! :o

The only time I've had a bad experience with customs anywhere in the world was at LAX pre 9/11.

I was 22, well dressed, valid British passport and travelling with my girlfriend. I was quizzed extensively for an hour about virtually everything including whether my visa's for other countries that I was due to visit in the next 12 months were valid! <deleted>, what's it got to do with some fat muppet in an undersized uniform in L.A whether I can enter Australia in 6 months time? Not just the next country I was visiting either but 3 or 4 countries down the line. Overall a very unpleasant experience (although the locals in L.A weren't much better). I very much doubt I will visit the U.S.A again especially post 9/11.

Everyone criticizes Thai officials but these guys in LAX were really taking the pi55.

BTW, please don't label me anti-American, I am just describing my experience :D

Many of the posters seem to be confused about Immigration and Customs. Surely U.S. Immigrations job is to ascertain that I am a citizen of the U.S. and have the right of entry. Whether I may be smuggling drugs, naughty pictures or whatever is no business of theirs. Other branches of U.S. bureacracy deal with criminal activity. Am I guilty of over simplification? Just asking.

uhm, yes. The full name of that branch of government is the Immigration and Custom Enforcement, and they deal with a variety of issues pertaining to national security and criminal activity, as you well know.

If they wanted to strip search, x-ray (people and bags), and hold bags for 24 hours for thorough inspections, of every person coming back from LOS that would be fine with me – I ain't got nothing to hide.

What a thoroughly disturbing fascist attitude, too terrible to describe.

post-37101-1197995062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

What a thoroughly disturbing fascist attitude, too terrible to describe.

:o Maybe, a homosexual male who thinks your cute and just wants to see what your rectum looks like. Maybe he is more interested in your adolesent son. He can tell you to wait in the other room or you will never be able to fly again. As long as you have nothing to hide it doesn’t madder to him. You fit right in to the Asian mindset of "If it doesn’t effect me then I will just look the other way". Pol Pot would have loved you. Leaders around Darfur are counting on more people thinking just like you. If you feel that something small enough to fit under my left nut is worth giving up your civil liberties and dignity for then congratulations, you have won.

Went through Yank Customs at JFK and sailed right through - longest bit was waiting in the evil/long Queue. Actually seem bored when I pass through - always say Good Morning and how are you? I often wonder those of you who get hassled look like? I certainly dont look my best after 18hr flight, yet to be stopped EVER and I've been on nearly a 100(s) flights.

Hi all,

I rarely post, but thought i'd add my own story to the mix. I'm a 33 year old American guy and have lived in Thailand for about 5 years now. I've been home twice in the time i've lived here and had a couple of annoying experiences both times passing through immigration and customs. First time the the big crew cut policeman wanna be asked me how long i was planning on being in the U.S. for this visit. My thought at the time was, "Why does it matter?" I'm coming home, right? Then the second time was this year in August when i went home for my brother's wedding. I flew into Detroit and the guy at customs thumbed through my passport and asked me how long i'd lived in Thailand. I said 5 years and he put my passport down and asked "what do you do in Thailand, sir?" I politely said i was a teacher. He then asked me down the tip of his nose, eyes narrowing..."What do you teach?" I said i teach first grade, sir, to which he responded..."Don't we have 1st grade in the U.S." with an overly pompous smirk. I was quite taken aback and just laughed at him. I said well if you really want to know I work at an International school in Bangkok, blah, blah, blah...to which he handed me back my passport and leaned forward and said move along sir. It was very annoying, and I complained about it to everyone once i finally got home. I don't know why they just can't offer a welcome home sir/maam and send us on our way. The system definitely needs some work.

Oh, the SMIRK. So many of have seen the SMIRK. If you don't believe, check the survey results.

Many, many Americans are brainwashed into believing there is no wholesome reason for an American to leave the USA (except of course to invade, pillage, and occupy). Fine. But why do most of the immigration people think that way? They need a new training class or something. Sensitivity training to be more TOLERANT of people smarter than they are.

It is we who should be SMIRKING at them; but of course we don't if we don't fancy a rectal exam.

Britmaverick, aren't you a Brit? If so and you have been treated so well, maybe us natives really are treated worse by our own country's agents.

Edited by Jingthing

Hmm....

Lets try to be fair. SE Asia does not have the best reputation in the world, for drugs, sex tourists, or indeed visa cheating kiddy fiddlers. The last two are mainly down to European/ North American/ Australian males who want a cheap thrill..agreed?

You do not want your home government to crack down on this?, despite the fact it may be enforced by people who need to deal with 1000's of people per day? They make mistakes, interrupt your smooth journey and occasionally are power freaks... ahem..so what?

Get a grip. I have been stopped a couple of times. Don't blame them, a male travelling alone from SE Asia is a perfect profile. I was polite and co-operative and so were they. 5 minutes at most. I have waited longer in a tunnel to get on the plane.

and occasionally are power freaks

More than occasionally. Check the poll results.

And so what? , they are underpaid government employees, in a horrible job, faced with 1000's of people a day, who may be innocents, or may be drug smugglers that contribute to killing their kids.

