Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

Police Step up Security ahead of Ruling on People Power Nominee Case

The Prime Minister empowered the National Police Office to handle the security situation if the country plunges into chaos following the ruling on the disbandment case filed against the People Power Party.

Regarding security concerns following the Supreme Court's ruling on the nominee case against the People Power Party, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont says the government has asked the National Police Office to oversee the situation between the period of the election and the establishment of the new administration.

The Prime Minister believes that if all parties adhere to the juridical process, democracy will be restored in the country.

General Surayud also insists the country's future will depend on the cooperation of all sectors in society, but declined to express his anticipation over the capability of the new government, saying he remains unsure which party will come into power and that the new administration should be given time to prove its ability.

- Thailand Outlook

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it the case against PPP is far from simple. The TRT was banned and ceased to exist - how can any party be a proxy or nominee for something that doesnt exist. If you remember after the banning of the TRT the original plan of the old TRT party was simply to set up a new party called 'TRT'.

We all know that people voted for the PPP as the best representation of the TRT but it is not obvious that this against the law - and why should it be?

It would be a total mockery of an election - to hold one where the entire TRT electorate are totally disenfranchised - banned from voting for any party that represents their interests.

There is one other issue on this. there isnt a Thai person I have met who doesnt think PPP is a proxy party and that includes all the PPP voters and people I know who to a large degree voted for it for that reason.

A proxy for a political ideology is a bit different from a true proxy relationship.

And yes, I agree with you that most people see the PPP as a proxy for TRT and Thaksin and that's probably the main reason they voted for PPP.

But "appearing to be a proxy for political purposes" and actually being a true proxy in a legal sense are two different things.

I seriously doubt the court will be swayed by the popular perception of what the word proxy means over the proper legal definition.

The charge is not determined by what most people think a proxy is, it is that Samak was/is a political proxy for Thaksin in the true legal definition of the word.

Throughout the hundreds of declarations, did Thaksin ever deny that Samak was his proxy or that Samak had no authority to make such claims?

Now put yourself in a court situation and consider if absence of denial by Thaksin would be taken as consent for Samak to act as a proxy? I don't think so.

But then again, if it looked like the Democrats had an even chance of getting up they might just swing things in their favour. That doesn't look to be the case at the moment though, so I am pretty certain they will go with an honest decision.

Throughout the hundreds of declarations, did Thaksin ever deny that Samak was his proxy or that Samak had no authority to make such claims?

Not to mention that Thaksin has never hesitated to call out Nopadon to file a lawsuit for defamation, that has not happened. So that leaves other to believe that Thaksin and Samak are one in the same and from there it all falls apart.

We should soon know the outcome and if I remember correctly after the verdict is out criticism is not allowed :o

A coup by the courts now at this late stage would be absolute madness.

I doubt even the Democrats would favour new elections with the PPP unfairly dissolved by the courts.

And of course its likely that the PPP/ TRT would reincarnate itself and win again with an even bigger margin resulting from the sympathy/outrage vote.

Far better strategy to let the PPP coalition self destruct and then move in.

And Criticism of the verdict not allowed? Very democratic indeed.

Not to mention that Thaksin has never hesitated to call out Nopadon to file a lawsuit for defamation, that has not happened. So that leaves other to believe that Thaksin and Samak are one in the same and from there it all falls apart.

What!?!!

You conclude that because Thaksin has not filed defamation proceedings against people alleging Samak is his political proxy, then the charges must be all true? I hope the prosecution has some better evidence than THAT! But I seriously doubt it.

What!?!!

You conclude that because Thaksin has not filed defamation proceedings against people alleging Samak is his political proxy, then the charges must be all true? I hope the prosecution has some better evidence than THAT! But I seriously doubt it.

No conclusion, just pointing out another indicator to Identify the truth by peoples actions and in this case Thaksin habit.

Supreme Court clears Thaksin allies

17:47 Supreme Court clears Thaksin allies

(BangkokPost.com) - The Supreme Court dismissed complaint filed by Democrat party member Chaiwat Sinsuwong that People Power party (PPP) is a proxy of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai (TRT) and ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, clearing the way for PPP to form a new government.

The court said it has no authority to rule the nominee case, saying that the Election Commission is the one to decide on the case.

For this reason, it rejected the petition accusing the PPP of violating electoral law by acting as a proxy of the TRT founded by Mr Thaksin.

