Koh Chang In December

Isabellla

We were in Koh Chang last November and it was cool (around 24 degC) with little rain. Make sure you obtain accommodation with hot water, probably the cheapest is around Bht 800.00/day.

I've heard recently that Koh Chang has now been designated a "National Park" so you will probably be required to pay a "farang" entrance fee. :o

Koh Chang is going downhill fast, and December is the high of the high season. If you still decide to go, make sure you book your accomodation well in advance, or you may face paying a ridiculous amount of money for substandard accommodation.

Whatever you do, NEVER stay at Chang Park Resort. I went there last new year's eve and they charged 3500 baht for a half-decent bungalow with TV. However, during the whole day, there was NO WATER. We went to the reception several times to make them aware of this fact, but despite this, they refused to refund us any money or even give us some kind of symbolic compensation. The service at their beachside restaurant was truly substandard as well.

White Sand Beach is attracting an increasing number of sex tourists, sometimes with standard bargirl entourage, and sometimes without, in which case there are girlie bars cropping up along the main road. Top 40 music blasting at earsplitting volume until 1 AM every single night. There are now 2 Seven Elevens on White Sand Beach as well.

The island's main road is unfortunately good enough for Bangkok families to bring their city jeeps, which means even more reckless driving and stupid, inconsiderate parking all over the island, as well as fat little brats running around everywhere.

If you want to experience the total serenity and beauty of Thailand's islands, forget Koh Chang and seek out your own paradise somewhere else. My 2 cents. ¨

As you can see, I am having a great day.

:o

do not agree with meadish ... sorry to hear about his inconveniences but ... well, it can happen anywhere. Got only good experience(s) with Chang Theme Park (maybe it's because....the way you shout in the forest - they way response comes back...?)

Anyway, I DO agree with his White Sands "report". Little Pattaya I would call it (but with much lower quality of course).

Imho, the further you head south the better (cheaper) it will be.

Accomodation available between Bt 200,00 and over Bt 5,000 a day.

Weather and overall accomodation info (december):

contact DANIEL (a swiss citizen living in KoChang fo years now. He also runs a little travel agency with motobike rental, very close to Chang Theme Park):

[email protected]

homepage (not sure if this is the right link): www.koh-chang.ch

He might answer almost ALL of your questions.

Enjoy!!!

I appreciated all the reviews.

Saw the gallery of photos and Koh Chang beach seems like Koh Samui beaches which I dislike. Very crowded during high season.

About the experience in Koh Chang Park Resort, that;s what I heard from my work colleague too.Transportation seems to be another concern long journey specially when together with kids.

Thanks again

do not agree with meadish ... sorry to hear about his inconveniences but ... well, it can happen anywhere. Got only good experience(s) with Chang Theme Park (maybe it's because....the way you shout in the forest - they way response comes back...?)

Anyway, I DO agree with his White Sands "report". Little Pattaya I would call it (but with much lower quality of course).

Imho, the further you head south the better (cheaper) it will be.

Accomodation available between Bt 200,00 and over Bt 5,000 a day.

Weather and overall accomodation info (december):

contact DANIEL (a swiss citizen living in KoChang fo years now. He also runs a little travel agency with motobike rental, very close to Chang Theme Park):

[email protected]

homepage (not sure if this is the right link): www.koh-chang.ch

He might answer almost ALL of your questions.

Enjoy!!!

You seem to insinuate on the basis of my (admittedly very negative) posting that I am a sour old fart who treats people badly, and that I "had it coming".

Nothing could be further from the truth - of course there is no way I can prove this to you since we've never met, I can only claim this is the way it is.

I have been dealing with Thailand and Thai people long enough to know what works and doesn't. I am always softspoken and roundabout whenever I have something other than positive to say, and kept this same profile the first three times I pointed out to the staff that the water did not work. It was only after a whole day (8 hours) of no water and getting the reply (iik sip naathii) "another ten minutes" that I lost my patience. I still did not scream or cause a scene, but I told them very slowly and clearly that this kind of service is not acceptable when you charge 3000 baht for a bungalow.

To not even provide an alternative solution for such a long time (arrange with some nearby operation so the guests may use their showers, or at least bring on a free meal as a compensation) is just way below standard.

The place is called Chang Park Resort, and nothing else. Are you sure we are even talking about the same place??

Chang THEME PARK it is called. Rather new (little over-prized) resort at KLONG PRAO BEACH (approx 25 kms south of White Sands).

Yeah, m a y b e we really do talk about different accomodation.

And - furthermore - I only a s s u m e d it could have been a question of one-sided communication.

I SURE DO understand that kinda situation you was into (especially for a Bt 3,500 a day hotel room) .... AND I would be very upset too if it happened to me.

Btw, got similar 'water and reception desk annoyance difficulties' at PhiPhi just about 3 months ago. Gave up arguing or even the 5-minute-permanent-smiling-trick as I realised it wouldn't work. So I simply CHECKED OUT and found another room (admit, not so easy to do if this happens within New Year's time).

rgd. transportation 'problems' KoChang: there certainly IS a taxi mafia working upon your harbour arrival. and even though roads are very well maintained you do good in having your own motobike (or whatever else) to get around.

Finally, (imho) KoChang STILL is a relaxing island if you concentrate on less touristy beach spots (with nice beaches, btw) and everyone interested should have a visit AS LONG AS it is not that crowded compared to Samui (don't even mention Phuket)...

I went to Kowchang with my family , got a house ( 4 bedroom ) in the Klong Prao resort for few days and after go individual bungalow ( house to noisy ).

house are huges 3 double bed in each room , and have four bedrooms .

can only rent the full house , very noisy with many parties around it ...

Half way between white Sand beach and the water fall , think it is the same one you mention . well! got few problems with them too , water was one , and I booked a boat with them , I think around 2500 bahts , at the first stop the boat guys want to live us in the little island and come back in few hours to pick us up …. !!!

Did not bite to this demand.

I use the phone to call Bangkok , think they charge me few hundreds for that …

I did not like to be strang in middle of nowhere with a mafia taxi service .. if I have to go back , will go to white sand beach resort or bungalow .

Was around December , weather was fine if not fresh .