Two Tourists In Pai Shot By A Police Officer

invalidusername

According to Thai TV today Pai Police are considering sueing the girl for resisting arrest!

LOL oh man that is "rich." Amazing Thailand.

Am I right in thinking she would have to remain in the Kingdom until her case comes up if she is sued by the Police?

If charged with assaulting a policeman, she could be kept on remand without bail. The police usually argue there is a high risk of a foreigner absconding. Best case would be bail and forfeiture of passport which is most likely as even Canada might cut up rough, if their citizen was jailed for being a victim of attempted murder.

So if the Police do want to sweep this whole mess under the carpet as quickly as possible it wouldn't be in their best interests to charge her with anything.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to Thai TV today Pai Police are considering sueing the girl for resisting arrest!

Am I right in thinking she would have to remain in the Kingdom until her case comes up if she is sued by the Police?

If charged with assaulting a policeman, she could be kept on remand without bail. The police usually argue there is a high risk of a foreigner absconding. Best case would be bail and forfeiture of passport which is most likely as even Canada might cut up rough, if their citizen was jailed for being a victim of attempted murder.

So if the Police do want to sweep this whole mess under the carpet as quickly as possible it wouldn't be in their best interests to charge her with anything.

Its not only a good scare tactic (do not come after us or we will come after you) it also clouds the issue and takes the blame away from the officer and puts it on the vicitm. It's the smartest thing they could do to achieve their goal of complete blamelessness on the officers part. He will not be punished in any way, they have done this before and will use the same tactics again and again because it works.

Damian

I'm not sure that we've determined if the lovely Canadian woman was pregnant or not. Murder is the leading cause of death for pregnant women in the United States. I would imagine it's not quite so bad here in Thailand.

I'm pretty sure, several pages ago, that the Police had retracted that statement.

Its not only a good scare tactic (do not come after us or we will come after you) it also clouds the issue and takes the blame away from the officer and puts it on the vicitm. It's the smartest thing they could do to achieve their goal of complete blamelessness on the officers part. He will not be punished in any way, they have done this before and will use the same tactics again and again because it works.

Damian

They know she can't afford a decent lawyer and that the Canadian Embassy staff are clueless socialites who will only help by sticking a list of recommended law firms who know how to apply for work permits in her face, if they bother at all. When I was harrassed by police I was able to get in a team of top criminal lawyers and the first thing they did was to go to Metropolitan HQ and file a complaint of illegal search owing to a technical error they spotted in the police search warrant. This immediately put the police on the back foot and they suddenly abandoned their plan to take me and some of my staff into custody on Friday afternoon (a favorite practice because you cannot easily post bail until the banks are open again on Monday, if they don't have a civil servant to use their position as surety.) So you spend the week-end squatting on the floor in the police cells with all the drunks, speed freaks, motorbike thieves and mosquitos. In the end I paid the lawyers over Baht 100,000 for half a day's work but it was well worth it. Since Carly doesn't have this option, the police can play with her like cats with a mouse and she has no clue whether they can really press charges or what her rights are in Thai law. They are the ones who have told her that her life will be in danger in Pai and they should know. They are going to force her to fly to Mae Hong Song, in the same province as Pai, to give evidence instead which will also be pretty scary for her. They might be angling to scare her into leaving the country and never coming back to testify in court. In any case the cost for her may be prohibitive and her family sounds as if it will be a stretch for them just to pay her medical bills. With her gone Fuen is definitely not going bother testifying against the cop and it sounds as if they are also threatening him with charges of assaulting a cop and resisting arrest, even though he was walking some yards behind. Whether Carly stays in Thailand or not, it is looking like an open and shut case in favor of the policeman. His obviously fictitious account of the shooting which contradicts physical evidence may never even be discussed in court.

Totally disagree.

'Thai Culture', 'Thai Mindset' and 'Thai Way of Thinking' are merely excuses for the Thais laziness, refusal to act in an adult manner, their inability to take responsibility for their actions and many of their other failings as a society, culturally and as a country.