Ref url :- http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125257

WAFF

Always was a banker for me going on the aftermath of the elections... Thai style of course.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

With the court announcement just now that PPP was not a proxy of TRT..

That's incorrect.

The Supreme Court dismissed the case (not its juridiction) ! Therefore, it's absolutly not a ruling that clears the PPP.

Anyway. Let's the show begin ! :o

(PS : very nice picture of Samak)

We should soon know the outcome and if I remember correctly after the verdict is out criticism is not allowed :o

A coup by the courts now at this late stage would be absolute madness.

I doubt even the Democrats would favour new elections with the PPP unfairly dissolved by the courts.

And of course its likely that the PPP/ TRT would reincarnate itself and win again with an even bigger margin resulting from the sympathy/outrage vote.

Far better strategy to let the PPP coalition self destruct and then move in.

And Criticism of the verdict not allowed? Very democratic indeed.

Hammered is of course being flippant owing to the fact that his statement does not represent the Thai visa members as a whole and is about as democratic as the forgone conclusion relating to the verdict which no matter how you wish to view the conclusion, it is obvious to everyone on both sides it is a blatant cloning of the PPP /TRT ect. ect. ect. ect.

That,s a fact for all those in denial, nothing less.

My! My! How history is seemingly repeating itself regarding a certain unethical ex PM in exile.

We now await the implosion of the clone party and all that is about to follow.

Me thinks we will not have to wait long either knowing the various infighting and jockeying for position style of bickering that will now take place.

marshbags :D

(BangkokPost.com) - The Supreme Court dismissed complaint filed by Democrat party member Chaiwat Sinsuwong that People Power party (PPP) is a proxy of the now-defunct Thai Rak Thai (TRT) and ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, clearing the way for PPP to form a new government.

The court said it has no authority to rule the nominee case, saying that the Election Commission is the one to decide on the case.

For this reason, it rejected the petition accusing the PPP of violating electoral law by acting as a proxy of the TRT founded by Mr Thaksin.

Does this mean that the ball is back in the E.C. court? And that they must finally make a ruling one way or the other?

it is obvious to everyone on both sides it is a blatant cloning of the PPP /TRT ect. ect. ect. ect.

That,s a fact for all those in denial, nothing less.

Not less, not more than to say "the Coup was anti democratic".

:o

Don't you see that we are making circles there ?

Bottom line : TRT, PPP, CNS (Junta) same, same, same crap.

We had a good laugh with Thaksin. Then with the Junta (remember Sonthi ? He seems to have totally disappeared, dead from shame probably)... And now, we are going to have the comedy of the century with Samak.

I think the outcome of all this is quite obvious : Philippines syndrome... With one direction : down.

I think this "proxy" thing is way overblown. A proxy is more or less part of a formal relationship between two people or entities where one of them (called the proxy) is officially given the right and power to act for the other. There is no such relationship between Samak and Toxin....nor is there such a relationship between PPP and TRT(TRT doesn't exist any longer). Someone who doesn't want PPP to form a gov't (or many somones) has taken this label used for official relationships and tried to tack it onto any place where they think it will stick.....but there is no formal relationship anywhere.

A group of people who have a political philosophy which follows the ideas or ideals of some person or some other political party is not a proxy for that person or political party....its just not an accurate way of describing it....in a word...it is Bullshrift....there is nothing that makes it illegal or immoral for a group of people to emulate someone's ideas or ideals...or for a political party to emulate the ideas or ideals of another political party!!!...in fact you could say that the essence of politics is that individuals alone and thorugh their political affiliations try to propogate their ideas and ideals and actively do everything they can to see that others emulate them...this is what politics is all about. Really this "proxy" bullshrift is an attempt to censor the entire political process as it pertains to the opposition as seen in the PPP.....it is about as undemocratic and about as anti-political freedom of a stance as can be achieved....fits right in with the military dictatorship style of gov't which so many here were so happy to see come about.

Chownah

Does this mean that the ball is back in the E.C. court? And that they must finally make a ruling one way or the other?

I don't know, but according to Bangkok Pundit: "basically, the only lawsuits now can be against the EC for not applying the law".

I think this "proxy" thing is way overblown. A proxy is more or less part of a formal relationship between two people or entities where one of them (called the proxy) is officially given the right and power to act for the other. There is no such relationship between Samak and Toxin....nor is there such a relationship between PPP and TRT(TRT doesn't exist any longer). Someone who doesn't want PPP to form a gov't (or many somones) has taken this label used for official relationships and tried to tack it onto any place where they think it will stick.....but there is no formal relationship anywhere.

