Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

"BANGKOK, JAN 20 (TNA) – The People Power Party (PPP) looked set to regain all 12 parliament seats in by-elections held in six provinces nationwide on Sunday, according to an exit poll conducted by ABAC University." (TNA)

Again, the PPP wins when it (officially) cheats. And wins also when it doesn't cheat (officially).

How do you say "humiliation" in thai ? Could be usefull for the EC and the Junta.

:o

Do we still hear some voices about the illegitimate victory of the PPP ?

Edited by cclub75

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

foreign guests in this country, sometimes with proper visas and work permits and sometimes not,

Just curious, but is there any particular reason this type of statement has become a somewhat often refrain of yours? Is it some thinly-veiled attempt to besmirch some posters or is there some other less insidious reason? I don't see the relevance on the news clipping forum threads, although it might have some on various visa forum topics.

I don't think I have even mentioned the term "work permit" before.In any event I doubt whether there are any Thai Visa members covertly or overtly touting for work on this forum who are not properly legal in terms of appropriate visa, work permit and business license.If there are they would be rather foolish as without being paranoid I'm sure the forum is monitored albeit with a light hand.Anyway that's not my point.

However there is a distinction to be drawn between those who have legitimate reason to be here on a long term basis and those who are more temporary.The latter are of course very welcome as tourists or even as long term residents.However those who have a more permanent stake in the country -and paying Thai income tax is a reasonable test-might reasonably be expected to have a greater grasp of Thai realities.It's not very controversial and certainly not meant to "besmirch" anyone.

But when it's mentioned in the context of posting in the news clipping forum, I fail to see the relevance. There's certainly no litmus test for legitimacy to post here on thaivisa based upon tax status, anymore so than say, marital status. I don't see your point in mentioning any of this once, let alone more than that.

foreign guests in this country, sometimes with proper visas and work permits and sometimes not,

Just curious, but is there any particular reason this type of statement has become a somewhat often refrain of yours? Is it some thinly-veiled attempt to besmirch some posters or is there some other less insidious reason? I don't see the relevance on the news clipping forum threads, although it might have some on various visa forum topics.

I don't think I have even mentioned the term "work permit" before.In any event I doubt whether there are any Thai Visa members covertly or overtly touting for work on this forum who are not properly legal in terms of appropriate visa, work permit and business license.If there are they would be rather foolish as without being paranoid I'm sure the forum is monitored albeit with a light hand.Anyway that's not my point.

However there is a distinction to be drawn between those who have legitimate reason to be here on a long term basis and those who are more temporary.The latter are of course very welcome as tourists or even as long term residents.However those who have a more permanent stake in the country -and paying Thai income tax is a reasonable test-might reasonably be expected to have a greater grasp of Thai realities.It's not very controversial and certainly not meant to "besmirch" anyone.

But when it's mentioned in the context of posting in the news clipping forum, I fail to see the relevance. There's certainly no litmus test for legitimacy to post here on thaivisa based upon tax status, anymore so than say, marital status. I don't see your point in mentioning any of this once, let alone more than that.

SJ seeing as that comment by YH was in reply to my post, I would have to say it is some sort of elaborate attempt at a flame, and that certainly suggests it is not accidental and quite deliberate. He clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it.

I dont really like the line up of the new government anymore than the majority of other posters on TV. But at least it is a Democratically elected Government.

Agreed ... a step in the right direction.

Unlike others I cannot really blame Chart Thai and PPP for joining the coalition - there was no viable option of forming a coalition with the Democrats, so it was joining the PPP or stalemate. I guess I will wish this government well.

What I feel is most important is that the Democrats form an effective opposition and make it clear to the electorate that are the viable alternative to this government rather than the military.

Also agreed, and I feel it was a good sign, that Abhsit was happy to let the larger minority-party have the first go, at forming a coalition, and has also promised to form an effective opposition in the new parliament.

And I hope that opposition to this government remains within the democratic process rather than outside it. I am not especially hopeful.

Do you have any evidence, of ill-intentions by the Democrats, or were you referring to other parties outside parliament ?

Would you agree that, for those of us who are retired & therefore cannot pay tax on any Thai income, paying all the other minor taxes and actually living here permanently supporting our mainly-Thai-national families, also passes your test ? Or do I have to go back to work ??