It is time they stopped shirking and started to grow up as a nation and act as responsible individuals.

Finally, someone with a handle on the reality of the situation. :o

Corruption in Thailand is a fact, and so is it's history. If you have a problem understanding how the origins of the civil service system of patron/client relationships evolved from the Sak Dina system into its current state, and cuts across every bureaucratic institution in Thailand including the police, you are the one who is seeing things off color. I am not saying things are black and white, but if you are going to try and bully people into refraining from calling a spade a spade, then you are behaving like the ignorant one here. There's a remedy for ignorance - read:

The Thai Village Economy in the Past by Chatthip Nartsupha

Pasuk Pongphaichit and Chris Baker - all of their books, and her website: http://pioneer.netserv.chula.ac.th/~ppasuk/papers.htm

David K. Wyatthttp:

Transparency International //www.infoplease.com/world/statistics/2007-transparency-international-corruption-perceptions.html

Thou protest too much.

If you don't like Thailand, why do you post here? If you don't like it, and it does not suit all I agree, why do you hang on posting when you move elsewhere?

Resentment because of failed ambitions? I dont know, but this is starting to look like a rant for a rants sake.

Many are happy here, perhaps you mixed in the wrong circles?

You are confused.

It's because we like Thailand and want to continue live here that we protest regarding insane things.

Why would you silently support corruption? Do you have anything to gain from it?

After reading this thread with interest, I would like to add a few comments. One can easily spot from the replies in this thread the people that may have been to Thailand on holiday, to those people that have been living in this country for some time. The 'holiday' posters are viewing this 'act' with their western values, nothing wrong in that at all, however many Thai's have no interest or understanding of western values. No matter how angry it will make people, the facts in this case will be what the Thai Police say they will be, why let the truth get in the way of an incident that the Thai's will want to brush under the carpet as soon as possible. Some posters have asked the question of what was the motive or reasoning behind the off duty Police Officer approaching the couple in the first instance. Those of you that have lived here for some time will understand what I am about to say, others will find this difficult to understand. Most Thai's do not make a decision based on reason or the facts presented before them, they will make a decision based on their feelings, this is why the Police Officer will not admit any guilt or that he had done any wrong, because how could his feelings be wrong! Many Thai's will only ever feel 'shame' when they have been seen to lose 'face' amongst their peers, they will never feel guilt or admit any responsibility, due to the fact that they carried out the act based on their feelings, and again, how can your feelings be wrong? I do not condone what happened, I am just trying to explain to some posters that the difference in western and Thai culture is so very deep, that unless you are Thai, no matter how many years you live here, you will never truly understand the Thai mindset. With that said, and hoping that I have not caused any ill feeling to any reader, the out come of this case, as always, will be a positive result for the Police Officer, and anger, and none understanding to every one else.

It took 799 posts to get it right. I agree with the crux of what you're saying. Because it's so hard to understand the Thai way of thinking (at times) I tend to only associate with a few Thai friends of high morals and my falang friends. I avoid the Thai police when possible. Imagine making friends with a Thai cop and one day he asks for a favor. What if it's something you don't want to do.......how would you feel.......what would you think......would you say no?

This is a case of a small man with a gun who was embarrassed; in his mind at the time the only thing to do was retaliate and restore face.

Totally disagree.

'Thai Culture', 'Thai Mindset' and 'Thai Way of Thinking' are merely excuses for the Thais laziness, refusal to act in an adult manner, their inability to take responsibility for their actions and many of their other failings as a society, culturally and as a country.

It is time they stopped shirking and started to grow up as a nation and act as responsible individuals.

I don't think that you are in disagreement to be honest. Learningcurve is stating an aspect of the way Thais conduct themselves that anybody who has spent the requisite time here is familiar with. He is pointing out the difference in the way respective societies deal with things whilst not making excuses or judging the values he's refering to.