Get a grip, just try, really hard, to put yourself into their position. Living in the worse suburbs, dead end work, they want to promote their ego...maybe..just like you?

It's about understanding other people, if you interact with the individuals.

Try not to be so selfish or small minded..eh? :o

Hmm....

Lets try to be fair. SE Asia does not have the best reputation in the world, for drugs, sex tourists, or indeed visa cheating kiddy fiddlers. The last two are mainly down to European/ North American/ Australian males who want a cheap thrill..agreed?

You do not want your home government to crack down on this?, despite the fact it may be enforced by people who need to deal with 1000's of people per day? They make mistakes, interrupt your smooth journey and occasionally are power freaks... ahem..so what?

Get a grip. I have been stopped a couple of times. Don't blame them, a male travelling alone from SE Asia is a perfect profile. I was polite and co-operative and so were they. 5 minutes at most. I have waited longer in a tunnel to get on the plane.

Good post, Yorkman. Although I do understand concerns about power abusers, I don't think examples on this thread attest to it.

*I think the gruff language is an annoyance, but that's it, really. However, I know there are REAL horror stories of unfair treatment by immigration, just not on this thread.

Edited by kat

You want me to have sympathy for goons and bullies? When hel_l freezes over.

I have lost count of the countries I have traveled to. The only country I have ever been welcomed into with intense disrespect has been MY OWN COUNTRY. Not every time, but enough times that I dread entry into my own country.

There is no excuse for this!

Edited by Jingthing

I have lost count of the countries I have traveled to. The only country I have ever been welcomed into with intense disrespect has been MY OWN COUNTRY. Not every time, but enough times that I dread entry into my own country.

Agreed.

I will tread carefully around this :o

The western world does not, broadly, accept your sexual orientation. You will get hassle. It is small minded, agreed, but they will see you coming in a flight from 1000 yards away. I would if you were dressed in a western suit and short cropped and tagged along with a girl. Easy.

I have got to say at this point, I am rabidly hetero..have a lovely thai wife..etc etc :D:D but just for discussion purposes :D

They will have preconceptions, no doubt driven by Fox News that you are the next threat to the USA.. they will pick you out.

Added to that they have drug smugglers, underage kiddy fiddlers, sex travellers with photos and videos... c'mon...give them a break too. They see this as well.

Just be normal. a friendly person they can relate to..

Don't get angry. It's just people in a dead end job who are doing their best (in their perception) ..Ignore it IMHO

Edited by yorkman

Agreed.

The western world does not, broadly, accept your sexual orientation. You will get hassle. It is small minded, agreed, but they will see you coming in a flight from 1000 yards away. I would if you were dressed in a western suit and short cropped and tagged along with a girl. Easy.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. You (and the Immigration authorities) may be able to recognise gay people who fit the various gay stereotypes but there are as many different type of gay people as there are gay people and many of them do not register on the gaydar no matter how sensitive it may be.

This is rich. Yorkman suggests all gay Americans dress up in 50's style organization man drag, and take along a strange woman (hetero beard) just to enter THEIR OWN COUNTRY. And this is his argument to support the notion that America is not showing fascist tendencies.

No other comments are needed to challenge the logic of his assumptions.

post-37101-1198008085_thumb.jpg

BTW, this isn't a gays only issue at all.

Edited by Jingthing

Traveled through seattle a few times to go home to canada. those fascists ripped me apart hardcore, and i was surprised that people could be that stupid and uneducated ( Looked at my 12 Burma stamps and asked me why i went to Laos so many times). Oh well, this was a few years ago.. maybe cause i am young or something.. oh well that last time i went through there i missed my flight due to getting power searched again.. so now i just dont travel through america anymore.. It just kinda sucks when i see the sex tourists breezing through with ease, and i am just a great person getting <deleted>.cked 8==D ~ oh well..

well if it matters at all i am female and they don't bother me a bit.

Hmmm. Obviously one person's experience doesn't tell the whole story. I should have included a question for females to determine if there is a big difference. Probably is for incoming from Thailand, don't you think?

They are looking for different things from different countries. For example, if an American woman was coming from a drug mule source country like Columbia, maybe there wouldn't be a difference, or maybe even more females bothered because drug mules are often women.

Edited by Jingthing

Agreed.

I'm sorry but this is simply not true. You (and the Immigration authorities) may be able to recognise gay people who fit the various gay stereotypes but there are as many different type of gay people as there are gay people and many of them do not register on the gaydar no matter how sensitive it may be.

Agreed.

This is rich. Yorkman suggests all gay Americans dress up in 50's style organization man drag, and take along a strange woman (hetero beard) just to enter THEIR OWN COUNTRY. And this is his argument to support the notion that America is not showing fascist tendencies.

post-37101-1198008085_thumb.jpg

Well, I absolutely agree with you guys there.

Again, just look at the poll results.

Something is ROTTEN in the state (department) of America.

Jingthing, I think the poll results are split rather evenly and realistically, and don't point to anything "rotten". I think a lot of it has to do with where you are coming from, and your entry point. I had an absolute horrible time in Florida and most definitely thought they were behaving like facists and was treated so badly, all because I had <deleted>' toiletries, but I WAS technically in the wrong; I just didn't think they needed to act like the Gestapo over a little moisturizer, but they see a lot of stuff every day, so .... Also, if you are black or have a middle eastern appearance, then I think you will really have stories of security abuse. But, that is not only the United States.

Edited by kat

I would best describe my re-entry as 'business-like.' With the exception of once, I always get searched--at least my luggage, but they are generally courteous and business-like when they do it. One time, when it wasn't very busy I was talking to the inspector and he mentioned that they have to look for a lot of agricultural related products that people don't realize they can't bring in, such as those traditional pillows, certain stuffed toys etc, because they are filled with coconut hulls that can have parasites.

I was usually a little nervous because I am on a couple of prescription medications and have them along, but I never carry the prescription. They always pass right over them without a second look.

All that said, I have seen people sort of pulled aside by a couple of big burly guys and being rather intimidating. Seeing that usually scares me into a more submissive role!

Again, just look at the poll results.

Something is ROTTEN in the state (department) of America.

I will point out Jingthing, it seems to be a problem mostly at the Seattle airport - I have never had an issue at other entry points. Next time I'm there, maybe I will give far more evasive answers and ask why the want to know. They always seem to search me anyway, why cooperate fully.

I just remembered a story I heard some years back which proves some of us returning travelers ARE asking for it. The story was of a gay man returning from his first trip to Thailand. The officer started talking to him and so he said, "here are the pictures of the boys." Maybe there are enough of those silly bozos to make us

Why not make them really envious and show them all the pics and videos of the men/women we meet in Thailand...that's what really gets up their arse. The fact that we vacation/live in LOS and they have a fat wife, 2.1 rug rats, and a subprime mortgage that is going to foreclosure :o

Edited by JonnieB

the thing for me is i can be patient, polite, and courteous, but the staff at the seattle airport went out of their way to be rude it was quite shocking. It was all the way down the line too.. immigration, customs, people at metal detectors, people who just mop the floor etc. I remember after i got searched for 5 hours i was going through some more metal detectors and the baggage handlers were seeing how far back they could throw peoples bags and get them to land on the conveyor belt. I was with a flock of Koreans coming in from Seoul and they were so rattled about being screamed at and interrogated, some were really close to tears when they saw the americans smashing their nice luggage and screaming in MTV-american popculture gangsta rap talk ( OH YO G u see that shit land ? wow homie that shit is tight). Really no professionalism at all, i understand they want to save money to run their airport but i think they should interview who they hire.

Ive tried a few different approaches, and last time it wasnt bad, well i mean i did miss my flight and had to wait 8 hours extra in seattle, which well actually was probably the most upsetting thing that happened to me maybe since the tsunami, but ive tried to be really passive and have tried really aggressive as well.. i think one of the things is that they ask so many questions about how i can live in thailand for years at a time and only be 19 or 20 or 21 (i am 22 now) and i explain it to them and i think it makes them kind of upset about their own life or something.. anyways this is degenerating into just rambling now, but i think that even in this age of paranoid security, that airport staff should be able to treat people with at least a basic level of human respect. For example when i've traveled through Seoul-Incheon or Taipei, people have never been overly friendly or flowery, but they have all been professional and NOT rude.

Hmm you see determined to misconstrue or perhaps I phrased it badly :o although I can't see where I either supported or argued against any such notion.

Not surprisingly the poll is about even.

All I am suggesting is that if you are on an incoming flight from SE Asia, you are travelling alone, and you don't fit the clean looking all American family man stereotype, then you are much more likely to be stopped. Given the reputation of SE Asia, for right or wrong, it is hardly surprising is it?. It does not apply just in the USA, this could happen anywhere. How you are subsequently treated by them is another matter. There is no excuse for aggression or rudeness, but hey, would you want their job?

Unfair stereotyping? Yes. There is absolutely no suggestion that its a gay issue! Jeez...

If it were a mid 20's middle eastern looking man travelling in, I would expect they might just catch their eye for a little extra attention in the current world climate! They might be a US citizen too :D

A more or less even (between positive and negative experiences) poll result on this subject is indeed a VERY VERY DAMNING result. If they weren't indeed excessively rude and disresptful to us, and sometimes ABUSIVE, you would expect less than say 5 percent negative responses.

If nothing else, I hope this result silences those who have never had a problem who think this means this abuse does not happen. It happens ALL THE TIME. And it is disgusting.

Another thing I do not understand: why do some people MAKE EXCUSES for this totally unprofessional behavior? Maybe the same people who think it is OK for America to use torture and waterboarding?

Edited by Jingthing

Maybe the same people who think it is OK for America to use torture and waterboarding?

Torture of suspects that are definately helping terrorists, is a lot more honorable than letting large numbers of innocent people be badly hurt and die.

It is not a black and white world! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.