I never said anything about legitimacy.Everybody has the right to post.However on some Thai specific subjects those who have been here a long time, worked at a senior level in an organisation, paid tax, inter-reacted with Thai civil servants and businessmen etc may be of more interest than someone -to take an extreme example-on a 2 week holiday in Pattaya.Perhaps I have unwittingly touched a raw nerve here.Unless you wish to discuss this rather unimportant point further, suggest drop the subject and return to topic,

I never said anything about legitimacy.Everybody has the right to post.However on some Thai specific subjects those who have been here a long time, worked at a senior level in an organisation, paid tax, inter-reacted with Thai civil servants and businessmen etc may be of more interest than someone -to take an extreme example-on a 2 week holiday in Pattaya.Perhaps I have unwittingly touched a raw nerve here.Unless you wish to discuss this rather unimportant point further, suggest drop the subject and return to topic,

Personally, it's not a "raw nerve" for me in the slightest. I just found it curious as to why you repeated the phraseology on occasion as it very much implies legitimacy to posting in the context of the paragraphs with which it has been used previously. Your reiteration that somehow, for Thai-subject posting (which would probably encompass 95% of the news clipping forum), that tax status or work status is a factor in determining whether an opinion is interesting or more valid is not unlike the elitists you rail against.

Personally, it's not a "raw nerve" for me in the slightest. I just found it curious as to why you repeated the phraseology on occasion as it very much implies legitimacy to posting in the context of the paragraphs with which it has been used previously. Your reiteration that somehow, for Thai-subject posting (which would probably encompass 95% of the news clipping forum), that tax status or work status is a factor in determining whether an opinion is interesting or more valid is not unlike the elitists you rail against.

But I am an elitist, and unapologetically so !

Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins......

The vote count shows PPP wins....

The by-elections show PPP wins....

If its democracy you want then you'll have to admit that PPP is the winner.....the people showed their support in the general elections and showed their continued support in the by-elections. It seems that any irregularities that happened in the general election are not the reason why the PPP showed such a strong performance....it seems that the people who voted for PPP actually want PPP to form the gov't. It seems that in the by-elections concluded today that the PPP did even better than they did in the general election....imagine that.

I'm sure there will be lots to discuss once the PPP sets up shop.

Chownah

Low turnout in by-elections in 6 provinces

By-elections were held Sunday in six provinces, with Election Commission (EC) officials projected voter turnout would only be around half of total eligible voters.

The by-elections were being held in the northeastern provinces of Nakhon Ratchasima, Sakon Nakhon and Udon Thani, in the North in Lampang and Phrae provinces and in the Central province of Nakhon Nayok.

EC officials said they expected about 50 per cent of eligible voters would exercise their right in the by-elections, organised after EC authorities handout out yellow cards to winners in the December 23 general election for alleged involvement in electoral wrongdoing.

More: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125294

You know this sounds so much like;

"Unless you pay us we won't vote."

or

"Now that we are in we don't need you."

By-elections were held Sunday in six provinces, with Election Commission (EC) officials projected voter turnout would only be around half of total eligible voters.

The by-elections were being held in the northeastern provinces of Nakhon Ratchasima, Sakon Nakhon and Udon Thani, in the North in Lampang and Phrae provinces and in the Central province of Nakhon Nayok.

EC officials said they expected about 50 per cent of eligible voters would exercise their right in the by-elections, organised after EC authorities handout out yellow cards to winners in the December 23 general election for alleged involvement in electoral wrongdoing.

or

"In general the atmosphere at polling booths was reported to be dull, attributed to the fact some eligible voters did not know by-elections were being held in their provinces, while others were working and still others were "tired" of the election activities."

or

"In general the atmosphere at polling booths was reported to be dull, attributed to the fact some eligible voters did not know by-elections were being held in their provinces, while others were working and still others were "tired" of the election activities."

I think that would support not bothering to get the vote out and "Now that we are in we don't need you."

If its democracy you want then you'll have to admit that PPP is the winner.....the people showed their support in the general elections and showed their continued support in the by-elections. It seems that any irregularities that happened in the general election are not the reason why the PPP showed such a strong performance....it seems that the people who voted for PPP actually want PPP to form the gov't. It seems that in the by-elections concluded today that the PPP did even better than they did in the general election....imagine that.