I personally agree with what he says and your comments that it is a lazy and immature approach to life that causes a huge number of problems throughout Thai society. This much we can understand. Getting your head around how and why these are such commonly found character traits (especially amongst Thai men) is a little harder to achieve

Edited by JungleJim

Gaz Chiangmai states

As someone quoted earlier "the nail that stands out will be hammered down" - in respect to my appearance I have always tried to avoid that particular problem, unlike the "mobs" of latterday hippies that appeared all over Chiangmai earlier this week, and which, according to guest house owners and tour operators I know, abandoned Pai as soon as the shootings became public knowledge. Whenever some of them walked past me I started itching and scratching - it may have been personal prejudice and/or psychosomatic, but that's how they made me feel - imagine how they make the Thais feel.

Don't waste your time on the hippies not enough of them around town to bother with. I suggest you start a clean up, personal hygiene detail for all those older expats who in CM these days. Personally It doesn't bother me if they saunter about in beat up shorts and dirty singlet mind you, or drinking Leo at 9am, it's just that the bad image forms a general impression in the local Thai mind. Then out comes the hammer. Lets work on something a little closer to home and a greater potential problem than hippies. Your safety and mine depends on it. :o

So answer this question: Was almost being killed and having been severely wounded, and the other falang was killed, not punishment enough? That you would be happy they would add jail time or some other punishment seems outrageous.

Also, there is no proof she is lying yet, not to mention the fact that the encounters she had previously in her words hardly seem like she was out looking for trouble, more like trying to defend her boyfriend.... it was still stupid but its not like shes out picking fights with people. There are far worse falangs in Thailand than her, and lots of them.

Damian

Damian,

Do you always answere a question with a question? Nice diversionary tactic!

I'll not engage in a debate with you. I have my opinion and you have yours. On this matter never the twain shall meet.

Sorry I honestly didnt think it was a real question. The answer is obvious like another poster said recently. Someone DIED and the other was almos killed too..... over what you think of as undesirable behaviour, that is why I defend her, I defend her right to be annoying without fear of death. I keep trying to ask you if the death penalty is a suitable punishment for that but you wont answer.

Damian

Damian,

To answere your question,no I do not and am very much opposed to capital punishment for capital crimes, which this is not. However, in this case I believe you are thinking that Uthai was judge,jury AND executioner. He may have over reacted and accidentally discharged is weapon in fear. I don't know, nor does anyone else here.

However, to stay on topic, lets wait till all the irrefutable evidence is presented after a complete, thorough investigation is completed,not only by Thai authorities, but also by independent authorities ie Canadian Gov't.

Nobody says this is nice what happened.

The main point of all is that people (foreigners, farrangs in Thailand) have to realize that it is just another reality in another part of the world with not only different looking, but totally different thinking people.

It is just not right to put our moral views on that situation. Insult Georg W. or whoever ... well no problem.

Insult the King of Thailand and you are in trouble. The same is it with slapping policemen.

She was known as a troublemaker - thats now a fact - in a country which is not hers, with an age .... well, maybe they were just waiting for her to cause trouble again and he thought ... " now I show you ...b..@tch and it got out of hand.

Well it's the same illusion when you think you have "a right" for dole when you are out of work or can't find one.

Or you have "a right" for a lawyer. Or that a doctor MUST take care even if you have no insurance in the case your life is in danger. Or HUMAN RIGHTS. It's an illusion as long there is a government who stands for it, it might be realizeable.

This all is "good" and "true" in our eyes, but it's a reality created by our culture and our people.

Just imagine there will happen a natural disaster and everything breaks down.

Then claim your rights, for dole, for insurance ..........

My point is "This is Thailand" (like they stated on economical issues) and there are other rules - the law of the stronger is more in place and a hierarchy between the peoples ranks. That are easily the rules of the Thai and their culture.

This is not to clear the policeman for being a killer which he is.

