Snail Mail Volume Declining: Economic Slowdown

george

Declining volume of holiday mail reflects economic slowdown: Thailand Post

BANGKOK: -- The volume of calendars and New Year's cards to be delivered for the New Year is declining, a fact which reflects the slowdown of the Thai economy, according to Thailand Post, which operates letter and parcel delivery services.

Thailand Post said in a statement that not only was there a reduced number of New Year's cards and calendars, but also delivery is delayed when compare with last year.

It said the cards and parcels for New Year were mostly started sending in November but this year the public began sending the mailing items in December which eventually delay the procedure.

Some companies handed the calendars to their customers directly instead of using mailing services.

The numbers of New Year cards during December 1-17 was declining, as letters, cards, and calendars during that period were 2.5 million items per day on average, a 2.5 per cent increased from normal days which was considered a low growth rate.

However, the Thailand Post had found that the registered mail service and Express Mail Service (EMS) increased by 39 per cent, from 160,000 items daily to 277,000 items.

The rising trend was because of many documents related to stocks in the Stock Exchange of Thailand were sent during that period.

--TNA 2007-12-27

Wouldn't have anything to do with the un-reliability of their normal postal service now, would it?

Normal service down - EMS guaranteed service up?????

I have been a supporter of well improved postal services over the last couple of years, well, I finally caught the little buggers yesterday. A parcel for me and my kids arrived EMS from Australia, Christmas presents a little late from my sister. The sticky flap had been reglued, detectable with close scrutiny. My daughters presents were small and untouched, mine, a book had the wrapping torn along the face of the book. A postal worker has opened the parcel, has left the smaller gifts feeling that they would be cheap kids presents, but he has gone straight to the book........... where he knows......... lots of Thais send money to each other at New Years in the form of cash. He has rifled through the books pages, found nothing, placed the book back in the parcel with torn wrapping, and resealed the parcel. Nothing lost, I for one would have loved to have seen a paint bomb in the book to mark the sly mongrel.

On the other hand, he might have just taken the book "Australian Army Forces SAS" home for reading up on how to be a Navy Seal!!!

Wouldn't have anything to do with the un-reliability of their normal postal service now, would it?

Normal service down - EMS guaranteed service up?????

I have been a supporter of well improved postal services over the last couple of years, well, I finally caught the little buggers yesterday. A parcel for me and my kids arrived EMS from Australia, Christmas presents a little late from my sister. The sticky flap had been reglued, detectable with close scrutiny. My daughters presents were small and untouched, mine, a book had the wrapping torn along the face of the book. A postal worker has opened the parcel, has left the smaller gifts feeling that they would be cheap kids presents, but he has gone straight to the book........... where he knows......... lots of Thais send money to each other at New Years in the form of cash. He has rifled through the books pages, found nothing, placed the book back in the parcel with torn wrapping, and resealed the parcel. Nothing lost, I for one would have loved to have seen a paint bomb in the book to mark the sly mongrel.

On the other hand, he might have just taken the book "Australian Army Forces SAS" home for reading up on how to be a Navy Seal!!!

Well, so far we have recieved4 or 5 calendars. The ones with pictures of the king are all proudly displayed troughout the house. But suspect my wife have made the one with pictures of scantily clad girls in see trough wet t-shirst disappear, as it is nowhere to be seen :o

Declining volume of holiday mail reflects economic slowdown: Thailand Post

BANGKOK: -- The volume of calendars and New Year's cards to be delivered for the New Year is declining, a fact which reflects the slowdown of the Thai economy, according to Thailand Post, which operates letter and parcel delivery services.

Thailand Post said in a statement that not only was there a reduced number of New Year's cards and calendars, but also delivery is delayed when compare with last year.

It said the cards and parcels for New Year were mostly started sending in November but this year the public began sending the mailing items in December which eventually delay the procedure.

Some companies handed the calendars to their customers directly instead of using mailing services.

The numbers of New Year cards during December 1-17 was declining, as letters, cards, and calendars during that period were 2.5 million items per day on average, a 2.5 per cent increased from normal days which was considered a low growth rate.

However, the Thailand Post had found that the registered mail service and Express Mail Service (EMS) increased by 39 per cent, from 160,000 items daily to 277,000 items.

The rising trend was because of many documents related to stocks in the Stock Exchange of Thailand were sent during that period.

I guess it is not a priority for people to send greeting cards and presents to Christmas and New Year when it is an economic slowdown. Will believe most tighten the belt if the income source is slower than usual.

Personally I have mostly positive thing to say about Thailand Post. I have sent and received parcels through their system for nearly a decade and the only missing items are a couple of letters. (Nock on wood)

This year’s shipment of Christmas parcels to Europe set a record. I sent five parcels on

7. December. Two normal airmail parcels, and three parcels registered airmail. The two unregistered parcels were at my local post office in Europe 13. December and the 3 registered was there 19. December.

Usually I have had to send the annually Christmas parcels back home not later than the last week of November and I’m always a bit exited if the parcel gets home in time if I’m a bit late and wait to the first week of December.

:o Thailand Post

Thai Post is the most reliable of all the services we use by a large margin.

Far more efficient and reliable than Royal Mail/Parcelforce, Singpore Post, Australia Post, etc, etc, etc.

I'm not sure I'd agree with you but factoring in the phonetic addressing, of which there can be several versions, and I think they are pretty good except for the pilfering which goes on in any postal service.

Interesting news! Thanks for posting.

Months ago TV said the sale of instant noodle was up. This showed that people wanted to save money. They didn't want to drive out to eat like they did before. Oil price was up.

Same as when you recently see signage boards "land for sale", "house for sale" everywhere compared with years ago, you know that people are having troubles. Lands and houses are what no one wants to sell except those having that as business.