Chownah

Yes, the PPP has won. Now we await to see if the country has won. There are many economic problems that face them and there is no safety net underneath them. It is now time for the PPP to put up or shut up.

Chownah

Yes, the PPP has won. Now we await to see if the country has won. There are many economic problems that face them and there is no safety net underneath them. It is now time for the PPP to put up or shut up.

Seeing as Samak can’t even pull it together to answer a few simple one line questions for the media, I don’t see much hope in anything more complex like running a country.

"BANGKOK, JAN 20 (TNA) – The People Power Party (PPP) looked set to regain all 12 parliament seats in by-elections held in six provinces nationwide on Sunday, according to an exit poll conducted by ABAC University." (TNA)

Again, the PPP wins when it (officially) cheats. And wins also when it doesn't cheat (officially).

How do you say "humiliation" in thai ? Could be usefull for the EC and the Junta.

:o

Do we still hear some voices about the illegitimate victory of the PPP ?

Actually it was time the EC stopped the by-elections, otherwise the PPP would have got the absolute majority at the parliament. :D

well, he's certainly is off to a roaring start....

SAMAK LOSES HIS COOL AGAIN

Refuses to answer most questions

A press conference held yesterday to announce the formation of a six-party coalition did not go as smoothly as planned for PPP leader Samak Sundaravej. A storm of questions from journalists ruffled the 72-year-old's feathers who could not hide his displeasure. Like his previous confrontations with the media, Samak did well again by dominating the stage and offering no substantial answers. Most members of the press wanted to know whether the five political parties would throw their support for sure behind his bid to become prime minister. Quickly responding to the question in his usual style, he suddenly turned the mood of newshounds hostile. "How can you ask this kind of question? I don't want to answer it," he bawled. The situation worsened when AP journalist Sutin Wannabovorn, who was caught in a similar situation once before with Samak firing away, insisted on an answer. "If you don't expect us to ask who will become PM, what else should this event be all about?'' said Sutin. Samak shouted back the answer would be given in parliament. The war of words continued between them, upsetting a group of PPP members in the room who booed and jeered at the newsman. When facing more questions, Samak chose not to answer and cut it short by saying: "I'm not a fortune teller." When the Bangkok Post questioned the representatives of the PPP's allies, asking them what criteria they would use to choose a PM, and what kind of leadership and judgment they expect from the new premier, Samak bluntly shot back: "That question is too long and it wouldn't be answered," he said before closing the press conference.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/20Jan2008_news10.php

Same same!

Loop the loop!

samaksin1a.jpgsamaksin1.jpg

Here we go again, back to the schoolyard.Ah well.

I think this is the 4th time you bother commenting on my caricatures this way and the 4th time I suggest YOU USE THE MANAGE IGNORED USERS FUNCTION IN YOUR CONTROL PANEL and add the name Tony Clifton to that list!

I like to express thoughts through doctored images and have never been ordered to stop doing so on here.

COALITION CRISIS

Trouble looms for govt

Dissolution of key parties still likely; Chart Thai hit by hail of hate calls

Despite Saturday's declaration of a six-party coalition, political uncertainties continued yesterday following a reports that Chart Thai and the Matchima Thipataya parties face possible dissolution for alleged electoral offences by key members.

The Election Commission's panel tasked with investigating the parties' poll violation cases have reportedly found enough grounds to proceed against the two allies of the People Power Party, which on Saturday declared its formation of a coalition government.

The cases involved the parties' executives who are accused of committing serious electoral offences and who were given red cards, EC sources said yesterday.

If the EC approves the panel's findings, it will have to seek a Constitution Court decision on the fate of the parties.

"Whatever befalls the two parties will affect the PPP whose party deputy leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat is also under investigation for electoral fraud and faces being handed a red card,'' one source said.

Chart Thai deputy-secretary general Monthien Songpracha and Matchima Thipataya Party deputy leader Sunthorn Vilawan were given red cards. Under new electoral rules, a political party is accountable for electoral offences involving party executives.

Article 103 of the Constitution organic law on the election of MPs and senators stipulates that if there is incriminating evidence that party leaders or executives committed wilful neglect or did not stop electoral fraud, it will be regarded that the party was seeking power through undemocratic mean and had violated the Constitution.

In such a situation, the EC can ask the Constitution Court to disband a party and bans its leaders from politics for five years.

Under the law, party members of the dissolved parties must find new parties within 60 days.

