Rare Car

corkscrew

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a Mustang like that orange one running around Chiang Mai. It's black, LHD, and on blue consular plates. I have'nt got a pic of it yet, though.

BKKW123limo.jpg

The OP's limo ^ is most definately a Benz W123. I don't think they are all that rare, too.

Here's one I say in Chiang Mai last week, behind a shop where it is being re-trimmed:

P1060921.jpg

P1060922.jpg

It is the same conversion, but a diesel this time. Still on BKK plates.

My friend took this picture of one in England:

W123Limo.jpg

Again, the body looks just the same. He said they were available from the MB factory in Germany pre-stretched.

The story of the stretched Saab 9000s is a good one, though.

If we're talking rare motors, has anyone else seen another of these in Thailand?

P1060235.jpg

:o

Personally the best looking limos are cadillacs

This is very rare for SAAB fans....

2005497517584232386_rs.jpg

2005484562658595331_rs.jpg

However, I prefer to drive rather than to sit in the back!!!

Nice cars posted there dave, I saw a red plated Ferrari up in Pai 2 years ago and the same couple in another red plated Ferrari in Chiang Rai this year... I gotta respect them for actually using their car... instead of just parking it in some garage and showing it off....

NSU Ro 80 YES..... now that was a great car + the rotary engine if it was looked after..... would love another, but the petrol bill would be very large as only did about 15 MPG, but what comfort....

Where is that place ? Look at the old Saab in the back a Saab 93?, and is that a Peugeot 404?,

Now that Benz in the corner is a true classic...

'

I could tell you where it is, but then I'd have to kill you...

Joking, it's in Chiang Mai, but unfortunately it was all cleared out last week, and I've yet to discover the new home of all the gems that were there. It now looks like this:

P1060933.jpg

All that remains is a lone Phase 1 BX, and a SII Landy with no axels.

The collection seems to be the hoard of some eccentric collector with an eye for the rare.

The 404:

P1060228.jpg

Colt Coupe:

P1060174.jpg

Saab 95 V4 (?):

P1060288.jpg

And the MB 190b (?)

P1060177.jpg

Also in the line-up...

P1060302.jpg

A trusty Pug 504...

P1060289.jpg

...and a pair of Opel Record PIIs (?):

P1060260.jpg

P1060178.jpg

Waddya reckon... quite a find, eh? :o

KJ

Coo, I served my apprenticeship on Peugeots back in the early '70s. There are a few 504s still going around here. Haven't seen an estate in Thailand though.

I wonder what the story is behind this collection?

I have seen a couple of 504s around Bangkok that look like saloons with a pickup body grafted on the back and I used to see a Fiat Topolino (Mickey Mouse car) off a side soi from Sukhumvit 93 but I left BKK about 4 years ago and I have no idea if it is still there.

Coo, I served my apprenticeship on Peugeots back in the early '70s. There are a few 504s still going around here. Haven't seen an estate in Thailand though.

I have seen a couple of 504s around Bangkok that look like saloons with a pickup body grafted on the back and I used to see a Fiat Topolino (Mickey Mouse car) off a side soi from Sukhumvit 93 but I left BKK about 4 years ago and I have no idea if it is still there.

Yeah, I saw one of those 504s in Loei. It was going the other way and couldn't tell whether it was, as you say, a saloon with a pickup body attached or a 504 pickup with a homemade double-cab body. Looked a bit weird whatever it was.

Oh yeah. Saw a 404 coupe in BKK back in October. A very faded white but appeared to be still going strong.

Ford RS200

Fernhurst Motor Company / TVR dealer has (had) a white one in stock.

Fast, cute and expensive. Apparently each unit cost Ford 150,000+ (sterling) to make. (I don't have a pund sign on this keyboard)

'

Yep, loads of saloons, but I spotted just one tired looking "Break" in the Chiang Mai Airport intersection. It was lop-sided (broken spring?), a soggy tyre, and smoking like a good 'un. On Bkk plates IIRC:

P1030957.jpg

Dunno, but I'm trying to find out more...

Guess what was nest to those 1960s Opel Records...?

P1060255.jpg

P1060180.jpg

I've spapped a few others about town. This one is usually parked outside the WETV office:

P1060931.jpg

Yeah, I saw one of those 504s in Loei. It was going the other way and couldn't tell whether it was, as you say, a saloon with a pickup body attached or a 504 pickup with a homemade double-cab body. Looked a bit weird whatever it was.

