Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Effective 5 Jan. 2009 the consulate will be at a new location.

This from a reply to an email I sent to them after learning of the move.

"The Consular Section of the Embassy will move to a new location at No. 15, Bourichane Road, Ban Phone Si Nuan, Muang Si Sattanak, Vientiane.

Tel: (021) 214581 - 3 Ext. 600 - 601, (021) 453916, 415337, Fax:

(021) 415336

from 5 January 2009."

Edited by ubonjoe

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arrived back yesterday from Vientiane. Double entry TV problem.

Some European country cannot have double entry, some like Italy France Holland so is not right that all can have the double.

Then i put a pic whit a new law order, was on the windows in the border office when i arrived,

ciao

This is the first post I have seen of them restricting a European country to a single entry.

I don't think I would call it a law order.

You will notice it says requested. It also says nearest which means to me that it can still be a nearby consulate to get a visa.

The countries on the list are the 36 countries mentioned in the 30/15 notice.

True that it does say "Requested", but without seeing the original Thai it's hard to be sure if they really meant "Request" or "Required".

Also the context of the phrase "apply for visa at the Royal Thai Embassy / Consulate in their country or nearest" likely means the country nearest to the traveler's home country, particularly if their country has no Thai representative, and not another South-East Asian country nearest to Thailand or Laos.

There are 37 countries listed on the sign kindly posted. The latest revision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2490 list 42 countries. Removing from the latter list three nations which receive special consideration under bilateral agreement (Brazil, Peru and Korea) leaves 39. These other two which appear in the MFA list but not on the photo are Vietnam and Hong Kong.

If the regulation or policy which the sign photo promulgates has any teeth, apparently there was a grace period of some sort as I did apply on the 25th November for a double-entry TR tourist visa which I received on the following day. But based on the reports of others it would seem that at least a paartial crackdown (yes, another one) has started and that perhaps even single-entry TR's maybe soon be unavailable.

This is not a crack down and is not official policy. It is information that the "immigration checkpoint Nong Kai" posted (see bottom right corner of sign).

Noted, although I'm inclined to think that the location may have been appended simply because Nong Khai was the place of distribution of the notice. I don't believe it's too much of a leap to think there's some degree of coordination between Nong Khai Immigration as a primary point of departure to Laos and the Royal Thai Consulate in Vientiane, lately a magnet (nay, a hub) for this sort of visa run.

I have just returned from laos...

In a related note, never having been to Laos, what is the best currency to pay for

1) the Thai visa at the embassy

2) hotel

3) the visa for Laos

4) other expenses (souvenirs, restaurants, transport...)?

Can one pay for the above in Thai baht, Lao kip, or is it a good idea to take some US dollars (I would have to exchange baht to dollars in this case)?

Yes pay in dollars for the Laos visa,pay in Baht for the Thai visa at consulate they only accept the baht,hotel and food etc just pay in any currency ą taxi from friendship bridge to the Thai consulate and then on to a hotel is 200 bahtṪhe international bus back to Nong khai is 55 bahtand to Udon 80 bahtķhon kaen is 180 bahtẎou can get your dollars more easily before the trip.

PS busiest days are Monday and Thursday at consulate.

leslie p

I have just returned from laos...
In a related note, never having been to Laos, what is the best currency to pay for

1) the Thai visa at the embassy

2) hotel

3) the visa for Laos

4) other expenses (souvenirs, restaurants, transport...)?

Can one pay for the above in Thai baht, Lao kip, or is it a good idea to take some US dollars (I would have to exchange baht to dollars in this case)?

Yes pay in dollars for the Laos visa,pay in Baht for the Thai visa at consulate they only accept the baht,hotel and food etc just pay in any currency ą taxi from friendship bridge to the Thai consulate and then on to a hotel is 200 bahtṪhe international bus back to Nong khai is 55 bahtand to Udon 80 bahtķhon kaen is 180 bahtẎou can get your dollars more easily before the trip.

PS busiest days are Monday and Thursday at consulate.

leslie p

You can also pay 1500 baht for the Lao visa.

This is not a crack down and is not official policy. It is information that the "immigration checkpoint Nong Kai" posted (see bottom right corner of sign).

Yes is right, they put only in immigration checkpoint Nong Kai, i look in the embassy but they dont put nothings like that rules.

So i also think is an not official policy,

For example they write exactly the same word for african people, but, inside the embassy and they dont go again.

ciao

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the paperwork I will be needing for a single entry tourist visa? Just want to make sure I have all the details correct. Thanks for the help.

Your passport. 2 passport size photos. 1,000 Baht . Application form.

The Visa Application Form posted here is not accepted at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. I handed it to the official but he looked at it, shook his head and handed me one of their own forms to fill in.

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the paperwork I will be needing for a single entry tourist visa? Just want to make sure I have all the details correct. Thanks for the help.

The Visa Application Form posted here is not accepted at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. I handed it to the official but he looked at it, shook his head and handed me one of their own forms to fill in.