I just don't like this wrong moral of the family and a country of a spoiled brat - and that IS what she is.

Just check out what she has done in Canada before, you might find something.

Being a farrang women in Thailand on its own is dangerous enough, having different boyfriends and changing them ... my gosh, she is lucky with her behaiviour that she is still alive.

Well, another one payed that price for her.

Summary: You stay away from police ... even the guys (farrang) who claim this is a policeman and he is my friends ... if you have trouble ..... he take care. (it will cost you and you won't be free anymore).

If you see police avoid contact, if unavoidable, be as friendly and careful as you can and smile - even if he is unfriendly or even if he insults you. Then go away still smiling, and bowing ... I promise you will keep your life.

I am no pussy, but rather prefer to be smart then death in such a situation.

I know Garry know a story ... and the result is always:

A FARANG JUST CAN'T WIN A FIGHT IN THAILAND - AGAINST WHOM EVER.

If you win, you loose just later to a higher price. If you loose at first and you are still alive - you are lucky.

And now imagine to slap a policemen - I tell you 9 from ten gonna kill ya.

my 2 cents.

Edited by Maxi101

Being a farrang women in Thailand on its own is dangerous enough, having different boyfriends and changing them ... my gosh, she is lucky with her behaiviour that she is still alive.

<deleted>. Double standard apologist bull.

<deleted>. Double standard apologist bull.

What you are saying is exactly what I mean man - how you can state that as a moderator.

Double standard bull - WHAT STANDARDS man?

Your standards right ?

Uh uhhhhh...

Actually dear it is WOMAN not man, a women who lived in thailand for many years & who had a few different thai bf before meeting my thai husband. Dont' presume that other people hold the same ridiculous standards to women or western women that you do. Plenty of thai women change bf's & normal thai & non thai people do not view them as deserving any recriminations so this women wouldn't be viewed as a trouble maker or askign for trouble for having 2 (reported) thai bf's either.

Actually dear it is WOMAN not man, a women who lived in thailand for many years & who had a few different thai bf before meeting my thai husband. Dont' presume that other people hold the same ridiculous standards to women or western women that you do. Plenty of thai women change bf's & normal thai & non thai people do not view them as deserving any recriminations so this women wouldn't be viewed as a trouble maker or askign for trouble for having 2 (reported) thai bf's either.

Congratulation for that masterpiece !

What would you have done if the first one wouldn't like you quit him, or did he quit you?

Just curious.

maxi

They know she can't afford a decent lawyer and that the Canadian Embassy staff are clueless socialites who will only help by sticking a list of recommended law firms who know how to apply for work permits in her face, if they bother at all. When I was harrassed by police I was able to get in a team of top criminal lawyers and the first thing they did was to go to Metropolitan HQ and file a complaint of illegal search owing to a technical error they spotted in the police search warrant. This immediately put the police on the back foot and they suddenly abandoned their plan to take me and some of my staff into custody on Friday afternoon (a favorite practice because you cannot easily post bail until the banks are open again on Monday, if they don't have a civil servant to use their position as surety.) So you spend the week-end squatting on the floor in the police cells with all the drunks, speed freaks, motorbike thieves and mosquitos. In the end I paid the lawyers over Baht 100,000 for half a day's work but it was well worth it. Since Carly doesn't have this option, the police can play with her like cats with a mouse and she has no clue whether they can really press charges or what her rights are in Thai law. They are the ones who have told her that her life will be in danger in Pai and they should know. They are going to force her to fly to Mae Hong Song, in the same province as Pai, to give evidence instead which will also be pretty scary for her. They might be angling to scare her into leaving the country and never coming back to testify in court. In any case the cost for her may be prohibitive and her family sounds as if it will be a stretch for them just to pay her medical bills. With her gone Fuen is definitely not going bother testifying against the cop and it sounds as if they are also threatening him with charges of assaulting a cop and resisting arrest, even though he was walking some yards behind. Whether Carly stays in Thailand or not, it is looking like an open and shut case in favor of the policeman. His obviously fictitious account of the shooting which contradicts physical evidence may never even be discussed in court.