The source said the panel will soon wrap up its report on the possibility of dissolving the parties.

"It will take at least three months to see if the two parties will be dissolved,'' the EC source said.

Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa reportedly became stressful after he was informed about the development.

To lessen damage to the party, he has come up with a back-up plan in case the party is dissolved by making Sanan Kachornprasart the leader of a new party.

Sanan will not get any Cabinet seat and holds only party advisor post in Chart Thai, thus getting immunity in the case the party was disbanded.

In the Cabinet allocation, a Chart Thai source said the party had decided to assign its secretary-general Prapat Photasuthon as Agriculture minister, deputy party leader Weerasak Kwosurat as Education minister and deputy secretary-general Warawuth Silapa-archa as Social Development and Human Security minister.

Also under the plan, Akapol Sorasuchart will be deputy Transport minister while Somsak Prissanananthakul will become deputy prime minister and not accept the deputy House Speaker post.

Banharn also has another back-up plan in case his son Warawuth does not receive a ministerial post as he only turns 35 on July 11. The minimum legal age for Cabinet members is 35.

In such a case, Banharn wants Somsak to take Social Development and Human Security and Prapat to serve as deputy PM and Jongchai Thiangtham becomes Agriculture minister.

EC member Sumeth Ubanisakorn said the EC has yet to receive the results of the examination by the panel.

At the same time, Chart Thai Party has received a lot of hate calls after it decided to join the People Power Party-led coalition, a high-ranking party source said yesterday.

He said non-stop phone calls criticising the party had prompted several Chart Thai members to discuss whether joining the coalition was worth all the complaints.

"We will have to obey every one of their orders because they are the biggest party," the source said of the People Power-led coalition.

"We don't know how long we can cope with the conditions because public sentiment is very strong.

"Many members of the public strongly criticised us, saying the party leader did not honour his words. We are under a great deal of pressure because we can't answer these charges."

The source said the allocation of Cabinet seats among the partners had not been completed.

"We have not received some of our demands but we expect it will be done soon. We believe our party leader Banharn Silapa-archa can handle this," the source said.

Meanwhile, People Power deputy leader General Ruangroj Mahasaranont said the defence minister post should go to a retired military officer who knows active military officers so that it would be easier for him to give orders and coordinate movements.

Ruangroj, a former supreme commander, was commenting on speculation that People Power leader Samak Sundaravej might become Defence minister concurrently with the prime ministership.

He said the issue would depend on the party's resolution but he was ready to become the Defence minister if asked.

People Power party-list MP Yongyuth Tiyapairat yesterday said the Defence minister post need not go to a former military officer.

"What matters most is the Defence minister needs to help the country move on and work well with the military," Yongyuth said.

Matchima Thipataya deputy leader Banyin Tangpakorn said his party would definitely vote for Samak as the next prime minister and he believed the Chart Thai and Puea Pandin parties would also vote in support of Samak's nomination.

The Nation

Officials face revenge

The People Power Party will punish government officials who colluded with the junta to prevent the party winning the election.

A party member said prosecutions would be both criminal and for electoral law breaches.

Party-list member of Parliament Chaowarin Latthasaksiri said it had "concrete evidence" implicating permanent officials in trying to prevent the party winning the election.

A special committee, which will be set up soon as a special panel, will investigate the allegations.

"But this is not revenge against the Council for National Security," Chaowarin said.

People Power alleged the council had a four-step plan to derail the party's election campaign.

However, the council denied this and said the information People Power was working from was another matter and had been abandoned.

But Chaowarin contended the council's plan against People Power had been implemented.

"We have clear evidence the plan was implemented. Teams were formed and deployed to provinces to do everything to prevent People Power candidates from winning," Chaowarin alleged.

"Officials were trained by staff of the National Security Centre who are experts on intelligence gathering."

Nakhon Ratchasima deputy governor Thongchai Lue-adul ordered state officials in Pak Thong Chai and Wang Nam Kheow districts to dig for dirt on People Power candidates or make false allegations against them.

He asserted a high-ranking Interior Ministry official engaged several Northeast district chiefs to prevent People Power candidates from winning. He said rival candidates bought votes.

"We will not let these actions go unpunished. We will investigate and bring officials who were not neutral and who violated election and criminal laws to justice," Chaowarin said.