P1040937.jpg

P1040934-1.jpg

I did have a good look around these, they all look the same and very well made: almost certainly factory original, rather than aftermarket conversions or home-brew jobs. Also, the cars have 4 stud wheels, thse are all 5 studs, slimilar to the regular pick-ups. I have found no record of them being made in Europe, maybe they came from Peugeot's factories in Argentina or Nigeria??? I know you can still get a brand new 504 there! Go online to Peugeot Nigeria and choose your colour/trim level etc!

There was a French coach builder called "Gruau" that did a conversion from the 505 Break estate but that was a much sleeker looking, less agricultural thing: (Not my pics, these)

P505KruKab.jpg

peugeot_505_pick_up.jpg

Billd... Fiat Topolino, you say? One of these?

P1030711-1.jpg

If anyone knows where I can find a Ford Capri Mark 1 (2.8 preferably) please let me know.

I spotted a smart one... no idea which engine, though:

P1030452-1.jpg

P1030453-1.jpg

This one was way out of town. Do you want to buy one? Good luck, not many about!

Enjoy.

KJ

Thanks for that, KruJoe. I must keep my camera in the car, I think.

Yep, that's the sort of 504 I saw. The rear doors are from the estate but the rear suspension is definitely from the pickup; the estate had two coil springs either side, not leaf springs. Have also seen quite a few 205s and 305s in KK but have never seen a 104, 204 or 304. I wouldn't mind betting there aren't any 604s; you didn't see many of those in Europe! Several Citroens as well. BX, CX and Xantias. There's a brown DS in a "case" by the road between Ban Phai and Phon. I keep meaning to stop and find-out what it's all about. Looks like a restaurant or something.

That Capri looks in good nick.

Edited by micksterbs

If anyone knows where I can find a Ford Capri Mark 1 (2.8 preferably) please let me know.

post-21826-1201609783_thumb.jpgpost-21826-1201609783_thumb.jpg

Hi

The mark 1's were 3 litre(V6) or 2litre(V4) not 2.8. I had one in the UK (no furry dashboard though) :o .

German versions later had twin cam 2.6 & 3.2 (RS) and facelift models also had 2.8injected V6's.All fast cars and very rare. :D

The very last of the V6 Capri's were called Brooklands 280's. they had LSD/inch bigger wheels/numbered plaque inside(only 1032 built) and all came in Brooklands met green. Wish I had one !

Seen s couple of Mark 1's over here but no Mark2's or 3's.

Good luck in your quest

Dave

Ford RS200

Fernhurst Motor Company / TVR dealer has (had) a white one in stock.

Fast, cute and expensive. Apparently each unit cost Ford 150,000+ (sterling) to make. (I don't have a pund sign on this keyboard)

Sure you have it is in the setting………. ADD in Language [EN] English [united Kingdom] then when you click on the ‘EN’ click this and the $ becomes £ Very Easy…….. You can add many and easy switch between them

Maybe there is an easier way ?

• 1 month later...

I bought this a couple of days ago, 1993 Saab 900 turbo classic (last of the 'proper' Saabs), one of only 45 in Thailand. Lovely car and didn't cost the earth.

Cheers.

post-6819-1204721231_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1204721251_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1204721288_thumb.jpg

Edited by INTJ

I bought this a couple of days ago, 1993 Saab 900 turbo classic (last of the 'proper' Saabs), one of only 45 in Thailand. Lovely car and didn't cost the earth.

Cheers.

I know the (former) owner of that car. Are you part of SCOT?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers.

Would love to know why you are now selling it.

what makes you think he's selling it?

Cheers.

Would love to know why you are now selling it.

what makes you think he's selling it?

Saw an ad for it on a classifieds site this morning.

bkkeddy, if you could link me the site i'd buy the car myself. I know the former owner and the car's history and i know the buyer got a good deal on it.... the only bad thing bout the car was the color (gold).

if you saw it on the saab club website then the ad is an old one.

bkkeddy, if you could link me the site i'd buy the car myself. I know the former owner and the car's history and i know the buyer got a good deal on it.... the only bad thing bout the car was the color (gold).

No it's a new Ad. www.bahtsold.com

No it's a new Ad. www.bahtsold.com

Just saw the ad too.... strange. and he's selling it for more than he bought it for.... That deserves a public outing: Trying to make a profit

Edited by jayenram
Personal information removed

Just saw the ad too.... strange. and he's selling it for more than he bought it for.... That deserves a public outing: Trying to make a profit?

Thats naughty.

I mean the outing , not the buying and selling for a profit.