A group of people who have a political philosophy which follows the ideas or ideals of some person or some other political party is not a proxy for that person or political party....its just not an accurate way of describing it....in a word...it is Bullshrift....there is nothing that makes it illegal or immoral for a group of people to emulate someone's ideas or ideals...or for a political party to emulate the ideas or ideals of another political party!!!...in fact you could say that the essence of politics is that individuals alone and thorugh their political affiliations try to propogate their ideas and ideals and actively do everything they can to see that others emulate them...this is what politics is all about. Really this "proxy" bullshrift is an attempt to censor the entire political process as it pertains to the opposition as seen in the PPP.....it is about as undemocratic and about as anti-political freedom of a stance as can be achieved....fits right in with the military dictatorship style of gov't which so many here were so happy to see come about.

Chownah

Well said.

Even a poor quality lawyer could win this case in a fair court.

Kinda looks like they just cleared the way for another coup. Well give it another day to get the news straight.

My guess is that there will either be another election or another coup inside two years, maybe even inside one year. I give it a 75% chance of elections over a coup.

The generals and their elite masters will be watching from the side lines waiting for their opportunity to seize power and attempt to manipulate the democratic process once again. But to jump in with another coup too soon would expose them for what they are;-- illegal political manipulators and dictators.

Rather, they are more likely to wait for some kind of a political deadlock so they can have some justification for another coup and portray themselves as the saviours of the nation.

My further guess is that Samak will beat the generals to the punch when the coalition starts to crumble and call another general election which would most likely secure a PPP majority.

I don't know, but according to Bangkok Pundit: "basically, the only lawsuits now can be against the EC for not applying the law".

The proxy charges are a dead horse with no chance of succeeding. So that's not going to be a problem for the EC rule on.

It seems the EC is going to allow suspect MPs through but reserves the right to go on handing out red and yellow cards after the 30 days thus handing the hot potatoe to the supreme court.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Jan2008_news14.php

"Mr Suthipol maintained the endorsed MPs were not out of the woods as the EC may come after them later.

After the House has opened, if the EC finds any of the endorsed MPs to have cheated in the past election, it can ask the Supreme Court's election cases section to disqualify them.

The EC is the final authority over the red cards it issues within 30 days of the election.

After the 30 days, the EC still hands out the cards but the authority to disqualify rests with the Supreme Court's election cases section. "

As cclub correctly pointed out earlier, the Supreme Court did not exonerate PPP, they excused themselves themselves from the case... but anyway, the PPP is in... Samak is in... even Yongyuth is in....school starts on Monday with a dizzingly impressive class roster.

Court clears way for Samak

PPP leader is set to become prime minister as cases against EC and party are dropped

Samak Sundaravej's last hurdle to becoming prime minister was removed yesterday after the Supreme Court dropped all cases against the Election Commission (EC) and the People Power Party (PPP) concerning the December 23 election.

Meanwhile the EC endorsed 26 winning candidates, including PPP Deputy Leader Yongyuth Tiyaphairat, which made the number of MPs up to 460, over 95 per cent of the 480 House seats, enabling the first House session convene on Monday.

The PPP is also close to concluding its Cabinet line-up, which includes some ex-members of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, who had fought to protect deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra after the coup of September 19, 2006. Samak will reportedly concurrently assume the posts of prime minister and defence minister.

The Supreme Court yesterday ruled out the complaint filed by the New Aspiration Party that the EC had no authority to organise the advance and absentee balloting on December 15 and 16.

The court said the EC had been legally authorised to allow advance and absentee voting a week ahead of the December 23 polls. The court also dropped all the four legal issues raised by Democrat candidate Chaiwat Sinsuwong.

They are whether the PPP was qualified for the election as a nominee of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party, whether People Power leader Samak was qualified to run in the race as the proxy of Thaksin, whether the advance voting was valid and whether the distribution, allegedly by PPP candidates in northeastern provinces, of video CDs of Thaksin asking his supporters to vote for the PPP was illegal.

"I'm relieved. We will no longer face hurdles," PPP Leader Samak said. He said his party would now look forward to pushing for the formation of a government. He will hold an official press conference to announce the coalition of six parties led by the PPP at the Sukhothai Hotel today at 2pm.

PPP secretary-general Sura-pong Suebwonglee said the first House session would convene on Monday. The House will on Tuesday elect its speaker, who will also by law become Parliament president.

The House will elect the prime minister on Friday. After that the coalition will choose Cabinet members and address the House on government policy.

Surapong refused to confirm that Yongyuth would become House Speaker, but a PPP source said PPP members had agreed to back him for the post.

The Cabinet line-up will reportedly be settled by next week, with Chalerm Yubamrung as Interior Minister, Mingkhwan Saengsuwan as a Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister post.

Somchai Wongsawat, Thaksin's brother-in-law, or Sompong Amornwiwat will be Justice Minister. Santi Promphat, a close aide of banned Thai Rak Thai executive Pongsak Raktapongpaisal, will become Transport Minister.

Jakrapob Penkair, a key leader of the pro-Thaksin camp, and Thaksin's spokesman [and lawyer] Noppadon Pattama will be appointed to Ministerial posts.

One of the two deputy-speaker positions will go to the Chart Thai Party.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yesterday said he had high hopes that Samak would be able to lead the country to reconciliation as prime minister.

Surayud said he had never given up hope for the country "if we all help each other and do not let bad things happen, and we should not lose the chance.''

He said the military was in the best position to say whether it would be happy if Samak doubled as defence minister. "I am not a general any more. I am just Mr Surayud,'' he said.

He said he had instructed the National Police Commission to closely monitor the political situation in the light of the Supreme Court's ruling on whether the PPP was a proxy of the disbanded Thai Rak Thai.

- The Nation

==============================================================

Early contender for 2008 Over-Statement of the Year:

"I'm relieved. We will no longer face hurdles," PPP Leader Samak said.

Edited by sriracha john

Some clarification on the technical aspects of the Courts ruling...

'EC alone can seek ruling'

Supreme Court says only electoral agency sanctioned to do so

The Election Commission (EC) alone is sanctioned to seek Supreme Court consideration of allegations that the People Power Party is a nominee of the banned Thai Rak Thai, the court said yesterday.

It ruled the commission was the only body permitted by election law to ask the court to determine if the victorious party had broken the law, thereby leaving the PPP free to form a coalition government next week.

"Only the Election Commission has the power [to file a case]," said the ruling, delivered yesterday afternoon.

It rejected arguments from former Democrat candidate Chaiwat Sinsuwong that the PPP should be disqualified for election breaches.

Earlier in the day Chaiwat resigned from the party after he rejected Democrat leaders' demands he withdraw his allegations. He put a brave face on his defeat, saying he would seek other avenues to have his day in court.

He said the ruling did not consider the question of the status of the PPP as a nominee of the Thai Rak Thai; it simply said it was not within the court's jurisdiction.

He was unable to explain why the commission had ignored his allegations about the distribution of video discs featuring banned politician Thaksin Shinawatra, distributed during the campaign and that the PPP had used the same address as the headquarters of the dissolved Thai Rak Thai.

He said: "We must respect the Election Commission. It's now their responsibility".

Yesterday's court ruling also said the commission was authorised to organise advance polling a week ahead of the general election proper. This meant defeat for Chaiwat on another of his arguments, as well as for a similar petition by New Aspiration Party member Sarawut Thongpen.

The court was filled with both pro-Thaksin groups and those who oppose the former prime minister.

Among the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy members was 70-year-old Rittirong Theochinda. In August last year he was harassed and attacked by security men when he shouted: "Thaksin get out!" as the then leader attended a function at CentralWorld. He told The Nation ahead of the one-hour reading his fears for his safety under a PPP-led coalition government.

These were almost borne out as he left the court. He was spotted by pro-Thaksin groups, who yelled abuse at him. The senior citizen was escorted through the throng by police, who managed to get him into a departing tuk-tuk. He was jostled. Rittirong's face was splashed across newspapers at the time of the CentralWorld incident.

Details of above incident here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=79788&hl=

Supporters, Protesters Of Thaksin Clash At Central World

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Chart Thai resignation

Member quits over PPP links

Chart Thai Party-list candidate Auychai Watha has resigned from the party in protest at its decision to join the People Power Party-led coalition.

"The decision by leader Banharn Silapa-archa is not meant for the country, but a ready formula to team up with the coalition government," he said.

Auychai said civic groups from the Northeast associated with him would sever ties with Chart Thai too.