He said action was required to prevent these officials abusing authority in future elections.

The Nation

here it comes.... Now back on to talking about the next coup.

Edited by John K

Well it did not take very long, in fact Thai time in reverse. They have not even had their first assembly and they are already drawing up the hit list. Sounds like Thaksin all over. As per my prediction a day or so ago about when the next coup would be. I predicted sooner and not later. I think I can hear them fueling up the tanks now.

Edited by John K

Keep those caricatures coming Tony! :D There's plenty out here who think that a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes and appreciate your sense of humour. :o

The not even thinly-veiled threats to officials who did not support PPP is bloody typical of the man. I guess we can expect to see the Village Scouts and Red Gaur on the streets again outing non-PPP citizens if he stays in the job for more than a month or two. I would forecast some might flee to the jungles once he gets sworn in, if only there were some jungles to flee to. Maybe Malaysia, Laos and Cambodia can expect some long-stay Thai visitors soon? :D

Just pointing out the order of business on the PPP to do list, taking care of the country does not appear to be on the first page. Undoing everything and resetting the clock to September 18, 2006 is however top priority. Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

Yes sir I can hear them tanks rolling now.

20071002082450_thaksin.jpg

CPD urges coalition government not to abuse its authority

The Campaign for Popular Democracy (CPD) yesterday urged the new coalition government led by the PPP not to abuse its authority to protect ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who is facing corruption charges, and not to help former TRT executives banned from politics for electoral fraud. CPD Secretary-General Suriyasai Katasila also called on the general public to closely monitor the work of the new coalition government to make sure that it does not help Thaksin and the 111 banned TRT politicians. The new coalition would have to be barred from dissolving the Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC), which is investigating corruption allegations against Thaksin, and from interfering with the justice system which is handling Thaksin's corruption cases, he added. They also must not meddle with the armed forces, which toppled Thaksin in the coup. Suriyasai also criticised some coalition parties for their about-face in joining the PPP. He also warned coalition parties to be aware that despite its majority vote in the House, a government could face serious protests and lose office if it abuses its authority. Suriyasai questioned the power of the PPP Leader in the party, given that he has not received support from other parties to be the government leader

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/21Jan2008_news09.php

Same same!

Loop the loop!

Media gets set for another battle with Samak and Company

Thai politics cleared another hurdle after the Supreme Court ruled last week that it had no authority to rule on the status of the People Power Party (PPP).

Over the weekend, the representatives of six parties gave a press conference about the formation of new civilian government, which will be completed in two weeks. The possibility is high that Samak Sundaravej, a right-wing demagogue, will be named prime minister when Parliament convenes its first session shortly. If that is the case, the Thai media community has much to be worried about.

Samak has a long history of conflict with the media. Even though he has spent most of his life as a public figure, he has not shown an understanding or appreciation of media professionalism. Worse, in his younger days he was a journalist. Every time he encounters journalists he loves to heap insults on them without reservation or shame. He is also the most insensitive Thai leader there is when it comes to gender issues. When a female reporter recently asked him if rumours of infighting within the PPP were true, he responded by asking her whether she had "sinful sex" on the previous night.

At the press conference on Saturday, there seemed to be a sinister tactic at work - media intimidation. When pressed by journalists about the chances of him assuming the premiership, he shrugged them off. Then, a group of PPP supporters took the floor and immediately criticised journalists for asking questions. In response, Samak was smiling and said he loved it. If this pattern continues, it should surprise nobody if in the future when pivotal issues are up for debate, that journalists would be targets for intimidation by PPP mobs and supporters.

Reporters at Government House confirmed that some current PPP supporters were regulars at numerous press conferences during the Thaksin years. They were given access to the weekly press conferences even though they were not reporters.

They were there to spy on reporters and if necessary to intimidate them.

Indeed, Samak has displayed an attitude towards the media that was similar to that of Thaksin. This was exactly why Thaksin chose Samak to be his surrogate. During his six years in power, Thaksin managed to manipulate all forms of media with full efficiency. He constantly undermined journalists' access to information and the operation of media outlets, especially broadcasting outlets and community radio stations, which have the broadest reach to audiences around the country. Likewise, the freedom of information law, enacted in 1997, has been used not only to delay disclosure, but also to prevent access to information.

