Can I Get A Work Permit

Hi All, first post ...

I've just got my non-immigrant OA visa here in Toronto, no stamp saying I cannot work, coming to BKK in 6 weeks, and my GF just told me she has a friend who works in the "work permit issuing" dept in Bangkok and am I interested in getting one?

Having the OA visa, if I can work, what are the circumstances?

If I try to use this contact to get a work permit, what are likely outcomes?

Regards and please don't flame.

Hi All, first post ...

I've just got my non-immigrant OA visa here in Toronto, no stamp saying I cannot work, coming to BKK in 6 weeks, and my GF just told me she has a friend who works in the "work permit issuing" dept in Bangkok and am I interested in getting one?

Having the OA visa, if I can work, what are the circumstances?

If I try to use this contact to get a work permit, what are likely outcomes?

Regards and please don't flame.

Did you get the O-A based on retirement ?

I applied, said my reason for coming to Thailand was retirement ... the consul general here is quite a character .... an old "very hot' cold warrior. But in the passport ... it just says O-A and multiple entries .. I paid $200 CDN ... about 6000 Baht.

Immigration will get a copy of the original application, and you might find it difficult to get a work permit as a retiree. The WP issuance is handled by a different Department altogether. The girlfriends friend may prove invaluable to you. If you are married to a Thai, it is a breeze to get a WP on any O class visa.