That is the generic application form from the MFA website.

This should be the correct form: http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

Of course the consulate could change the form and not post the change on the website.

That is the generic application form from the MFA website.

This should be the correct form: http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

Of course the consulate could change the form and not post the change on the website.

Yes, that's the one.

Another point to bear in mind from my recent trip is that the international bus isn't very good. Once you cross the border you have to wait until every single one of the 40 or so passengers have returned. Someone getting strip searched or having stomach problems or visa problems (or all 3 together)? Too bad, you have to wait! I had to wait over an hour after passing immigration. It is tempting to take it because of the rip-off tuk-tuks in Laos but you can take the regular Laos public bus for 20 baht between the border and Vientiane and on the Thai side you can deal with the more reasonable tuk-tuk drivers to take you to and from Nong Khai. The international bus may be a reasonable option if you want to go straight to Udon or or Khon Kaen.

Edited by edwardandtubs

The PDF file on the consulates website is a scanned image of the application form used by the Vientiane consulate and I believe some members posted that they used a printout of that form and the consulate accepted it.

--

Maestro

I used this same form on Dec 24th with out any problems.

The PDF file on the consulates website is a scanned image of the application form used by the Vientiane consulate and I believe some members posted that they used a printout of that form and the consulate accepted it.

--

Maestro

I know all advice says to avoid going on Monday, but I have no choice. How early would you recommend arriving at the new consulate office? I am taking a bus from Bangkok, should arrive in Nong Khai around 6am Monday morning. I am thinking the earliest I can get to the consulate would be by 7am if no major delays...hopefully earlier. Will this be early enough?

I know all advice says to avoid going on Monday, but I have no choice. How early would you recommend arriving at the new consulate office? I am taking a bus from Bangkok, should arrive in Nong Khai around 6am Monday morning. I am thinking the earliest I can get to the consulate would be by 7am if no major delays...hopefully earlier. Will this be early enough?

You won't be able to get a Lao visa until 7 and normally it's busy at that time.

You should be able to make it there in time but it is going to very busy that day because it has been closed for so many days plus it's the first day of operation at the new location so there may be some glitches in the system.

The consulate has updated their website with the new address and with a link to a map.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html

If you haven't done it yet you can download the visa application form from this page also.

Give us a report on how things are done at the new consulate.

Good luck.

You could travel on Sunday and spend the night in Vientiane and be at the consulate about 7 am.

Already got the bus tickets to leave on Sunday night in hand, otherwise I would change my plan to that. I don't suspect they issue bus ticket refunds. :o

Just wondering, if it is nuts on Monday, and I can't get the application in before 12pm, would it be better to submit it the next day in the morning or can I submit it in the afternoon on Monday and get it in two days?

You could travel on Sunday and spend the night in Vientiane and be at the consulate about 7 am.
Already got the bus tickets to leave on Sunday night in hand, otherwise I would change my plan to that. I don't suspect they issue bus ticket refunds. :o

Just wondering, if it is nuts on Monday, and I can't get the application in before 12pm, would it be better to submit it the next day in the morning or can I submit it in the afternoon on Monday and get it in two days?

They might not give a refund but you check with the bus company about changing it to tonight or Sunday morning.

You will have to go early Tuesday if you are not able to get it in on Monday. They will not accept applications in the afternoon.

Already got the bus tickets to leave on Sunday night in hand, otherwise I would change my plan to that. I don't suspect they issue bus ticket refunds. :D

They might not give a refund but you check with the bus company about changing it to tonight or Sunday morning.

You will have to go early Tuesday if you are not able to get it in on Monday. They will not accept applications in the afternoon.

take into consideration the moving of the consulate into a new office area - also that there has been now about 6 days of no office hours - and people who may well have travelled to Laos to place their application on Monday morning - my Guess and i say Guess is that Monday could be hectic - allow yourself the option if possible to

1. stay the Monday in Non Khai - if you do not have to exit Thailand by that date

2. Go into Laos and pass by the embassy - check it out - join a queue - you will only have to be in queue till 12.00 any way - and possibly not get to lodge application.

3. there will be I am sure many touts - approaching you to offer to lodge your application - and for a fee - hefty - if you are on a budget - avoid them - is my suggestion - but then up to you.

4. application form - available inside office free - or for a fee of 20 bht - from the nice tout outside :o) or printable off this web site...

5. take small Thai notes - the payment in Thai Bht is considerably cheaper - also more negotiable - as the Laos can use the Thai Bht when they cross into Thailand - when last thee two weeks ago - we used Thai bht - asked for bills in Thai Bht - and worked out cheaper...

Tuk Tuk - negotiable - also vans when you are on the laos side - last trip - van drive - with a wait of two half hours and then he drove us to a variety of Hotels a-to look for prices - negotiated price was 300 bht - all up he was with us for four hours and very polite - tipped him 100 bht at end of the time.

6. tried tuk tuk - return trip to bridge - from hotel to pick up visa then to border - best we could do was 200 bht - price also of fuel in Laos - was much more expensive - trip was ok in tuk tuk but van had ac and more comfort - depends on the budget.