Throughout Samak's long political career, the veteran politician has always been a formidable spin-master who knows how to manipulate the press. When he spoke out aggressively against the media, he was taking advantage of public disenchantment with the press. He has often portrayed himself as a victim of media bias and discrimination, or, worse, as the victim of a conspiracy.

Over the weekend, Samak resorted to his same old antics of trying to antagonise the media. He hopes the public's sympathy for him will increase in step with the media's anger towards him. Then he will proceed to incite divisiveness, particularly between the rural masses and the urban middle class.

After all, he once succeeded in mobilising right-wing mobs by creating a communist scare, which led to political turmoil and a military coup in 1976. For this, he was rewarded with the post of Interior Minister.

During his brief stint as Interior Minister, he cracked down on the press and temporarily shut down this newspaper for making critical comments against the military government. Those who are old enough to recall those horrible days know and understand Samak's motives all too well.

With this background, the new government would not want to see media serve as a platform for democratic discourse.

The idea that media should reflect and represent the diversity of views and interests in society would be further curtailed, especially among electronic and digital media outlets. The ongoing effort to build the first public broadcasting service could be tampered with. The Thai Public Broadcasting Service, which was transformed from privately run iTV, formerly owned by Thaksin, is recruiting staff to prepare for its first broadcast in early February. {The implementation of the new Press Registration Act could be further delayed if the amendments on ministerial regulations do not go through now.}

The Thai media have suffered from a downward trend after Thaksin took the helm in early 2001. It has not yet recovered. Certainly with the arrival of a new government, one normally hopes that press freedom would get a new life and that the reputation of Thailand's free press could be restored, as it used to rank very high in lists compiled by international free-media monitoring organisations. But somehow Samak and his cohorts want to use his abrasive style to divide and displace the media.

- The Nation Opinion Page

A press conference held yesterday to announce the formation of a six-party coalition did not go as smoothly as planned for PPP leader Samak Sundaravej. A storm of questions from journalists ruffled the 72-year-old's feathers who could not hide his displeasure. Like his previous confrontations with the media, Samak did well again by dominating the stage and offering no substantial answers. Most members of the press wanted to know whether the five political parties would throw their support for sure behind his bid to become prime minister. Quickly responding to the question in his usual style, he suddenly turned the mood of newshounds hostile. "How can you ask this kind of question? I don't want to answer it," he bawled. The situation worsened when AP journalist Sutin Wannabovorn, who was caught in a similar situation once before with Samak firing away, insisted on an answer. "If you don't expect us to ask who will become PM, what else should this event be all about?'' said Sutin. Samak shouted back the answer would be given in parliament. The war of words continued between them, upsetting a group of PPP members in the room who booed and jeered at the newsman. When facing more questions, Samak chose not to answer and cut it short by saying: "I'm not a fortune teller." When the Bangkok Post questioned the representatives of the PPP's allies, asking them what criteria they would use to choose a PM, and what kind of leadership and judgment they expect from the new premier, Samak bluntly shot back: "That question is too long and it wouldn't be answered," he said before closing the press conference.

Continued here:

Same same!

Loop the loop!

I think this is the 4th time you bother commenting on my caricatures this way and the 4th time I suggest YOU USE THE MANAGE IGNORED USERS FUNCTION IN YOUR CONTROL PANEL and add the name Tony Clifton to that list!

I like to express thoughts through doctored images and have never been ordered to stop doing so on here.

Nobody is telling you not to produce your pictures.I'm sure there are some who find them amusing.I simply expressed a personal view they are infantile and lower the level of discussion

Continued here:

Same same!

Loop the loop!

Nobody is telling you not to produce your pictures.I'm sure there are some who find them amusing.I simply expressed a personal view they are infantile and lower the level of discussion

IMHO it was Thaksin, using his good-question/bad-question signs at press-conferences, who was infantile & lowered the level of discussion and respect for his then-position, and the Samak-photo merely serves to remind us of those dismal days, and the likelihood that they may now be returning. :o

Keep it up Tony - we all need to find whatever humour the situation may contain. :D

Keep those caricatures coming Tony! :D There's plenty out here who think that a picture is worth a thousand words sometimes and appreciate your sense of humour. :o

seconded, thirded, fourthded fithded ect ect ect

The not even thinly-veiled threats to officials who did not support PPP is bloody typical of the man. I guess we can expect to see the Village Scouts and Red Gaur on the streets again outing non-PPP citizens if he stays in the job for more than a month or two. I would forecast some might flee to the jungles once he gets sworn in, if only there were some jungles to flee to. Maybe Malaysia, Laos and Cambodia can expect some long-stay Thai visitors soon? :D

My wife didn,t go back to vote on principle, along with many many more who do not agree with candidates who have been allowed to re stand after blatantly cheating.

