I Should Have Known Better

corkscrew

Last night I had a craving for a steak. Normally I would have satisfied that urging by visiting Prime in the Millennium Hilton but since last night was a 'no-no' night for alcohol in Thailand I took my chances on a T-Bone from the Great American Rib...via Food by Phone. OK, the meal came nicely packaged but when I cut into the meat.....well, it really was like cutting into thick leather

Last night I had a craving for a steak. Normally I would have satisfied that urging by visiting Prime in the Millennium Hilton but since last night was a 'no-no' night for alcohol in Thailand I took my chances on a T-Bone from the Great American Rib...via Food by Phone. OK, the meal came nicely packaged but when I cut into the meat.....well, it really was like cutting into thick leather

Are you talking about Great American Rib on Suk soi 36?

If so, its not at all fair to compare that 'cafe' with the Hilton 55555

Edited by HarryHacker

Did you make any compains? You should have called them.

Personally, I like G.A.R and go to Sukmvt.36 to have a taste of ribs, salad, b.wings and cakes! Never wanna try steak cause it's not their speciality.

Edited by legag

What I can't understand is why you would order steak to be delivered? You know I love your food posts corkscrew, but why not just ask them to deliver it uncooked and cook it yourself? Steak is most definitely not something to be cooked and reheated.

Yeah, you should have known better. If it's a Thai beef steak, its wonderfulness is quite limited.

Rather than saying all the places that serve unpleasant Thai beef steaks, can anyone mention some restaurants that serve decent Thai beef steaks in the major cities? Of course you can always spend 2000 baht for imported stuff, but it would be nice to have serviceable Thai steaks available.

Edited by Jingthing

What I can't understand is why you would order steak to be delivered? You know I love your food posts corkscrew, but why not just ask them to deliver it uncooked and cook it yourself? Steak is most definitely not something to be cooked and reheated.

You know I never thought of that. I wonder if they will do that...deliver it raw.

Anyway now that the wine ban is over I can again go out to eat. It's funny...all the big hotels followed the ban to the letter, while many of the little restaurants did not.

Now I am in the mood for oysters again....with some mussels and a little squid. Just for starters.

You know I never thought of that. I wonder if they will do that...deliver it raw.

Anyway now that the wine ban is over I can again go out to eat. It's funny...all the big hotels followed the ban to the letter, while many of the little restaurants did not.

Now I am in the mood for oysters again....with some mussels and a little squid. Just for starters.

OK....I admit it. That hunk of red meat does spoil the atmosphere.

From the photos your steak looks almost like what we called a Steak Tampico, except it is missing the roasted chilis and cheese on top. You can actually cook a poor grade (tougher) cut and still make a nice steak. Secrets:

Dry aged beef and cut it very very thin and touch it on a roaring hot grill for a very short time.

One of my favorite lunch places in Juarez Mexico was a small mom and pop that made it this way at a very reasonable price, it was still their most expensive item on the menu, but as a local joint not hard to take. Trick is finding someone who can slice a T-bone this thin and can do dry aged beef.

I would have thought that having raw meat/food delivered is much the same as buying it and taking it home? in our case, frozen or fresh meat always gets the boiling water treatment poured over it before cooking,in case of contamination, as for steaks, Mrs always lays them to soak in milk and ripe papaya slices about 5/6 before cooking, the thicker steaks she will thrash with a rolling pin or the like to help tenderise before soaking, i like my steaks rare and these have the texture of a nice pineapple, a little chew and its gone, Cheers, Lickey..

I often purchase Thai steaks from Foodland and it is comparable to imported and expensive beef from Australia, so much so in fact that I will buy the Thai stuff ahead of the Australian equivalent.

LOL, that was funny. Just repeat it over and over 1,000 times and maybe it will actually come true.

Been to Chokchai - taste is quite good and it is usually prepared to the right spec - but the meat is still way too chewy.

Santa Fe does a decent tasting steak, but the cuts are much thinner.

I have had the T-Bone, the Rib Eye and the Sirloin at Chokchai several times and the meat was never chewy.

I eat my meat rare/medium-rare.

Santa-Fe is where I have had the worst steak ever in Bangkok and that is some feat. My Thai g/f thought Santa-Fe was terrible and for me that speaks volumes. It was the branch in Seacon Square. I have wanted to give it a second chance but my g/f refuses to go in!

I just picked up a couple of 300gms Thai beef Sirloins from Foodland. They will be grilled and eaten tomorrow.

Same here, medium-rare. I only have the rib eye, though. But I've only gone to their branch in Rangsit, never the one in Asoke.

Santa Fe - I'm sure it varies from location to location - been to both MBK and The Mall Ramkhamhaeng - it's usually better at MBK.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this at half past one in the morning doesn't help me to go snooze easier!

Steak .. steak .. steak ..T-Bone, the Rib Eye and the Sirloin .. come come come .. Sunday steak night out pls. come early!!