Arkady spot on again. This is almost unnerving! Spoke to Drummond today who says he wd like to give u a job but probably cant afford you!!!

@bhooooooo

Thank you for giving a good example.

Guess the so much dicussed lady would had reacted in the same way.

You relate what I said to the opinion of the folks for being a trouble maker.

I relate it to the danger of lone women in Thailand and the risks of changing the boyfriends.

ok I will go out now....

I've lived here for many years. I have immersed myself into the Thai culture. I speak, read and write Thai.

I also have many educated Thai and Farrang friends. I have been happily married to my Thai wife for more than 5 years. I first visited Thailand in the early 90's (91.)

Damian, I'm with you.

Tony. :o

ok I will go out now....

jolly good, better this thread is not tainted by your obviously biased dislike of this women. From reading you posts about her I will presume you know her personally so will bow to your knowledge that she isn't a very nice or wise person but you are obviously blinkered by that knowledge that you cannot see the ridiculoussness of the statement I objected to.

One of the major functions of a national government is to protect the rights of their citizens abroad. In this case, the rights of two people have been violated.

No, the major functions of the foreign consulates of the western governments is to promote trade and encourage the flow of capital out of the smaller countries. Protecting the rights of citizens is a minor function and only comes into play when it might have an impact upon trade issues, for example if the victim in this case had been a business man in the employ of a large corporation. Nobody in the Canadian government really gives a rat's derrière about this unfortunate lad.

The Canadian Embassy is a lot meeker even than the Brits here and it would be a big but pleasant surprise to see them bring in the Mounties.

Actually our fifth Dan blunderbuss seems to want to emulate this fellow Hoser Hero.

post-9366-1200065231_thumb.jpg

What would you have done if the first one wouldn't like you quit him, or did he quit you?

Just curious.

maxi

You don't even realise how sexist you are do you? You obviously come from a culture where it is considered "slutty" or immoral for a woman to have more than one boyfriend in her life right?

Damian

Well, now I have serious problems with Dechawiwit's statement during the reenactment of the crime. He fired three shots at the Canadians while he was falling down? Three shots that hit the victims in the "five ring"? Are you kidding me? I can't believe he was stupid enough to make that statement. He should have stuck to his original story that he was struggling with Del Pinto over control of the gun and that it went off accidentally. But here is the problem with his statement that he fired three shots while falling down...it doesn't correspond to the wound pattern on Del Pinto. He was shot in the mouth and the bullet exited behind the left shoulder. If he fired the three rounds while falling down, the round that hit Del Pinto in the mouth would have continued on an upward trajectory and should have exited in the lower part of the back of the skull. This proves he is lying. To have the bullet exit behind the left shoulder, Dechawiwit would have had to have been above Del Pinto or Del Pinto would have had to have been lunging down in close proximity to the officer. The Thai cop just hung himself.

Farang Prince, You're viewing the tragedy from a westernized logical true-detective perspective. The Thais who inspect the scene (shall we call them detectives?) will only look for things that back up the pre-determined result they have to abide by. In other words, the Thai inspectors won't look at the crime scene objectively and only stick with the facts and what the clues indicate. They will bend over backwards to protect their comrade and to implicate the girl.

Bringing foreign police out doesn't seem to help much. British police spent months in Chiang Mai investigating the murder of Kirsty Jones on several different trips. They were clearly convinced that she was murdered by a tourist policeman but the Chiang Mai police obstructed them every step of the way and refused to accept their evidence for consideration. At the end of the day it depends on who has jurisdiction. The Canadian Embassy is a lot meeker even than the Brits here and it would be a big but pleasant surprise to see them bring in the Mounties.