7. food - great restaurants on the river front - bamboo style - comp[arative costs to restaurants - so much more cheaper - and quality of food was good.

8. expect to stay a few days - new office, long time of office being closed and as i said - expect a line up.

9. ohhh my last border crossing at Laos too over 2 hours waiting for the nice person inside to stick the visa on.... it is colder so take that jacket and scarf for the morning and wait - could be fast also - all predictions - but enjoy.

Enjoy the stay any way

hope this info helps.

Why spend the night in Nong Khai? Immigration opens at 7 so he wouldn't get to the Thai Embassy until after the massive queues have formed. Better to stay the night in Vientiane. Also it sounds like you paid way too much to the tuk tuk drivers. You'll generally get better prices negotiating in kip instead of baht.

Edited by edwardandtubs

I'm off towards Nong Khai tomorrow too. Monday 5th my last day in passport. Will try to get permission to stayin Thailand from Non Khai immigration first- if refused off to Ventiane.

I see from the thaiembassy.org website that they offer Non-immigrant visa (3 years multiple entry) for 10 000 BAht (which is cheaper than 3 non-immigrant visa (one per year)from the UK I think). HAs anybody got one of those from Ventiane in the past? I will have my official documents for marriage, passport photos (and my Thai wife) with me. Would I need more documents- like bank statements (which I have not got)??? Cheers Stefan

I'm off towards Nong Khai tomorrow too. Monday 5th my last day in passport. Will try to get permission to stayin Thailand from Non Khai immigration first- if refused off to Ventiane.

I see from the thaiembassy.org website that they offer Non-immigrant visa (3 years multiple entry) for 10 000 BAht (which is cheaper than 3 non-immigrant visa (one per year)from the UK I think). HAs anybody got one of those from Ventiane in the past? I will have my official documents for marriage, passport photos (and my Thai wife) with me. Would I need more documents- like bank statements (which I have not got)??? Cheers Stefan

You will not get any tyoe of multiple entry visa from Vientiane. You could get a single entry non-o there.

A B visa is for business and would require a lot of paperwork to get anywhere.

If you go ot immigration you can get a 60 day extensionto visit your wife. See 2.24 if the police order.

Link to police order: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-New-Immigration-Rules-November-2008.html

Also look at 2.18 for info on getting a one year extension.

Make copies of everything before you go to immigration. Including passport photo page. visa. entry/permit to stay stamps and TM6 (departure card) plus 2 photos.

How late in the day on Sunday can I cross the border and get into Laos? Because if I leave Sunday morning and get there Sunday evening, it would be pointless if they are already closed.

How late in the day on Sunday can I cross the border and get into Laos? Because if I leave Sunday morning and get there Sunday evening, it would be pointless if they are already closed.

They close at 10 PM so I would say be on the Thai side by 9 or so that way you would have plenty of time. After 4 PM they charge a little extra for the visa for overtime.

Hmm, I think sticking with leaving Sunday night is still a better option, just for the fact that if Monday doesn't work, I will just enjoy another day in the capital, and go rather early Tuesday morning. Trying to rush everything in the next few hours to get down to Bangkok, spend extra money on travel and hotel, and then still there is a possibility that I don't get the application in on Monday.

Thanks Joe, we discussed my options for visiting immigration Nong Khai about two weeks back under a different forum topic! I was just intrigued. Looking up the map for the new location on the thaiembassy.org/ventiane/consularservices_en.html website they post under visa type and fees:

Transit, Tourist, Non-immigrant, non immigrant 1 year (multiple entry) and non-immigrant 3 years multiple entry. Is that just the theory- and in praxis there is only limited availability(i.e. the two last types are never granted?) Cheers Stefan

Thanks Joe, we discussed my options for visiting immigration Nong Khai about two weeks back under a different forum topic! I was just intrigued. Looking up the map for the new location on the thaiembassy.org/ventiane/consularservices_en.html website they post under visa type and fees:

Transit, Tourist, Non-immigrant, non immigrant 1 year (multiple entry) and non-immigrant 3 years multiple entry. Is that just the theory- and in praxis there is only limited availability(i.e. the two last types are never granted?) Cheers Stefan

That is a posting of fees for all visa types.

There might be a rare occasion where they would issue them. Perhaps to a Lao citizen or resident.

I've decided to fly directly to Vientiane via Thai airways, 6700B return. Arrive Tues 20, 9pm, depart Thursday night, 10pm. I debated about coming back friday same time, just afraid I'll be bored, but also in case their is a problem with the visa.

Can anyone advise on how to get into the city from the airport, best place to stay for 2 nights (under 1000B and that allows girls) within proximity to the new consulate?

Has anyone rented a motorbike to get around? Where and how much?

How to deal with rip off tuk-tuks?

Best place to go for girls? Heard of a disco in a 5 star hotel on the Mekong. Costs, and any problems taking them back to the hotel?