Add to this all those who came home to vote locally rather than do it somewhere else ect. ect. ( Thai culture and family come into play here. )

Plus the fact it is already orchestrated / determined by even more under the counter payments.

Anyone who says otherwise is in total denial of the truth.

These victories are meaningless as an indication of genuinely gaining popularity ect .ect.

What bullshi* this is.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

Thai King signs royal decree for 1st parliamentary session

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej Sunday signed a Royal Decree, approving the first parliamentary session after the Dec. 23 general election to be held on Monday.

Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn will preside over the opening ceremony at the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall of Dusit Palace at 4:30 p.m. Monday (0930 GMT), the official Thai News Agency reported.

The royal command came after the Election Commission (EC) had endorsed 460 seats altogether by Friday, reaching the minimum number of 480 in the Lower House required by the Constitution to open parliament. The law also stipulated the first parliamentary session be convened no later than 30 days after a general election.

On Saturday, the People Power Party (PPP) -- which landed a victory in the post-coup general election -- and five smaller political parties jointly announced their intention to form a coalition government.

Joining the PPP in the coalition government are the Chart Thai, Puea Pandin, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana, Pracharaj and Matchima Tipataya parties.

Their formal agreement to join the coalition government leaves the Democrat Party, which gained second place in the general election, to sit alone on the opposition bench in the House of Representatives (Lower House).

PPP's victory in the general election was partly attributed to its campaign to bring back former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a military coup in September 2006.

Source: Xinhua - 21 January 2008

seconded, thirded, fourthded fithded ect ect ect

My wife didn,t go back to vote on principle, along with many many more who do not agree with candidates who have been allowed to re stand after blatantly cheating.

Add to this all those who came home to vote locally rather than do it somewhere else ect. ect. ( Thai culture and family come into play here. )

Plus the fact it is already orchestrated / determined by even more under the counter payments.

Anyone who says otherwise is in total denial of the truth.

These victories are meaningless as an indication of genuinely gaining popularity ect .ect.

What bullshi* this is.

marshbags

Marshbags,

This is Thai politics....your final comment is like pointing to the steaming pile under a bull's tail and exclaiming, "What bullshi* this is."!!!!!

chownah

Chart Thai Deputy Leader says ministerial proportions cannot yet be deciphered

Deputy Leader of the Chart Thai Party Somsak Prisananuntakul (สมศักดิ์ ปริศนานันทกุล) revealed that the issue of ministerial quotas for each coalition member party will be clarified after the first parliament gathering. Mr. Somsak says the proportioning of ministerial positions between parties cannot yet be done as the government is awaiting official approvals by the Election Commission (EC).

The EC has temporarily approved 460 MPs so that the parliament may convene but the temporary status makes the government unable to allot quotas for ministerial positions to each political party. Nonetheless, the People’s Power Party, which is leading the coalition, has asked that each party report on which positions they are interested in and positions their members have served in before consideration.

The issue of ministerial positions will be decided by People’s Power Party members Doctor Surapong Suebwonglee (สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี), Yongyuth Thiyaphairat (ยงยุทธ ติยะไพรัช) and Somchai Wongsawas (สมชาย วงศ์สวัสดิ์).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 January 2008

I'll try and dodge the minefield of personal stuff here.

Looking at post 2183 - "Coaliton Crisis" re posible disolution of Chart Thai and Matchimawhatsit Party (with an honoury mention of possible PPP diso) and post 2184 "Officials Face Revenge", we see the battle move into a new but still contiuing sphere with the formation of the government now imminent. While punishing vote cheats and manipulators to full extent of the law cannot be criticised and both iof these reports cover that area, it still all needs to be seen in the context of the ongoing power struggle, which it seems is still not at conclusion. This probably does not auger well fo national reconcilliation, whatever that actually means (can anyone define it in a non-partisan way, or is it just a politcal throw away meme?) even if the current PM would like evryone to get round a table and kiss and make up.