I imagine it would be very frustrating to be a visiting detective tasked with investigating such a scene. The Thai authorities would be as polite as they'd be restricting. Can you imagine the Thai police allowing a foreigner to pursue a line of tough questioning with a Thai witness - which might implicate their fellow police buddy? I can't.

I've conversed with Thais often enough during the past 23 years to know they are compelled at all times to say the right thing - according to what's expected (by cultural dictates, superiors, pressure groups, etc) rather than what's real in their minds.

The Canadian Embassy is a lot meeker even than the Brits here and it would be a big but pleasant surprise to see them bring in the Mounties.

Actually our fifth Dan blunderbuss seems to want to emulate this fellow Hoser Hero.

Why are you getting personal buddy?

Damian

I relate it to the danger of lone women in Thailand and the risks of changing the boyfriends.

ok I will go out now....

Amen to that! :o

And here was little ole me thinking us gals were living in the 21st century NOT Caveman times... :D (where some posters perhaps still reside....).

Note to self on To Do List: Warn all "Lone Women" of the risks in changing boyfriends... Yeah right... :D .

Was discussing this case and the Bank silence killing case with my Thai girl friend this evening and was reminded to ask her about another murder case closer to home. Just over a year ago her younger brother's best friend from school was shot dead while walking along a Bangkok street in a drive-by fun killing by a juvenile delinquent. The young hoodlum, who didn't know the victim from Adam, leaned out of a bus window in broad daylight and shot him in the head with a home made gun to show off his bravery to his friends. This was in front of a bus full of witnesses and the murderer was arrested immediately and confessed to the crime. Soon it turned out he was the son of a local policeman (not a senior one), so he was let out on bail immediately with his father's position as surety. Today there has been no progress at all in the prosecution of what should be an open and shut case and the victim's father, who is not a very wealthy or well educated man, after being stonewalled and threatened repeatedly by police for a year has sadly resigned himself to the fact that he will never see justice done for his son. Meanwhile, the murderer is happily roaming the streets terrorising people and may well have killed again by now. The case has never reported on at all on TV or in any Thai or English language print media. These type of cases where police (and even their families) kill or maim with apparent impunity must be so common in Thailand that the media don't bother to report them, unless there is something of special interest in the story e.g. foreign victims or the amputation of pretty young girl's arm.

You know - Arkady - I didn't even finish reading your post - partly cause my wife has been through a similar incident, and partly cause it says so much -- without reading on. (you want to PM we you can) Violent death here is routine - though you wouldn't know it would you, reading so much drivel in the media.

When there is a party - alcohol and a "CONCERT" as they plan today at a friend's home (esp in Issaan) - it means fights - ask any Issaan family and they'll tell you the same.

My view is that Thailand burries its head in the sand about things we're not allowed to discuss, precisely so we can't talk about the people who rule the roost and just to be clear I DON'T MEAN THE MONARCHY. Meantime, everyone else is bowing and scraping to the real powers - an imaginary ghost - their own - commercialism of people who DON'T LOOK LIKE THAT THEM in some stupid mass media aimed at the Issan types..while the rich carry on their BS ways

Just curious.

maxi

It is true that many modern Thai women can manage to change boyfriends of their own volition but the majority are either dumped or leave because they caught the guy in flagrante with their best friend or similar. I remember a farang woman who married a Thai from a wealthy family she met at graduate school in her home country. When they moved to Thailand he reverted to type pretty quickly and started spending two fixed nights a week with a mia noi. By this time he was an army captain and his father was a politician. His wife tried but couldn't adapt to this aspect of Thai culture and finally asked for a divorce. He felt this was a terminal loss of face and refused. She left him anyway, found her own apartment and carried on her job in Bkk which she enjoyed. She was bombarded at first with requests to come back and then finally with death threats. She went into hiding for a few weeks hoping he would cool down and she could reason with him. This never happened and he employed people to follow her. She became paranoid and would break out into a cold sweat while sitting at traffic lights. She ended up slipping out of the country, only telling her one or two closest friends, and never came back.