Do Village Schools Need English Books For The Kids?

BCIslandGuy

Hi

I am wondering if those with actual experience in teaching English in Thailand, particularly if its out in the rural areas and in village schools, can advise on a question..

There is a charity that is trying to place new or used childrens books, in english language, in a fairly large number of schools in one province.

I and some friends in North America are considering where to assist with their effort and try to support it large scale, but before we take that step, we are wondering if that would really be useful and helpful. "just because" we think it sounds like a good idea, is necessary so, and they might be of limited use.

Comments / opinions requested.

Thanks

To be frank, most village-level English programs will be lucky if the kids can survive a basic conversation in spoken English. You *might* see a bit of reading ability in some of the brighter provincial high school students, but barely enough to read a book, I'd reckon. The books, sadly, would be most of use in some of the better, more expensive private or semi-private programs where the kids can actually use English- but have little need for much economic help.

Books for native-speakers won't be much use. However, if you supply picture dictionaries, phonic workbooks and lower skill level study books, you'll be contributing something worthwhile. Maybe DVD based English courses as well. Even the poorest village has TVs and DVDs. Many will still have old VCRs, so if you find a supplier willing to donate their VCR cassettes, you'll probably be able to match to a village school.

Edited by Loaded

ANY book is better than no book at all. Do not listen to the nay sayers on the board.

Any village would be delighted to have *something*, besides those god awfull Singaporean or Malaysian Englishee books. And the other poster is spot on, old style VHS (PAL) or dvds would go a long way with these students.

Hello BC,

Could you tell us the name of the charity?

And thanks for your good intentions on behalf of the low/no income students in the out-back of Thailand. This time of year, it's nice to read something about people caring for their fellow man.

EVERYONE --- COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS!

BC, I applaud you.

'nuff said

~

If *any* books were better than no books, then books in Arabic or Swahili would be "better" than no books. I somehow doubt this is true- and books written for native speaking children might as well be in Arabic or Swahili from the point of view of most rural Thai kids. The rural kids need Thai books primarily, low-level introductory TEFL materials (as Loaded says) secondarily, and full-on English language texts for native speaking children least of all (to a point of vanishing utility, I'd say).

Since the OP seems concerned about practicality and value for charity investment, I'd say he'd be well advised to listen to us "nay-sayers."

:o

"S"

If *any* books were better than no books, then books in Arabic or Swahili would be "better" than no books. I somehow doubt this is true- and books written for native speaking children might as well be in Arabic or Swahili from the point of view of most rural Thai kids. The rural kids need Thai books primarily, low-level introductory TEFL materials (as Loaded says) secondarily, and full-on English language texts for native speaking children least of all (to a point of vanishing utility, I'd say).

Since the OP seems concerned about practicality and value for charity investment, I'd say he'd be well advised to listen to us "nay-sayers."

:o

"S"

your books would be gratefully accepted in my wifes village and there would be some learning in them. if you speak to some poor thais and you ask them where they learned english they will tell you from reading books and watching farang tv. so i think your books would do some good and if its english grammar and conversation books then that would be better give me a private post and i will give you more details cheers

Funny how my post disappeared when I suggested that no Swahili books be given. Arbitrary deletion?
No problem with that part, but we've been having problems with posters on this topic not being familiar with the rules against soliciting for charities, and against posting URL's. Your reply got caught in the sweep, that's all.

As always interesting perspectives. Sorry about messing up on the posting rules (i only responded with names/urls at request)

I posed the same question to a very good thai friend in BKK, who is now a lawyer, but comes from a province outside of BKK.

Here is what she said:

"When I was a small girl. I came from nice primary school in my district. We had the big library for many kinds of books. Many of them from the school bought them and donation. I just went there again there are much more books. I also donated some books for them. The dean said he wanted more English books and toys to improve his students. I know there are few schools by my district. They are poor. There is no English books in library and 1 teacher teaches any subject. So a teacher and a student can learn English together at the same time and level...ha ha... Mostly teachers and students are not ambitious at all. It is a pitty for few good students must to spend time with them...

So the books in English are still so useful for them, even there are many not good teachers there. They are the thing make teachers and students want to learn something new or start to think that they should learn and improve their English(, perhaps some pictures in the books may useful for them). You see?"

As she's politely hinting, no one there can really read English- anything more difficult than a picture book will be way over the students' heads, and most likely the teacher will struggle, too. Once again, I'd recommend: TEFL materials (aimed at low levels) and very, very low level (pre-school, kindergarten, first grade) native speaking materials. You could send the higher level stuff to EP programs and high school programs in Bangkok- or perhaps more usefully, to inner-city school libraries in the U.S.A.

"S"