Help For American, Advice Needed

funfun

Hi all

there is an american in hospital who went in for a siezeure, now he is covered by bupa and they have or are sorting the bill, he is whoever not right mentally, alcohol is a big problem and financial he has got massive problems, he cant tell much truth, and there are visa issues too.

i have e-mailed his family with no reply, the hospital want him out now as they say he is ok yet he has bars on the balcony so they know he aint wright.

he really should be (my opinion) back in america in maybe an institute or clinic or somthing, i thiught of contacting the american embassy but fearb that maybe the follow the rules he might end up in a monkey house.

any ideas anyone?

This is not a begging letter as money is not the only problem, the guy tells me he is ex army, now maybe he is lieing i dont know but is there an ex army unit or help centre in thailand or anywhere i can email?

he is telling me bupa wont fly him home unless he's dead,as he hasnt got em vac!

jokes and funny replies not really needed this morning please but any advice well needed

Many thanks chris

Hi all

there is an american in hospital who went in for a siezeure, now he is covered by bupa and they have or are sorting the bill, he is whoever not right mentally, alcohol is a big problem and financial he has got massive problems, he cant tell much truth, and there are visa issues too.

i have e-mailed his family with no reply, the hospital want him out now as they say he is ok yet he has bars on the balcony so they know he aint wright.

he really should be (my opinion) back in america in maybe an institute or clinic or somthing, i thiught of contacting the american embassy but fearb that maybe the follow the rules he might end up in a monkey house.

any ideas anyone?

This is not a begging letter as money is not the only problem, the guy tells me he is ex army, now maybe he is lieing i dont know but is there an ex army unit or help centre in thailand or anywhere i can email?

he is telling me bupa wont fly him home unless he's dead,as he hasnt got em vac!

jokes and funny replies not really needed this morning please but any advice well needed

Many thanks chris

What are you waiting for - go to the US Embasy and ask for advice. If he is flown back and put in a nut house, he'll problably be in beter shape than being on the streets in Bangkok. Not sure if the embasy will help, but it is a good start.

Hi all

any ideas anyone?

Many thanks chris

What are you waiting for - go to the US Embasy and ask for advice. If he is flown back and put in a nut house, he'll problably be in beter shape than being on the streets in Bangkok. Not sure if the embasy will help, but it is a good start.

cheers just done that, took stonemans advice googled it and sent a letter, again many thanks will pm you both with result.

thanks again

ACS...there to help Americans in trouble....55555555...in your dreams.

sorry to seem cold but guys like you mention make their own bed and IMHO and have to sleep in them. best thing for him may be a stay in the monkey house. at least it might sober him up. it's guys like him that give all us expats a bad name in the eyes of the locals and one of the reasons they keep upping the paperwork hassles for long-term stayers.

Hi all

any ideas anyone?

Many thanks chris

If he is retired military maybe JusMag in Bangkok can help. They take care of free (mac) flights ect.

ACS...there to help Americans in trouble....55555555...in your dreams.

sorry to seem cold but guys like you mention make their own bed and IMHO and have to sleep in them. best thing for him may be a stay in the monkey house. at least it might sober him up. it's guys like him that give all us expats a bad name in the eyes of the locals and one of the reasons they keep upping the paperwork hassles for long-term stayers.

WOW were you a psychologist in your last life ? that is excellent advice !

The best cure for somebody who is losing their sanity is to throw them in a third world dungeon :D

:o

If he doesn't have medi vac cover the best suggestion is for him to get a referal to a Psychiatrist here if he is covered, who may be able to provide him with some help in detoxing him from the drink , if that is a significant problem, or giving a more clear diagnosis. However, it does appear to be a multitude of problems here, and if it is possible then getting him back home quick should be the main objective. There may be more to just the drink, and I wouldn't be suprised if there is a history of severe and enduring mental illness.

Depending on what his medical history is, there may be a chance if he is certified that he can be repatriated back home (this does happen in the UK or with UK nationals with a Psych history), I'm sorry I couldn't suggest anything else on that front as I don't really know the US system.

As suggested, speak with he Embassy and take it from there, there may be some cover as well if he is ex-force 9allthough, that may be incorrect). Good luck, sounds like a tricky situation.

Edited by mrtoad

Keep us posted as to how things are going. There are ways to get the embassy in gear if they need a nudge or two. Although they aren't always very nice, this is their job and I've seen (and heard of them) doing some good work.

Well, FunFun, I wouldn't worry about your friend being put in a "monkey house" if he returns to the United States. Very few people are institutiionalized in the USA anymore...and that is a real problem...because many of our "street people" should be institutionalized. If your friend really was in the U.S. Army and was honorably discharged, he might be able to get into a V.A. hospital that specializes in treatment of alcoholism or mental illness. The bottom line is that if he stays in Thailand in his current condition and he doesn't have any funds for private treatment, then good luck because he won't have any safety nets.

Edited by farang prince

If he is a US Military Veteran who is disabled or incapacitated, retired and or financially indigent he may eligible for VA overseas medical assistance.

The nearest VA hospital to bangkok is:

VA Regional Office

1131 Roxas Blvd.

Manila, Philippines

Telephone: 011-632-521-7521

Internet messaging: Ask a Question

VA Outpatient Clinic Office

2201 Roxas Blvd.

Pasay City, Philippines

Telephone: 011-632-838-4566

. If a veteran becomes seriously ill overseas, will VA pay for my hospital expenses and/or return to the United States?

If you are a U.S. veteran residing or traveling in a foreign country, excluding Canada and the Philippines, and you become critically ill, VA will pay the cost of necessary and acceptable health care services only for your VA rated service-connected disabilities or for the care of a condition(s) associated with and aggravating your VA rated service-connected disabilities. VA will not pay for transportation costs to return to the United States.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/foreign/forfaq.htm#3

Who to Contact on VA Benefits Claims Issues While Abroad

The following e-mail links are used to direct your inquiry to the appropriate VA office, based on the country where you live and the nature of your inquiry. Click on the link that applies to you.

You must provide your name, E-mail address, telephone and/or telefax number, and VA file number/Social Security Number. We will do our best to respond within a reasonable amount of time (usually 3 to 10 workdays).

NOTICE: INTERNET E-MAIL IS NOT SECURE

Please be advised that information you send and receive via e-mail over the Internet can be intercepted and read by individuals other than the intended recipient. Because we have no way on knowing who may have access to the computer from which you sent your e-mail message, a response to your message that contains sensitive or personal information will be sent via traditional methods such as telephone, or surface mail. Please include your preferred method for VA's response in your message.

FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT (ONLY)

(All Countries Except the Philippines)

VA Foreign Medical Program Office

PO Box 65021

Denver, CO 80207-5021

Telefax: 303-331-7803

E-mail: [email protected]

FOR EDUCATION BENEFITS (ONLY)

VA Regional Office

PO Box 4616

Buffalo, New York 14240-4616

Telefax: 716-551-3332

Internet Contact: Education Questions and Answers

FOR LIFE INSURANCE BENEFITS

VA Regional Office and Insurance Center

P O Box 7208

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19101

Telefax: (888) 748-5822

Web Form: Insurance

Other Internet Contact: Contact the VA

FOR HOME LOAN GUARANTY BENEFITS

VA Loan Eligibility Center

PO Box 20729

Winston-Salem, NC 27120

For overnight delivery:

VA Loan Eligibility Center

251 N. Main St.

Winston-Salem, NC 27155

Toll free number: 1-888-244-6711

FOR VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION AND EMPLOYMENT BENEFITS

VA Regional Office, Pittsburgh, PA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following VA offices have jurisdiction over specific areas of the world.

If you are a U. S. veteran living in one of these areas abroad, you may now contact one of these offices using a secure electronic messaging program VA calls IRIS (Inquiry Routing and Information System). This is a more secure type of messaging than straight e-mail because it uses web based forms and encrypted links for you to transmit your personal information. However, VA is still unable to return personal information via this technology because VA cannot be assured that the person having access to the computer used to get to the response is either the veteran or other person entitled to the information.

Click on one of the links below,

Select "Ask a Question,"

Click on the "Question" radio button, and,

Select "Benefits Issues Outside the U.S."

Click on "Next"

In the "Question Section" of the web form, select the appropriate jurisdiction.

MEXICO, SOUTH & CENTRAL

AMERICA, the CARIBBEAN

Benefits Only

VA Regional Office

6900 Almeda Road

Houston, TX 77030

Telefax: 713-794-3818

Internet Contact: Select (Benefits Issues Outside the U.S.) / Latin America & Carribean

ALL OTHER COUNTRIES (Except the Philippines)

Benefits Only

VA Regional Office

Foreign Claims

1000 Liberty Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15222-4004

Telefax: 412-395-6057

Internet Contact: Select (Benefits Issues Outside the U.S.) / Any other country

CANADA

Benefits Only

VA Medical and Regional Office Center

Hartland Road

White River Junction, VT 05009

Telefax: 802-296-5174

Internet Contact: Select (Benefits Issues Outside the U.S.) / Canada Specific

PHILIPPINES

Benefits and Medical Care

VA Regional Office:

1131 Roxas Blvd.

Manila, Philippines

Telefax: 011-632-521-5056

Internet Contact: Select (Compensation & Pension Benefits) / Philippines

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/foreign/forinqu.htm

Good luck....

If he expresses a desire to stop drinking, members of Alcoholics Anonymous will gladly stop by the hospital and help. He can contact them at www.aathailand.org for assistance with his drinking problems and concurrent ills.

Sunrise that would be the best help this man could ever ask for! Thanks for putting your answer in there !! :o