Evaluate Me

quiksilva

I like the framing created by the leaves on the top left and trees on the bottom right.

That makes the shot for me.

The second shot is an unremarkable skyline.........

PS the resolution is fine.

For screen viewing 72dpi is optimum and also prevents others pirating your photos as prints.

It seems you have an eye for the rule of thirds, that is helpful for your composition.

The first shot suffers a bit from the extra leaves jutting in from the top. I took them out and made a subtle crop. The second image is crying out to be more linear. there is a bit too much trees at the bottom and sky at the top. I gave it a trim, to bring more attention to the houses.

The thrid image is really nice, I wouldn't change a thing. Excellent composition.

post-10408-1199434071_thumb.jpg

post-10408-1199434087_thumb.jpg

Edited by canuckamuck

I'd just claw back a bit of detail in the sky area, and add a bit of contrast.

You're not giving yourself credit by stating that you haven't a clue what you're doing. As canackamuck says, you've a good eye.

p.s. sorry pic posted twice!

Edited by The Vulcan

Ah yes I see what you mean by the skyline, and framing thanks.

Here's another, this one was taken at Srinakarin Dam

I really like this photo, great compositon and beautiful scene.

Here is an alternative treatment. I have increased the dynamic range in the sky to bring out the clouds and increase the colour saturation of the sky (a bit like using a polarised filter)

I have also increase the saturation of the green foliage. My version may be a bit too "artificial" for your taste, but at least shows an example of an alternative treatment.

cheers

nm

post-22744-1200190624_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate being critical of other people's photographs because there are different reasons for taking a picture.

1. The picture is just a memory of your trip

2. You are trying to illustrate the beauty of an area

3. You are actually trying to be creative artistically by using a different view point.

In the 3 pictures above I would suggest the #1 and #2 were the reasons for taking the pictures. However, neither picture appeals to me visually.

In the third photo (of the dam area), I believe it has potential. It is a far more dramtic picture with much more going for it. However, taken in the middle of a sunny day it loses it's potential of dramatic lighting.

I hate being critical of other people's photographs because there are different reasons for taking a picture.

3. You are actually trying to be creative artistically by using a different view point.

In the 3 pictures above I would suggest the #1 and #2 were the reasons for taking the pictures. However, neither picture appeals to me visually.

In the third photo (of the dam area), I believe it has potential. It is a far more dramtic picture with much more going for it. However, taken in the middle of a sunny day it loses it's potential of dramatic lighting.

The problem with all of these is they were taken between 10am - 2pm or thereabouts. The one taken at the dam has the most potential. Need a human element IMO. Some kids jumping of that raft or someone fishing  - then it begins to tell a story.

• 2 months later...

The problem with all of these is they were taken between 10am - 2pm or thereabouts. The one taken at the dam has the most potential. Need a human element IMO. Some kids jumping of that raft or someone fishing - then it begins to tell a story.

unbearable member's advice is good. What makes good photographs is good light. For landscapes, that usually means from dawn until mid-morning and mid afternoon to sunset. Sometimes, of course, you take what you can get, but if you get obsessive about it, always a mark in a 'good' photographer, you've got to get up early and work quickly. The light never stops changing. And, of course, even more importantly if you're there at a bad time of the day, is some life in the image, a bird, a boat, something to draw the viewer's eye, otherwise it isn't worth a second look.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool thx guys, I see what your driving at. I can definitely see how the human element would add a story to the picture, and understand how that would be a more appealing image.

I guess most of my pics tend to fall in the second category, capturing the beauty of the area. All good feedback and most appreciated.

Cheers!

Ah yes I see what you mean by the skyline, and framing thanks.

Here's another, this one was taken at Srinakarin Dam

I really like this photo, great compositon and beautiful scene.

Here is an alternative treatment. I have increased the dynamic range in the sky to bring out the clouds and increase the colour saturation of the sky (a bit like using a polarised filter)

I have also increase the saturation of the green foliage. My version may be a bit too "artificial" for your taste, but at least shows an example of an alternative treatment.

cheers

nm

Great work 'NordicMan' as it really needed your (dynamic range in the sky to bring out the clouds and increase the colour saturation of the sky). Now that is how I like a landscape to look like.

Thank you nm :wai:

Cool thx guys, I see what your driving at. I can definitely see how the human element would add a story to the picture, and understand how that would be a more appealing image.

I guess most of my pics tend to fall in the second category, capturing the beauty of the area. All good feedback and most appreciated.

Cheers!

Hi 'quiksilva',

Nice landscape shots 'With-Out' the human element which I do really enjoy.

Please try 'nm' idea above to get the best out of your photos. :whistling: I have done this without the 'Monks', 'Goats' etc. :lol: or other things taking over the beauty of a landscape photo B) then, take a photo with the human/animal element in it and con-pear them later side be side ;).

Please lets us know which one you like.:D

Kan Win :ph34r: