Future Water Shortages Forecast

jonniebkk

Today's Post has an article on predicted water shortages within the next 5 years along the Eastern seaboard due to increased water usage by the industrial and hospitality industries. What struck me was the mention of B 300 BILLION of planned investment in new industrial plants, particularly in the petro-chemical industries. That's about US$ 10 billion dollars. That's a hel_l of allot of new plants sucking up a large amount of water.

I guess in a few years, will have to add another storage tank to the house again.

There was some talk about linking the main water supply, Lake Mabprachan with some of the other reservoirs in the area. To date they have only been digging lots of road fill out of Lake Mabprachan to make it bigger, still no sign of new pipes coming from afar.

Maybe they will do that after they complete the planned landscaping of the lake, so they have to dig it all up again.

The water for the industrial areas in AMp Tha Phut and Rayong doesn't come from Mabprachan though so nothing to worry about there.

I've noticed on Google Earth that there seems to be a large body of water out along Chaipruek (sp) Road to the East of Sukhumvit.

Anyone konw anything about it and why it's not linked to Mabprachan?

The water for the industrial areas in AMp Tha Phut and Rayong doesn't come from Mabprachan though so nothing to worry about there.

I've noticed on Google Earth that there seems to be a large body of water out along Chaipruek (sp) Road to the East of Sukhumvit.

This is also a reservoir, about the same size as Mabprachan in recent years it has filled up considerably, where it feeds etc, I don't know?

This is also a reservoir, about the same size as Mabprachan in recent years it has filled up considerably, where it feeds etc, I don't know?

Do you mean Bang Phra Reservoir? Between Chonburi and Si Racha?

It`s quite easy to figure out that with an already frequently interrupted service and simply the obvious amount of houses/appartments being built (leave out industries), they`re headed for a disaster. No plannning whatsoever, they only react to shortages. A pipe line was installed to suck heavily polluted water from the Bang Pakong river to the Bang Phra reservoir, untreated. Later on they`ll have a toxic reservoir to deal with when it was quite healthy to begin with.

Bottled water anyone? :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

One wonders how they are going to supply the water for the new condominium building Ocean One. Not to mention the sewage treatment needs. Also, all the other necessary infrastructure.

Very simple.............they won't. The authorities never consider infrastructure until there is a problem then they do too little too late and then they end up doing it all over again. This is why the roads around Pattaya are constantly being dug up. Lack of planning, incompetance and corruption are the hallmarks of Thai local and national government.

Yes, there is a lot of industrial development planned, and in design phase, for Map Tha Phut all of which will need water. Domestic demand is peanuts when compared to what industry uses 24/7 and these guys have the political clout. The local population and in particular the farming community are in for a hard time.

Chark Nork reservoir

A pipe line was installed to suck heavily polluted water from the Bang Pakong river to the Bang Phra reservoir, untreated. Later on they`ll have a toxic reservoir to deal with when it was quite healthy to begin with.

Yeah...in every story you always read about them talking about laying pipelines from the Bang Pakong river to reservoirs here and there. Is the Bang Pakong river that brown slow-moving Chao Praya wannabe that you cross over about a hour on the drive to Bangkok? If that's the water they are planning to use to fill the reservoirs for industrial and residential purposes heaven help us. I mean, where they are drawing from is only a few km from where it dumps into the gulf. It has run its course through industrial and farming areas and by the intake point, who know what the heck is in that water!!!

A pipe line was installed to suck heavily polluted water from the Bang Pakong river to the Bang Phra reservoir, untreated. Later on they`ll have a toxic reservoir to deal with when it was quite healthy to begin with.

Yeah...in every story you always read about them talking about laying pipelines from the Bang Pakong river to reservoirs here and there. Is the Bang Pakong river that brown slow-moving Chao Praya wannabe that you cross over about a hour on the drive to Bangkok? If that's the water they are planning to use to fill the reservoirs for industrial and residential purposes heaven help us. I mean, where they are drawing from is only a few km from where it dumps into the gulf. It has run its course through industrial and farming areas and by the intake point, who know what the heck is in that water!!!

That's the river. Drawing domestic supply water from there would be no problem if they passed it through a decent water treatment plant. But there we come across another infrastructure problem. Is the capacity of existing water treatment facilities sufficient to meet increased demand? If not when will they build additional water treatment plant(s)?

Answers on a postcard.