He is disappointed with Banharn's old-style politicking and predicted a government under Samak Sundaravej would collapse in less than a year.

- The Nation

Sounds like a bit of a juggling act going on there.

The supreme court hands the proxy issue to the EC and the EC hands the red cards to the supreme court to deal with.

A couple of political hot potatoes getting thrown around that no one wants to handle.

I think the EC got the best end of the deal here. No one wants to bring the new government down so soon and create political chaos again.

Even the Democrats have disowned Chaiwat and forced him to resign from the party for making the charges.

Interesting, although brief, profile of Thailand's next Prime Minister...

TV show cook and 'political knife fighter'

If you are a Thai voter longing for ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return, then Samak Sundaravej is your man.

Already popular among the lower-middle class, Samak suddenly found himself much sought after as well by the media, after he agreed to helm Thaksin's PPP.

So said Time magazine in a profile last month that described the former Bangkok governor - tipped to be Thailand's next PM - as "an acid-tongued, fire-breathing ultra-conservative."

Other terms used to describe him:

Abrasive.

Pugnacious.

A political knife fighter.

The 72-year-old has more than half a century in politics and is still going strong. He reportedly "brands his opponents communists" and "street gangsters" and he is not to be taken lightly, reported Time.

As the nominal leader of the pro-Thaksin People Power Party (PPP) - a reincarnation of Thaksin's disbanded Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) political party - he appears set to be the next PM after the PPP won the most seats in the general election, reported Reuters.

Samak has unabashedly declared: "I'm Thaksin's nominee."

Thaksin gave his full support to Samak becoming PM, when he spoke to reporters on the sidelines of an FA Cup match between his Manchester City club and West Ham United on Wednesday.

He also denied that he or his wife would return to Thailand to oversee or influence the new government, reported Bangkok Post.

He said his wife simply "misses the children and wants to be close to them." He said he expects to go back to Thailand in the next two to three months, adding that he misses home.

His chance may certainly come soon, thanks to Samak, who says: "I must grab his hand and bring him back into the limelight."

Samak has promised that, if elected, he will bring back Thaksin and his populist policies, like cheap credit and debt moratoriums.

Born in Bangkok in 1935 into an aristocratic family, Samak earned a law degree from Bangkok's prestigious Thammasat University. He then worked in various jobs as a clerk, tour guide and journalist.

From early on, he assumed a tough public position.

In the mid-70s, he ran a radio campaign against pro-democracy student activists and supported a bloody crackdown on them in October 1976. He also served briefly as Interior Minister in the military-appointed government that followed.

He was a Deputy PM in the early 90s and a minister later that decade. In 2000, he became Bangkok governor, but left office four years later with low approval ratings.

Which may be why he is keen to ally himself with Thaksin, who is still popular in the rural poor areas.

Thaksin was once a political rival and the two men were once publicly admonished by the King for arguing with each other, rather than solving Bangkok's traffic problems.

But Samak is himself popular, especially among lower-middle-class citizens. They admire his strong persona and see him as someone who gets things done, Mr Chris Baker, co-author of Thaksin: The Business of Politics, told Time.

Shopkeepers, taxi drivers and day-labourers love tuning in to Samak's television and radio political talk shows and his immensely popular cooking programmes - to hear him sound off and bash others.

"He's entertainment," said Mr Baker.

Politically, he had recently taken a back seat until he agreed last August to help Thaksin helm the PPP.

- The Electric New Paper

it is obvious to everyone on both sides it is a blatant cloning of the PPP /TRT ect. ect. ect. ect.

Yep, no one is denying the PPP is a clone of TRT. That's why they got elected.

What IS disputed is the charge that the PPP is a proxy for a party that does not exist anymore and that Samak is a proxy for Thaksin.

And those charges are completely baseless. Chaiwat has no proof whatsoever for his claims. The claim is an emotional response based on some personal assumptions. Something that grabs headlines in the media (and chat forums) but has no credibility in a court room.

The EC will have no option but to toss out Chaiwats bogus claims.

Interesting, although brief, profile of Thailand's next Prime Minister...

Politically, he had recently taken a back seat until he agreed last August to help Thaksin helm the PPP.

- The Electric New Paper

Unfortunately for the anti Samak crowd, the personal opinions of newspaper journalists don't hold much credence in the courts either; -- unless backed up with some solid proof. I doubt the prosecution will be calling on the journalist from the above mentioned article to give evidence.